Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Evil Fluffy posted:

Square Enix never shut down 8-bit theater(unfortunately) and it was an unfunny webcomic that just used their assets ripped directly from games.

Wait a second so you're telling me I should support this Kickstarter? Because while 8-bit theater was pretty dumb, it did lead to Atomic Robo which is a great comic series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

pathetic little tramp posted:

Wait a second so you're telling me I should support this Kickstarter? Because while 8-bit theater was pretty dumb, it did lead to Atomic Robo which is a great comic series.

8-Bit Theater was dumb, but that guy does write an excellent wisecracking rear end in a top hat.

The only good thing I see coming out of this is the hilarity after Squenix shuts the project down and none of the backers get their money back.

deadly_pudding has a new favorite as of 16:43 on Jul 24, 2013

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jaytholen/dropsy-a-surreal-exploration-based-adventure-game/

This game looks kind of cool, and the sing along is great but the video does not really cover much of the game itself- which is a shame because it looks interesting. I think asking for money to support living expenses is a little bit of a no-no, but even aside from that $22,000 after the Kickstarter/Amazon cut and hiring a programmer leaves you with very little to live on- although there was that indie game maker who quit, became a street vendor, and doubled his salary.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
Not to mention it's made by resident goon. It looks really good, just seems all he missed to do was spread the word through more avenues. Though I myself am not familiar with what those are.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The General posted:

That'd be a pretty good trick. Because FFVII is pretty lacking in the coherent story. :haw:

Watching the Spike Lee pitch, I have zero idea what's going on. :psyduck:

It has a coherent story its just badly translated at some critical junctures, has not one but two unreliable narrators, and some critical information being optional hurt a lot of people's understanding. That and all the material that came out afterwards featuring those characters features characters who behave in no way like the characters in the game proper which is hilarious since thats a critical theme of the game.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Barudak posted:

It has a coherent story its just badly translated at some critical junctures, has not one but two unreliable narrators, and some critical information being optional hurt a lot of people's understanding. That and all the material that came out afterwards featuring those characters features characters who behave in no way like the characters in the game proper which is hilarious since thats a critical theme of the game.

Who's the other unreliable narrator? My memory of the game is failing me.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Rapdawg posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jaytholen/dropsy-a-surreal-exploration-based-adventure-game/

This game looks kind of cool, and the sing along is great but the video does not really cover much of the game itself- which is a shame because it looks interesting. I think asking for money to support living expenses is a little bit of a no-no, but even aside from that $22,000 after the Kickstarter/Amazon cut and hiring a programmer leaves you with very little to live on- although there was that indie game maker who quit, became a street vendor, and doubled his salary.

Oh poo poo a Dropsy Game. The original was one of my favorite SA CYOA threads up there with Microbe best. A good kickstarter.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

Crain posted:

Oh poo poo a Dropsy Game. The original was one of my favorite SA CYOA threads up there with Microbe best. A good kickstarter.
Too bad it doesn't look like it's going to make it :saddowns: Couldn't he have made a lot more publicity on the forums? People love his threads.

edit: Wait nevermind he did make a thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559134

the Gaffe has a new favorite as of 17:14 on Jul 24, 2013

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

OatmealRaisin posted:

Who's the other unreliable narrator? My memory of the game is failing me.

Both Cloud and Tifa are pretty unreliable narrators.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

the Gaffe posted:

Too bad it doesn't look like it's going to make it :saddowns: Couldn't he have made a lot more publicity on the forums? People love his threads.

edit: Wait nevermind he did make a thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559134

I totally thought it said 30 days to go and was confused about what you were talking about. Yeah this sucks. He started a new Dropsy thread recently as well and I didn't see anything about this in there.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Rapdawg posted:

I think asking for money to support living expenses is a little bit of a no-no
Not sure I understand this at all. Exactly what is the alternative? Let's say you're a programmer and you need money to pay an artist for your game. Now you're just funding that artist's living expenses. What's the difference if it's just for yourself?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

Both Cloud and Tifa are pretty unreliable narrators.

