Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Well the Eclipse-330FM is no Viper but it feels nearly identical, same pups, same hardware, has better sustain and a second volume knob.

I still say regular Les Paul's are ugly, except for purple or green ones with flame maple tops. Helps that this thing is incredibly light for a LP style too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Remulak posted:

Try Rocksmith, it got me going again bigtime.

Is it really all that good? Can you sell me on how well it works?

coolbian57 posted:

Are you talking about guitar or music in general? If you are stuck on composition, try pulling out a scale diagram and writing music from it without referring to the guitar to check anything. (Then play it later on, sometimes you can come up with actually really cool stuff this way).

Oh yea, and different tuning. There are so many to try, but really just tune it to some strange chord using your ears.
A bit of both really. I feel like my technique is starting to suffer because I get bored with what I play, and I feel like I can't do anything new because I'm regressing mechanically.
I've been meaning to try quarter-tone tuning, but I'll need to get some new strings before that happens

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

TopherCStone posted:

I found these reviews pretty informative, he takes it from both angles.

For the guitarist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR-kNFZPdYs

For the gamer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONR4NYNWD3M

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TopherCStone posted:

It's good stuff; the PC version can be found on the cheap and is probably the one you want, as load times are substantially improved. You should check the Rocksmith thread, which is fairly active and has helpful goons in there.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Thanks for the tips. When I get home I'll check those videos out, reading the thread now.

I'm also going to order some strings for New Standard Tuning

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jumping on the Rocksmith wagon for a second to ask a question that I think is better suited to this thread.

When I first got rocksmith for the PS3, I noticed that my guitar hummed like crazy when I wasn't touching a metal part; be it fretting the strings or just laying my hand on the bridge or fiddling with the buttons.

Seeing as it never did that kind of noise when playing with an amp, I just assumed it had something to do with the rocksmith cable or the ps3, but then I got it for the PC and the noise continued. I borrowed a new cable from a friend and while the noise has been drastically reduced, it still does it and it's particularly noticeable with some pedal effects (Next Girl by Black Keys comes to mind).

Are there any tutorials/videos on how to check for proper grounding? I'm handy with a soldering iron if it comes to that.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Edmond Dantes posted:

Jumping on the Rocksmith wagon for a second to ask a question that I think is better suited to this thread.

When I first got rocksmith for the PS3, I noticed that my guitar hummed like crazy when I wasn't touching a metal part; be it fretting the strings or just laying my hand on the bridge or fiddling with the buttons.

Seeing as it never did that kind of noise when playing with an amp, I just assumed it had something to do with the rocksmith cable or the ps3, but then I got it for the PC and the noise continued. I borrowed a new cable from a friend and while the noise has been drastically reduced, it still does it and it's particularly noticeable with some pedal effects (Next Girl by Black Keys comes to mind).

Are there any tutorials/videos on how to check for proper grounding? I'm handy with a soldering iron if it comes to that.

It's probably because of your computer. Computers make guitars noisy.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
^^^What he said.
It's more than likely your TV/Monitor/Power Source.

Polidoro fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 24, 2013

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I really want to love Rocksmith, because it's really cool, but I loving suck at it. I'm just horrible at rhythm games in general, even though I have pretty good rhythm normally. There's just this weird disconnect for me when looking at the notes on screen and hearing where they should be falling, and it never seems like they fall at the right place. Like, when I go to play Icky Thump in Rocksmith, I gently caress it up royally every time until I pause the game and then I can play the riff just fine. Maybe I just need to spend more time with it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I really want to love Rocksmith, because it's really cool, but I loving suck at it. I'm just horrible at rhythm games in general, even though I have pretty good rhythm normally. There's just this weird disconnect for me when looking at the notes on screen and hearing where they should be falling, and it never seems like they fall at the right place. Like, when I go to play Icky Thump in Rocksmith, I gently caress it up royally every time until I pause the game and then I can play the riff just fine. Maybe I just need to spend more time with it.

Could be display/sound lag too depending on your setup.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

When you touch the metal bits, you're grounding the noise out. Like others said, whatever electronics are near you are probably adding a bunch of noise that your guitar and cable are picking up. Easy solution is always be touching at least one string or one grounded part of the guitar.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Kilometers Davis posted:

Could be display/sound lag too depending on your setup.

I dunno. I use HDMI from my PS3 to the TV, and an optical cable to a receiver for the audio. There doesn't seem to be much delay, but I guess it's worth looking into. This has happened to me with every rhythm game I've ever played, though. Any time I've tried playing Guitar Hero, the people I'm playing with who know the game are really good at it, and I have major issues. I think I probably just need to practice it more.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Verizian posted:

I still say regular Les Paul's are ugly, except for purple or green ones with flame maple tops. Helps that this thing is incredibly light for a LP style too.
Just for you, because everyone else thinks I'm weird and that they're the wrong color:

Bottom one's slated for black knobs and zebra humbuckers as soon as I get off my rear end and get around to it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I love funky colored les pauls. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I would kill for an emerald green quilt top LP with all the trimmings.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

TopherCStone posted:

When you touch the metal bits, you're grounding the noise out. Like others said, whatever electronics are near you are probably adding a bunch of noise that your guitar and cable are picking up. Easy solution is always be touching at least one string or one grounded part of the guitar.

