Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Though to be fair, Matrix probably would have been weaker with Will Smith. Reeves was made for that movie.

I once attended a talk by Joss Whedon where he argued, at great length, that Keanu Reeves was one of the best casting decisions for a popular film of that decade. The short of it was, Keanu Reeves is ethnically ambiguous and sexually androgynous in ways that perfectly reflect the transhumanism of the setting. And his vaguely stoned, mystified demeanor is exactly what the film needed, tonally, to make its pseudo-religious arguments credible. The Wachowskis needed a blank slate character, on both characterization and representation grounds, and that's what Keanu delivered.

Which makes sense. Will Smith is a competent actor, but anything he was in during the 90's became, "a Will Smith movie." Any man who can convincingly play Muhammad Ali is probably a poor fit for something quiet, pliable, introspective, and generally passive. A Will Smith "Neo" would be radically different, and not necessarily for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Xealot posted:

I once attended a talk by Joss Whedon where he argued, at great length, that Keanu Reeves was one of the best casting decisions for a popular film of that decade. The short of it was, Keanu Reeves is ethnically ambiguous and sexually androgynous in ways that perfectly reflect the transhumanism of the setting. And his vaguely stoned, mystified demeanor is exactly what the film needed, tonally, to make its pseudo-religious arguments credible. The Wachowskis needed a blank slate character, on both characterization and representation grounds, and that's what Keanu delivered.

Which makes sense. Will Smith is a competent actor, but anything he was in during the 90's became, "a Will Smith movie." Any man who can convincingly play Muhammad Ali is probably a poor fit for something quiet, pliable, introspective, and generally passive. A Will Smith "Neo" would be radically different, and not necessarily for the best.

Keanu is perfectly cast for that film and I can't imagine how much worse The Matrix would've been with Will Smith as the lead instead. It would have an entirely different tone, Keanu fits into the tone that the rest of the film was going for perfectly and Smith would've changed that entire balance.

Keanu's one of those actors with very little range, but when you cast them within that range they tend to work really well. I feel the same way about Nic Cage, you cast him as a leading man and he utterly lacks the charisma to pull it off, but if you cast him as someone really crazy and unsettling he's wonderful. I liked him in Con Air too, because the film relies on Cusack and Malkovich to drive the story forward and Cage is free to work perfectly well as a more secondary character.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Xealot posted:

For a perfect example: "I, Robot"

(Although, it might not have been purely his fault that it was stripped of most of the meaning.)

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Red Bones posted:

Keanu's one of those actors with very little range, but when you cast them within that range they tend to work really well. I feel the same way about Nic Cage, you cast him as a leading man and he utterly lacks the charisma to pull it off, but if you cast him as someone really crazy and unsettling he's wonderful. I liked him in Con Air too, because the film relies on Cusack and Malkovich to drive the story forward and Cage is free to work perfectly well as a more secondary character.

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans is a perfect example of Nic Cage cast as a crazy, unsettling character, and what do you know--he's amazing in it!

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Red Bones posted:

I feel the same way about Nic Cage, you cast him as a leading man and he utterly lacks the charisma to pull it off, but if you cast him as someone really crazy and unsettling he's wonderful.

This almost perfectly encapsulates my feelings about Jack Nicholson. He has charisma, but only as someone villainous...I despise him in roles where we're asked to be sympathetic or in any way root for his character. Even when he was young in things like Cuckoo's Nest and The Last Detail, he just exudes "terrible rear end in a top hat" in this way I can't shake. The Shining is simply a perfect role for him, because of how innately it taps into his propensity to play violent, sociopathic, spiteful characters really convincingly. As Good As It Gets totally lost me, but I love him in The Departed. It's odd.

He's like my inverse Bill Murray. Who is somehow always endearing, no matter how much of an rear end in a top hat he plays.

It's too bad there's such a backlash against minimalist design in this thread. I'm one of those people who thinks Saul Bass was one of the greatest pop artist of the 20th century, and can totally get into retro Bass-inspired designs.

Like this one from Fernando Reza, which I personally really like (didn't see if it was posted):

Wendell
May 11, 2003

It's not a backlash against minimalism as a concept, I'm sure most everyone here respects Saul Bass. It's a backlash against lazy bullshit and opaquely obscure references.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Wendell posted:

It's not a backlash against minimalism as a concept, I'm sure most everyone here respects Saul Bass. It's a backlash against lazy bullshit and opaquely obscure references.