Then there's a third: your ability to actually care about any of the boring bullshit.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

NESguerilla posted:

In regards to the Final Fantasy thing, I'd bet that publishers are just laying off fanboy poo poo on the internet unless it directly competes with their IP in some way. If they sent those people a cease and desist they would just look like assholes to the people who are buying their crap. I'm sure a FF7 remake kickstarter from a 3rd party wouldn't go over as well.

Fanboy poo poo is always on dicey grounds because IP holders have a duty to enforce their claim on their properties, or they could lose the copyright. It can be kind of up in the air as to whether or not they'll go after a zero-budget labor of love but a 'professional' quality production that wants half a million dollars is either going to sign some papers with SE or end up on the losing end of a court battle. Stuff like eight bit theatre made money, but it is probably protected under fair use as parody.

Bushiz has a new favorite as of 18:25 on Jul 24, 2013

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
As I understand it though, Japanese media companies encourage fan stuff because they view it as additional advertising, not to mention the fact that many artists got their starts by doing said fan stuff. That said, a movie may be a little too much for Squeenix to tolerate, especially if it turns out to be rubbish.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Crain posted:

Yeah, it seems like a cool project and now I'm looking into Dropsy and trying to peel myself away from it to keep deadlines with my class- drat you Goons!

Orzo posted:

Not sure I understand this at all. Exactly what is the alternative? Let's say you're a programmer and you need money to pay an artist for your game. Now you're just funding that artist's living expenses. What's the difference if it's just for yourself?

I'm trying to think how to explain what I meant, but to me looking at his goal of $22,000 he is left with $19,800 assuming Kickstarter and Amazon take out the biggest possible cut they can. That money then needs to be divided among the programmer he is hiring and himself- which may not be an issue. I don't know what his living situation is and did not catch if he mentioned how long it would take. If $5,000 keeps him afloat for a month (assuming a high level of ramen and visiting parents to steal food) and a month is all it needs then it works out fine.

Basically, what I'm saying is paying for living expenses is very complicated and I may have missed some of those parts in the video. If its going to take six months of development, then it raises alarm. If its going to take a month or two months, its not an issue. Devil in the details.

He should re-launch with more banner ads and a post in Ask/Tell, I think he could definitely get the money if he pandered/reached out/engaged/whored out to the Goons. If he put the lowest thing at 10 Bux, he would only need 2,200 pledges and I'm sure many Goons would donate much more.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

QwertyAsher posted:

Fanboy poo poo is always on dicey grounds because IP holders have a duty to enforce their claim on their properties, or they could lose the copyright. It can be kind of up in the air as to whether or not they'll go after a zero-budget labor of love but a 'professional' quality production that wants half a million dollars is either going to sign some papers with SE or end up on the losing end of a court battle. Stuff like eight bit theatre made money, but it is probably protected under fair use as parody.

It's really really hard to lose copyright from unauthorized use. It's trademark that can be lost from allowing people to use your property.

This is a major thing, because losing copyright while retaining trademark would mean that anyone could resell a copy of the work without paying you, but couldn't use things like the characters freely in other productions. For retaining copyright but losing trademark, people still couldn't freely resell and create direct derivative works of the original media, but they could advertise things with the characters or something like that.

I mean, the strict wording of the laws aren't exactly right that, but it's the gist of it.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

QwertyAsher posted:

You're thinking of trademark law, not copyright law. If you fail to defend your trademark, you risk losing it entirely.
Copyright law has no such provision--they can go after you whenever they want, regardless of how they defended it in the past. If you've been pirating something in its 150th year, one year before copyright expires (life+70 years), and the owners have never before enforced it, they're still entirely within their rights to sue you for infringement.

8-Bit Theater's parody status is questionable; Penny Arcade couldn't claim it for their American McGee's Strawberry Shortcake strip because it was parodying American McGee's Alice, not Strawberry Shortcake. 8-Bit Theater wasn't really parodying FF1, it was parodying the genre using assets from the game. He was basically just lucky Square never decided to be assholes about it and he never tried to really merchandise the strip (you'll note there are no books or games based on it; the only things in his shop using the game assets are 4 t-shirts).

