Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

polish sausage posted:

I know. As far as new content goes, that's the one thing that actually annoys the hell out of me.

Yeah, the hot springs scenes are just terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I mentioned this in the Persona 4 thread, but the Playstation Store has all the Persona games on sale right now. Persona 4 Golden is 20 while Persona 1, 2 Innocent Sin, and Persona 3 Portable are each ten. No discount on Eternal Punishment, but Persona 3 FEZ is only 5 bucks.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Except she is, every single social link scene with her involves like 3 other IT members coming in from no where and fawning over her. She is completely shoe-horned in to the group in a desperate attempt to make people like her. She is a jerk to everyone and they all just laugh it off before being all
"Gosh marie-chan, your're so cool. [protagonist] sure knows how to make cool friends!" :v: She even takes Nanako's spot in the prerequisite "all your social links cheer you on during the final boss moment of despair."

I felt this same way about Naoto as well. But she was a lot more bearable than Marie.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't really mind her dungeon, all things considered. But I did not care for her S. Link, which made her feel like spare wheel poorly inserted in at the last minute. I guess she does have some fanfiction qualities to it as well. Strangely enough her link probably would have been better if the other characters weren't involved, assuming it was coupled with her showing up in the story proper from time to time.

On the bright side of things I can buy Victory Cry from her for 500,000 yen!

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Alteisen posted:

I felt this same way about Naoto as well. But she was a lot more bearable than Marie.

No, I'm sure the IT gave her poo poo before she joined, what with putting her life at risk and being rude as hell until she finally mellowed out whereas Marie was rude and standoffish while everyone else was all "Wow, Marie, you're so cool."

The real answer is who cares, just play the game.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Rirse posted:

I mentioned this in the Persona 4 thread, but the Playstation Store has all the Persona games on sale right now. Persona 4 Golden is 20 while Persona 1, 2 Innocent Sin, and Persona 3 Portable are each ten. No discount on Eternal Punishment, but Persona 3 FEZ is only 5 bucks.

Persona 3 FEZ sounds like the best crossover ever.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Nate RFB posted:

This is why I never found P3 to be "dark". It was honestly a pretty ridiculous game that took itself way too seriously. And conversely why I think P4 works so well, since it is not hot topic angsty at all and is just more fun.

Yeap, same here for me. P3 was a fine game, but it was not particularly mind bending, IMO. Neither was P4, but that was just like watching a really good Scooby Doo episode. There wasn't really much angst there, well, beyond some Yukiko/Rise episodes (and Marie). I loved P4, and I liked P3. Also, Marie has nothing on freaking Ken or Aigis. Those two were just terrible characters and Keiji wasn't too far behind. FMC s.links were better simply by virtue of not having Keiji, plus Aigis was less weird. Of course the pluses were then promptly ruined by Ken.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Persona 3 is literally about Death but I don't really think it's a dark game. I mean people die a lot in it but the basic underlying idea behind it is "death is pretty scary but y'know, it's gonna happen. Just enjoy your life instead of worrying about death." It's kinda too peppy and optimistic to really be dark despite having its moments of angst.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Man the first few levels of persona 3 are pretty rough. Dancing hands were tough before I caught on to the different types of physical attack (and even then I died once because bash missed and then they decided to chain zio me). The next boss wasn't bad as some people said though. Are all of elizabeth's requests going to have me rushing like crazy through floors like this though?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

I don't really mind her dungeon, all things considered. But I did not care for her S. Link, which made her feel like spare wheel poorly inserted in at the last minute. I guess she does have some fanfiction qualities to it as well. Strangely enough her link probably would have been better if the other characters weren't involved, assuming it was coupled with her showing up in the story proper from time to time.

On the bright side of things I can buy Victory Cry from her for 500,000 yen!

Her dungeon locked out all my awesome costumes! Worst dungeon ever made! :mad:

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
Outside of the obvious social link scene (which I think is more of a reflection of whoever wrote that than the character as a whole), I really never saw Aigis as just nerd bait or anything. She seemed like a fairly standard and well done "robot coming to terms with humanity" character.

