Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

evilalien posted:

You can't just spam that poo poo, you need to wait until the enemy is close enough that the icon above their heads turns red and then you can press RT to engage. I think pressing RT without enemies in range causes them to chase you around which makes it easier to link up a bunch of enemies at once later on.

Well poo poo.

Thanks I'll give that a try

Also just want to say how happy I am that I can skip cutscenes in The Last Remnant as my character just seems horribly unsufferable. I hate him 2 minutes into the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

Get Rufus the skill that causes a body part break on critical hit. (I don't recall the English name but the Japanese one is Body Passage.) There is a weapon you can buy called Blue Gale which always critical hits. This is broken as gently caress. Rufus can basically solo carry you through huge chunks of the Seraphic Gate with this combo.

Eh, you only really get one dungeon to abuse it in before the tougher mobs start being immune to instant death, and it doesn't matter if it's good against trash mobs because they're trash mobs.

Much much more broken is a heavy warrior with bloody patch, dragon rib, steelwing, and a power bangle (replace the steelwing with a second power bangle for bosses). That rips through anything and everything, immune to instant death or not, including bosses, and is available a full 3 dungeons before the Blue Gale is.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
I'm not sure whether or not to post this in the Oblivion thread, but it looks pretty dead since the beginning of the month. Is there anything I should know about Nehrim before I should start? Skills or builds to avoid and whatnot?

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

ImpAtom posted:

Generally go for skills that look good, except for once exception:

Get Rufus the skill that causes a body part break on critical hit. (I don't recall the English name but the Japanese one is Body Passage.) There is a weapon you can buy called Blue Gale which always critical hits. This is broken as gently caress. Rufus can basically solo carry you through huge chunks of the Seraphic Gate with this combo.

Dismantle, and this is not the earliest time you can get it. There's a Einherjar in Serdberg Mountain Ruins, sword user. 30% chance of it being Celes, and she comes with Dismantle. Needless to say, you want her instead of the other guy (Tyrith), as suddenly breaking becomes SO much easier.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Eh, you only really get one dungeon to abuse it in before the tougher mobs start being immune to instant death, and it doesn't matter if it's good against trash mobs because they're trash mobs.

Much much more broken is a heavy warrior with bloody patch, dragon rib, steelwing, and a power bangle (replace the steelwing with a second power bangle for bosses). That rips through anything and everything, immune to instant death or not, including bosses, and is available a full 3 dungeons before the Blue Gale is.

Eh, it's effective on enough things (especially, again, in the Seraphic Gate) that it's amazing just for tearing through mobs. It's also hilarious on the higher tiers of NG+ where it kills enemies faster than anything else. (Admittedly you have to be crazy or download a save to get to the 50* difficulty.)

Dana Crysalis posted:

Dismantle, and this is not the earliest time you can get it. There's a Einherjar in Serdberg Mountain Ruins, sword user. 30% chance of it being Celes, and she comes with Dismantle. Needless to say, you want her instead of the other guy (Tyrith), as suddenly breaking becomes SO much easier.

Oh, Dismantle is great to get at any point. I just mention Rufus because he can equip the Blue Gale which brings Dismantle from Good to loving Amazing.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I just started up SMT IV and I'm getting repeatedly destroyed by random encounters. I've only ever played the SNES SMTs; is there anything I need to approach differently than your average RPG that I'm not aware of? I've had no money since the start because I keep having to pay off the ferryman.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You should just be saving instead of using Charon since you'll just be without money at all times. And you need to be abusing the Press Turn system, if you try to ignore it you basically won't get far at all.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

MockingQuantum posted:

I just started up SMT IV and I'm getting repeatedly destroyed by random encounters. I've only ever played the SNES SMTs; is there anything I need to approach differently than your average RPG that I'm not aware of? I've had no money since the start because I keep having to pay off the ferryman.
Exploiting weaknesses is everything. They don't just do extra damage, they give or take away extra turns as well. It's still a hard game even if you do, but it becomes manageable.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

MockingQuantum posted:

Like people have said before, it's all about exploiting weaknesses. Once you've defeated a demon once, whenever you highlight it to attack it, it will display a symbol that shows if the demon is weak against the element, or if it will drain or repel it. Pay close attention to this: if you hit a demon with an element it is weak against, you will get an extra turn.

