Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Me in Reverse posted:

That was in reply to his "Says the guy who got a membership" comment. "First email in" is basically a raffle, FWIW.

Again, CCB explicitly said they'd revoke multiple memberships, and we've got a goon-friend insider. Snitch on them.

Snitching ain't cool, but even if it were, its technically on the "up and up" by using a spouse or siblings name who then designate them as a trustee. There is no way to prove it, but all the work was done by individual using one of or both the in person and on-line systems.

Also, like I said, its not just this most recent thing. The distributors have for some reason cut off the flow of Jai Alai to south Florida. Lots of people thought they stopped making it for some reason, and CCB even addressed these rumors. Turns out the distributors just want to send it elsewhere for whatever reason. Its fan-boys, distributors, and whoever else that are keeping anything CCB other than the occasional batch to reach South Florida.

swickles fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Snitching is just fine when people are abusing things like this. You could have had one of that guy's memberships if he wasn't a shithead. It's in direct violation of CCB's rules, even though he's 'found a loophole'.. lovely behavior shouldn't be allowed.

swickles posted:

Also, like I said, its not just this most recent thing. The distributors have for some reason cut off the flow of Jai Alai to south Florida. Lots of people thought they stopped making it for some reason, and CCB even addressed these rumors. Turns out the distributors just want to send it elsewhere for whatever reason. Its fan-boys, distributors, and whoever else that are keeping anything CCB other than the occasional batch to reach South Florida.

Fair complaint. I wonder if GirlKisser has any commentary on that? I doubt CCB can really control distributors.

EDIT: Adult men acting like this over a beer club :negative:

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 27, 2013

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I will be in Ft Collins with some friends tomorrow. Will be at Grimm Bros around noon, then into the city proper. Got two spare NB tix for 4pm. PM me or whatever whenever

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Let's address a few things

Multiple memberships: people have mules, wives, grandmothers and who knows what else to find a way to get another de facto membership. There's really no way to prevent that. So some old lady wants a membership, do we tell her no?

Jai Alai: we just installed 4 new 120bbl fermentors this week and they are being filled with Jai Alai as we speak. We brewed more Jai Alai this week than ever; over half of the total barrels we brewed in our entire first year (in one week on ONE beer!!!). Basically: we realized some markets were getting shorted, and we figured it out. 6 more 120bbl fermentors are on their way, too.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Let's address a few things

Multiple memberships: people have mules, wives, grandmothers and who knows what else to find a way to get another de facto membership. There's really no way to prevent that. So some old lady wants a membership, do we tell her no?

Jai Alai: we just installed 4 new 120bbl fermentors this week and they are being filled with Jai Alai as we speak. We brewed more Jai Alai this week than ever; over half of the total barrels we brewed in our entire first year (in one week on ONE beer!!!). Basically: we realized some markets were getting shorted, and we figured it out. 6 more 120bbl fermentors are on their way, too.

I love you. Let me know where you guys are registered. (For real).

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

:catstare: That's seriously awesome.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
The entire thing is silly as gently caress but its alternative is equally silly if not moreso. I hate the idea of these clubs/societies because they just further the "beer as commodity" mentality but as someone who has driven two hours to CCB only to literally be the first person in line to not get bottles of Double Barrel Zhukov it's even worse when you feel like a four hour trip plus a one hour or longer stand in line was completely pointless. People bringing their entire family along to get five bottles of everything is dumb as gently caress and I really wish there were some way around it but right now I don't know that there is.

The entire whale hunt thing these days is loving idiotic and it was idiotic four years ago when I first became interested in this stuff and had to drive to Orlando to find Zhukov. Everyone is looking for their CCB, be it Hill Farmstead or Ale Apothecary or Toppling Goliath or Crooked Stave or whoever, some fancy dudes that put stouts/sours in barrels and make tiny batches to create further hype. I'm sure all of these places make good or even great beer, but god is it loving tiring hearing about the fortieth brewery to have a new saison/citra ipa/maple stout that just so happens to be a limited release with 4.6 average score on RB.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

I'll be curious to see how the Catador beers trade, as that is my only hope to get them.