The FF7 fan film isn't parody, and it's clearly a derivative work; SE would be entirely within their rights to squash it at any point in its development. Fan games have been stopped years into development and months from release.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
I'm not sure if this was already posted but I just saw it in the Kickstarter Gaming thread in Games: a kickstarter for a board game that was actually overfunded, has now been cancelled:
The Doom That Came To Atlantic City
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forkingpath/the-doom-that-came-to-atlantic-city/posts/548030

I don't really know much about the project as I'm only seeing it now for the first time but I'm curious to know how this ended up being such a total mess. Is producing a board game (especially one that looks like it's some variant of Monopoply) really much more difficult than it looks? And I'm asking that sincerely as I know nothing about board game development whatsoever.

homewrecker has a new favorite as of 19:29 on Jul 24, 2013

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

homewrecker posted:

I'm not sure if this was already posted but I just saw it in the Kickstarter Gaming thread in Games: a kickstarter for a board game that was actually overfunded, has now been cancelled:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forkingpath/the-doom-that-came-to-atlantic-city/posts/548030

I don't really know much about the project as I'm only seeing it now for the first time but I'm curious to know how this ended up being such a total mess. Is producing a board game (especially one that looks like it's some variant of Monopoply) really much more difficult than it looks? And I'm asking that sincerely as I know nothing about board game development whatsoever.

Producing physical things adds a million potential points of failure, and also it seems like this guy wasn't exactly upfront about what he was going to do with the money.

quote:

From the beginning the intention was to launch a new board game company with the Kickstarted funds, with The Doom that Came to Atlantic City as only our first of hopefully many projects. Everyone involved agreed on this. Since then rifts have formed and every error compounded the growing frustration, causing only more issues. After paying to form the company, for the miniature statues, moving back to Portland, getting software licenses and hiring artists to do things like rule book design and art conforming the money was approaching a point of no return. We had to print at that point or never. Unfortunately that wasn't in the cards for a variety of reasons.

Also this is hearsay, but it doesn't sound like this is the first time the guy has mismanaged money to disastrous results:

Mighty Rabbit Studios posted:

Erik, I want to make it very clear that I have absolutely nothing against you as a person. You're still one of the coolest guys I've worked with, and I standby my assessment that you're a killer salesman (and the success of your fundraising efforts proves that much) - but I believe your backers have a right to know that this isn't the first time this has happened.
Erik was a part of Joystick Labs - an independent game development incubator in Durham, NC - which formed five companies (mine included). Erik formed a company called Inari, Inc. and got $20,000 in seed funding to build a social pinball game. By the end of six months, the money was gone and there was nothing to show for it. Erik's investors for Inari got completely burned. From what we saw, most of the money went towards buying stuff on Amazon.
I backed this project with the hopes that Joystick Labs was just a learning experience, getting a board game printed seemed substantially easier than getting a video game made. I'm guessing that was a false assumption. Thankfully, I only backed at the T-Shirt level - I'm fine writing off a $25 loss. I really feel bad for the hundreds of backers who pledged $75 or more. I really hope you can get their money back, Erik.

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)
Guys, stop making GBS threads on 8-bit theater please. It was hilarious for me when I was 14. :saddowns:

NESguerilla posted:

In regards to the Final Fantasy thing, I'd bet that publishers are just laying off fanboy poo poo on the internet unless it directly competes with their IP in some way. If they sent those people a cease and desist they would just look like assholes to the people who are buying their crap. I'm sure a FF7 remake kickstarter from a 3rd party wouldn't go over as well.

I think you may be giving an international developer/publisher conglomerate way too much credit. In my limited experience, companies like these move in a coordinated fashion as much as ten cats in a sinking sack.
Squeenix shut down the CT "remake" when it was just three 3D models and one environment, but looking at the big picture and tons of derivative works floating around the web, that's not because they're Disney-tier trademark hawks - someone probably just had a bad day.

BanjoFish
Nov 24, 2007
The Doom That Came to Atlantic City Sounds like a full-on scam.

