Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero000
Mar 8, 2008

Woof.

troofs posted:

Hi, I'm here to annoyingly evangelize for KoFXIII again. Play KoFXIII! It's really good, I promise!

Thanks for your time.

It really is!!! I bet it's super cheap nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Persona 4 Arena was awesome even if it never really picked up in my area.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
KOFXIII is way more fun than SF4 anyway. That and GG.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Have you heard of the game thir-KOF XIII? I hear it's pretty tits.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Can anyone with GGXXAC+R experience tell me how Kliff was made tournament legal? I really liked him in AC+ and might main him when +R comes out assuming there will be a decent amount of time between the last XX and Xrd.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Can anyone with GGXXAC+R experience tell me how Kliff was made tournament legal? I really liked him in AC+ and might main him when +R comes out assuming there will be a decent amount of time between the last XX and Xrd.

They slowed Kliff and Justice down by increasing the recovery on a lot of their moves mostly. From what I've read Kliff is still pretty good but Justice got hit pretty hard.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Question Mark Mound posted:

Well drat. I really wanna get into a new fighting game since I don't like SF4 (I love chain combo fighters, don't really like the amount of ground links in SF4 combos) and anybody who plays Marvel is just gonna be way too far ahead of me at this point (plus, like with Tekken, there's way too many matchups to learn by now). GGXrd can't come out soon enough.

Skullgirls :)

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Spuckuk posted:

Skullgirls :)
It looks pretty cool but some combos go on a little too long and does anybody still play it?

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
The combo thing will be fixed soon. As to population it's coming out on PC in a week and that's generally a starved audience for fighting games so it'll probably be quite popular online.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
The obvious choice of game to play is Tekken!

Please play Tekken :(

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

It looks pretty cool but some combos go on a little too long and does anybody still play it?

Once the first DLC character hits (August 22nd at the earliest, with the PC release), combo length will be drastically shortened*. Preordering the PC version will let you access the Beta that is testing the new combo mechanics right now.

Also, the scene's gotten a lot bigger since a year of DLC was funded back in March and the PC version is about to be released.

*Basically, a combo point system has been added to the current IPS, where if you're in the part of a combo where the game can allow bursts (or if your combo score is currently above 0), every move you do adds to your combo score, and if you do any links after hitting 350 points then burst is enabled. Also, combo score counts down gradually when the opponent isn't in hitstun over a maximum of 90 frames unless you cause a knockdown, which resets it to 0 instantly. So you get short combos with crazy resets, medium combos followed by a wakeup game, or long combos that force neutral game afterward.

Touches of Death have been effectively removed from the game.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Is the KoFXIII thread linked in the OP gone? Link doesn't work for me and I can't seem to find it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Well drat. I really wanna get into a new fighting game since I don't like SF4 (I love chain combo fighters, don't really like the amount of ground links in SF4 combos) and anybody who plays Marvel is just gonna be way too far ahead of me at this point (plus, like with Tekken, there's way too many matchups to learn by now). GGXrd can't come out soon enough.

If you don't hate BB, CP is coming out in October and it's looking significantly better, faster, and less comboy than previous versions. Also 6 new characters and online training mode and so on.

Still no release date on ACPR but Arcsys claims "soon".

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Unmature posted:

Is the KoFXIII thread linked in the OP gone? Link doesn't work for me and I can't seem to find it.

It's archived since people lost interest in posting on it.

Next in the chopping block is probably the Virtua Fighter thread, which isn't even linked in the OP here.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Buhbuhj posted:

Honestly this is straight up the best answer if you already know you don't like SF4 (even though SF4 owns!??). Great netcode, great training mode, tons of characters to choose from - just a great game all around. The only mark against it is how intimidating it can be (both execution-wise and when facing a huge skill gap vs. a better player) but I certainly wouldn't warn anyone away from the game for that reason.

I'd love to pimp VF5 Final Showdown here since it's pretty much my favorite fighting game of all time but to be totally honest the netcode doesn't compare well to Tekken's and there's pretty much no chance of encountering an offline scene for it unless you live in NYC or wherever they do WNFs in Cali. Or central NC (PLEASE COME PLAY VF WITH ME OH GOD)

It DOES have possibly the greatest dolly dress-up mode of all time though: http://ladyvf.blog59.fc2.com/

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

It's archived since people lost interest in posting on it.

Next in the chopping block is probably the Virtua Fighter thread, which isn't even linked in the OP here.

Aw dang. I love KoF and have been playing XIII since it poped up on PS+. I'm really trying to get into it now though since I just got my first fight stick.

