Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Phone posted:

White washing doesn't even scratch the surface of all of that "Not Racist, but" bullshit. God drat.

Guys, I got it:

White Power Washing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Magres posted:

Wat. Source? Holy gently caress that is beyond demented.

I can't be arsed to find a 'good' article right now, but the argument basically boils down to "I can find a few historical slaveowners who didn't routinely brutalize or rape their slaves, these clearly represent the majority of good southern slaveowners and clearly isn't that bad, why can't those silly black people just get over it?"

Which, I mean, is privelaged to the point of utter lunacy, but at least follows a certain idiot logic that I can see someone believing if they bought into some really loving flawed assumptions. I can't see how anyone who's even passingly familiar with the lynching phenomenon could be at all convinced that America has been the best country in history for black people, however.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Really I just meant the ball feeding in the early 1900s because :aaaaa:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Also even if someone treated their slaves decently, THEY WERE STILL loving SLAVES. :mad:

That's such an abysmal argument.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

"Hey man, my ancestors didn't own slaves and nobody does that now stop trying to hold me responsible for things I never did."
- a thing people actually say

So, how do you respond to that?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Ho Chi Mint posted:

Not owning slaves doesn't mean someone can't benefit massively from slave labor.

I have never run a sweatshop, but if I wanted I could go grab sweatshop labor clothing on the cheap.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Ho Chi Mint posted:

Slavery is only part of America's poo poo history with blacks?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Magres posted:

Really I just meant the ball feeding in the early 1900s because :aaaaa:

Ah. I can't remember the precise incident, but I was told about it in more detail in an honors American Cultures course by a professor who specializes in examining Race Relations in America, so I'm 95% sure it's not bullshit. And yeah, loving demented. Lynch culture in the late 1800s and early 1900s is loving terrifying to read about.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Magres posted:

Not owning slaves doesn't mean someone can't benefit massively from slave labor.

I have never run a sweatshop, but if I wanted I could go grab sweatshop labor clothing on the cheap.

The response you'll get is "my ancestors came over after slavery was ended. How did they benefit?"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
"I'm going to break Jimmies legs, let him heal for a month, then you guys can run a race. It'll be a fair race because you didn't get any benefits."

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

"I'm going to break Jimmies legs, let him heal for a month, then you guys can run a race. It'll be a fair race because you didn't get any benefits."

"So, because someone else broke Jimmy's legs, I have to be penalized?"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Just post this as a reply:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Helping someone who had been kneecapped is the decent human thing to do.

I know they'll have some pithy response which is why just throw out the "I'm sorry you're racist I'm done talking to you".

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Just post this as a reply:

That won't convince anybody.

How are a bunch of German, Irish, and Czech immigrants arriving to the US in the late 1800's and moving to the midwest standing on the backs of black slaves?

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Ho Chi Mint posted:

How are a bunch of German, Irish, and Czech immigrants arriving to the US in the late 1800's and moving to the midwest standing on the backs of black slaves?

Can you clarify why you're fixating on directly benefiting from slavery and not, say, the rest of America's poo poo history with black people

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ho Chi Mint posted:

There's another, better, comic where it's the history of a white person through the generations being told things like 'hey we want your kind of people in this nice neighborhood, and you qualify for special rate loans' and poo poo, and then an indignant white guy in the modern era saying he never benefited from anything.

Like, you know that after we released the slaves we still hosed them pretty bad, right?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Ho Chi Mint posted:

They had it pretty lovely too, up until the 50s or 60s when White Christendom needed to unite to fight the integrationist pinkos.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Ho Chi Mint posted:

A German, Irish or Czech immigrant was probably white.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Don't get me wrong, I think that helping the disadvantaged is the right thing to do, I'm trying to find responses to the common arguments I've heard on why white people shouldn't have to help.

The basic question is "why should I have to help out black people just because I'm white?"

