Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
There's a "little" bug where Siam gets to have both Universities and Wats at the same time with Jesuit Education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Why don't Brazilwood Camps count for Hotel/Airport/Visitor's Center? They're a culture improvement, same as Moai/Chateau/Landmarks.

Is it because they're actually a gold improvement until you get Acoustics?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Hannibal Smith posted:

If you hover over the list you should get a tooltip pop-up explaining exactly what it is.

I'm pretty sure that one refers to the total number of hammers your empire generates per turn.

Is there any way to get these lists at different times? Demographics are stupid in this game because there isn't a breakdown and it makes me angry :mad:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Shortest Path posted:

:suicide:

This is the part where I realize I've been playing the game entirely wrong the whole time.

The money is really good too, though. Boosting your capital with trade routes is a good strategy but so is just making a lot of money and making a lot of purchases, especially if you go commerce and get big ben. That said, I think I'm going to play a four city Babylon game soon where I'm using the other three cities to do non-stop food boosts for my capital from the start of the game to the end and see how that turns out.

Brannock posted:

Why don't Brazilwood Camps count for Hotel/Airport/Visitor's Center? They're a culture improvement, same as Moai/Chateau/Landmarks.

I wasn't actually aware that they didn't count for that. But now I'm glad they don't. Brazilwood Camps in a hotel/airport/national visitor center city would just be absurd.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 25, 2013

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Verviticus posted:

Is there any way to get these lists at different times? Demographics are stupid in this game because there isn't a breakdown and it makes me angry :mad:

As far as I know, no. The best you can get is the F8(or is it F9?) screen that tells you size of military, GNP, literacy, etc.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Pvt.Scott posted:

In 1422 AD the Greater Zulu Empire finally knew a few years of peace. Five other cultures had been consumed by centuries of bloody warfare and were finally integrating into their new social order. In Kathmandu an exploration vessel was being commissioned by wealthy Zulu merchants to seek out new shores.

Welp, time to make a caravel and introduce myself to polite society.

"Oh, those smoking ruins? They came with the place, I assure you."

"What are you talking about? Everyone knows Nottingham and London are traditional African names."

Brannock posted:

I guess it's because the description specifically says "Landmarks, Maoi, Chateau".

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 25, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That said, I think I'm going to play a four city Babylon game soon where I'm using the other three cities to do non-stop food boosts for my capital from the start of the game to the end and see how that turns out.

So this is one of those "Easy to build the Great Library" starts, isn't it?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Just played a G+K run for the first time ever with Alexander on Prince, maxed out Patronage, and won a diplomatic victory after making a 12 state strong alliance across the world. Had so much fun I bought BNW, started a run with Germany, and I'm floundering hard. Are there just general all-around tips to getting an effective start in this game? I feel like it gets a lot harder to play when you don't have the support of high Patronage and a ton of allied citystates that can be easily influenced by spies and gold gifts. I feel fuckin' puny and Mongolia's quickly growing kingdom, while pleasant and agreeable now, will assuredly whip back and try to destroy me in due time.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Brannock posted:

Yes, let's all go take a family vacation to the logging camp. :v:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

So this is one of those "Easy to build the Great Library" starts, isn't it?

Yes. Chop all them trees, you won't need 'em.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo. Impi. Like, MEGA powerful. They are moving two tiles through forest and throwing their goddam spear first strike thingies at all my guys like its nothing. They are basically getting a free attack for every adjacent unit without committing to Melee. I went into a war thinking I got this, but with like 6 free attacks a turn, I'm not so sure. It is almost like they get to do it even if they are out of moves to melee. I have got to get me some of those.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Jastiger posted:

Holy poo poo. Impi. Like, MEGA powerful. They are moving two tiles through forest and throwing their goddam spear first strike thingies at all my guys like its nothing. They are basically getting a free attack for every adjacent unit without committing to Melee. I went into a war thinking I got this, but with like 6 free attacks a turn, I'm not so sure. It is almost like they get to do it even if they are out of moves to melee. I have got to get me some of those.

Yeah I just abandoned a game as Assyria where I was taking Shaka's cities fairly comfortably then I ran into my first Impis in a hilly area. That was something alright.