In other beer news that will also generate a lot of grown men posting things like "gay" on a brewery's Facebook page, Lost Abbey Duck Duck Gooze will be released Labor Day weekend.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I am ambivalent on the idears of beer clubs in general, but part of that is because when it comes to beer, I'm at the point where I prefer just drinking what's local at the bar and trying out the crazy high-level stuff at the next bottle share. I only have one liver after all, I'd like it to hold out for the duration.

Speaking of, here's the lineup at the Crow's Feet tonight

Pfriem can do literally no wrong in my book; that schwarz is a work of art. First time I had Saison Dupont on tap too, works well for this 97° day.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
I think the whole hunting whales and all that other stuff is stupid, so I just don't bother with it. There's literally tons of amazing beers you can readily buy, be happy with the already available and ever increasing amounts of great beer out there. Then when you randomly run across some Kentucky Breakfast Stout or whatever buy it and enjoy that you found something hard to find and didn't spend all day chasing a truck or standing for hours in line to get a freaking beer.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

swickles posted:

As much as I love cigar city, and I am not placing any blame on them, its almost not worth it anymore. The distributors have essentially halted all flow of Jai Alai and seemingly halved Maduro and the rest to south Florida. I used to be able to go to Total Wine or a grocery store and get a 6 pack. Now, I either have to chase a truck for the 2 cases that come, or organize a trade for it..which is every bit as ridiculous as it sounds. Combined with sending a timestamped e-mail at 8:00 and 6 seconds and not getting in, its just insane that living in South Florida, Cigar City might as well be in loving Michigan the way people treat it. I already know of several people who have multiple Catador memberships and its that culture and the desire to trade for whales is why I hate (not dislike, but actively hate) beer culture. Its all about gently caress you, got mine and not about sharing. There is literally no system that isn't gamed, taken advantage of, or loophole free. The biggest problem is that it works for these people and just encourages others, to just say gently caress it and take part of the whole thing.

I have no "founders" membership in any other club, I even passed up a Funky Buddha one because while they were good, I was holding out for Cigar City to do the same. They are by far my favorite brewery, and am incredibly proud to call them a Florida brewery, but the hype and attitude by an admittedly small, but growing, percentage is literally making me say gently caress it and finding a new hobby.

Go to local tastings, get a chance to try most local releases, even the ones up in Tampa.

Kudosx posted:

Says the guy who got a membership.

Seriously though, certain aspects of beer culture does suck. Like what Swickles pointed out, people hoarding beer, etc. What doesn't suck though is being able to talk to complete strangers at a bar about something that both of you love. I've met so many who I would have never met if I wasn't into beer like I am, and for that I'm thankful.

Like Lagunitas says... beer speaks, people mumble.

Beer nerds are very generous, you just have to get involved with the locals and you'll get a chance to try 99% of releases.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Zam posted:

I'll be curious to see how the Catador beers trade, as that is my only hope to get them.

ha, don't think you'll have too much trouble

SUPER HASSLER posted:

when it comes to beer, I'm at the point where I prefer just drinking what's local at the bar and trying out the crazy high-level stuff at the next bottle share.

...says the guy who lives in Bend

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I love CCB and enjoyed my time there. But this poo poo is ridiculous. Drink beer. Drink a lot of it. But don't get lovely when you miss out on something. It's almost certainly not worth your time. Travel and drink local.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Go to local tastings, get a chance to try most local releases, even the ones up in Tampa.

Beer nerds are very generous, you just have to get involved with the locals and you'll get a chance to try 99% of releases.

Oh what the hell now I have to talk to a whole bunch of people to get the beer I want??