Press Turn System in depth:
1. You get 1 full turn for each demon in your party, plus you.
2. Using an attack against an opponent that it is neither weak nor strong against (or against a whole group of opponents that are neither weak nor strong against it) will take 1 turn. Same with moves that affect your party, like healing, or the -kaja spells.
3. Using an attack against an opponent that is weak against the element will only take half a turn, or if you use an attack against a group and even one of them is weak, if will take half a turn. This also applies to getting a critical hit.
4. Using an attack that an opponent can nullify takes two turns. Also, if your attack misses (this does not apply to status attacks that fail to inflict the status), it will take two turns. Same with a group of enemies.
6. If you use an attack that the opponent is able to repel or drain, then all your turns are burned up. Don't do this. This is a bad thing.
5. Related to 4: if you use an attack against a group, and some are weak and some drain/repel/dodge it, then it will still take the worse of the results. If some drain it, all your turns are gone, even if some are weak, for example.
6. This is where strategy comes in: when you've got a half-turn remaining on the queue of turns (looks like a flashing hexagon) and you use a regular attack, it will only consume that flashing hexagon, ie it will only take half a turn. So if you use an attack that the enemy is weak against, and then an attack that it is not weak against, it will only use a single turn total. The ally-affecting spells act the same way.

Okay, despite all this? There's a large element of chance. If the enemy scores a lucky critical strike, or just happens to hit an ally with an element it's weak against, you could be hosed, especially since there's no 'Defence' stat to raise. Even later in the game, fighting enemies that are six or seven levels below me, if I get unlucky I can still lose a demon. Apparently this element of chance is reduced the further you go into the game. Regardless, save often.

Don't keep demons around, except maybe to get their skills from Demon Whisper - fuse them as soon as you can - getting stronger demons is how you survive. Fuse fuse fuse.

Some quests are going to kick your poo poo in when you first encounter them. Welp.

Save often! If I'm not mistaken, this is the first SMT game that lets you save anywhere. The first one in recent memory, anyway.

(edit: You probably know some of these anyway...well, should be helpful for others anyway)

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 26, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Super pro-tip once you get to Mercedes: Unlimited POW potions. Just make a ton of them. So much fun.
I'll have to give this a try because I honestly kind of hate playing as her at the moment. Yes you can fly and fire at a range but she's so slow to respond (such as reacting to get out of the way of attacks) it makes boss battles a real pain in the rear end.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Morpheus posted:

4. Using an attack that an opponent can nullify, drain, or repel takes two turns. Also, if your attack misses (this does not apply to status attacks that fail to inflict the status), it will take two turns. Same with a group of enemies.
5. Related to 4: if you use an attack against a group, and some are weak and some drain/repel/dodge it, then it will still take two turns.

Minor quibble--if you use an attack that the opponent drains or repels it takes ALL of your turns, no matter how many you had left. It only takes two turns if it's nullified.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Genpei Turtle posted:

Minor quibble--if you use an attack that the opponent drains or repels it takes ALL of your turns, no matter how many you had left. It only takes two turns if it's nullified.

Ahh, I guess I've been lucky with that so far then. Thanks for the heads up.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's a great way to bait bosses with an elemental theme and multiple moves into wasting their turn. Drain or Repel spells are usually exhausted after one hit, but because they lose all their turns anyway it doesn't actually matter.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

It's a great way to bait bosses with an elemental theme and multiple moves into wasting their turn. Drain or Repel spells are usually exhausted after one hit, but because they lose all their turns anyway it doesn't actually matter.

Also, it's probably worth noting that while they're basically the same in terms of press turns, Repel is slightly better than Drain. Though it doesn't become a big issue unless you're fighting DLC bosses or (I think) Fiends, any enemy with a Pierce skill will be able to get past Drain but not Repel. So, e.g. if you've got something that has Ice Pierce and casts an ice spell on you, it'll punch right through Ice Resist, Ice Null, or Ice Drain, but still be reflected by Ice Repel.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's balanced out by Drain being slightly safer. If you Repel an attack back onto an enemy that themselves Drain or Repel the element, you will lose all of your turns, too. At least that's how I remember it from DDS, I haven't actually tried yet in SMT 4.

