Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
So he's cheaped out and used a super unreliable method of storing information... for storing highly valuable* information? And is charging 200 bucks for the privilege? Why not just release a program that creates the QR code and sends it to print on a regular inkjet printer, at least that won't randomly turn black and lose all your "money"

*value of bitcoins may crash without warning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

Thermal paper, being heat sensitive, will fade out if you don't keep it away from heat sources or indeed high temperatures in general. Like even just being in temperatures over 80 degrees for a few months are enough to start putting major fade on.

The wikipedia image actually represents it pretty well:

That flame didn't even touch the paper, but the heat caused places on the paper a bit away to turn dark, and places even closer to the heat to first turn dark then go blank. Long term heat exposure does a similar thing.

Yeah, I've left the little parking receipts that the automated vendors at a lot of the lots are using these days in my car. After a few days, locked in with the Texas heat, they become completely bleached white.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

He's expecting to mass produce printers for a total of $1000? Is he expecting to pay for the rest in bitcoins?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

NESguerilla posted:

He's expecting to mass produce printers for a total of $1000? Is he expecting to pay for the rest in bitcoins?

The risks and challenges section indicates he's a one-man shop hand assembling each one. :downs:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

NESguerilla posted:

Dude's buying cheap receipt printers you can get anywhere for like $50 these days (iirc), $35 Raspberry Pi computers, and putting them in a case with software on them. He's not manufacturing the printers themselves.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

I feel bad Gaspy Conana's Dropsy game doesn't look like it will make it. He's got a lot of talent. I guess he just didn't have the exposure. He wasn't given permission to talk about his project in the new Dropsy CYOA thread in GBS and I'm guessing the Project Solicitations thread doesn't get the same traffic that his CYOA threads get. 24 hours to go and he needs to raise $14500.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Install Gentoo posted:

Dude's buying cheap receipt printers you can get anywhere for like $50 these days (iirc), $35 Raspberry Pi computers, and putting them in a case with software on them. He's not manufacturing the printers themselves.

But isn't the idea of printing bitcoins oxymoronic?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Necros posted:

I feel bad Gaspy Conana's Dropsy game doesn't look like it will make it. He's got a lot of talent. I guess he just didn't have the exposure. He wasn't given permission to talk about his project in the new Dropsy CYOA thread in GBS and I'm guessing the Project Solicitations thread doesn't get the same traffic that his CYOA threads get. 24 hours to go and he needs to raise $14500.

He can always try again later and try to muster up some more publicity in the mean time.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

JDM3 posted:

But isn't the idea of printing bitcoins oxymoronic?

You can drop the oxy.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Install Gentoo posted:

You can drop the oxy.

The people who believe in Bitcoin certainly did

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012
Haven't seen this posted yet.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/todd-meister-ex-assistant-kickstarter-approach-raise-821-000-pay-back-article-1.1407192#ixzz2ZxbLj6Y5

So this girl stole nearly a million dollars from someone, is facing jail time, and instead of repaying it back or serving jail time, she is pleading to the general populace to try to get them to pay it for her. She complains about having a 'medical condition' (fainting spells) that will making going to jail hell on her.

She's raised $275 so far..
http://www.gofundme.com/Restitution-for-Renata

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fatkraken posted:

So he's cheaped out and used a super unreliable method of storing information... for storing highly valuable* information? And is charging 200 bucks for the privilege? Why not just release a program that creates the QR code and sends it to print on a regular inkjet printer, at least that won't randomly turn black and lose all your "money"

*value of bitcoins may crash without warning

Listen buddy, if you don't keep your reason and logic to yourself I don't think you'll ever be a true Captain of Industry like this printing mogul.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0

Autechresaint posted:

Haven't seen this posted yet.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/todd-meister-ex-assistant-kickstarter-approach-raise-821-000-pay-back-article-1.1407192#ixzz2ZxbLj6Y5

So this girl stole nearly a million dollars from someone, is facing jail time, and instead of repaying it back or serving jail time, she is pleading to the general populace to try to get them to pay it for her. She complains about having a 'medical condition' (fainting spells) that will making going to jail hell on her.

She's raised $275 so far..
http://www.gofundme.com/Restitution-for-Renata

Did you read the article about the 'crime'? She stole a poo poo ton of money from some wallstreet fatcat she was banging. So to pay off her poo poo ton of debt she owes this guy she is now soliciting the internet. I love it.

Not ugly though, I wonder how far I can get for 100 bucks?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Minor update on American McGee's rebooted kickstarter (10 days to go and still only barely halfway funded): he registered to Reddit to promote his Kickstarter and has been obsessively self-searching and passive-aggressively picking fights with anybody who says anything bad about him or his project. The dude is even more punchable than I imagined.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Minor update on American McGee's rebooted kickstarter (10 days to go and still only barely halfway funded): he registered to Reddit to promote his Kickstarter and has been obsessively self-searching and passive-aggressively picking fights with anybody who says anything bad about him or his project. The dude is even more punchable than I imagined.