My opinion of most of the P3 cast is just on the positive side of indifferent, but that's probably a result of the narrative being lighter on group interaction / character development scenes.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Considering you do things like shoot yourself in the head to summon Satan and fight an evil Jesus, I think they tried to make P3 dark as hell, they just didn't do that great of a job. I still prefer it to 4 though, as the premise (kill the shadows to make bad stuff stop happening) was better than 4's (solve an 80 hour murder mystery).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Her dungeon locked out all my awesome costumes! Worst dungeon ever made! :mad:

I like to think of Marie's dungeon as a friendly reminder that the team that made SMT: Strange Journey still hates you. :)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

W.T. Fits posted:

I like to think of Marie's dungeon as a friendly reminder that the team that made SMT: Strange Journey still hates you. :)

People got lost in Marie's dungeon? The gimmick was weird and kinda rude, I guess, but that's pretty much the exact opposite of why Strange Journey hates you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I never got lost, I just thought the gimmick was stupid and the dungeon was boring as hell.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

W.T. Fits posted:

The Persona team didn't make the SJ dungeons at all though, that was the Maniax team who just finished SMT IV.
:goonsay:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

El Belmondo posted:

The Persona team didn't make the SJ dungeons at all though, that was the Maniax team who just finished SMT IV.
:goonsay:

The Strange Journey team was called in to make the new dungeon for the Golden.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

alcharagia posted:

The Strange Journey team was called in to make the new dungeon for the Golden.
I wonder why they needed a special team for this. WE NEED DUNGEON DESIGNER TEAM ALPHA, STAT. Let's take away everyone's items! Collect paycheck.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
I thought Marie's dungeon was really good, and thought it made for a neat gimmick that we could have used more of. P4 has boring dungeons in general, not even a moving floor or three floor maze consisting of careful descents through various pits hidden behind fake walls (that are also monsters).

Unmature
May 9, 2008

RentCavalier posted:

I thought Marie's dungeon was really good, and thought it made for a neat gimmick that we could have used more of. P4 has boring dungeons in general, not even a moving floor or three floor maze consisting of careful descents through various pits hidden behind fake walls (that are also monsters).

Yeah, I'm on Naoto's dungeon and at this point am just so drat bored of the dungeon crawling.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

RentCavalier posted:

They have that and it's called SMT IV. Persona is not there for stupidly difficult dungeon designs (hey SJ and Nocturne), not that those are necessarily bad but just not in this game. At least dungeon design was more varied in P4 vs P3.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

oblomov posted:

Persona is not there for stupidly difficult dungeon designs

Someone never played Persona 1/2.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

oblomov posted:

They have that and it's called SMT IV. Persona is not there for stupidly difficult dungeon designs (hey SJ and Nocturne), not that those are necessarily bad but just not in this game. At least dungeon design was more varied in P4 vs P3.

I thought SMT IV had really simple dungeon design for a mainline SMT game. Outside of the final two dungeons and maybe one or two other rooms throughout the game there was nothing much to write home about. There wasn't really anything in the game as clever as Nocturne's Kabukicho Prison, Diet Building, Park, or Obelisk dungeons outside of one or two rooms, and nothing as good as some of the better dungeons in the DDS games.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

jonjonaug posted:

I thought SMT IV had really simple dungeon design for a mainline SMT game. Outside of the final two dungeons and maybe one or two other rooms throughout the game there was nothing much to write home about. There wasn't really anything in the game as clever as Nocturne's Kabukicho Prison, Diet Building, Park, or Obelisk dungeons outside of one or two rooms, and nothing as good as some of the better dungeons in the DDS games.

Most of the dungeons I've explored so far in the game have been loops with one side blocked off by a wall you can only knock down from the other side. The others were straight lines. The Persona 4 dungeons were much longer and had more dead ends.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I presume the Persona games have an M rating in the States primarily for the Satanic mammaries (and other demonic indecencies)? P3 has edgy depictions of teenage ritual suicide, but P4 hardly has anything overly objectionable, however dark some of it's themes get.

Same question applies to the other localized MT games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I presume the Persona games have an M rating in the States primarily for the Satanic mammaries (and other demonic indecencies)? P3 has edgy depictions of teenage ritual suicide, but P4 hardly has anything overly objectionable, however dark some of it's themes get.

Mara alone gets any game an M rating.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Mara alone gets any game an M rating.

You have to respect today's Atlus USA for not messing with the designs or abridging the demon list to target a lower rating.

