Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, are you saying I couldn't transfer the upgrade to my gf's tiered data plan, activate it on her line, then reactivate her phone and activate the new one on mine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

XIII posted:

So, are you saying I couldn't transfer the upgrade to my gf's tiered data plan, activate it on her line, then reactivate her phone and activate the new one on mine?

I've been looking into the Unlimited Two-Step with the One on the way, and if I understand correctly (and it's entirely possible I don't, this poo poo makes my head spin a little bit), no, you can't do this. Even if the transfer is correctly processed without you losing your unlimited data, activating the phone on your line at any time, even if your girlfriend activates it on hers first, will flag you as having used the upgrade and you'll be kicked to tiered.

bub
Apr 9, 2001
ffffffffffff

XIII posted:

This will not remove your unlimited data plan. If you are activating the new phone on your line first, that will kill the plan. After the first activation, the system recognizes the phone as customer provided equipment for further activations, which won't make you change grandfathered plans.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Awesome. I really wonder how much longer we have to Verizon just flat out says, "gently caress you" to us holdouts and yanks unlimited altogether.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

XIII posted:

Awesome. I really wonder how much longer we have to Verizon just flat out says, "gently caress you" to us holdouts and yanks unlimited altogether.

This is the reason why I decided to just sign a new contract. In my area, Verizon and AT&T are the only options, so going to a competitor with better data options wasn't something I could do. I just don't trust verizon to let me keep using unlimited data on my month-to-month contract. I'd be royally pissed if I paid $600 for a new phone and lost unlimited a month or two later.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Acrolos posted:

This is the reason why I decided to just sign a new contract. In my area, Verizon and AT&T are the only options, so going to a competitor with better data options wasn't something I could do. I just don't trust verizon to let me keep using unlimited data on my month-to-month contract. I'd be royally pissed if I paid $600 for a new phone and lost unlimited a month or two later.

If they ever end all unlimited data plans, they should be required to announce this at least 2 years in advance. But, in reality, it'll probably be closer to 2 months in advance.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
There is no reason for them to end unlimited data. They risk losing the customers. Some revenue is better than zero revenue. They will just entice them to move to a tiered plan instead.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

There is no reason for them to end unlimited data. They risk losing the customers. Some revenue is better than zero revenue. They will just entice them to move to a tiered plan instead.

Or they will start throttling, I'm really surpised they haven't started throttling at least at 10gb yet.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Stick100 posted:

Or they will start throttling, I'm really surpised they haven't started throttling at least at 10gb yet.

They arn't allowed to throttle LTE. It was an FCC requirement when they got their spectrum.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

They've already gotten what they wanted out of grandfathered unlimited customers, which is to make those people pay more by not taking subsidies. It's a backdoor price increase on the data plan without changing the number you pay every month.

And given what the Verizon employees here seem to all say in this thread, for every one customer who uses a ton of data, there are probably quite a few more who would actually save money on a tiered plan, but think "OMG MY UNLIMITED!". If those people continue to pay full price for phones in spite of using 64kb of data a month, that's even more money for Verizon.

Don't forget that they added that 12 month payment plan that keeps your unlimited. They wouldn't do that if they weren't pleased as punch with what they've done.

Don Lapre posted:

They arn't allowed to throttle LTE. It was an FCC requirement when they got their spectrum.

They are allowed some vague "reasonable network management," from what I've read. Who knows what that is, though, I couldn't find anything in the open access regs that actually clarified that term. I'm sure that if they should do anything along those lines at all, people will take them to court to test just what "reasonable" means.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

And given what the Verizon employees here seem to all say in this thread, for every one customer who uses a ton of data, there are probably quite a few more who would actually save money on a tiered plan, but think "OMG MY UNLIMITED!". If those people continue to pay full price for phones in spite of using 64kb of data a month, that's even more money for Verizon.

I was this guy. I've never used more than 4gb of data for my entire family, but I was terrified of losing unlimited. I'm still a little worried about it after switching, mainly because you never know what the future of data will be.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
My contract is up today. I've had a Droid Razr 1st gen for two years. I do like having the large screen but I'm strongly considering just getting an iPhone 5. Of course, in a few months the new iPhone will be out, along with the Verizon HTC One and the new Droids so I'm kinda torn at this point. Would you guys wait for the new phones or upgrade now? I'm lucky if my current phone lasts 6 hours off the charger and Android as a whole is kinda getting annoying.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Acrolos posted:

I was this guy. I've never used more than 4gb of data for my entire family, but I was terrified of losing unlimited. I'm still a little worried about it after switching, mainly because you never know what the future of data will be.