Kickstarter Backer David Finn posted:

I emailed Erik right after getting this update about notes, rules, art, figures, and shirts. His response:

"unfortunately part of my new agreement with the game's creator's stipulated that I return all art rights to them. This means that I can't release any images related to the game or sell any related merchandise, including even free printable versions. No pewter figures were ever produced and the t-shirts were going to be printed closer to release, which now isn't happening. So that's it."

Hmmm I want to read that full post-mortem, because right now it 'feels' super scammy! No work was ever done to at least do the minis? They can't release the art we already paid for? Either forking path failed to pay the creators for thier work OR the creators created the game and a planning on reselling it elsewhere and leaving forking path holding the bag. Either way, that much money and no.NO return leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.
The good news is of about 30 projects, this was the first 1 i had that failed. Some a little behind (Orge I'm looking at you) but many of them have already fufilled. As far as Kickstarter I'm fine. but theforkingpath.com isnt making my christmas list

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

miguelito posted:

Guys, stop making GBS threads on 8-bit theater please. It was hilarious for me when I was 14. :saddowns:

I poo poo on 8-bit theater because it was hilarious to me when I was 14 :v:

I used to read like 50 different webcomics in high school, I had terrible taste. I've pared it down to like 8. I stand by my assertion that 8-bit theater guy writes an excellent rear end in a top hat. :colbert:
I will also admit to wielding sword-chucks in a D&D campaign.

You guys, let's crowdfund a live-action 8-bit theater tribute.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

homewrecker posted:

I'm surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen more often. Overfunding to 4x the target doesn't magically grant the creator experience in an industry. New ventures USUALLY fail, and I gotta think Kickstarter's screening procedure works better than this thread believes, because this type of failure should be the norm.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

BanjoFish posted:

The Doom That Came to Atlantic City Sounds like a full-on scam.

Actually, that bit isn't him lying. One of the guys who actually made the game just posted in the comments saying that they would be releasing a print-and-play version of the game for free for all of the backers.

Keith Baker posted:

Yesterday, Erik Chevalier of the Forking Path announced that he has cancelled the Kickstarter to produce The Doom That Came To Atlantic City, a board game designed by Lee Moyer and Keith Baker, which is to say, me. When Lee and I first heard this news from Erik, it came as a shock. We’ve been working on this game for over a decade. In 2011 we had it ready to go to the printer with Z-Man Games, until a change in ownership dropped it from production. Based on the information we’d been receiving from the Forking Path we believed that the game was in production. It’s a personal and financial blow to both of us, but what concerns Lee and I is that people who believed in our work and put their faith in this Kickstarter have been let down.

First of all, I would like to make one thing crystal clear. Lee Moyer and Keith Baker are not part of the Forking Path. Neither one of us received any of the funds raised by the Kickstarter or presales. I haven’t received any form of payment for this game. Lee and I were not involved in the decisions that brought about the end of this project, and we were misinformed about its progress and the state of the game.

As a designer, I want the ideas I come up with to bring people joy—not frustration, disappointment and anger. Once I sign a contract granting a company the rights to produce one of my games, I am putting my faith in that company and trusting that it will carry out production and delivery in a professional and ethical manner. I’ve worked with Atlas Games, Wizards of the Coast, Steve Jackson Games, Goodman Games, Green Ronin, Pelgrane Press, and many more, and I’ve never been let down until now. Lee and I don’t know exactly how the money was spent, why the backers were misled, what challenges were faced or what drove the decisions that led to the cancellation of the game. Not only did we not make any money from the game, we have actually lost money; as soon as we learned the true state of affairs, we engaged a lawyer to compel The Forking Path to come forward to the backers and to honor its pledge to issue refunds.

With that said, all that really matters to Lee and I is that our idea has led to frustration and anger instead of bringing happiness. We can’t change the past. We can’t produce the game as presented in the Kickstarter on our own. But under the terms of the contract the rights to the art and design are back in our hands, and we can at least share those. Lee and I will be producing a print-and-play version of the game as quickly as possible, and getting that to backers at no cost. You’ll have to use your own cardstock and paper, and we can’t produce the amazing miniatures sculpted by Paul Komoda. But we can share our ideas and our work, and we hope that you will enjoy it.