Yeah, I had gotten into the habit of resting my hand on the volume knobs if I wasn't fretting something but thought it may have been a grounding issue after trying another cable didn't work out.

Thanks to Declan MacManus and Polidoro for chiming in as well.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

What's happening, purple Les Paul club??

\/ Hater :) \/

Revvik fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 24, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
That's not a Les Paul.

:colbert:

I can never get used to a trapezoid at the first fret.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 24, 2013

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Anyone tried the 18volt mod with ESP designed ALH-200 active pups?

iostream.h posted:

Just for you, because everyone else thinks I'm weird and that they're the wrong color:

Bottom one's slated for black knobs and zebra humbuckers as soon as I get off my rear end and get around to it.

Revvik posted:

That's exactly what I mean. Also I like a marker on the first fret, lets you tune to DGCFAD and capo at the 2nd fret for EADGBE without any confusion while learning.

RE: Rocksmith Stuff

The game is awesome but it has a few flaws, apparently most of which have been fixed for the sequel Rocksmith 2014 edition due in a couple of months. Don't let that put you off getting the first game though, if you own both then the original 50 odd tracks carry over along with any DLC tracks. Dunno about customs though, apparently they've reworked everything into a new file format.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Revvik posted:

\/ Hater :) \/
Hey man, your LP has a thing dangling below the pickups.
You should have that seen to before it metastasizes. ;)

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

iostream.h posted:

Hey man, your LP has a thing dangling below the pickups.
You should have that seen to before it metastasizes. ;)

The pick guard? I've thought about it but it's never bothered me enough to get rid of it (and risk losing it, which could be annoying). Not like I'm a stranger to taking it apart.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Anyone feel like weighing in on scale lengths? I've been doing a lot of study about what scale lengths work best for me and how they affect my playing and tone. I'm switching between Gibsons and Fender since they're the standards. I feel like Gibson's is more comfortable playing on the neck, especially on the lower frets, but I get sloppy high up letting my fingers mute the strings sustain a little. On the Fenders I like the extra tension and more room when it comes to tone and control. Open chords also come out a bit clearer on them. The only negative I can find is the size and need to stretch more but that's a very small issue. If I had to pick one right now as the "ideal" length I'd grab the SG. Just fits my hands better and the muting issues are a player issue, not the guitar.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Revvik posted:

The pick guard? I've thought about it but it's never bothered me enough to get rid of it (and risk losing it, which could be annoying). Not like I'm a stranger to taking it apart.
Yeah, I can't stand 'em on LPs, no idea why they just aren't right.

Neither of the two purples ones were ever drilled, I think the only ones I have that even still have them on are a mid-80s black standard that's my 'gigging/beatthefuckoutifit' and a plain mahogany slab studio that's set up for slide.

RE: Scale length, it's nothing I ever really think about, the song/set tends to dictate what guitar I'm using (and we manage sets around switching guitars, I rarely ever do it mid-set), a good friend a while back observed that my playing style changes DRASTICALLY based on what guitar I'm playing, regardless of the song in question. He says (and I've never really noticed it myself) that I get goofy aggressive on a Les Paul, restrained, reserved and very conservative on a Strat and 'clinical' on PRS (CU24, not a big fan of 22s). He says I should ditch everything but the LPs as a result. I dunno, I buy them based on how they feel and sound, not because of the scale, I just don't care.

On a sidenote: loving out of my regular strings for my PRS, put a lighter set on it and loving bottoming out and buzzing like a bitch. Piss.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

iostream.h posted:

Yeah, I can't stand 'em on LPs, no idea why they just aren't right.

I feel the same way about LPs without them, I've got my first Les Paul tattooed on the inside of my forearm, pickguard and all. Can't imagine it without a pickguard it would just look weird.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Epi Lepi posted:

I feel the same way about LPs without them, I've got my first Les Paul tattooed on the inside of my forearm, pickguard and all. Can't imagine it without a pickguard it would just look weird.

pic? That sounds like a pretty good tattoo.

Jimmy Page left the pickguard on his Les Pauls. I figure he was probably onto something, though I'm not sure what.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I can go either way. I'm gonna save up for one of the Custom Florentine Les Paul reissues they got out at the moment, and those come without a pickguard and I'm not drilling any holes into a 4k guitar for any reason.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

jwh posted:

Jimmy Page left the pickguard on his Les Pauls. I figure he was probably onto something, though I'm not sure what.

Heroin :v:

I prefer the look of LPs with pickguards, though I don't have one to compare playability with and without. SGs definitely need them, though.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I can go either way. I'm gonna save up for one of the Custom Florentine Les Paul reissues they got out at the moment, and those come without a pickguard and I'm not drilling any holes into a 4k guitar for any reason.