This is my problem. I rarely use more than 2GB in a month, and my family plan's aggregate data generally stays below 6GB (FIL is on a 2GB tiered plan), but the fear of what can happen when I DON'T have unlimited keeps me here. I don't ever want to feel like my next email notification could cost me $10.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

My last job had wifi, so, between that and my home wifi, I never used much data at all. My new job does not AND I spend the whole day listening to music/podcasts. I usually download the podcasts the night before when I'm at home, but the music is all streaming, so I tend to finish the month around the 10 gig mark.

XIII fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 25, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Cyrezar posted:

My contract is up today. I've had a Droid Razr 1st gen for two years. I do like having the large screen but I'm strongly considering just getting an iPhone 5. Of course, in a few months the new iPhone will be out, along with the Verizon HTC One and the new Droids so I'm kinda torn at this point. Would you guys wait for the new phones or upgrade now? I'm lucky if my current phone lasts 6 hours off the charger and Android as a whole is kinda getting annoying.

Personally I'd wait and take a look at the new Droid ULTRA's that are being released on August 20th.

If you care about battery life, you won't find anything anywhere that'll beat the Ultra Maxx.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The Ultra and Maxx are two different phones, there is no Ultra Maxx.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

big mean giraffe posted:

The Ultra and Maxx are two different phones, there is no Ultra Maxx.

Eh, he'll get what I mean.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

tzirean posted:

I've been looking into the Unlimited Two-Step with the One on the way, and if I understand correctly (and it's entirely possible I don't, this poo poo makes my head spin a little bit), no, you can't do this. Even if the transfer is correctly processed without you losing your unlimited data, activating the phone on your line at any time, even if your girlfriend activates it on hers first, will flag you as having used the upgrade and you'll be kicked to tiered.
Yeah you can do that. If anyone asks I didn't tell you these things.

When you do 2-year pricing you have two options:

1.) The new phone is activated on the line that is eligible for the upgrade. This requires a transition to tiered data plans if that line is on unlimited. If it is already on tiered data no problem.

Move the new phone to the line that has unlimited as Customer Provided Equipment or just swap SIM cards if they are the same type. Unlimited data is not lost.

2.) The new phone is activated on another line on the same account while renewing the contract on the line that is giving it away. This can be done by Transferring the upgrade online or by specifying an Alternate or Buddy upgrade with customer service. This requires a transition to tiered data plans for the line where the phone is activated. The line that renewed its contract is left untouched and can retain unlimited data.

I know this reads like crazy nonsense but basically where the contract phone goes the unlimited data feature goes away.

Bonus Tip: At present giving away upgrades or Alternate upgrades are not allowed on non-phone lines like Jetpacks or USB sticks. But there is nothing stopping you from upgrading your Jetpack to a smartphone and then moving the smartphone to another smartphone line as Customer Provided Equipment and then changing the Jetpack back to a Jetpack. And you keep unlimited data on the smartphone line.

So many loopholes :allears:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the advice. I ended up just getting the iPhone 5 after playing with all the phones they had available. Was not a fan of the SGS4 even though the hardware is fancy. The screen was kinda dark even at max brightness and had a blue tint to it. For shits and giggles I looked at the new Nokia windows phones but using Windows 8 on my desktop for a year has led me to despise the Metro UI. My favorite phone there besides the iPhone was actually the HTC Droid DNA, the screen was amazing.

One question...I signed up for the $10 a month insurance since I don't like using cases. Is it better to just get AppleCare+ instead of paying VZW every month? Not sure what Apple would cover in the event the phone is lost or stolen, which has been a huge problem around here lately.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Cyrezar posted:

One question...I signed up for the $10 a month insurance since I don't like using cases. Is it better to just get AppleCare+ instead of paying VZW every month? Not sure what Apple would cover in the event the phone is lost or stolen, which has been a huge problem around here lately.
You will pay way more in insurance over the 2 years than AppleCare+, and insurance has a much higher deductible if you actually need to claim on it. Verizon's insurance has a $170 or $200 deductible depending on if you got the 16GB or 32-64GB models. AppleCare+ is $100 up front and you get two instances of damage for $50 each.

The tradeoff is that Apple will not do anything about lost or stolen phones other than sell you a new iPhone. But if you break your phone, you will pay a lot less than you would on Verizon's insurance.

Apple charges $229 to replace broken iPhone 5 out of warranty, so AppleCare+ is better than Asurion, but actually "doing nothing" would also be better than Asurion unless you break the phone less than 6 months in.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 26, 2013

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Asurion is an awful company on top of everything else.