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

funkybottoms posted:

...says the guy who lives in Bend

Hey I may drink Boneyard IPA like it's Coors Light, but even I need a break now and again

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I'm going to Baltimore in a few days. Planning to stop at State Line Liquors, DuClaw (Bel Aire), Brewer's Art, Max's and Of Love and Regret. The best thing is that I found out there's a bus that runs right to the inner harbor area outside of my hotel. No need to be conservative with my drinking now!

Edit: drat, Smuttynose Robust Porter is great.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 27, 2013

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Just cracked open the Hoptimum 2013. I know it's 10.40% but I thought that they would be able to hide it a bit more. It's a great beer but very boozy and syrupy. I also thought that it would be a lot more hoppy then it is. It's a very good beer but I'm glad that I got the gumballhead (tied for my favorite beer with two hearted) to offset it.

The store I was at also had Founders Rübæus which I'm a bit bummed that I didn't pick up as raspberries are my favorite fruit.

Thinking of cracking open the Central Coast Brewhouse Coffee Stout for breakfast tomorrow.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 27, 2013

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!

Midorka posted:

I'm going to Baltimore in a few days. Planning to stop at State Line Liquors, DuClaw (Bel Aire), Brewer's Art, Max's and Of Love and Regret. The best thing is that I found out there's a bus that runs right to the inner harbor area outside of my hotel. No need to be conservative with my drinking now!

Edit: drat, Smuttynose Robust Porter is great.

Combine trip to DuClaw and State Line. Both off of 95 North/East. For bottle shops in MD, I kinda prefer Ye Old Spirt Shop in Frederick if you don't mind driving to the other side of the state. It's about the same distance from Baltimore as State Line. You could hit up Flying Dog while out there. I used to live about a mile from there and never bothered to tour. Silly me...

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

beetlo posted:

Combine trip to DuClaw and State Line. Both off of 95 North/East. For bottle shops in MD, I kinda prefer Ye Old Spirt Shop in Frederick if you don't mind driving to the other side of the state. It's about the same distance from Baltimore as State Line. You could hit up Flying Dog while out there. I used to live about a mile from there and never bothered to tour. Silly me...

Flying Dog isn't open on Monday's, but today, by a stroke of luck, the Heavy Seas sales rep for the area stopped in my store and I mentioned that I was going to Baltimore and was disappointed that the brewery was closed. He's setting me and my girlfriend up with a private tour and tasting, I'm super excited. Heavy Seas doesn't put out anything really outstanding rather a bunch of decent stuff, but I'm excited.

My plan for my 2 days there goes like this: State Line to DuClaw, after there I'm going to Heavy Seas then checking into my hotel, though the sales guy says there's a small liquor store right next to the brewery that has a great selection. I am then taking the bus to Brewer's Art and will be eating dinner there then going to Max's to finish getting drunk. The next day we're going to the aquarium and then Of Love and Regret.

I'm very excited honestly. There's a lot of beer we don't get in NJ and the brewpubs, which were suggested here, all seem top notch!

I just opened a W00t Stout, man this is like drinking a caramel syrup drenched butter pecan ice cream bowl. Maybe it'll open up in a few months.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 27, 2013

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Me in Reverse posted:

Snitching is just fine when people are abusing things like this. You could have had one of that guy's memberships if he wasn't a shithead. It's in direct violation of CCB's rules, even though he's 'found a loophole'.. lovely behavior shouldn't be allowed.

Just...buy beer from a different brewery, there's loads of them.

Glad we don't have this kind of attitude in the UK (admittedly the 'craft' beer scene has been around here a ways longer, with all the real ale fuds.)

edit: Admittedly I did travel to Bruges, in part, to drink a Westvleteren 12

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 27, 2013

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I'm going to a friend's wife's family's lakehouse to do lake-associated things.

Turns out her family is strictly religious and it's a dry house :unsmith:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The gently caress kind of lakehouse doesn't have beers for the summer :smith: At least you'll get to swim

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The only choice is canoflage.