The nice thing about newer Les Pauls is that Gibson drills the holes for you!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Good.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

Anyone feel like weighing in on scale lengths? I've been doing a lot of study about what scale lengths work best for me and how they affect my playing and tone. I'm switching between Gibsons and Fender since they're the standards. I feel like Gibson's is more comfortable playing on the neck, especially on the lower frets, but I get sloppy high up letting my fingers mute the strings sustain a little. On the Fenders I like the extra tension and more room when it comes to tone and control. Open chords also come out a bit clearer on them. The only negative I can find is the size and need to stretch more but that's a very small issue. If I had to pick one right now as the "ideal" length I'd grab the SG. Just fits my hands better and the muting issues are a player issue, not the guitar.

I like my Carvin's 25" scale length. Tension can be adjusted with string sizes, so it's not like if you pick one you're limited only to low or high tension.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't really think about it too much unless I'm going to be using a guitar that's tuned low as poo poo or has more than 6 strings. When I'm using a 6 tuned down to drop B or B standard or whatever, nasty thick strings are great because I'm going to get that thick sludgy sound. If it's a 7, I want a little bit more so I can use less thick strings for the low B and get a more even sound from all the strings.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
What size strings do you use for tuning to B? The first place I tried to buy a Viper from said it could be set up for ADGCFA tuning with Ernie Ball baritone slinkies and I'd still like to try it at some point.

Probably with my strat as it needs a new bridge, the roller nut is already a little high for normal string gauges and it has both low and high pass tone controls to cut through excess mud.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I dunno, for a viper I'd probably go for like something between a 62-70 on the low end and a 13-14 on the high, erring towards something a little thinner.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I've tuned down to A (can't play Dopethrone any other way) with 13's before. Didn't require anything funky/special. May or may not require a setup.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Thanks I'll probably grab a baritone slinky set in 13-72 then and try them on my strat. Looking to try playing some Bolt Thrower tabs I found and possibly capo up to B/C for Type O' Negative or Anaal Nathrakh. I'll have to expand the string holes in the tuners though, heaviest strings it's taken before were 13-65's and that was a tight fit.

Didn't end up getting the Viper but I'm more than happy with my Eclipse. Want to keep it in E or D standard though as it's a hardtail and droptunes easily.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Be careful though, if you keep a guitar in a low enough tuning for a while it's almost impossible to get the neck to feel good in a higher tuning. I'm pretty sure my SG will explode if it goes any higher than C.

For drop A, try these guys:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dr-strings-drop-down-tuning-mega-heavy-guitar-strings

13-17-22-42-56-65

For B on a baritone you could try

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/daddario-ej21-xl-nickel-jazz-light-electric-guitar-strings

12-16-24w-32-42-52

I use these guys on my SG and LTD Eclipse in B and C standard (though they switch between B and C every once in a while now)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/daddario-ej22-nickel-jazz-medium-electric-guitar-strings

These are just some starter gauges to see what looks good at a reasonable price. Though heavy gauge strings are kinda expensive so don't expect to normally pay less than 6 bucks unless some goon knows of a good place to get these guys in bulk for cheap. Tips and tricks: for tuning that low I prefer a wound 4th string as a plain string that gauge will loving hurt your hands when you try bar chords. You could butch up and deal with it if you like the tone, or just get a wound fourth.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't think I've seen people have that problem before, so I'll take your word for it.

Alternatively, "I think it's just because you're really bad at doing something ha ha."

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The ltd eclipse felt weird in standard tuning, like there was a constant fret buzz no matter what I tried. I called up the previous owner and apparently he had it in Drop C. So after I got the mockingbird I put heavy strings on the eclipse, gave her a quick setup in c standard and left it in a case for a week. Opened it back up and that guitar plays really nice now, only a slight fret buzz that's going away every day.

Next project; either desecrate a tele by routing in a humbucker or put passives in the eclipse instead of EMGs.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Francostein posted:

Be careful though, if you keep a guitar in a low enough tuning for a while it's almost impossible to get the neck to feel good in a higher tuning. I'm pretty sure my SG will explode if it goes any higher than C.

All that wood in your guitar neck spent quite a long time with exactly 0 string tension on it

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I dunno. I use HDMI from my PS3 to the TV, and an optical cable to a receiver for the audio. There doesn't seem to be much delay, but I guess it's worth looking into. This has happened to me with every rhythm game I've ever played, though. Any time I've tried playing Guitar Hero, the people I'm playing with who know the game are really good at it, and I have major issues. I think I probably just need to practice it more.

I think this is your problem then. Pretty sure I remember the best way to set up your audio for Rocksmith is to use RCA's to your stereo from your console. There's also a latency setup thing you can do to in the options somewhereto make sure you're getting everything bang on.

I haven't played it for something like a year now, but what I do remember is the riff from Icky Thump being fun as poo poo to play. I think I had to restart more than once from just rocking out on that riff in the jam section while it's loading and not paying attention that it had actually loaded already and I was missing notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

TopherCStone posted:

All that wood in your guitar neck spent quite a long time with exactly 0 string tension on it

I always thought they made guitar necks like they did ship hulls and steamed them so they wouldn't crack.