While I'm pretty sure I dislike American McGee and can't quite remember why, he endured a dozen hours of Redditors picking at his corpse like vultures, answering what appears to be every loving single goddamn awful question thrown in his direction. I skimmed his post history to see if there was any instances of him humorously flipping out, but it's pretty mundane. This guy's Reddit AMA would be best narrated by Ben Stein. Can you please point out where this guy is acting "punchable"? I don't understand.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Nnep posted:

Did you read the article about the 'crime'? She stole a poo poo ton of money from some wallstreet fatcat she was banging. So to pay off her poo poo ton of debt she owes this guy she is now soliciting the internet. I love it.

Not ugly though, I wonder how far I can get for 100 bucks?

She complains about not receiving adequate medical care. It's most likely she was in the county jail where they basically have a school nurse type of employee who mainly makes sure the regular prisoners who need daily medication get their dose each day. She/he might also treat minor wounds at most. If she needed more medical care than that for her fainting spells (is this like when stuffy rich ladies get the vapors?) I'm sure they could have transferred her to a state prison where they have a full infirmary!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

For a second I thought this was for a new game, then saw it was for an animated short. I'd play the gently caress out of a new game, as both of the other Alice games were at least fun and beautiful, but I have less interest in something non-interactive from him.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

"best known as the creator of Alice". He should probably stick his dumb fake name in front of that before claiming to have created that character.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
The bloke doing the Slender Man toy kickstarter has relaunched as a survival horror card game, with the toy and prints as rewards. Interestingly, he claims "Zero Hour's 32" Pale One/Slender Man toy is being produced with the permission of Victor Surge; the originator and man responsible for the initial photographs and writing behind Slender Man." so i guess it's endorsed?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Gorbash posted:

The bloke doing the Slender Man toy kickstarter has relaunched as a survival horror card game, with the toy and prints as rewards. Interestingly, he claims "Zero Hour's 32" Pale One/Slender Man toy is being produced with the permission of Victor Surge; the originator and man responsible for the initial photographs and writing behind Slender Man." so i guess it's endorsed?

I'm interested in how copyright law and rights will end up working for collaborative internet phenomena like Slenderman. While Victor Surge certainly made the original photoshops, the creation of Slenderman as an entity and a mythos was very much an organic group effort involving dozens of people and their contributions to the idea.

Does the moral and/or legal right to "refusal" lie with the originator, even though the part they played in the overall story might end up being fairly minor? Can other people who originated specific unique elements override that refusal or override permissions by refusing rights to their specific contributions? It's more complicated than things like long running comics characters because that's just about credit rather than individual rights as those almost invariably lie with the company and creators are involved on a work for hire basis.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

PassTheRemote posted:

Huh, I backed that game. drat shame, it looked interesting, and pewter figures looked really nice. I'm not expecting a refund.

Anyway, Bitcoin printer:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/299052466/piper-a-hardware-based-paper-wallet-printer-and-mo

Anyway, I cannot fathom that that printer cost more than $100 to create, but he sells a model b for $200? Also, why is the second batch printers costing more than first batch?

If you're wondering about the price...

Three Olives posted:

Because all the work has already been done for you:

http://www.adafruit.com/products/597

Hmmm... This looks familiar:

http://www.adafruit.com/products/717

Oh...

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

He can always try again later and try to muster up some more publicity in the mean time.

Ads and Goon exposure next time would be smart, its something I would donate to.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Toffile posted:

If you're wondering about the price...

I'm not going to bother looking, but is there a reason I need THIS kludged together thing that prints on proprietary, expensive, unreliable paper as opposed to this little gem that is normally $29 and occasionally on sale for much less?

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Deskjet-Printer-CH340A-B1H/dp/B003YGZIY0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374759269&sr=8-1&keywords=printer

EDIT: Please don't tell me the answer is because "Bitcoins!"

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Gorbash posted:

I don't know if this is a bad kickstarter though. The art looks ok and the premise is sorta cool. Is there anymore information about the game? Maybe I'm not reading it close enough but it sounds like if you have a normal kid, all you do is draw cards and hope you don't die kinda like Call of Cthulu meets Amnesia. Sounds sorta boring?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

JDM3 posted:

I'm not going to bother looking, but is there a reason I need THIS kludged together thing that prints on proprietary, expensive, unreliable paper as opposed to this little gem that is normally $29 and occasionally on sale for much less?

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Deskjet-Printer-CH340A-B1H/dp/B003YGZIY0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374759269&sr=8-1&keywords=printer

EDIT: Please don't tell me the answer is because "Bitcoins!"