Seconding this. There's a reason most "minimalist" posters are either simplistically rearranged type or basic outlines on a solid color background, and it isn't out of a sincere desire to boil a movie down to a single element.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I've said it before in here, and I'll probably say it again: If you add distressed paper textures and filters to make your minimalist poster look old and worn out, it isn't minimalist. There's a huge difference between Saul Bass' work and the bullshit that fans pump out.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Here's our poster for Prisoners. The one sheet here is kinda...fine. But go see this movie. It's incredible. I can't stop thinking about it.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
Mondo had a bunch of Studio Ghibli stuff at Comic Con, and are having a couple up tomorrow (Both by Olly Moss)

Spirited Away

Howl's Moving Castle

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

kiimo posted:

Here's our poster for Prisoners. The one sheet here is kinda...fine. But go see this movie. It's incredible. I can't stop thinking about it.

I love, love, love Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal and I remember you (at least I think it was you) posted the trailer a while back so I will definitely be looking out for this.

The poster is pretty alright I think, I'm guessing there's no way Hugh and Jake aren't pretty prominent on there. With those stars and that genre I'd be worried about guns being added as time goes on. Maybe for the dvd covers, eh?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

DKWildz posted:

Mondo had a bunch of Studio Ghibli stuff at Comic Con, and are having a couple up tomorrow (Both by Olly Moss)

Spirited Away

Howl's Moving Castle

Someone posted this crap already.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

kiimo posted:

Man, that doesn't register as Hugh Jackman to me at all. It's like a Russell Crowe/Gerard Butler mashup. Nothing offensive at all about that otherwise, though. I kinda like it, though it is very straight-forward "this is a movie starring these stars" kind of thing.

effectual posted:

I know Mondo sucks and it's awesome to rage on them, but those actually look pretty good... What is crap about them?

edit:

GonSmithe posted:

Neither represent the movie they're showing AT ALL.

The first thing I think of when I think Spirited Away is not "drab, muted brown colors."

They're good looking enough, but both are horrible posters for the movies they represent.

Okay yeah that is very true. Good point.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 25, 2013

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Man, that doesn't register as Hugh Jackman to me at all. It's like a Russell Crowe/Gerard Butler mashup. Nothing offensive at all about that otherwise, though. I kinda like it, though it is very straight-forward "this is a movie starring these stars" kind of thing.

I totally don't recognize him. I was even staring at it, knowing who he was, and still couldn't see it. Is it the beard? Is it because he's not yelling in determined fury?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

effectual posted:

The first thing I think of when I think Spirited Away is not "drab, muted brown colors."

They're good looking enough, but both are horrible posters for the movies they represent. Even so I'll probably try to get a Spirited Away one because people pay BANK for Mondo's Ghibli posters.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I saw Jackman instantly but now he's starting to look like Joel from The Last of Us.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

GonSmithe posted:

Even so I'll probably try to get a Spirited Away one because people pay BANK for Mondo's Ghibli posters.

Welcome to while I follow Mondo on twitter even though I hate 99% of their posters, I could always use a few hundred bucks.

mrbo
Apr 4, 2008

Xealot posted:

Like this one from Fernando Reza...

As an aside, this guy didn't send me the poster I bought and then strung me out over email until exactly the day the PayPal dispute period ended then never replied to emails again. So don't buy his posters unless you like being a sucker, I guess.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Honestly, when I first saw that poster I thought it was one of those Zemeckis uncanny valley CG films.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ahem

:colbert:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Stare-Out posted:

I saw Jackman instantly but now he's starting to look like Joel from The Last of Us.

Well Goddamn. If they ever make that a movie that is the perfect guy to play Joel.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

GonSmithe posted:

They're good looking enough, but both are horrible posters for the movies they represent. Even so I'll probably try to get a Spirited Away one because people pay BANK for Mondo's Ghibli posters.

The Spirited Away poster seems appropriate to me. I haven't seen it in like 10 years, but isn't it from the scene where it's getting dark and Chihiro's parents are about to turn into pigs? That's a scary, atmospheric sequence. The colors work because it's twilight and the town is deserted. It evokes the mood of those scenes pretty powerfully for me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DKWildz posted:

Howl's Moving Castle

I just noticed the faces in the background :monocle:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Codependent Poster posted:

Well Goddamn. If they ever make that a movie that is the perfect guy to play Joel.