Saying that black people have always been dis-advantaged is fine, but if a person doesn't think they have personally done anything to put black people at a disadvantage, they're going to think that they're being held responsible for something that isn't their fault. Being snarky with them isn't going to convince them.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Amused to Death posted:

Someone on my facebook comments on this. This is the most :smug: thing I've ever seen.(especially since it doesn't list one source)

quote:

1. 70% of wealthy eat less than 300 junk food calories per day. 97% of poor people eat more than 300 junk food calories per day. 23% of wealthy gamble. 52% of poor people gamble.

http://www.daveramsey.com/blog/20-things-the-rich-do-every-day

I call bullshit right loving here at square one. Ignoring entirely the premise being put forward that these 20 things are key differences in the causes of poverty vs. wealthy living, #1 isn't accurate when comparing the diets of poor people on food stamps against higher income non-participants:

quote:

Examination of food choices within food group identified some common food choice patterns across all age groups. Compared with higher income nonparticipants, FSP participants in all age groups made the following less healthful food choices:
    • less likely to choose whole grains
    • less likely to consume raw vegetables (including salads)
    • less likely to consume reduced-fat milk and more likely to consume whole milk
    • less likely to consume sugar-free sodas and more likely to consume regular sodas.

On the other hand, FSP adults made healthier choices than higher-income adults in the following categories:
    • less likely to consume alcoholic beverages
    • less likely to consume sweets and desserts
    • less likely to consume salty snacks.

They eat less salty snacks and less sugary sweets than their contemporaries in higher incomes.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/ora/menu/published/SNAP/FILES/Participation/NHANES-FSP.pdf

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Ho Chi Mint posted:

If you're not responsible for your ancestor's crimes, you can't take credit for, or pride in, their accomplishments.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Ho Chi Mint posted:

Saying that black people have always been dis-advantaged is fine, but if a person doesn't think they have personally done anything to put black people at a disadvantage, they're going to think that they're being held responsible for something that isn't their fault. Being snarky with them isn't going to convince them.

I want to explain how to respond to those people, but the very concept of them is apparently enough to make my blood boil. So all I've got is,

"They've always been disadvantaged because society is continually re-breaking their legs at every step with the Southern Strategy being the last huge push for it, and you are assisting it by being silent you racist piece of poo poo."

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I wasn't really aware of how White Privilege helped me until I started receiving the negative end of Christian Privilege as an atheist and it just sunk in right there. My ancestors all immigrated in the late 1800s and I still don't feel "white guilt" over slavery, but I've learned to recognize the privilege that still comes with being glow-in-the-dark white. For most of the people that sit in the middle of the engrained Privilege Pool, good luck getting through to them; they have no common experience to draw empathy from.

If you're trying to talk to people that are not descended from slave owners (which is probably most white people), don't approach from the slave owning guilt angle, as most people rightly will blow that off and stop listening right away.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

The Freeper-esque response to things about slavery (besides "it was democrats who did it", which you can be drat sure they'll say) is that far more black people were slave traders than white people, so blacks are the real racists.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Ho Chi Mint posted:

Don't get me wrong, I think that helping the disadvantaged is the right thing to do, I'm trying to find responses to the common arguments I've heard on why white people shouldn't have to help.

The basic question is "why should I have to help out black people just because I'm white?"

In essence, the idea of "responsibility" is almost always a distraction. It fundamentally does not matter who is "responsible" for causing a problem, unless there is a risk that they might do it again. If we actually care about the victims, then the goal should be to identify the harm that has been done and find some way to resolve it moving forward; not to arbitrarily select the people most "responsible" and punish them.

Hence, the goal is not for every individual white person to give money to every individual black person. Rather, we have seen that there are a set of circumstances, such as poverty, that disproportionately affect minorities due to historical and present racism. We as a society have decided on some set of programs, such as SNAP and TANF, to counteract these issues. Since these programs cost money, the individual members of society are required to contribute some small fraction of the cost. In this way, we all work together to seek equality.

Furthermore, it's a basic moral necessity for all people to recognize racism as evil and do their best in their personal lives to root it out. Hopefully no one is going to argue this point. These two requirements naturally go hand in hand: racism on a personal level will tend to lead to an indifferent society, whereas a true understanding and abhorrence of same can't help but lead to a collective effort to fix inequality.

A snappier response is that if black people are disadvantaged, then by definition some other group is advantaged relative to them. Even if the advantage is nothing more than having the ability to prioritize a few extra dollars on your paycheck over fighting racism.