Before I bowed out I tried going straight to Pikemen to see if there was a unit that could tank them and it seemed like they can, at a bit of a loss though. Archers are completely useless against them unless you can sit there for ages chipping away, but that's not exactly a winning strategy if your goal is to take cities.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

And Shaka's unique barracks means that, effectively, he doesn't have one unique unit, but many. The Impi is merely the capstone.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Impi are my favorite because I like war but really, really hate the tedium involved in navigating terrain, especially with melee units. I like naval combat because of how open it is and I heavily value scouts who've upgraded to bows because their positioning is such cake. Impi just create this fluid movement across the battlefield that reminds me a lot of Keshik warfare. Extra movement is such an immeasurably huge advantage.

Now if only I could find Mt. Kilimanjaro as the Zulu. Sprinting across hills all day.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

And this is why as Maya as soon as I noticed Shaka was my immediate neighbor I queued up some composite bows and spears and genocided his capital. :colbert:

About to win a diplo victory in that game but I don't know if I can handle pressing end turn 25 more times while continually undoing Siam's attempts to break my CS alliances.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Super Jay Mann posted:

And this is why as Maya as soon as I noticed Shaka was my immediate neighbor I queued up some composite bows and spears and genocided his capital. :colbert:

About to win a diplo victory in that game but I don't know if I can handle pressing end turn 25 more times while continually undoing Siam's attempts to break my CS alliances.
Ramkhamhaeng is one of the leaders I mistrust and dislike most. He loves to backstab me while always being a giant city-state bribing religion spamming dick. In BNW he seems to like to poo poo out inappropriate cities too.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I genuinely don't get how the AI does the CS thing. I try to be allies with the CS's near me, but it doesn't matter. Alexander in particular manages to snag the CSs anyways. I know his UA has his influence deteriorate half as fast, but it seems a bit silly that he's able to somehow complete every quest, give enough gold, and do just the right things to snatch the alliance with every CS.

How do they do it? How do you guys do it? I don't exactly have the funds to dish out 250 gold every time they near friendship loss levels of influence.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Jastiger posted:

I genuinely don't get how the AI does the CS thing. I try to be allies with the CS's near me, but it doesn't matter. Alexander in particular manages to snag the CSs anyways. I know his UA has his influence deteriorate half as fast, but it seems a bit silly that he's able to somehow complete every quest, give enough gold, and do just the right things to snatch the alliance with every CS.

How do they do it? How do you guys do it? I don't exactly have the funds to dish out 250 gold every time they near friendship loss levels of influence.

Have you played as Alex? I don't even have to bother to make CS allies as him. The bonus to deterioration of influence is enough that if I complete one task on accident it is equivalent to two tasks performed by someone else.

With other civs though, my tactic is to concentrate on one CS at a time. Make one happy, and then move onto the next. Use your spies to befriend them, and always befriend neighbors first as they will have easier tasks like building a road to them, establishing a trade route, spreading your religion, or destroying a barbarian camp.

Overall, just concentrate one one, and slowly move to others. Don't try to make all of them your ally too quickly. Let the AI fight over people they can get while you have one that they can't touch.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Jastiger posted:

Often you can identify civs that have quests in common, or are capable of completing each other's quests. That helps to pump up influence in the first place. You can also encourage CS' to give you easy quests in a few ways, such as by trading away all your resources only to complete a quest by "connecting" a luxury once the trade deal is over. But mostly I just spend cash - remember that you really only need to be allies on the turn of a world congress vote, so you can hold off on paying them if you're broke until the turn prior.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Jastiger posted:

I generally don't worry about maintaining alliances with CSes unless I need their luxuries/mercantile happy up until the late Renaissance/Industrial era, which is around where my gold production snowballs and I'm able to easily bribe them when needed. Or to be more specific in my latest game, when I hit economics and cashed in on the zillions of trade posts I had built :v:

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
How does this look for my second game? Babylon, Prince, Continents Plus, Standard, 8 civs.

I didn't really do any science in my first game and it took forever, so I wanted more science this time and this guy looked good. How does the layout look? Anything jump out at you? I read I should leave the jungle tiles until I can make trading posts for science points?

