Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'll be damned, my 2012 doesn't and I could have sworn it did.
I'm just about to update to 4.3 and I would have put money on it doing that but nope, it's the fade effect. Nexus 10 also does the fade, but Nexus 4 has the CRT animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Why would you RMA it when you are in the exchange period.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Why would you RMA it when you are in the exchange period.

There are a lot of places now a days that don't take back devices for a single dead pixel.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I'd like to thank the Best Buy about 30 miles from me for forgetting what the hell the street date was supposed to be :catdrugs:

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Anyone know if this keyboard dock would work well with the new Nexus 7? Any similar/better ones you guys might recommend?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Wangsbig posted:

Anyone know if this keyboard dock would work well with the new Nexus 7? Any similar/better ones you guys might recommend?
That seems to be a form-fitting case made for last year's model. Since the newer one is thinner and skinnier it would likely flop around. I'm sure new ones will be out soon.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I went to Best Buy today and they refused to sell it. Said I had to order it online and pick that store for pickup. Might just do that tomorrow.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

ThermoPhysical posted:

There are a lot of places now a days that don't take back devices for a single dead pixel.

I don't know a single retail store without at least a 14 day return policy.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Just got the new nexus 7.while I haven't had time to set it up and actually do anything with it I really unlike it. It's easier to hold than last year's model and the higher resolution is really good since I do a lot of reading laying in my bed with it right in front if my face. The build quality seems improved as well.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha
Just picked up my 32GB version from Walmart earlier today. It's pretty awesome.

One thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to get it to be properly recognized in windows 8 pro (64 bit). Works fine on my macbook using the downloaded filetransfer software, but windows is a no-go. The windows jingle fires off as usual when I plug it in, but in device manager it's listed as "nexus 7" with a yellow exclamation mark. The older drivers from Asus's website won't take either.

I've also tried removing the device and refreshing to do a rescan, unplugging and replugging, rebooting, nothing seems to work.

Anyone run into this problem or am I SOL until a solution is posted?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Turns out my Bestbuy did have them in stock, and as this is my first tablet I'm really enjoying it. I love the screen and the speaker quality seems pretty great.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.
Anyone else use 1password? For some reason my new 7 is only syncing one password I created today (for best buy). Phone and laptop still see them all. Makes it hard to configure this drat beautiful thing. I've uninstalled and using cleared data already. Using Dropbox.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

I don't know a single retail store without at least a 14 day return policy.

Same, except I don't know any store around here that will deal with a single dead pixel.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
If you're within the return policy they have to take it back.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Same, except I don't know any store around here that will deal with a single dead pixel.

But don't most of them have a restocking fee if it's open? Maybe that's what he doesn't want to deal with.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Most major retailers got rid of restocking fees.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Schmoli posted:

But don't most of them have a restocking fee if it's open? Maybe that's what he doesn't want to deal with.

No, most places replace the item free.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Ah never mind

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Schmoli posted:

Anyone else use 1password? For some reason my new 7 is only syncing one password I created today (for best buy).
Working at intended. :smug:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

1st AD posted:

If you're within the return policy they have to take it back.

Maybe it's just crappy stores around here, but I've been outright denied because it's just one dead pixel at places like Nebraska Furniture Mart (not just a furniture store...just the name :v:) and even Best Buy at times.

I need to be more assertive in stores, I guess. :(

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah unless the device is damaged or beyond the return policy they can't deny you a return and refund. I'm talking about Best Buy here, maybe your random retailer in Nebraska has some lovely return policies.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
So, got my OTA for 4.3 for my 2012 Nexus 7. Bricked it. Stuck on the X at bootup. Any advice? Stock device.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Power off, get into the bootloader, restore the factory image?

Or does the OTA delete the old image? I can't remember.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
For the guys who were worried about the new N7's specs, according to Anandtech's 6-page "Mini-Review" its actually running Qualcomm’s APQ8064–1AA which has 4 x Krait 300 CPUs + DDR3 RAM, making it a step above the Nexus 4 (which had 4 x Krait 200 CPUs + DDR2 RAM). It's essentially a Snapdragon 600 clocked 200mhz lower.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

My Nexus 4 is lightning fast. Does the Nexus 7 support GLONASS? You can tell this by using GPS Test. I think the GLONASS satellites have higher numbers or a different symbol or something.