\/\/\/ Good to know.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 26, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

It's balanced out by Drain being slightly safer. If you Repel an attack back onto an enemy that themselves Drain or Repel the element, you will lose all of your turns, too. At least that's how I remember it from DDS, I haven't actually tried yet in SMT 4.

IT doesn't work that way here. There are training missions dedicated to abusing this in fact.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I asked this is the Steam thread, figured I'd check here as well

If you could only choose one would you go with
Shadow Run Returns

or

Jade Empire

I enjoyed paper and pen Shadow run some years ago but I have never played Jade Empire. I've heard rave reviews for it for years and years now and I've been on a KnoTr2 kick so figured maybe it would be a good time to play it finally?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I asked this is the Steam thread, figured I'd check here as well

If you could only choose one would you go with
Shadow Run Returns

or

Jade Empire

I enjoyed paper and pen Shadow run some years ago but I have never played Jade Empire. I've heard rave reviews for it for years and years now and I've been on a KnoTr2 kick so figured maybe it would be a good time to play it finally?

Jade Empire has aged pretty badly. It got some raves when it came out but opinion on it cooled quickly. It's not the worst idea but ends up being pretty meh.

I'd go for Shadowrun Returns.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Jade Empire wasn't even that good when it came out. I don't know what that other game is so maybe just play Ys Oath of Felghana or Ys Origins instead.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
I'm two hours into The Last Story on the Wii and I'm not really "getting it". The music and graphics are good, characters are ok (like the drunk chick) and combat is different I guess. Its just not clicking with me. Am I missing something ? I want to like it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Lots of combat mechanics get added in the more you play, the combat is a lot more involved then it seems at first. I'd stick with it for a while longer at least, it ended up being one of my favorite JRPGs of the generation (I do like it more then some, to be fair.)

Shoot a banana peel at some folks, that's part of what won me over.

e: Sadly, the two worst characters are the main characters. I like all the rest, Syrenne and Lowell especially.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

Cake Attack posted:

Lots of combat mechanics get added in the more you play, the combat is a lot more involved then it seems at first. I'd stick with it for a while longer at least, it ended up being one of my favorite JRPGs of the generation (I do like it more then some, to be fair.)

Shoot a banana peel at some folks, that's part of what won me over.

e: Sadly, the two worst characters are the main characters. I like all the rest, Syrenne and Lowell especially.

I guess I'll stick it out. The last big fight I had was that part where you first learn about dispelling enemies magic circles (where you get trap door'd into that sewer dungeon and fight that big fucker who gets stuck in walls)

It seems most fights so far are me just aiming toward the bad guy and I win. Could it have anything to do with me leveling a bit too much at the first bridge in the game ? (where you can summon enemies repeatedly) I hit level 5 before I left and every encounter has been rather blah.

I really love the music. It just seems cliche and predictable. I haven't sat down and seriously played a console RPG since KOTOR on the original XBOX.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

I guess I'll stick it out. The last big fight I had was that part where you first learn about dispelling enemies magic circles (where you get trap door'd into that sewer dungeon and fight that big fucker who gets stuck in walls)

It seems most fights so far are me just aiming toward the bad guy and I win. Could it have anything to do with me leveling a bit too much at the first bridge in the game ? (where you can summon enemies repeatedly) I hit level 5 before I left and every encounter has been rather blah.

I really love the music. It just seems cliche and predictable. I haven't sat down and seriously played a console RPG since KOTOR on the original XBOX.

Those grinding circles level you pretty fast, yeah. I can't remember the exact order they introduce mechanics in, so I can't say how much more there is to the combat from where you are. It's a pretty short game as far as RPGs so, (like 25 hours?), so if you're still not feeling it after a while you might as well call it quits.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

Cake Attack posted:

Those grinding circles level you pretty fast, yeah. I can't remember the exact order they introduce mechanics in, so I can't say how much more there is to the combat from where you are. It's a pretty short game as far as RPGs so, (like 25 hours?), so if you're still not feeling it after a while you might as well call it quits.