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011

KingKapalone posted:

How does this look for my second game? Babylon, Prince, Continents Plus, Standard, 8 civs.

I didn't really do any science in my first game and it took forever, so I wanted more science this time and this guy looked good. How does the layout look? Anything jump out at you? I read I should leave the jungle tiles until I can make trading posts for science points?

It isn't terrible - I would personally try and settle next to a mountain for the Observatory if you want to go for the science victory.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Whats everyone's opinion of settling cities on top of resources?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Rabhadh posted:

Do it, unless you're Indonesia and it's a city that would trigger your UA, then don't do it.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Rabhadh posted:

I'm assuming you are talking about luxury resources.

Pre BNW, it was okay to do it if you wanted to expand quickly. Post BNW, you probably need the gold from these luxury resources since rivers and cost no longer produce gold. So you can settle on a luxury resource if it's really the best spot, but most of the time you'll want to settle next to it so that you don't lose the gold output.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

sarmhan posted:

In BNW he seems to like to poo poo out inappropriate cities too.

This put a funny image in my mind's eye of seeing a bunch of yellow cities renamed by the AI to names like "dickbutt" and "fuckyouhumanlol"

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

KingKapalone posted:

I'm gonna say this isn't a great start. Almost all your jungle has resources on it, meaning you can't put Trading Posts on them. Your food output in general is weak because nearly everything is hills, and you don't seem to have any fresh water access for the farm boost at Civil Service. You simply won't grow as much as most other starts, and you don't have the jungles or adjacent mountain for the midgame science boost.

You can probably still win since it's only Prince, but this start simply doesn't lend itself to anything except cranking out military and taking better cities in my opinion.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Rabhadh posted:

I try to avoid it unless that specific spot will let me grab 2-3 really good resources and would otherwise not be able to comfortable fit more cities.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

isndl posted:

I'm gonna say this isn't a great start. Almost all your jungle has resources on it, meaning you can't put Trading Posts on them. Your food output in general is weak because nearly everything is hills, and you don't seem to have any fresh water access for the farm boost at Civil Service. You simply won't grow as much as most other starts, and you don't have the jungles or adjacent mountain for the midgame science boost.

You can probably still win since it's only Prince, but this start simply doesn't lend itself to anything except cranking out military and taking better cities in my opinion.

What? His food output early is huge. Resources > jungles, hills are great, and its an ocean city with a billion trillion resources. He's going to be rich as gently caress.

He can do science just fine until he gets a real jungle city for his 2nd or 3rd.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

isndl posted:

It takes a certain audacity to look at a city with three tiles with 3 apples unimproved and say 'not enough food.'

Frankly it's better than almost every start i've ever had. I can think of like one or two starts i got better than that and i was stunned when that happened. The biggest problem is prioritizing worker techs.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Rabhadh posted:

I try to avoid it unless something like this happens, which did in my current game:

ooxo
oooo
Coox
oooo
ooxo

Underneath "C" is a hill with a gold lux, the o's are plains, and the x's are plains with wheat on them.

e: There was also some cotton like two tiles to the northwest of the city.

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 25, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Human Crouton posted:

I'm assuming you are talking about luxury resources.

Pre BNW, it was okay to do it if you wanted to expand quickly. Post BNW, you probably need the gold from these luxury resources since rivers and cost no longer produce gold. So you can settle on a luxury resource if it's really the best spot, but most of the time you'll want to settle next to it so that you don't lose the gold output.

It depends, really. For gems, silver, and gold, you don't actually lose out on any gold by settling on them. You just lose out on the hammers you get from a mine, one at the start of the game, two at chemistry. That's a fair tradeoff if the positioning is much better. The way it works is that the city tile is always worth two food and at least one hammer, so grassland, tundra, and desert cities still have one point of production. All other tile yields are preserved. Settling on a hill will get you a 2f2h city. Settling on a luxury will still give you that luxury's gold, just not whatever potential improvement you could add to it. Like on the screenshot I posted earlier this page I moved to the right because the hill city would have been more defensible if it came under attack and it was next to a mountain. It was actually better short-term because the city plot became a 2f2h2g plot right away. The mint also still provided the +2 gold to it. Only resources I would say to never settle on are food resources because you lose their benefit completely by doing so.

edit: Speaking of that game...

I wish I knew who it was who did this so I can pity them. (and it's also really dumb how they probably picked the most worthless tech possible to steal, I have such a commanding tech lead right now)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 25, 2013

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Verviticus posted:

What? His food output early is huge. Resources > jungles, hills are great, and its an ocean city with a billion trillion resources. He's going to be rich as gently caress.

He can do science just fine until he gets a real jungle city for his 2nd or 3rd.

For the Ancient and Classical eras, he's fine. Starting in Medieval where Civil Service farms should be kicking in, he's going to start stalling. Two of those Citruses are sitting on jungle, meaning he loses food (or the science from University) if he puts plantations down. He's got good diversity for trade routes, but it's frankly not a powerhouse science city like he is looking for. It's a good production city, a potentially good trade route city (can't guarantee this without seeing how the rest of the world looks), and if he was really ballsy he could settle on the Deer to be a trade city with Petra, but it's got nothing to make it shine as a science city.

Tulip posted:

It takes a certain audacity to look at a city with three tiles with 3 apples unimproved and say 'not enough food.'

Frankly it's better than almost every start i've ever had. I can think of like one or two starts i got better than that and i was stunned when that happened. The biggest problem is prioritizing worker techs.

I don't look just at resources, I look at potential yields as the game progresses. Citrus has +1 food, but to build a plantation means you have to chop jungle, meaning net loss of food. The only tiles he has that aren't merely food neutral are a Deer, the one forest Citrus, and three jungle tiles that he can't afford to improve as a result. A riverside plains start is better in my opinion.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'll generally always settle on a luxury resource if at all possible for the capital just for the extra gold and so I don't have to waste worker turns improving it down the line (salt would be the only exception I think). Obviously a lot still depends on your particular start.

Incidentally, it's the worst thing when you start next to a really useful wonder (Mt Fuji in my case) but the land around it is so terrible you have no hope of making good use of it.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I mean, it's a really good start. It's not the best start I've ever seen, but it's really, really good for his first game.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

isndl posted:

For the Ancient and Classical eras, he's fine. Starting in Medieval where Civil Service farms should be kicking in, he's going to start stalling. Two of those Citruses are sitting on jungle, meaning he loses food (or the science from University) if he puts plantations down. He's got good diversity for trade routes, but it's frankly not a powerhouse science city like he is looking for. It's a good production city, a potentially good trade route city (can't guarantee this without seeing how the rest of the world looks), and if he was really ballsy he could settle on the Deer to be a trade city with Petra, but it's got nothing to make it shine as a science city.

I don't look just at resources, I look at potential yields as the game progresses. Citrus has +1 food, but to build a plantation means you have to chop jungle, meaning net loss of food. The only tiles he has that aren't merely food neutral are a Deer, the one forest Citrus, and three jungle tiles that he can't afford to improve as a result. A riverside plains start is better in my opinion.

See poo poo like this is why i like Liberty. That site will make a better cap than i almost ever get, and it's still not going to be the sort of thing that single-handedly carries the game by itself.

I wish I knew who it was who did this so I can pity them. (and it's also really dumb how they probably picked the most worthless tech possible to steal, I have such a commanding tech lead right now)

"Guys, guys, you know how wood floats? I figured out a way to use that."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

In BNW, citadels no longer give you access to the luxury they're dropped on. Is this known?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Jedit posted:

In BNW, citadels no longer give you access to the luxury they're dropped on. Is this known?

I thought all great person improvements only gave access to strategic resources, not luxury ones.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Bloody hell, now I'm mad. When i set up the game I checked OCC over Quick Movement. My very first immortal game, spawned on the coast with 2x wheat and 2x gold.

So far in my games I've been afraid of going wide. I tend to build 3-4 cities, and most of the time they aren't all really good;
- Should food be prioritized high or really high on the matter of city placement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Kanfy posted:

I thought all great person improvements only gave access to strategic resources, not luxury ones.

That's correct. That's a measure to prevent you from finding out that there was uranium on that spot you built a citadel and having to remove it. Since all luxury resources are available from turn 1 that's not an issue.

• Locked thread