There is one snag: neither Lee or I have access to the list of backers and their email addresses. We don’t even know who you are, and we have no way to thank you directly. If you backed Doom, please contact me through my website Keith-Baker.com. If you know anyone who backed it, please direct them here.

This is not the end of the road we thought we were on. Neither Lee nor I know how things reached this point, and when I look at the images from the manufacturer that show so clearly that the game could have been made, it breaks my heart. Lee and I will do our best to get you the game in print-and-play form as soon as possible. It’s not what we expected or planned on, but we at least hope that you will finally be able to get some enjoyment from the game we’ve worked on for all these years.

Sincerely,

Keith Baker

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Holy poo poo this Erik guy is the biggest scam artist.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
Can someone summarize what happened with this board game? It sounds like a team created the game from the kickstarter. Then internal drama screwed everything up and people split. Now one guy is being the bigger man and releasing his game while the other may or may not pay up

BanjoFish
Nov 24, 2007

OrganizedInsanity posted:

Can someone summarize what happened with this board game? It sounds like a team created the game from the kickstarter. Then internal drama screwed everything up and people split. Now one guy is being the bigger man and releasing his game while the other may or may not pay up

Not quite. Two guys created the board game some time ago, the development of which had nothing to do with the kickstarter. The kickstarter was headed by a third guy, Erik Chevalier, who was given the rights to commercially produce the board game with fancy pewter figurines and everything. There was supposedly a legal threat from Hasbro along the way, which forced them to change some things, but even then it's been over a year and Erik has been lying about the state of the project for some time, saying it was "at the printers" and other bull. Now Erik is apparently out of money after spending the kickstarter cash founding a company and moving to Portland (which wasn't included in the original pitch), and has canceled the project outright. One of the original two designers has chimed in to say that they have seen no money from the project at all. Basically Erik Chevalier pissed away $122,000 with absolutely nothing to show for it. It's pretty remarkable. I'm sure there's other person stuff in there we don't know about. Erik has alluded to "egos" being a problem, whatever that means.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

BanjoFish posted:

Not quite. Two guys created the board game some time ago, the development of which had nothing to do with the kickstarter. The kickstarter was headed by a third guy, Erik Chevalier, who was given the rights to commercially produce the board game with fancy pewter figurines and everything. There was supposedly a legal threat from Hasbro along the way, which forced them to change some things, but even then it's been over a year and Erik has been lying about the state of the project for some time, saying it was "at the printers" and other bull. Now Erik is apparently out of money after spending the kickstarter cash founding a company and moving to Portland (which wasn't included in the original pitch), and has canceled the project outright. One of the original two designers has chimed in to say that they have seen no money from the project at all. Basically Erik Chevalier pissed away $122,000 with absolutely nothing to show for it. It's pretty remarkable. I'm sure there's other person stuff in there we don't know about. Erik has alluded to "egos" being a problem, whatever that means.

drat, hope he gets sued to oblivion, at least the ipad stand guy really tried to finish his job. Has anyone actually tried to sue Kickstarter? They have TOU but that means nothing in court

thurdl01
Oct 20, 2008
Doom backer checking in. One of the twists with The Doom came a few months ago when a backers-only update said the project was handed a Cease and Desist from Parker Brothers because their board was still just a little too similar to the Monopoly board. Queue a need to go back, redesign the board, start over a huge portion from scratch, and make sure that the new board passed muster with the lawyers. I'm at a point now where I'm not even sure if that was truth or bullshit being fed the backers to buy some time.

BanjoFish
Nov 24, 2007
It's hard to say whether the cease-and-desist thing is true, unless someone posts the actual document. To be fair though, it is pretty plausible. Despite there being dozens of rip-off Monopoly games in existence, Parker Brothers (now owned by Hasbro) has been pretty litigious in the past. They engaged in a drawn out, multi-decade legal battle with the creator of a game called "Anti-Monopoly," so there is precedent for it.