But you're taking it as a given that someone arguing these issues actually believes in the existence of systemic racism, which I think is sadly less than likely.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 24, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Privilege is such an outside context issue for the average person that it almost requires them to have personal experience with discrimination before they "get it". I like to think I would still be as sensitive to race and gender issues if I were straight but I'm convinced my experiences as a gay person have made me a better person.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Privilege is such an outside context issue for the average person that it almost requires them to have personal experience with discrimination before they "get it". I like to think I would still be as sensitive to race and gender issues if I were straight but I'm convinced my experiences as a gay person have made me a better person.

The alternative is to be willing to truly empathize with another person. It's really easy for a minority person to point out the privilege of a person in the majority, but in general we tend to deploy enough layers of rationalization that they'll give up before the breakthrough is made.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/blackhistory.asp

Is there a good rebuttal to that? It just sickeningly smells of "See? A black-person-of-some-stature says we shouldn't talk about race anymore, so it must be true!"

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Aside from "oh we're taking the opinions of one person as gospel now? You know who else had opinions :godwin:"?

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Or you could just be a Log Cabin Republican.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
It seems from that quote (I didnt click but Im guessing Morgan Freeman from context), Morgan probably hasnt been to a US history class in quite a long time. The fact is that black history is still seriously undertaught in schools, and when it is taught it is often from a souly white perspective, or focuses on accomplishments of african americans (which is good) rather than the continual problems they faced in our society (which is bad).

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

"Hey man, my ancestors didn't own slaves and nobody does that now stop trying to hold me responsible for things I never did."
- a thing people actually say

I imagine not a day goes by that Ian MacKaye doesn't regret writing "Guilty of Being White".

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Something tells me that I'm not going to be disappointed by Bobby's response:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there a good rebuttal to that? It just sickeningly smells of "See? A black-person-of-some-stature says we shouldn't talk about race anymore, so it must be true!"
What would you say if a white guy argued that "black history is American history, so we don't need a separate month?" It's not exactly an uncommon line of thought, and your normal response should apply equally well here, assuming it's not just "you're racist" or something.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Dr Creflo A Dollar posted:

Not that I'm knocking the diligence of your forebearers but it's also worth noting that, as hardscrabble as life could be in the last century, the possibility of advancement was greater (for whites).

From the last page, but I won't dispute this. The post-war booms, ambitious social welfare programs, and large scale infrastructure projects did a lot to help the middle class in these eras, and many of those opportunities weren't available for non-whites.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Point out that he's being misrepresented? He's not saying "stop teaching Black History" and "stop talking about racism", he's saying "stop treating Black History like a curio to be brought out one month of the year" and "unless we stop treating race like it defines people, racism can't end".

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I don't understand the pro voter ID argument of "you need ID for <these things>". So fuckin what? You need ID to buy alcohol! You need ID to get a hotel room! You need ID to buy Sudafed!

How, exactly, does it relate to voting?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

myron cope posted:

I don't understand the pro voter ID argument of "you need ID for <these things>". So fuckin what? You need ID to buy alcohol! You need ID to get a hotel room! You need ID to buy Sudafed!

CAUSE OTHERWISE ILLEGALS GONNA VOTE :byodood:

It's literally the GOP going "DARK PEOPLE ARE SCARY!"

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

myron cope posted:

They're saying that those things are not as important as voting and still ID is still required.

And I'm not ID'd everytime I buy alcohol, and no on asks for ID when I use a credit card online, so that's crap too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mornacale posted:

In essence, the idea of "responsibility" is almost always a distraction. It fundamentally does not matter who is "responsible" for causing a problem, unless there is a risk that they might do it again. If we actually care about the victims, then the goal should be to identify the harm that has been done and find some way to resolve it moving forward; not to arbitrarily select the people most "responsible" and punish them.

I think this is key. Very often privilege is seen as "who's fault is it?". Even worse, I hate when white straight men, in an effort to seem more open minded, will self flagellate themselves like it'll make them totally cool with black people or something.

As a result people often see the privilege argument of "oh, you're blaming me? Well I'm poor too so gently caress you". The argument needs to be shifted towards "Who's being hurt?" not "who's fault is it?". It's good to ACKNOWLEDGE you have privilege and how that benefits you in a day to day context, but when you turn it into "As a white male I am Hitler, I am sorry, black people" it becomes pathetic.