Might be the case. Presentation makes me want to like it. But on another note, any good Wii RPG's to recommend ? Id love an old menu based FF style. I did have a false lead when Gamestop.com told me the local GS in located in my towns "bad area" had a copy of Xenoblade, nope.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

Might be the case. Presentation makes me want to like it. But on another note, any good Wii RPG's to recommend ? Id love an old menu based FF style. I did have a false lead when Gamestop.com told me the local GS in located in my towns "bad area" had a copy of Xenoblade, nope.

There aren't a lot.

Beyond the Project Rainfall games, the only one I can think of you might not have already is Arc Rise Fantasia and I'm not entirely sure that counts as "good." Hilarious maybe but not good.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

There aren't a lot.

Beyond the Project Rainfall games, the only one I can think of you might not have already is Arc Rise Fantasia and I'm not entirely sure that counts as "good." Hilarious maybe but not good.

Arc Rise Fantasia is also now up there in price. So if you're gonna get it, now would be the time, before it's rivaling Xenoblade.

You could also try getting Sakura Wars 5 for the Wii, it's under 20 bucks right now and it's pretty decent. Or you could get Rune factory Frontier.

But yeah not a whole lot of RPGs for the system, you're really only talking like 6 or 7 games maximum that are exclusives.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also keep in mind that Sakura Wars is like 80% dating sim and 20% SRPG. I found it enjoyably goofy, but fair warning.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WendigoJohnson posted:

Arc Rise Fantasia is also now up there in price. So if you're gonna get it, now would be the time, before it's rivaling Xenoblade.

Be warned that Arc Rise Fantasia has one of the worst dubs since the 90's.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Be warned that Arc Rise Fantasia has one of the worst dubs since the 90's.

That is what makes it worth playing. That poo poo is pure comedy gold.

Seriously, the mechanics are so-so and the plot is goofy but "I guess the devil must be beating his wife! :D" makes it all worthwhile.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ImpAtom posted:

That is what makes it worth playing. That poo poo is pure comedy gold.

Seriously, the mechanics are so-so and the plot is goofy but "I guess the devil must be beating his wife! :D" makes it all worthwhile.
Apparently that's an actual expression which I had never heard before, like, a week ago. Talk about synchronicity that I keep seeing it lately.

...and while we're mentioning Wii RPGs, tell me about Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon, with the caveat that I actually enjoyed Eternal Sonata.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Apparently that's an actual expression which I had never heard before, like, a week ago. Talk about synchronicity that I keep seeing it lately.

...and while we're mentioning Wii RPGs, tell me about Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon, with the caveat that I actually enjoyed Eternal Sonata.

It's an actual expression but nobody in the world has ever sounded as happy about it as that character. I don't think anyone has sounded that happy about winning the lottery.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm afraid there aren't any left to discover but are there any good Sci-fi RPGs out there? I'm talking anything from Front Mission style games to cRPGs. I've probably played any of note but it'd be nice to try something new.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Well, maybe not what you are looking for, but mentioned earlier was Opoona, for the Wii. Had never heard of the thing until yesterday. Going to be looking more into it this weekend and might hunt down a copy of the thing.

Silverbolt
Jun 7, 2013

by T. Finninho
I am probably really late to the party but if you want another good rpg that is on VC and emulatable, give Shining in the Darkness a go. A classic dungeon crawler related to the Shining Force universe with a sequel on the Saturn called Shining the Holy Ark I believe. Haven't played that one but I've played SitD extensively. It is legitimately out to kill you every chance it can get if you aren't prepared or careful. It is possible to take down Dark Sol (Mephisto in Japan) at level 40 without the top gear for the hero but it takes a healthy dose of luck in getting critical hits and not getting slammed by the second phase.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Levantine posted:

I'm afraid there aren't any left to discover but are there any good Sci-fi RPGs out there? I'm talking anything from Front Mission style games to cRPGs. I've probably played any of note but it'd be nice to try something new.

2 favorites of mine are Planet's Edge and Worlds of Ultima: Martian Dreams. You could also try Space Rangers 2: Reboot or Space Rangers HD (which will be released shortly). Also Anachronox.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/planets-edge-the-point-of-no-return

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/ultima_worlds_of_adventure_2_martian_dreams

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/anachronox

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Thanks everybody for the SMT IV pointers earlier. Just one more question: how involved do I need to get in cherrypicking my fusions? So far I've just taken recommended fusions when I've been able to (and when they seemed beneficial), but do I need to be actively searching for and pre-planning fusions? I'm not interested in min/maxing, just in being reasonably well equipped to make it through the game.