There is a fair-use defense in cases like this for parody, but that would still require a court battle that no one wants to engage in, so it wouldn't be surprising if they felt like they needed to change the game. I'm not familiar with board game development, so I don't know how difficult that would be, or how long it would take. Still, Erik hasn't exactly earned the benefit of the doubt, so who knows.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

The most amazing thing about that article is that there's a Monopoly world championship. How does that work? Is the last person who doesn't say "gently caress this this sucks" and leaves the winner?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

pathetic little tramp posted:

The most amazing thing about that article is that there's a Monopoly world championship. How does that work? Is the last person who doesn't say "gently caress this this sucks" and leaves the winner?

Monopoly can be played for fun and to a successful completion (to win at Monopoly, it's having the most money at the end of the game). It's not like it's some sort of anomaly that you can play where everyone has fun playing it, although I will admit that only happened with the "electronic banking" version of the game, where there's no banker player and everything is run off a transaction calculator and "credit cards".

Seriously, when you don't have to worry about banker cheating, the game takes on another dimension, especially when inter-player sales and negotiating starts.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
It's possible to enjoy monopoly in much the same sense that you can pave a road by headbutting it enough. I'd rather play something that brings my friends and family together, like Settlers of Cataan.

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)
Until you roll a seven and block the ore supply supporting all players other than you.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Pyroclastic posted:

The FF7 fan film isn't parody, and it's clearly a derivative work; SE would be entirely within their rights to squash it at any point in its development. Fan games have been stopped years into development and months from release.

Yeah. just look at what happened to the FF6 OCRemix project. They got it out in the end but had to kickstart a hell of a lot of funding to license the rights. And they had a much better track record for delivering than these guys.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

homewrecker posted:

Huh, I backed that game. drat shame, it looked interesting, and pewter figures looked really nice. I'm not expecting a refund.

Anyway, Bitcoin printer:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/299052466/piper-a-hardware-based-paper-wallet-printer-and-mo

Anyway, I cannot fathom that that printer cost more than $100 to create, but he sells a model b for $200? Also, why is the second batch printers costing more than first batch?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah. just look at what happened to the FF6 OCRemix project. They got it out in the end but had to kickstart a hell of a lot of funding to license the rights. And they had a much better track record for delivering than these guys.

and that Chrono trigger 3D remake fan project that got C&D'ed when it was basically finished

quote:

Anyway, Bitcoin printer:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-printer-and-mo

Anyway, I cannot fathom that that printer cost more than $100 to create, but he sells a model b for $200? Also, why is the second batch printers costing more than first batch?

It says the wallets last "seven years or more if stored properly". That sounds like an awfully short amount of time for paper to last, I have old books on my shelf that are more than 50 years old and still more than readable, and that's on lovely yellowing-prone cheap paperback paper. Is it some quirk of thermal receipt rolls that they go bad in just a few years, or is he just covering his arse?

Fatkraken has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Jul 24, 2013

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

PassTheRemote posted:

Huh, I backed that game. drat shame, it looked interesting, and pewter figures looked really nice. I'm not expecting a refund.

Anyway, Bitcoin printer:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/299052466/piper-a-hardware-based-paper-wallet-printer-and-mo

Clearly, the printers take more and more time to mine as the available blocks decrease, so naturally their prices will go up.
Down with fiat printers!

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Fatkraken posted:

It says the wallets last "seven years or more if stored properly". That sounds like an awfully short amount of time for paper to last, I have old books on my shelf that are more than 50 years old and still more than readable, and that's on lovely yellowing-prone cheap paperback paper. Is it some quirk of thermal receipt rolls that they go bad in just a few years, or is he just covering his arse?

The ink on my receipts usually wear off after a few months if not stored properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fatkraken posted:

Is it some quirk of thermal receipt rolls that they go bad in just a few years, or is he just covering his arse?

Thermal paper, being heat sensitive, will fade out if you don't keep it away from heat sources or indeed high temperatures in general. Like even just being in temperatures over 80 degrees for a few months are enough to start putting major fade on.

The wikipedia image actually represents it pretty well:

That flame didn't even touch the paper, but the heat caused places on the paper a bit away to turn dark, and places even closer to the heat to first turn dark then go blank. Long term heat exposure does a similar thing.