I also watched that KoF Another Day anime last night that sets up Maximum Impact. Was pretty good for a short OVA. I can't believe that's the only anime the game's ever gotten, though. And I guess that live action movie with Ray Park exists.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Broken Loose posted:

*Basically, a combo point system has been added to the current IPS, where if you're in the part of a combo where the game can allow bursts (or if your combo score is currently above 0), every move you do adds to your combo score, and if you do any links after hitting 350 points then burst is enabled. Also, combo score counts down gradually when the opponent isn't in hitstun over a maximum of 90 frames unless you cause a knockdown, which resets it to 0 instantly. So you get short combos with crazy resets, medium combos followed by a wakeup game, or long combos that force neutral game afterward.

I'm having trouble following exactly how this works. It sounds like something you can only test by trial and error in training mode, which is one of the exact problems the IPS was supposed to eliminate.

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???
How similar to Persona 4 Arena is BB:CS? I liked what little of P4A I got to play and wouldn't mind playing a similar game with a more active scene.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I'm having trouble following exactly how this works. It sounds like something you can only test by trial and error in training mode, which is one of the exact problems the IPS was supposed to eliminate.

Each move adds a set amount of combo score (or whatever it's called), so you can still work out what will or won't work with a pen and paper, it's just another thing to keep track of. Granted things start getting messier when you start adding resets, but whatever, seeing Duckator/Severin's playstyle was getting old.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Mattavist posted:

Each move adds a set amount of combo score (or whatever it's called), so you can still work out what will or won't work with a pen and paper, it's just another thing to keep track of. Granted things start getting messier when you start adding resets, but whatever, seeing Duckator/Severin's playstyle was getting old.

If I understand this right, you could do a really long combo, let somebody out for 90 frames, then do that long combo again and everything's peachy, but if you only let them out for 89 frames they'll get to burst somewhere in the middle of your combo. I hope there's a UI element indicating if you're at 0 points because otherwise I think dealing with hitstun decay would be easier.

I'm pretty disappointed all around, the IPS was an elegant solution that made it easy to see what exactly went wrong. If combos are too long just make the IPS stricter, if they're too damaging make damage scaling more severe. If you have to add a point system why not keep it simple, something like: if you use a move multiple times in a combo it adds points, 1 point for normals and 2 for specials, at 10 points your opponent can burst.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

thatinfernalpigeon posted:

How similar to Persona 4 Arena is BB:CS? I liked what little of P4A I got to play and wouldn't mind playing a similar game with a more active scene.

BB:CS is much slower in general but the two are fairly similar in style overall. BB doesn't have the 2-button DPs, autocombos, awakening mode, air turn, roll, or shorthop from P4A. BB instead has Faultless Defense, some unique guard crush mechanics, and a fairly unique ground teching system. Throws kind of really suck in BB but there's no shortage of people getting hit with stuff anyway. If you like the way characters work in P4A (character + stand), you'll feel right at home playing Carl or Relius in BB.

BB:CP (the new one) is actually much faster than CS, and is pretty close to P4A in terms of speed.

Saying BB has an active scene is being a bit generous I think though. I guess there might still a decent number of people playing it online? And the netcode is identical to P4A's for whatever that's worth. But yeah there will probably be a bunch of people jumping back on it when CP comes out, whether they'll stick with it for long or not is another story of course.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 24, 2013

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Tekken is a game I've always wanted to get into, but it's not a game you can get anywhere in without being able to recognise other characters' moves and knowing a lot of detail about if and how punishable things are. Like with Marvel, it just seems far too daunting right now.

Are KOF's systems less complex and weird than they seem? I'm used to having three types of blocking and multiple bursts etc from GG and BB but any time someone has tried to explain Mega NeoMAX HD Hyper Cancels or whatever to me it's just kind of gone over my head.

As for BlazBlue, I was hugely into it with CT and CS1, got sick of it really early into CS2 and just straight up didn't play CSEX. I could maybe get into CP when it's out, but it's a game that I know for a fact that more or less none of my fighting game buddies will even entertain.

Skullgirls having shorter combos will definitely help. The PC port will be handy since my TV is on the blink at the moment.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Many of the current Persona players are dropping the game for either the new version of BB or whatever version of GG drops first, so BB will be bigger soon...ish

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Buhbuhj posted:

Tekken is awesome, but hard to get into..and he said he wanted a chain combo fighter, so..

As for Skullgirls, I'm playing the PC Beta, and the combos have been toned down a lot with the changes that are made, it's likely to have a good sized PC community, as we have nothing else with decent netcode.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

AXE COP posted:

The combo thing will be fixed soon. As to population it's coming out on PC in a week and that's generally a starved audience for fighting games so it'll probably be quite popular online.