And on the topic of CCB, I'm not angry about it, just bummed I didn't get in. Knowing that you got over 900 emails in the first minute makes me feel a bit better though. I'd guess that the number of people who hit send right at 8pm was probably closer to 1500-2000 and external factors like mail server latency caused them to show up later. At that point it's basically a raffle anyway since the winners were determined by factors outside of anyone's control.

A lot of people on Facebook are really upset though. People are big whiny babies.

But I guess everyone at CCB is probably stoked that there was so much interest. Good for you guys.

edit - I guess I'll just have to drown my sorrows with all of this second rate beer from Tired Hands and this awful tap list

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 27, 2013

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Josh Wow posted:

I think the whole hunting whales and all that other stuff is stupid, so I just don't bother with it. There's literally tons of amazing beers you can readily buy, be happy with the already available and ever increasing amounts of great beer out there. Then when you randomly run across some Kentucky Breakfast Stout or whatever buy it and enjoy that you found something hard to find and didn't spend all day chasing a truck or standing for hours in line to get a freaking beer.

100% agree with this. The amount of great beer on the market today is unprecedented, and I'm content with having access to as many excellent beers as I do. I don't trade and I don't go out of my way for special releases, but through the generosity of the beer enthusiast community and the network of brewers I know, I've gotten to try virtually everything I've been interested in. And if I don't get to try something, I go "aw dammit" for a bit and move on to something else. I have no desire to frustrate myself playing Beer Pokemon when I can simply enjoy the amazing glut of stuff I can already get easily.

I enjoy sharing good beer far more than I do acquiring it, and it saddens me that a prominent and growing minority of the beer enthusiast community is made up of privileged "gently caress you got mine" greedy assholes. It's an ugly fact that the majority of the craft beer community is made up of middle-to-upper-class white guys, many of whom put the full weight of their sense of entitlement upon the hobby. The beer-as-commodity mentality misses the real joy of sharing good beer with good people, and it deprives a lot of more generous people of that kind of joy. I once had somebody get angry with me because I couldn't get him a full case of Bourbon County Cherry Rye on the house, even though I couldn't get so much as a bottle for myself, and I helped work on the drat beer. It's fine if you want to get access to the good stuff - we all do! - but if you're hoarding it instead of sharing it, taking way more than your share, and depriving others of the opportunity to taste and share it, you're an rear end in a top hat and deserve all the poo poo you get.

Basically, appreciate the good beer already within reach, share the good stuff with friends, and don't be a greedy dick.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Last night had a wine-barrel-aged Prairie Noir. This is the third sour stout/dark sour beer that I've tried, along with JP Madrugada Obscura and CIB Morningwood. Ranking them was pretty easy, with JP on top followed by Noir and then CIB. It's not a style I particularly prefer, but it's interesting how each brewery balances the tartness with the roastiness. JP was by far the most tart and balanced, while CIB, though not a bad beer overall, was just a jumble of flavors that didn't really assert themselves. WBA Noir was a smooth middle-ground. Anyone have any other suggestions within this style?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Ubik posted:

100% agree with this. The amount of great beer on the market today is unprecedented, and I'm content with having access to as many excellent beers as I do. I don't trade and I don't go out of my way for special releases, but through the generosity of the beer enthusiast community and the network of brewers I know, I've gotten to try virtually everything I've been interested in. And if I don't get to try something, I go "aw dammit" for a bit and move on to something else. I have no desire to frustrate myself playing Beer Pokemon when I can simply enjoy the amazing glut of stuff I can already get easily.