Also, on an unrelated note, I see Xenoblade and Last Story mentioned in the thread a lot, but does anyone have an opinion on Pandora's Tower? And is there a game with a comparable combat system to Last Story? The idea of the game interests me, but I'm usually not a big fan of the more action-y RPGs of the last couple gens, though I was pretty happy with Final Fantasy XII if there's any comparison.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I think I'm going to start a game of Arcanum. I've played it before and enjoyed it, but didn't get very far into the game for reasons I forget. A couple of questions-

What's a good build for a charismatic technology/firearms guy? Playing around with this- http://www.terra-arcanum.com/arcanum/old/characterbank/WEB_ACP.html I was thinking Miracle Operation, with points in firearms, repair, persuasion, intelligence, charisma.

Any must have mods? I hear there are mods to make playing as a firearms user better, are they necessary?

Goldfinch
Feb 15, 2013

big-boned :colbert:

marktheando posted:

I think I'm going to start a game of Arcanum. I've played it before and enjoyed it, but didn't get very far into the game for reasons I forget. A couple of questions-

What's a good build for a charismatic technology/firearms guy? Playing around with this- http://www.terra-arcanum.com/arcanum/old/characterbank/WEB_ACP.html I was thinking Miracle Operation, with points in firearms, repair, persuasion, intelligence, charisma.

Any must have mods? I hear there are mods to make playing as a firearms user better, are they necessary?

I'd say the unofficial patch is must-have, especially if you're doing firearms. I'm actually playing through right now with pretty much that: Miracle Operation, firearms, persuasion. Being charismatic, you'll be able to have a bunch of companions, so they can pick up the slack combat-wise, too. A small thing to remember: as you get more technological, Virgil's healing spells will stop working on you, but you can give him bandages and he'll use his heal skill on you instead. (Or you could replace him with someone else, but come on! It's Virgil!)

That's the limit of my expertise (I tend to use the mutt to get through fights anyway), but here's the unofficial patch link for convenience: http://terra-arcanum.com/drog/dest/uap.html

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Thanks everybody for the SMT IV pointers earlier. Just one more question: how involved do I need to get in cherrypicking my fusions? So far I've just taken recommended fusions when I've been able to (and when they seemed beneficial), but do I need to be actively searching for and pre-planning fusions? I'm not interested in min/maxing, just in being reasonably well equipped to make it through the game.
Generally, you only need fusions for keep demon levels up to speed with enemies, since demons basically level very slowly. So fusions with sacrifices can be pretty essential in keeping pace, if not simply saving you a lot of trouble by unlocking more skills on a given demon without needing to grind everything up, or gently caress around with skill transfers (since not every demon can inherit every skill and not every skill will you want demon's to inherit).

Having said that, because of the nature of press-turns, fusing the right demon(s) can make all the difference in the world with some boss fights. Usually the "right" demons to have along are no more difficult to come across than simply recruiting demons that are readily available in the area, based on element resist/attacks. Every now and again you will encounter something hugely loving painful, however, and you will want to take a step back and try checking out all of the potential fusions and which of this will get you the best results for the current boss that may be stone walling you. That may even including going back a zone and recruiting/fusing everything available from there, but these times are often few and far between. Instead, just recruiting what you find and picking/choosing from what's available so you get the right mix of skills across the entire party is sufficient, rather than fusing up a single strong-counter demon to the current roadblock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Goldfinch posted:

I'd say the unofficial patch is must-have, especially if you're doing firearms. I'm actually playing through right now with pretty much that: Miracle Operation, firearms, persuasion. Being charismatic, you'll be able to have a bunch of companions, so they can pick up the slack combat-wise, too. A small thing to remember: as you get more technological, Virgil's healing spells will stop working on you, but you can give him bandages and he'll use his heal skill on you instead. (Or you could replace him with someone else, but come on! It's Virgil!)

That's the limit of my expertise (I tend to use the mutt to get through fights anyway), but here's the unofficial patch link for convenience: http://terra-arcanum.com/drog/dest/uap.html

Nice, thanks.