Anandtech says it has GLONASS

quote:

There’s also GNSS (GPS+GLONASS) on the WiFi only model which I tested, this goes through WCN3660 and into the baseband on APQ8064 in this configuration I believe. I’ve had nothing but great success with Qualcomm’s GNSS being the fastest out there to 3D cold fix, that holds true with the Nexus 7 (2013), even walking around the urban canyon scenario that San Francisco poses to GNSS.

LINK

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Glad to see proper trim support in 4.3. Hopefully that will stop things crawling along. Gonna install in on my old Nexus 7 to see if things improve.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Will this trim support thing going to affect just the original Nexus 7, or all tablets that get 4.3?

The 4.3 update has been announced for my TF300, according to XDA, and the sluggishness of my tablet has been starting to annoy me. I'm hoping that this (plus the improved battery life) breathes some new life into my tablet. If not I suppose I'll just sell this and buy the new Nexus 7.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

1st AD posted:

Power off, get into the bootloader, restore the factory image?

Or does the OTA delete the old image? I can't remember.

No choice to restore image in the bootloader. Even if it wipes, that's no issue.

Did the factory reset, wiped data, still won't get past the X.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 27, 2013

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

torgeaux posted:

No choice to restore image in the bootloader. Even if it wipes, that's no issue.

Did the factory reset, wiped data, still won't get past the X.

By restore the factory image he means fastboot.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

jiffynuts posted:

One thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to get it to be properly recognized in windows 8 pro (64 bit). Works fine on my macbook using the downloaded filetransfer software, but windows is a no-go. The windows jingle fires off as usual when I plug it in, but in device manager it's listed as "nexus 7" with a yellow exclamation mark. The older drivers from Asus's website won't take either.

I've also tried removing the device and refreshing to do a rescan, unplugging and replugging, rebooting, nothing seems to work.

Anyone run into this problem or am I SOL until a solution is posted?

After over 6 hours of reading and installing old nexus, asus, and google universal drivers, I've come to the conclusion that its windows 8. Works on my MacBook and on my dad's windows 7 box, but win 8 is a no go. (Mtp or the other protocol)

I think I will have to wait until asus posts a proper USB driver on their website.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jiffynuts posted:

I think I will have to wait until asus posts a proper USB driver on their website.
Have you tried the one from the Android SDK?

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.
Not super comforting, my charger that came with the nexus already took a poo poo. I only have about ten of them but still it i. Great now my keyboard has locked up and I have to finish this post by voice typing.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I was contemplating buying the new nexus 7, but I got the ota update for 4.3 on my original nexus 7, and it runs much faster and snappier now. Probably going to at least wait until there is a price drop for the new nexus 7 before I pick it up.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Optimus Subprime posted:

I was contemplating buying the new nexus 7, but I got the ota update for 4.3 on my original nexus 7, and it runs much faster and snappier now. Probably going to at least wait until there is a price drop for the new nexus 7 before I pick it up.

FYI, this is because they included trim support in 4.3

I'll probably hold off on getting it myself, until i see more comprehensive reviews at least.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So not that it matters as its gimmicky on a tablet, but there is no Google Wallet for the N7 2013, right? Don't know why that would be but its not coming up in the app store.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
4.3 definitely sped up my N7 2012 but this new one still blows it out of the water in a big way. It changes orientation fast enough that the orientation lock in the toggles is actually useful.

Now to find a good case.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hotsauce posted:

So not that it matters as its gimmicky on a tablet, but there is no Google Wallet for the N7 2013, right? Don't know why that would be but its not coming up in the app store.
I'm guessing they need to change the app listing in the play store to include the new 7. I really doubt its incompatible in the long run, just typical Google oversight.

Crap, quote isn't edit.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Optimus Subprime posted:

I wouldn't expect a price drop until 2 weeks before the next nexus 7.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Don Lapre posted:

I wouldn't expect a price drop until 2 weeks before the next nexus 7.

There's bound to be deals by individual retail/online outlets though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Mister Fister posted:

There's bound to be deals by individual retail/online outlets though.

Yeah I decided I didn't need one right now and figured I'd wait to see if any retailers had good deals in a few months around Black Friday. We might see Staples do another $30 off tablets coupon that will officially apply to the new Nexus or other similar deals.