I enjoy sharing good beer far more than I do acquiring it, and it saddens me that a prominent and growing minority of the beer enthusiast community is made up of privileged "gently caress you got mine" greedy assholes. It's an ugly fact that the majority of the craft beer community is made up of middle-to-upper-class white guys, many of whom put the full weight of their sense of entitlement upon the hobby. The beer-as-commodity mentality misses the real joy of sharing good beer with good people, and it deprives a lot of more generous people of that kind of joy. I once had somebody get angry with me because I couldn't get him a full case of Bourbon County Cherry Rye on the house, even though I couldn't get so much as a bottle for myself, and I helped work on the drat beer. It's fine if you want to get access to the good stuff - we all do! - but if you're hoarding it instead of sharing it, taking way more than your share, and depriving others of the opportunity to taste and share it, you're an rear end in a top hat and deserve all the poo poo you get.

Basically, appreciate the good beer already within reach, share the good stuff with friends, and don't be a greedy dick.

Yeah, this does a really good job of capturing how I feel about the whole thing as well. If you're going to put in a lot of time and money and make beer a Hobby, it's much better to get really involved with the local beer geek community and participate through generosity and not through greed.

Plus the other thing is that beer as a hobby shouldn't every be dominated by one particular event. I really like to ski and my job makes it so that I can take quite a few days off with no notice during the winter to catch powder days. The fact is that I still find satisfaction from skiing overall because I get to ski a lot of pow, not that I caught every day with more than 6" of fresh snow, and missing a particular day might be a bummer when I get texts from friends or stuff shows up on Facebook about how awesome that day was, but it's not going to keep me feeling down because it's just one point in a whole set of great experiences. And I guess I have the same attitude towards beer. I will grab a whale or otherwise limited/rare beer if I can and they're usually great, but the rest of the good beer I drink is what makes beer something I can be passionate about.

Not that I won't bitterpost if I don't get GABF tickets this year.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

I agree that it is ridiculous what lengths have to be gone to in order to get sought after beers. I did a lot to try and track down KBS and Parabola this year because both sounded amazing and the odds of just stumbling into them in the Chicago suburbs is slim to none. I must have called every store within half an hour of me when Parabola came out and still came up empty. Luckily, I have a friend at Binny's who tipped me off when they got it in stock. I brought my girlfriend and got 2 bottles so I'd have one to age and one to open. It is unfortunate how difficult it is to get these limited releases but I want to try them and if calling places and driving all over town like a madman is what I have to do then I'm going to do it.

That said, I'm not the sort of person who just hordes tons of beers. I go after rare ones when I can and hold onto them until I get a good opportunity to share them with friends who would appreciate them. I have a few real beer geek friends but most aren't too into tracking down the limited stuff so if I don't do it chances are I wouldn't get to try it. It'd be nice to be in Ubik's situation and be a brewer with lots of beer enthusiast friends but I'm not so if I want to try special releases it's hunt, trade or do without. I do a lot of trading but it is pretty expensive. I think I need to start making more beer friends...

Me in Reverse posted:

I'm going to a friend's wife's family's lakehouse to do lake-associated things.

Turns out her family is strictly religious and it's a dry house :unsmith:

That is a crime against lake houses.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

swickles posted:

I've noticed that, it's really bizarre. I haven't seen Jai Alai in months, but it's even been easier for me to reliably find their monthly 750ml releases than any of their 6-packs.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
My area just got in some Ballast Point stuff for the first time in forever and they're selling 6 packs of Big Eye for $16.99, which they claim is what the distributor was charging them for it (and I believe them). That's not the right price, right?

The crazy part is the Sculpin and Big Eye bombers are reasonably priced at $8.99 and $5.99, respectively.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

RiggenBlaque posted:

My area just got in some Ballast Point stuff for the first time in forever and they're selling 6 packs of Big Eye for $16.99, which they claim is what the distributor was charging them for it (and I believe them). That's not the right price, right?

sounds like maybe they got Sculpin and Big Eye confused

Garregus
Aug 10, 2002
Big Eye is only about 12% less than Sculpin, wholesale, in VA. That is pretty silly though.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Harminoff posted:

Also, is founders devil dancer something amazing?

Not really, no.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Harminoff posted:

Also, is founders devil dancer something amazing? They had that as well but was $6 a bottle.