You have a 80% chance of getting a shittly done refurb with bootleg chineese parts as your replacement.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Mighty Horse posted:

You have a 80% chance of getting a shittly done refurb with bootleg chineese parts as your replacement.

Is this true?

I haven't had to use them in a couple of years but when I was in high school I used it to the point that we were dropped from the plan and never had any issues with any of my refurbs.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
How many of you goons have given Windows Phone a fair shake? Mainly the Nokia Lumia 928 Also: how many of you are potentially interested in the Lumia 1020, or w.e subsequent code Verizon gives it. A guy at work recently grabbed the 928 and loves it. He switched from the Razr Maxx. Not that I'm jumping up and down to jump ship, I'm just curious to get some goon feedback.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mighty Horse posted:

I have a lady. Who did a claim for an iPhone 5. She's received 2 cricket flashed iPhones. She's a sprint customer.

Asurion sucks. :-(

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

cuedotcom posted:

How many of you goons have given Windows Phone a fair shake? Mainly the Nokia Lumia 928 Also: how many of you are potentially interested in the Lumia 1020, or w.e subsequent code Verizon gives it. A guy at work recently grabbed the 928 and loves it. He switched from the Razr Maxx. Not that I'm jumping up and down to jump ship, I'm just curious to get some goon feedback.

There is a WP thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514718

There is also a WP App thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439197

Note: Each one of them gets something like 2 posts for 60 in the Android thread. I'm sure it's even worse compared to iPhone. It's chicken/egg, no users/engagement=no apps.

Yes I've tried WP several times several platforms.

It's always one generation behind Android in hardware and it's basically a mix of Android and iPhone.

You get some advantages of like iPhone (home button almost always works, and high stability) and the disadvantages of iPhone (severe restrictions of what apps can do).

If you don't use navigation, and don't use many apps it's a pretty good solution. But in that case almost certainly an iPhone would be a better solution.

The tiny ecosystem of bad apps is really the only thing holding it back from being a decent 3rd choice. As of now WP has most of the necessary apps but they are extremely low quality compared to iOS and Android. Since both iOS and Android have roughly 10x the users and probably 100x the revenue the quality of apps is just not there.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 29, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

This is my problem. I rarely use more than 2GB in a month, and my family plan's aggregate data generally stays below 6GB (FIL is on a 2GB tiered plan), but the fear of what can happen when I DON'T have unlimited keeps me here. I don't ever want to feel like my next email notification could cost me $10.
Even if you went over every month across a two year contract, you'd still end up saving when compared to paying full price (or even used price) for a phone.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Is this true?

I haven't had to use them in a couple of years but when I was in high school I used it to the point that we were dropped from the plan and never had any issues with any of my refurbs.

I experienced similar issues. I had a replacement for my Moto i730. The one they sent had some cheap-rear end 3rd world-produced battery (weighed less than half of the OEM battery) and a sticky 1 key. I was able to work with the 1 key through the EOL of the phone, but I kept the OEM battery and shipped the lovely one back with the broken phone.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Personally I'd wait and take a look at the new Droid ULTRA's that are being released on August 20th.

If you care about battery life, you won't find anything anywhere that'll beat the Ultra Maxx.

I am having such a horrible experience with my Droid Razr that I don't think I will ever get another Motorola product again.

What makes it even worse is that it has a crack in the glass (doesn't affect screen), and that this is the last unlimited data phone I'll have.

I was somehow getting over 4gb a month mostly just streaming google music on the 20 minute trip to and from work (and errands on weekends). I can't imagine how much it would be if I went back to public transit.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

You don't have to buy new phones through Verizon to replace a device. I have seen GS3s on Craigslist for around $200.

Can you transer upgrades across accounts? My mom isn't going to use her upgrade, but is on a separate account from my family. I can order a phone & do the activation dance, but would prefer to not have to.

highme fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 30, 2013

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

highme posted:

You don't have to buy new phones through Verizon to replace a device. I have seen GS3s on Craigslist for around $200.

Can you transer upgrades across accounts? My mom isn't going to use her upgrade, but is on a separate account from my family. I can order a phone & do the activation dance, but would prefer to not have to.
Alternate upgrades can't cross accounts or even sub-accounts when creating the order. If you have a basic phone line or one with non-grandfathered features you can target the order there and then just change the device back to its original freeing up the new device.

highme
May 25, 2001

That's what I gathered. I'm going to wait a bit anyways. My only beef with my current device (gnex) is battery life, and for the times when that is more important than speed, I'll turn off my LTE radio. But since most of my use is at work, plugged in, it's not a big deal.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I've been searching around but I'm still really confused. I have a Droid Razr Maxx HD with a Verizon contract. I'm traveling abroad and I'm wondering if I rent a GSM sim card, will it work? My phone is rooted, but I don't think that's the same as unlocked...