In addition to that, the indiegogo campaign raised awareness of the game like a zillion fold. I wouldnt doubt all versions would get a huge revival when Squigly/Steam port comes out.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Tekken is a game I've always wanted to get into, but it's not a game you can get anywhere in without being able to recognise other characters' moves and knowing a lot of detail about if and how punishable things are. Like with Marvel, it just seems far too daunting right now.

All that stuff definitely helps in Tekken(and every other game), but you can get by just fine learning on the fly.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Dj Meow Mix posted:

They slowed Kliff and Justice down by increasing the recovery on a lot of their moves mostly. From what I've read Kliff is still pretty good but Justice got hit pretty hard.

Old now but whatever. Pretty sure Kliff is rear end now too, unless something changed. He was tied with Zappa for being best character in a previous revision of +R

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
They released a patch that decimated Kliff. He was the best character in the game and really easy to boot, but they junked him. Justice got a couple of nice buffs, but I think they both sit at low tier but not awful now.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Are KOF's systems less complex and weird than they seem? I'm used to having three types of blocking and multiple bursts etc from GG and BB but any time someone has tried to explain Mega NeoMAX HD Hyper Cancels or whatever to me it's just kind of gone over my head.

KoF is actually really simple. There are two bars, one lets you do EX moves and supers (and some supers have EX versions that cost 2 bars), then you have the drive bar which lets you cancel special moves into other special moves (called a drive cancel). When your drive bar is full you can activate HD mode, this lets you do big combos by drive canceling a bunch of times; in addition your level 3 (called a Neo Max) only costs 2 bars to perform and you can cancel your supers into it (called a Max Cancel). KoF also has rolls (invincible, but throwable) and blowback attacks (they always knock down), while blocking you can spend a bar to cancel your blockstun into either. Lastly y'got your 4 different jumps: standard jump, super jump (slightly higher/farther/faster than a regular jump), the short hop, and the super hop (slightly higher/farther/faster than a regular hop).

KoF is a lot of fun and if you have people to play against then go for it. There are a lot of ways to play the neutral game and so there's a lot more adapting to your opponent's playstyle. The execution in the game is difficult, but it feels fair at the same time; it's like every step of your combos is slightly difficult, but nothing is overly so. I can always feel when I've dropped a combo in KoF, I can tell my timing was off, which is very unlike trying to hit difficult stuff in SF or MvC.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Waterbed posted:

They released a patch that decimated Kliff. He was the best character in the game and really easy to boot, but they junked him. Justice got a couple of nice buffs, but I think they both sit at low tier but not awful now.
How bad is Justice, exactly? I kinda want to try GG after +R comes out on consoles but Justice is the only character that seems interesting to me at all.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Yeah, it's a lot less complex than it looks. I got beat on explaining it, but here's a link to the "systems guide" page of the SRK wiki, it has some videos that are really nice. The first video especially shows how simple the HD system actually is.

Please play KoF!

Buhbuhj posted:

I've been playing some and it's really fun. It also gave me an excuse to join the Korean gaming master race and pick up one of these bad boys: the crown 303FK. This thing is really great. It's a Korean style joystick that fits into a Japanese style case so I can use it with my Sanwa buttons.
And now I can finally say it:
gently caress ball tops. gently caress square gates. Yeah yeah, anything but a japanese-parts stick with a square gate is for a gate riding babby or a tekken player, I know. I've owned a bunch and I tried for years to like them, but honestly I just hate they way those sticks feel and I love this one. Besides, all the cafeid guys and infiltration play on these sticks and they don't look like scrubs to me. I'm just riding on the wave of the future grampa :c00lbert:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Waterbed posted:

Kliff even post nerfing is still pretty good. Justice is bottom tier by herself, not entirely unusable but has some pretty much unwinnable matchups.

Also he was never the best character in ACPR, Zappa was prior to the nerfs.

Edit: Sounds like some people thought Kliff was better and some thought Zappa was, guess it's not really worth splitting hairs over since it's long gone anyway.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 24, 2013

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Fenn the Fool! posted:

KoF is actually really simple. There are two bars, one lets you do EX moves and supers (and some supers have EX versions that cost 2 bars), then you have the drive bar which lets you cancel special moves into other special moves (called a drive cancel). When your drive bar is full you can activate HD mode, this lets you do big combos by drive canceling a bunch of times; in addition your level 3 (called a Neo Max) only costs 2 bars to perform and you can cancel your supers into it (called a Max Cancel). KoF also has rolls (invincible, but throwable) and blowback attacks (they always knock down), while blocking you can spend a bar to cancel your blockstun into either. Lastly y'got your 4 different jumps: standard jump, super jump (slightly higher/farther/faster than a regular jump), the short hop, and the super hop (slightly higher/farther/faster than a regular hop).