No. It's a boozy onion bomb. It's only marginally more drinkable than Dogfish Head 120 (which I maintain is the worst craft beer I've ever had).

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

LeafHouse posted:

I had a keg of that root beer beer at my birthday and it will get a ton of people way drunker than they expect even if you warn them ahead of time. Next time I'll have to get a keg of the 20%...

I heard they are not going to make the 20% any more. Does anyone have concrete info on this? I heard it from a distributor here in Chicago

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Ubik posted:

I once had somebody get angry with me because I couldn't get him a full case of Bourbon County Cherry Rye on the house, even though I couldn't get so much as a bottle for myself, and I helped work on the drat beer. It's fine if you want to get access to the good stuff - we all do! - but if you're hoarding it instead of sharing it, taking way more than your share, and depriving others of the opportunity to taste and share it, you're an rear end in a top hat and deserve all the poo poo you get.

ABI/Goose Island really doesn't give their employees a chance to get some bottles of the more limited offerings? I guess that's the disadvantage of working for a bigger company - there are plenty of brewers trading their own beers - Perennial, Toppling Goliath, Hill Farmstead and CCB come to mind.

It's easy to see why brewers don't bother getting into the trading game - I'm sure they have tons of beer nerds offering to open or give them bottles when they come to the brewery.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Good news! Was at Crooked Stave today with some friends and ended up talking to the brewer manning the bar since the place was basically deserted. Actually got an impromptu tour which was very cool. But returning to where I was originally going, they are open on Tuesday until 8! Also not only do they distro CA, they also have some distro in NY. And finally they will be open in The Source near the beginning of September. So when I am looking for apartments I will definitely consider how far I have to stumble over there.

So Kudosx, you might be in luck depending on when you get here!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Nice! Sorry I flaked out on meeting up with you yesterday. Friday night I was up way too late drinking way too much, then had to get up at 7 to help the same assholes I was drinking with move. After that the mere thought of being around booze made me want to die. Hope the Fort did you right, have anything especially good?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Docjowles posted:

Nice! Sorry I flaked out on meeting up with you yesterday. Friday night I was up way too late drinking way too much, then had to get up at 7 to help the same assholes I was drinking with move. After that the mere thought of being around booze made me want to die. Hope the Fort did you right, have anything especially good?

No worries, I definitely get it. We had a pretty great evening, the Fort definitely delivered. Grimm's Berliner Weiss was very solid, a bit more delicate than previous ones I've drank. Grimm's was just cool overall actually. The New Belgium tour was very impressive even though they started it off with a pour of Paardebloem. That facility is really fascinating and they were very, very generous with the samples. The coolest part I think was having the dark lager they call Felix before having La Folie, what Felix turns into after souring. Odell wasn't quite as impressive, mostly because I've basically had all their stuff at this point and there wasn't anything new there, but both have really nice taproom areas.

Funkwerks was superb as usual. It was the first time I've had their white and I was unexpectedly delighted by their use of spices. They came through strong but were well-balanced and not overpowering and it was I guess Funkwerks just being very good at what they do per usual. Also their saison with Asian tea is very solid as well.

We made it down to the Mayor around 9 or so and that's where things start to get very hazy. I'd have to check Untappd to see what exactly I was drinking, but I don't think I had anything particularly outstanding because at that point I know I was basically just looking to coast. Did have some exceptionally lovely poutine though. Either way, excellent night.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Any Chicagoans headed to Clybourn for the Goose Island Cthulhu release today? I was debating leaving the office at lunch to see if I can grab a bottle, but BA is making it sound like it will be a huge-rear end line and will sell out by noon.

Edit:
More Chicago beer news:

Pipeworks just tweeted a pic of Citra Ninja getting boxed up, so expect that to hit the usual spots soon!

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

umop apisdn
May 22, 2003
upside down
My friend said he got there at 11 and he was only the 50th person in line. Monday releases are good like that.