Incorrect. Josh Brolin is Joel.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

DNS posted:

The Spirited Away poster seems appropriate to me. I haven't seen it in like 10 years, but isn't it from the scene where it's getting dark and Chihiro's parents are about to turn into pigs? That's a scary, atmospheric sequence. The colors work because it's twilight and the town is deserted. It evokes the mood of those scenes pretty powerfully for me.

I'm pretty sure in that scene when everything gets really dark its all shades of blue, not brown. And then it gets lit by a bunch of floating lanterns. Its not a very dark film, colour-wise, I can't recall any scenes where it gets so dark you can't see the colours on Chihiro's clothes. And if you wanted to find a defining colour for that movie, it'd probably be red and not brown, since that's the colour the bathhouse is painted and the colour of uniforms the cleaners wear.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Red Bones posted:

I'm pretty sure in that scene when everything gets really dark its all shades of blue, not brown. And then it gets lit by a bunch of floating lanterns. Its not a very dark film, colour-wise, I can't recall any scenes where it gets so dark you can't see the colours on Chihiro's clothes. And if you wanted to find a defining colour for that movie, it'd probably be red and not brown, since that's the colour the bathhouse is painted and the colour of uniforms the cleaners wear.

Right, it's not a still from the movie. But it works pretty well. The colors in the Howl's poster are a lot more inappropriate, they make it look like a horror movie.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The colours in both of those posters would work a lot better for Grave of the Fireflies.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
Even the Mondo posters that are well designed suffer from the whole near-monochromatic thing.

I wish a company would emerge that dealt strictly in hand-painted quality posters, such as used to be the norm. There are plenty of artists who can do that kind of work and it would be swell to see some unofficial posters that had that kind of craftsmanship.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Mondo have been working with Drew Struzan you know.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mrbo posted:

As an aside, this guy didn't send me the poster I bought and then strung me out over email until exactly the day the PayPal dispute period ended then never replied to emails again. So don't buy his posters unless you like being a sucker, I guess.

Who? Fernando Reza, or Xealot?

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.
I thought this blog post was pertinent to this thread.
Mondo artists draw Batman with their eyes closed:

http://io9.com/artists-draw-batman-with-their-eyes-closed-897054997

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Palpatine MD posted:

I thought this blog post was pertinent to this thread.
Mondo artists draw Batman with their eyes closed:

http://io9.com/artists-draw-batman-with-their-eyes-closed-897054997

Olly Moss draws better with his eyes closed than he does with them open.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

mrbo posted:

That depresses me as I love that Pacific Rim poster.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Well the two sound like best of friends. Should be a fun movie.

The movie looks to be dealing with that aspect of their relationship. I am hoping they keep it honest, considering Disney isn't the only company involved in the film's production.

and I kind of like that poster.

Mister Chief posted:

Mondo have been working with Drew Struzan you know.

Irrelevant! Must poo poo on Mondo at every opportunity! Tis the goon way!

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

I own this, and I watch it every few months. It's a great drinking movie. There is no part of this movie that isn't hilariously dumb.

Wow, Laser Mission. I can confirm that everything this man says is true. This is really a rare, prime example of "so bad it's good." I got it in a set of 100 awful sci fi movies but this is great. And Brandon Lee is a really charasmatic guy in it.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The movie looks to be dealing with that aspect of their relationship. I am hoping they keep it honest, considering Disney isn't the only company involved in the film's production.

and I kind of like that poster.

I love illustration but I love good design just as much.

I think the problem is not that Mondo are shite per se but that they are fairly shite at Movie Posters. The majority of Mondo artists often miss the point, don't have a grasp of good design or seem to aim for style over substance, despite being immensely talented, engaging illustrators.

(Obviously, at the other end you have Mr. Minimal Clipart making GBS threads out obscurities for mutual nerdy JO sessions, and in dead center of this wretched axis are the genuine articles - combinations of adequate design, clarity and meaning that studios pay for and have faith in to sell their films. They're not all Art art, but they do a job)

Wendell
May 11, 2003

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Uh oh, it's the backlash backlash.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

let's take it back a bit further.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Wendell posted:

Uh oh, it's the backlash backlash.

To be fair, the Mondo backlash got old months ago and now it's just annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

ruddiger posted:

let's take it back a bit further.

I think I want this.