According to the SMT wikia wiki, the big penis isn't in SMT IV, so I'm guessing mostly boobies there or is something else exceptionally mature? Actually it is in IV.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

There's a different penis monster in SMT4, I saw it earlier tonight and it's some kind of silvery lizard-ish tribal guy with a penis head.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Policenaut posted:

There's a different penis monster in SMT4, I saw it earlier tonight and it's some kind of silvery lizard-ish tribal guy with a penis head.

Mara's in IV (according to the wiki), I missed it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There are multiple penis monsters but Mara is totally in. He gets a big introduction and everything.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Rinkles posted:

The ESRB puts up comically detailed explanations of what they consider to warrant a game's rating. Here's their page on Persona 4

quote:

Pixilated blood spray is briefly depicted during battles, and colored bloodstains stain some walls and floors. Some female monsters (female Persona) are depicted with their breasts exposed, while other monsters have phallic-shaped heads and torsos. Other female Personas (e.g., 'Succubus') have sexual characteristics that are described in text: 'They visit sleeping men and have sexual intercourse with them.' Story elements also make references to alcohol, including a long scene in which the main characters hang out in a club and play 'drinking games.' Although alcohol is never consumed, the characters display the telltale signs of intoxication: slurred speech, staggered walking, and red faces. Profanity (e.g., sh*t, a*shole) can be heard in the dialogue.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

tooooooo bad posted:

The ESRB puts up comically detailed explanations of what they consider to warrant a game's rating. Here's their page on Persona 4

Good to finally know Satan's gender.

Everybody's favorite phallic-shaped torso:

wiregrind
Jun 26, 2013

After hearing about the possibility of a Persona 5 game in the future, I started wondering what kind of setting and style they will use for it now. I hope it draws more inspiration from Persona 4 than from 3, the Tsuritama mood fits Persona really well.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

wiregrind posted:

After hearing about the possibility of a Persona 5 game in the future, I started wondering what kind of setting and style they will use for it now. I hope it draws more inspiration from Persona 4 than from 3, the Tsuritama mood fits Persona really well.

It's kinda looking like it'll just pick up where P4 Arena left off, which I'd be pretty disappointed with.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

It's kinda looking like it'll just pick up where P4 Arena left off, which I'd be pretty disappointed with.

I didn't play P4A. Is there any reason to think P5 will be anything more than tangentially related to the previous games, more than P4 was connected to P43 anyway?

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 25, 2013

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I didn't play P4A. Is there any reason to think P5 will be anything more than tangentially related to the previous games, more than P4 was connected to P4 anyway?

P4A ends on a sequel hook, but I really don't think they'll pick it up in P5 proper. It'll probably come up in a sequel to Arena itself.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 25, 2013

wiregrind
Jun 26, 2013

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

If they do that I hope it's a direct sequel in the vein of Persona 2 Eternal Punishment. They should reserve 5 for something new in the series

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, I definitely prefer these games be only vaguely related to each other, rather than some grand intertwined continuity.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Persona 3 is literally about Death but I don't really think it's a dark game. I mean people die a lot in it but the basic underlying idea behind it is "death is pretty scary but y'know, it's gonna happen. Just enjoy your life instead of worrying about death." It's kinda too peppy and optimistic to really be dark despite having its moments of angst.

I think what you mean to say is that Persona 3 has too much of a HIP FUNKY soundtrack to be a dark game.

Do we know if Meguro is composing for Persona 5 (especially given his absence on SMT4)? I really dig how Persona 3 and 4 both had really cool soundtracks but both had a distinct feel to them. Persona 4's gets a lot of love but I feel 3 gets under-appreciated at time.

RME fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

RME posted:

I think what you mean to say is that Persona 3 has too much of a HIP FUNKY soundtrack to be a dark game.

Do we know if Meguro is composing for Persona 5 (especially given his absence on SMT4)? I really dig how Persona 3 and 4 both had really cool soundtracks but both had a distinct feel to them. Persona 4's gets a lot of love but I feel 3 gets under-appreciated at time.

I think Meguro is pretty much a lock for P5. I mean he has to be, I think he's done every Persona OST, even the anime show and that new movie as well. poo poo man they're going to be performing the OST at Budokan soon which is pretty awesome.

On the subject on which one is better, I think as a whole the P4 soundtrack is just way better. It basically comes down to that there is more of it because of the seperate dungeon themes and P3's tartarus themes weren't as strong IMO. Still I love the poo poo out of the battle themes, intros and more in P3. Basically all the stuff that has singing (and rapping!) is the poo poo. I love this dude's work.