E: I gather I may also be able to use global roaming with my existing SIM card... how can I compare which of these options will be cheaper? I don't plan to use lots of data, I just would like to have it available "just in case".

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 30, 2013

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

highme posted:

Technically no. But once the phone is activated on the line eligible for upgrade, if it's then device swapped out it's only seen as CPE (Customer Provided Equipment) from then on, thus not triggering a migration off unlimited for many lines it's activated on thereafter.

highme
May 25, 2001

I know how that trick works. It's why my kids rarely get new phones. My mom lives about an hour away, so I was hoping to avoid having to make that drive. Though I could probably just have the phone delivered to my address.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

highme posted:

I know how that trick works. It's why my kids rarely get new phones. My mom lives about an hour away, so I was hoping to avoid having to make that drive. Though I could probably just have the phone delivered to my address.

How does it involve her? Have her add you as an authorized user to her account, go upgrade, tell them it's a gift for the person (who's number you use the upgrade on) and they should reactivate their old handset immediately. Usually there is no service interruption if the old equipment is reactivated within ~10-15mins.

If it's a LTE->LTE upgrade just ask them to leave the old SIM card active. If it's CDMA->LTE just ask for an extra for when you do call in to activate.

Edit: I've only ever been able to get them to deliver to the billing address on the account. :shrug:

highme
May 25, 2001

She already gave me access to her account online. I'm just going to order it from there because it's less of a hassle at this point. If I can't have it shipped to my address I'll go visit her, she'll like that.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
So if I'm going to Canada for 4 days in October do I need to do anything special like call VZN to get auth'd for cell or data? Regardless of the answer to that, could a knowledgeable rep perhaps give me a clear English version of the carrier's policies on int'l data consumption rates?

I'm not poor, if I get charged $40 for just doing what we normally do on our phones that's something I can live with, but I'd like to avoid a situation where I think I'll have cell/data then I get off the train and have nothing *or* it costs us $600 to use gMaps and an hour of Spotify.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

wattershed posted:

So if I'm going to Canada for 4 days in October do I need to do anything special like call VZN to get auth'd for cell or data? Regardless of the answer to that, could a knowledgeable rep perhaps give me a clear English version of the carrier's policies on int'l data consumption rates?

I'm not poor, if I get charged $40 for just doing what we normally do on our phones that's something I can live with, but I'd like to avoid a situation where I think I'll have cell/data then I get off the train and have nothing *or* it costs us $600 to use gMaps and an hour of Spotify.

Call 611, have them add intl roaming. $0.69/min, $0.25/SMS/MMS (incoming AND outgoing) $25/100MB.

If you have any issues, call 1-800-888-8000, then after the tone enter 9085594899 and use PIN 2392. Then enter 0-908-559-4899 the system should prompt for your Verizon phone number and connect you to Global Support

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 31, 2013

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

SeaborneClink posted:

Call 611, have them add intl roaming. $0.69/min, $0.25/SMS/MMS (incoming AND outgoing) $25/100MB.

If you have any issues, call 1-800-888-8000, then after the tone enter 9085594899 and use PIN 2392. Then enter 0-908-559-4899 the system should prompt for your Verizon phone number and connect you to Global Support

Canada voice roaming recently increased to $0.89 / min. Also if you are on a Share Everything plan you can switch to Share Everything + Canada & Mexico for $15 more for the month. The data plan is still extra but if you're making more than 20 min worth of phone calls it is probably worth it. If you are not already on a Share Everything you can switch but the cost increase might be greater and you'll lose any unlimited data plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

SeaborneClink posted:

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

Canada voice roaming recently increased to $0.89 / min. Also if you are on a Share Everything plan you can switch to Share Everything + Canada & Mexico for $15 more for the month. The data plan is still extra but if you're making more than 20 min worth of phone calls it is probably worth it. If you are not already on a Share Everything you can switch but the cost increase might be greater and you'll lose any unlimited data plans.

Two very useful responses, thank you so much.

I'm not on unlimited and we use far more data than voice (and, compared to many, we don't use that much data) but it'll be nice to do some basic travel browsing when needed. I was expecting much higher rates, honestly, so that's cool.

• Locked thread