Thermal paper is hardly proprietary. Its also a ton cheaper than toner. Even if you buy the dudes marked up paper, he was selling it for like two or three bucks a roll. Toner can easily run ten times that. You would have a lower install cost, but probably a higher cost in support.

Otherwise its a piece of poo poo that exists to solve a nonexistent problem in a overcomplicated manner. Aka bitcoins.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0

OrganizedInsanity posted:

I don't know if this is a bad kickstarter though.

Slenderman. Plush. Doll.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Anti-gravity boobs gamer comic guy has seven backers, and whoa golly! One of them pledged $2500.

Can't see who's attached to that donation until he gets to ten, sadly, but I have a feeling that there's something hilarious going on here. :allears: And by hilarious I actually mean really tragic.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mammal Sauce posted:

Anti-gravity boobs gamer comic guy has seven backers, and whoa golly! One of them pledged $2500.

Can't see who's attached to that donation until he gets to ten, sadly, but I have a feeling that there's something hilarious going on here. :allears: And by hilarious I actually mean really tragic.

Maybe "Gwyenth" pledged.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Nnep posted:

Slenderman. Plush. Doll.

I do find it hilarious you can make something like that considering all you're getting is a doll probably rejected from the factory line for being too disproportionate and tacking a suit on it.

That being said, the card game seems alright for $20. If the game makes any sense other than draw a card and BE SPOOOOOKKKYYYYY, I would get it if not for a couple of random games with my friends.

Mammal Sauce posted:

Oh god, maybe making daily threads on /v/ is the way to go...

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mammal Sauce posted:

This one is great, it's so hilariously bad on every level. All of the strips seem totally devoid of any attempt at humor, their artwork is massive my-first-animu poo poo, complete with helium boobage and rpg rpg RPG! RPG!! gently caress you.

They seem to be both unemployed and I can't hate them for trying but look at what she wants to do for money maybe nws

unpacked robinhood has a new favorite as of 22:15 on Jul 25, 2013

ZnCu
Jul 2, 2007

Eat Sword?

unpacked robinhood posted:

They seem to be both unemployed and I can't hate them for trying

It's just one guy. "Gwenyth" is his alter ego. Someone posted their Facebook profiles earlier and a lot people call "Gwenyth" by his real name, so apparently his friends just know sometimes he pretends to be a different person or something

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I see he studied the Stephen Tyler school of mouth design.

e: backer quote from the manpak page- "Of all the projects I have backed so far I am the most excited for this one. I am a bit torn as to whether I will use the padded pocket for my iPad or my glock." -Rich O.

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha

PHIZ KALIFA has a new favorite as of 02:02 on Jul 26, 2013

The Killing Jelq
Jun 13, 2012

Man-PACK: the perfect accessory to go with your utilikilt.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/375407594/man-pack-classic-20/?ref=kicktraq

It has charming rewards, too.

quote:

Pledge $25 to get a Man-PACK T-shirt. It says: "Your wife is checking out my Man-PACK."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

e: backer quote from the manpak page- "Of all the projects I have backed so far I am the most excited for this one. I am a bit torn as to whether I will use the padded pocket for my iPad or my glock." -Rich O.

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha

To be honestly, the way it's designed with the side opening when worn on the front, I can see it as this decade's fanny pack option for today's CCW holder. It's that "obvious you're carrying a gun" wear.

The Killing Jelq
Jun 13, 2012

Young Freud posted:

fanny pack option for today's CCW holder

Holy poo poo that is a real thing. Yeah, the giant cargo pocket that is the manpack :pervert: seems like just the thing to simplify martyr's daily loadout procedure.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

I have to say, as dumb as the Man-PACK is, I love when a product is marketed at men who are insecure about the size of their dick and threatened by the thought that a messenger bag might be called a PURSE OH GOD and is then successful. Maybe even more than when it's a failure.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Gorbash posted:

I PM'd him when he did the Slender-doll and he's tried to contact Victor but hasn't had any luck last I heard. He just took the idea and ran with it while saying "I'll just get the ok from the creator later". Was really surprised how little he even knew about SA and just felt like a weak cash grab.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1567917619/my-little-po-mo-volume-one-season-one

Very much unnecessary. Why would I pay for reviews of MLP:FiM when there are like fifteen dorks on Youtube who can already provide me with this service? :smug:

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
What a shock, it's a fat dude with a ponytail and goatee who sounds completely loving insufferable even before you realise what the sounds he's making are about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Elissia posted:

I have to say, as dumb as the Man-PACK is, I love when a product is marketed at men who are insecure about the size of their dick and threatened by the thought that a messenger bag might be called a PURSE OH GOD and is then successful. Maybe even more than when it's a failure.

My messenger bag is like the size of my torso. Anybody who confuses it with a purse would be right, because I keep some tissues, candies, and a book in there :colbert: