Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tulip posted:

Here's the WC3 version. I don't know what the starcraft version is like. I hope there's an SC2 version.

Sounds about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

http://www.highper.ch/aoh/index.php
It's great

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Tulip posted:

Here's the WC3 version. I don't know what the starcraft version is like. I hope there's an SC2 version.

Well, that's something :lol:

Loved the three guys, one calling him a hacker, the other saying he'd leave if they told him how to do that, and the one saying he'd have sex with his girlfriend.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Drakenel posted:

You can't throw that out there and not share.

Hi, I made Bruce. She started out as an excuse to get a ship that would never decloak and just flew around dropping mines and debuffs on people, and call it the I.K.S. Hidden Package. I then took her into the main seedy bar social hub, and man, I got so much hate. I unfortunately didn't save any of this, but I do remember having five of the usual skimpily dressed table dancers get off their tables, surround me, and then start subjecting me to all the homo- and transphobic bile they could imagine. I'd also bring her out to crash people trying to pick up chicks for special private bridge zone rp, for predictable low-effort griefs. I received so much hate for very little effort, half the time I would just leave my toon standing at the bar, go afk for half an hour, and come back to pages of hatred.

Of course all these people got reported because man, that sort of hate speech is against the terms of service. Having a manly-looking female Orion named Bruce isn't.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

Tulip posted:

There was a brief thread for sc2 perching in the blizzard games sub forum here on SA. I think its been archived, but I think fishcake was the OP.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The SC2 version of perching runs much the same way, except it takes advantage of Terran's floating buildings so you can do it on basically any map, by flying the buildings into a ground-inaccessible corner and keeping all our massive air armies around them. The flip side is that SC2's mechanics make it more difficult to pull off successfully, since defensive buildings are relatively weaker than WC3's and it takes considerable time to build up the air power necessary.

What we would sometimes do is have a Zerg player build a bunch of Infestors (Zerg caster unit that could move while burrowed) to move invisibly around the map and throw out Infested Terrans (very slow-moving cheap summon with a ranged attack) to harass the enemy's resource gathering attempts and run the Infestors away before the enemy could detect and kill them.

I participated in a couple of perch attempts, but it's been so long that I don't remember any of the rage. Someone with archives will have to help dig that up.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Fudge Handsome posted:

More useful than blowing it up, too. I can imagine the frustration the enemy team must feel when their vehicle hasn't respawned in forever -- meanwhile, it's gathering dust off behind some building on the other side of the map.

There must be some setting that makes this not happen, because whenever I play 1942 with friends if a vehicle is left alone and empty for long enough it self-destructs to stop that kind of grief.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Taciturn Tactician posted:

There must be some setting that makes this not happen, because whenever I play 1942 with friends if a vehicle is left alone and empty for long enough it self-destructs to stop that kind of grief.

Same thing happens in BF2, the timer is so fast it's not worth stashing a jet or helo somewhere as opposed to just ditching it into the sea or a mountain.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Taciturn Tactician posted:

When you start repairing it in BF3, it stops the self-destruction mechanic. Seeing an abandoned helicopter go from smoking to flaming and catching it right before it explodes is a beautiful feeling. It's like snatching a $20 bill from the gutter right before it flows into the storm drain.

Usually you find those abandoned because some idiot sniper used it to get somewhere remote or elevated and then just ditched it. Bonus fun if you get in the chopper and kill the original sniper with the cannons :toot:

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
Well that's just boring and stupid. Boo on those devs.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

canyoneer posted:

Bonus fun if you get in the chopper and kill the original sniper with the cannons :toot:

You're supposed to land on the sniper, not shoot him.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

canyoneer posted:

Usually you find those abandoned because some idiot sniper used it to get somewhere remote or elevated and then just ditched it. Bonus fun if you get in the chopper and kill the original sniper by running him over with his own helicopter. :toot:

FTFY

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

canyoneer posted:

Usually you find those abandoned because some idiot sniper used it to get somewhere remote or elevated and then just ditched it. Bonus fun if you get in the chopper and kill the original sniper with the cannons :toot:

Why do people do this? Are they even a credit to the team when they alone camp on top of a crane or tower far, far from the action? Are they even part of a squad?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Lunethex posted:

Why do people do this? Are they even a credit to the team when they alone camp on top of a crane or tower far, far from the action? Are they even part of a squad?

How else are you supposed to up your KDR? Sure, you might only get two kills and zero deaths in a match, but that just makes the KDR better! :downsgun:

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
This is making me wish shooter games didn't even track kills and deaths in non-deathmatch gametypes. A dev doing that would be griefing the entire FPS community, I'm sure.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
There have definitely been shooters that didn't show your KDR before, and I'm almost positive there's been at least one that eventually caved and added them in due to all the bitching. I couldn't tell you any of the titles, though.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Dick Burglar posted:

There have definitely been shooters that didn't show your KDR before, and I'm almost positive there's been at least one that eventually caved and added them in due to all the bitching. I couldn't tell you any of the titles, though.

I believe Red Orchestra 2 (and maybe 1, it's been too long for me to remember) only shows your kills and score. Of course, this just means people compete over kills as a flat number, instead of a ratio.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've never cared about KDR. I've had people look at my stats and go "You have a terrible kill/death ratio. Mine is so much better." Yeah, but I kill so many more people than you. If you can get in firefights and always win, good on you. But if you kill people by hiding, and end up with a lower score but higher KDR, I honestly don't care. That's why I liked Red Orchestra. It was about kills and score.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I've always wanted one of those classic shooters to track damage given and received, and completely ignore kills and deaths. Has a game ever done that?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Coward posted:

I've always wanted one of those classic shooters to track damage given and received, and completely ignore kills and deaths. Has a game ever done that?

World of Tanks tracks damage and kills, and bases XP and credits earned on damage done rather than kills. There are a few people who still sit in a corner and squawk "MY KD :byodood:" but for the most part people actually do focus more on damaging enemy tanks. Pubbies still go for "easy kills" rather than prioritizing dangerous targets, but pubbies will be pubbies.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

YellerBill posted:

World of Tanks tracks damage and kills, and bases XP and credits earned on damage done rather than kills. There are a few people who still sit in a corner and squawk "MY KD :byodood:" but for the most part people actually do focus more on damaging enemy tanks. Pubbies still go for "easy kills" rather than prioritizing dangerous targets, but pubbies will be pubbies.

But you're still tracking kills, right? And deaths? I just wonder if anything would change in these games if there were no indication of kills or deaths, but damage was tracked.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Coward posted:

But you're still tracking kills, right? And deaths? I just wonder if anything would change in these games if there were no indication of kills or deaths, but damage was tracked.

You do still track kills/deaths but literally no one worth talking to gives a poo poo about KDR. Most pubbies just whine that stats don't matter anyway, because they're dumb poo poo pubbies who can't understand that objective metrics like "I win an extra fifteen percent more of my games than you do" indicates that you play well.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Cojawfee posted:

I've never cared about KDR. I've had people look at my stats and go "You have a terrible kill/death ratio. Mine is so much better." Yeah, but I kill so many more people than you. If you can get in firefights and always win, good on you. But if you kill people by hiding, and end up with a lower score but higher KDR, I honestly don't care. That's why I liked Red Orchestra. It was about kills and score.

I thought RO only tracked score, not anything else? Which was kind of fantastic, it really encouraged people to suicide cap as much as possible. It was also kind of poo poo because you got way way way too many points for giving ammo to machine guns.

That said, one of the most bewildering experiences i have from RO was on Konigsplatz (assaulting Berlin). There's a central objective that's like a small, blasted fort surrounded by terrible cover. The Russians will typically have some control of the outside but you still need to coordinate some sort of assault among whoever gets through a no-mans land of plinking. Well, one time a German guy figured out how to throw 10 lb satchel charges over the top of the wall and have them airburst in the few safe areas the Russians had as staging zones. I was hunting the Tiger with my own 10lb charges on the flanks and doing pretty well, but this guy racked up like 300 something points from exploding half a dozen Russians at a time, and i'd just look over at the center of the map and see body parts flying everywhere. My team was utterly furious about being so thoroughly exploded.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Tulip posted:

I thought RO only tracked score, not anything else? Which was kind of fantastic, it really encouraged people to suicide cap as much as possible. It was also kind of poo poo because you got way way way too many points for giving ammo to machine guns.

That said, one of the most bewildering experiences i have from RO was on Konigsplatz (assaulting Berlin). There's a central objective that's like a small, blasted fort surrounded by terrible cover. The Russians will typically have some control of the outside but you still need to coordinate some sort of assault among whoever gets through a no-mans land of plinking. Well, one time a German guy figured out how to throw 10 lb satchel charges over the top of the wall and have them airburst in the few safe areas the Russians had as staging zones. I was hunting the Tiger with my own 10lb charges on the flanks and doing pretty well, but this guy racked up like 300 something points from exploding half a dozen Russians at a time, and i'd just look over at the center of the map and see body parts flying everywhere. My team was utterly furious about being so thoroughly exploded.

Was his name HoChiMan/HoChiDude? Possibly named an emoticon like ">:D"?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Tulip posted:

I always got auto-banned when playing glorious soviet squad leader on konigsplatz. I remember some guy griefing me (really just being a dick) by charging into my arty repeatedly until I was booted for excessive TKs. I say in voice and type out in chat "Smokes down on east/west side of siegessaule, arty coming down on the opposite side, check your maps and don't run into my arty!" but people still do. This guy just didn't like my arty placement for some reason he was very adamant about. The siegessaule can only be entered from the east and west sides, I arty one of them so germans can't approach and smoke the other so my team can approach, pretty basic stuff. I could put arty coords on the trench right behind the sieg, but germans can just run around it. Or perhaps he wanted me to call arty directly into the sieg; calling a prolonged arty barrage on the objective your team should be capturing is generally a bad idea.

One thing that always amused me about RO was you could tell a sniper was bad when he had a lot of points. No one racks up 200 kills in a 1-round map rotation (except maybe a german tank gunner on kryukovo) but the only way a sniper could manage that many points is by dying way too much and whoring up free machine gun resupply points each time.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Coward posted:

TF2 sort of does that. If you dish out a ton more damage than your record highest for a certain class it'll tell you when you respawn. You can also turn on damage numbers while playing which show you exactly how much damage you deal per hit, as well as hitsounds. TF2 also doesn't count overall kills as a measure of skill. For instance, you could just play medic, keep everyone healed, dish out ubercharges and poo poo, rack up a bunch of kill assists, and you can still top the scoreboard without killing a single person.

But of course playing medic on any pub server without any sort of organized structure is a grief in and of itself.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

By the way, hitsounds, for anyone who doesn't know, are fantastic in TF2. There's even an option to vary the pitch by how much damage was done. So, if you enable that, go pyro, and ambush some guy, your speakers will turn into a slot machine that just won the jackpot. If you go spy and backstab an overhealed heavy, it'll sound like he tumbled face first into the worlds largest gong. I love that option so much.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

By the way, hitsounds, for anyone who doesn't know, are fantastic in TF2. There's even an option to vary the pitch by how much damage was done. So, if you enable that, go pyro, and ambush some guy, your speakers will turn into a slot machine that just won the jackpot. If you go spy and backstab an overhealed heavy, it'll sound like he tumbled face first into the worlds largest gong. I love that option so much.

This guy speaks truth. If you ever manage to get lucky enough to land one crit stickybomb or Loch-n-Load pill on a group of people, your ears will explode from the sound of the RNG deciding in your favor.

And, you can even change the hitsound sound itself. Most people use the standard Q3A sound, but there's other sounds out there that are specifically made for high damage.

E: Kinda like this (skip to 1:20) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnRcX3gHXWY

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 25, 2013

Fuzzyjello
Jan 28, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

One of the reasons why I play Dust 514. Sammus420 found a way to destroy other people's KDRs due to an exploit in the game. Basically you get goons on both teams and then spam kill/resurrect on some random hapless pubbie. If you're lucky, the rage mail is first rate.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Scyantific posted:

TF2 sort of does that. If you dish out a ton more damage than your record highest for a certain class it'll tell you when you respawn. You can also turn on damage numbers while playing which show you exactly how much damage you deal per hit, as well as hitsounds. TF2 also doesn't count overall kills as a measure of skill. For instance, you could just play medic, keep everyone healed, dish out ubercharges and poo poo, rack up a bunch of kill assists, and you can still top the scoreboard without killing a single person.

But of course playing medic on any pub server without any sort of organized structure is a grief in and of itself.
Some pubs in TF2 enable arena MVP scores at the end so you see the top damage/healers on each team; which is even satisfying when losing because everyone sees you did 6,800 damage and the next best player on your team dealt a piddly 800 dmg. Also last night on a pub with arena MVPs enabled I saw a losing team with no MVPs, meaning not a single player earned a point (kills or otherwise) in that round. I thought it was hilarious because none of them could smugly blame the rest of their team, they were all collectively the bottomscorer.

There's a comp version of that same stat madness called Sizzlin' Stats which I finally caved in and put on my server. Basically at the end of the game it shows players a bunch of %'s of what they did compared to the rest of the team so they can cherrypick this or that and satisfy themselves in blaming the rest of their team. Like the roaming solder sees he got only 11% of the heals and had 20% of the kills, clearly he was pulling his weight and the medic wasn't healing him enough! Or the demo sees he did 38% of the total damage but only had 16% of the kills, clearly he was dishing out damage but no one was following him up! Sizzlin' Stats gives everyone a way to believe they actually did really well and it was the rest of their team letting them down.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Fuzzyjello posted:

One of the reasons why I play Dust 514. Sammus420 found a way to destroy other people's KDRs due to an exploit in the game. Basically you get goons on both teams and then spam kill/resurrect on some random hapless pubbie. If you're lucky, the rage mail is first rate.

Resurrecting people is such a wonderful way to harvest rage since you're effectively putting 2 deaths on their scorecard, I got so much grief from reviving people in the middle of firefights in Killzone 2 that I just never stopped playing medic.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...
Does anyone have a link to the post by a Rebel crafting spy in an Imperial base (Star Wars: Galaxies, I think) who pulled off an amazing heist, ending in having a boarding ticket for a leaving shuttle while the pursuing Imperials had to wait impotently in line to get one?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
I think this is it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2886637&pagenumber=248&perpage=40#post404101916

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Lorak posted:

Does anyone have a link to the post by a Rebel crafting spy in an Imperial base (Star Wars: Galaxies, I think) who pulled off an amazing heist, ending in having a boarding ticket for a leaving shuttle while the pursuing Imperials had to wait impotently in line to get one?

Haha, that was me. To clarify, though, the heist in and of itself wasn't that great in that it hurt the Imperials (I'd just stolen surplus), but with how outnumbered the Rebels were it went a long way into letting us actually fight. The rage from the wannabe stormtroopers was a loving riot, though.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...
Thanks for the link.

Coolguye posted:

Haha, that was me. To clarify, though, the heist in and of itself wasn't that great in that it hurt the Imperials (I'd just stolen surplus), but with how outnumbered the Rebels were it went a long way into letting us actually fight. The rage from the wannabe stormtroopers was a loving riot, though.
It wasn't the contents of the theft that I had remembered; it was the planning and against-the-odds aspects that made the story memorable, like something out of a (good) Star Wars piece of fiction.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

njsykora posted:

Resurrecting people is such a wonderful way to harvest rage since you're effectively putting 2 deaths on their scorecard, I got so much grief from reviving people in the middle of firefights in Killzone 2 that I just never stopped playing medic.

Just 2? Try 125. Their K/Ds will take weeks to be fixed.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Sammus posted:

Just 2? Try 125. Their K/Ds will take weeks to be fixed.

Some guy went 377/1. His name is smexy gorillarape, which is oddly fitting.

http://m61.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/countcomptula/IMG_1030.jpg.html

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Yeah but he was doing it in domination with his friend on an alt, like when we farmed orbitals, as opposed to finding some poor, unsuspecting victim and ruining their stats.

Nevz
Aug 13, 2009
I've been a major troll in pretty much all mmo's i've played. I get bored easily and have way too much time on my hands. My first MMO was Ultima Online, that game was amazing and I have endless stories of poo poo I used to do.

UO
I would put boxes in my house to block a path, and using a gate I would lure hundreds of aggresive creatures into my portal, I would then cast a gate spell to the main town yelling that there is a house about to collapse.. people would go through the gate, I would dispel it as soon as they came in and they would instantly get murdered by 100 slimes. Similar to everquest where I would portal people to plane of fear or other hellish places when they ask for an innocent portal to town. :-)

I would also wear ridiculous roleplay costumes,by using a crappy grey horse head to Trinsic where our server's role players hung out. Proceed to befriend and roleplay my rear end off.. once I got trusted enough with the party/guild and their house, murder them all one by one and steal all the poo poo from their house. My reputation in that game was horrific :)

Also dressing like a complete and utter noob, grey robe, horned helmet and wearing a shield.. flagging my self as a criminal for people to attack me, being a good pvper i'd instantly hop onto my ethereal horse chase them down and kill them guaranteed being a mage.. these kind of things were golden in that game which is why I miss it so much :-( RIP ultima...

League of Legends
Playing as Anivia I enjoy blocking my own teammates with a wall and screaming "Oops missclick" , this is hilarious due to how angry people get. I also play as Alistair and keep knocking enemies into teammates, or knocking enemies away.

Nevz fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Nevz posted:

I've been a major troll in pretty much all mmo's i've played. I get bored easily and have way too much time on my hands. My first MMO was Ultima Online, that game was amazing and I have endless stories of poo poo I used to do.

UO
I would put boxes in my house to block a path, and using a gate I would lure hundreds of aggresive creatures into my portal, I would then cast a gate spell to the main town yelling that there is a house about to collapse.. people would go through the gate, I would dispel it as soon as they came in and they would instantly get murdered by 100 slimes. Similar to everquest where I would portal people to plane of fear or other hellish places when they ask for an innocent portal to town. :-)

I would also wear ridiculous roleplay costumes, head to Trinsic where our server's role players hung out. Proceed to befriend and roleplay my rear end off.. once I got trusted enough with the party/guild and their house, murder them all one by one and steal all the poo poo from their house. My reputation in that game was horrific :)

League of Legends
Playing as Anivia I enjoy blocking my own teammates with a wall and screaming "Oops missclick" , this is hilarious due to how angry people get. I also play as Alistair and keep knocking enemies into teammates, or knocking enemies away.

Play as Blitz, pull Alistair into your team so he can slam/headbutt more easily :getin:

• Locked thread