It's probably worth noting that a neo max outside of HD mode will not only cost 3 bars but all your drive meter as well. Also rolls are punishable at the end of the roll unless they're guard cancel rolls, which are pretty important along with guard cancel blowbacks (hit C+D while blocking attacks), both moves cost 1 meter to do and are pretty handy in a lot of situations.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Does anyone have a link to a detailed resource on how FG input buffers should/do work? I was thinking about it yesterday and there are some parts to it which are visible enough from just simple experimentation, but I think there are lots more cases where I don't want to spend the rest of my life in training mode with a stopwatch but I'm interested to know. Main things I'm curious about: do normal/blocks/movement occurring ever flush the buffer, does charge persist from past the end of the buffer, does the internal representation of the special move inputs include button/directional releases (as opposed to just presses), is the input buffer jointly time and size constrained or just one of them, are sequential inputs recognized if they both appear the same time the input is polled (ie. same input buffer cell)? This is not to get better at games I'm just curious.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

It's double-dead in Europe it seems.

It came out in Europe more than a year after the US release? Yeah, gently caress that.

print scream key
Sep 20, 2012

Seashell Salesman posted:

Does anyone have a link to a detailed resource on how FG input buffers should/do work? I was thinking about it yesterday and there are some parts to it which are visible enough from just simple experimentation, but I think there are lots more cases where I don't want to spend the rest of my life in training mode with a stopwatch but I'm interested to know. Main things I'm curious about : do normal/blocks/movement occurring ever flush the buffer, does charge persist from past the end of the buffer, does the internal representation of the special move inputs include button/directional releases (as opposed to just presses), is the input buffer jointly time and size constrained or just one of them, are sequential inputs recognized if they both appear the same time the input is polled (ie. same input buffer cell)? This is not to get better at games I'm just curious.

From my experience, moves don't flush the buffer in SF4. Doing qcf+k twice with Cammy will get you Spiral Arrow cancelled into Super. As far as charges go, Balrog's headbutt into ultra/super comes off of going down-back to down-up to use up the down charge on headbutt, and then since you still have your back charge you can still use it to do ultra/super on landing.

I'm also a terrible player and a terrible person in general though, so don't take this as gospel.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

brian posted:

What's really cool now is that the dude who's done all the work on this is most of the way done with a BIOS that supports rewriting the game data all from one CD, from the BIOS menu, to any of the 6 CPS3 games. Hopefully should be out this month, handy considering my 3rd strike cart died last week, found a dude that will do the whole soldering/BIOS programming thing for me too so i'll report back when it's out and i've got it going.

Yeah, it is cool, the whole 2I Conversion stuff is just nuanced enough and pretty offtopic (despite CPS3 only being a platform that ever had fighting games on it!) that I didn't want to get too into it. Add to that the fact that the conversion is such a manual/imperfect process still... the last time I tried the 2I-ified Jojo2 version, I could consistently crash it within 3 minutes.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Question from BlazBlue players: Is it still possible to do two 270s for Tager's 720 super in CP?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

uncleKitchener posted:

Question from BlazBlue players: Is it still possible to do two 270s for Tager's 720 super in CP?

As far as I know, they haven't changed the way the game handles 360s (or any of its input quirks for that matter). That being said, I've never heard of doing 2x 270s for GETB. I guess if you could do it for a 360, there's probably no reason you couldn't do it for a 720.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Seashell Salesman posted:

Does anyone have a link to a detailed resource on how FG input buffers should/do work? I was thinking about it yesterday and there are some parts to it which are visible enough from just simple experimentation, but I think there are lots more cases where I don't want to spend the rest of my life in training mode with a stopwatch but I'm interested to know. Main things I'm curious about : do normal/blocks/movement occurring ever flush the buffer, does charge persist from past the end of the buffer, does the internal representation of the special move inputs include button/directional releases (as opposed to just presses), is the input buffer jointly time and size constrained or just one of them, are sequential inputs recognized if they both appear the same time the input is polled (ie. same input buffer cell)? This is not to get better at games I'm just curious.

Buffer systems are completely different from game to game so this is a fairly difficult question to address. Its not really a case of having a specific type of buffer because different games have different requirements that the buffer can effect and some things can be unique to the system if you want to get something specific out of your game. For example, KOF13 has more difficult motions on average coupled with tight juggles, and so has a few unique input shortcuts for its motions and holding down a button gives you a greater buffer window to execute an attack immediately out of recovery. Third Strike uses charge partitioning to make charge characters easier to parry effectively with but is one of the few (only?) games that implements it.

This is actually something I'm really interested in as well but the only things I can find online don't really seem like authoritative sources. It might honestly be a better question for one of the game design/programming threads than the FG thread unless its a question about a specific FG's system. I'd be interested if people can find anything cool on it though.

• Locked thread