Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
I do not agree with how the social label I choose to identify myself with is perceived by society. You see, according to this popular comedy show nerds dress up like their favourite comic book heroes. But in reality, we, eh, do exactly that! But it's completely different from what the media says! No, I won't elaborate because it's incredibly obvious!

Halfway during the video, we get to see a couple of screens taken from skype videos with 'real fans'. The last clip that appears is of a guy clutching his very own anime body pillow. I'm sure we all know that such people exist, but I doubt the general public does. There's the possibility that if this movie gets made, it ironically ends up hurting the 'nerd' image.

Atheism is mathematically and metaphysically impossible. Just ask these children, they wouldn't lie to you. Also, science is false because the resurrection of Jesus Christ and the shroud of Turin. Now give me 4000 dollars so I can send my manuscript to the nearest vanity press.

I'm sure these people have noble intentions, but their IndieGoGo campaign reads like someone fed a business presentation through a Markov chain and then smeared the resulting wordmash over the submission form. They want to offer young men perspective in life, about that much I understand. What I don't get is what they need this crowdfunding campaign for.

Pay my rent. These people live in a house that's too small for them and their children, and they want to move into something bigger. They're exactly 6615 dollars short on fulfilling this dream, and would like some assistance.

College-educated alpha-males are ruining the level of civil discourse! :gonk: Men don't know how to talk to women anymore! There are rude salespeople everywhere! But don't worry, grandpa is here to save the day! With 240,000 dollars, he can start no less than three free internet websites where people can learn about effective communication, entirely for free! Once these sites are launched, society's level of discourse will immediately go up because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
If you make your Kickstarter banners in Comic Sans, I am going to not take you seriously.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Zybourne Clock posted:

Atheism is mathematically and metaphysically impossible. Just ask these children, they wouldn't lie to you. Also, science is false because the resurrection of Jesus Christ and the shroud of Turin. Now give me 4000 dollars so I can send my manuscript to the nearest vanity press.

quote:

I have been blessed to be able to live in Honolulu where many people from all over the world visit regularly, especially Waikiki. Visitors spend lots of time in the heart of Waikiki on Kalakaua Avenue, as many street performers and other non-conformists congregate there and interact with visitors. My plan is to engage people in thoughtful conversation on the meaning of life, and to offer my book for free to those who will promise to actually read it (I don't want them to just bring it home and put it on a shelf!). I think most people will try to follow through on that. I've played music out there before, and interacted with many visitors there, and the depth of conversation can be amazing. My challenge will be to properly screen people, and I will be happy to do that continually until I have hundreds or even thousands of promo books distributed.

So basically a kickstarter to ruin vacations and honeymoons.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Zybourne Clock posted:

College-educated alpha-males are ruining the level of civil discourse! :gonk: Men don't know how to talk to women anymore! There are rude salespeople everywhere! But don't worry, grandpa is here to save the day! With 240,000 dollars, he can start no less than three free internet websites where people can learn about effective communication, entirely for free! Once these sites are launched, society's level of discourse will immediately go up because

Society's discourse will improve because women, men, sales audiences, people bored during meetings will all hand out these cards to people.

("you strike me as man who might have great potential")
Favorite line: "It makes you want to walk up to the front of the room, thump the guy on the head and say 'hey, how about takin' ten minutes to prepare next time?'" Such a boring man, love 'em.

judge reinhold has a new favorite as of 22:29 on Jul 27, 2013

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Zybourne Clock posted:

Haha, from the video: 'I don't know of a single human being who reads more than I do. No brag. Just fact.'

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Orzo posted:

Haha, from the video: 'I don't know of a single human being who reads more than I do. No brag. Just fact.'

That's entirely plausible, given that he's probably never met another human being.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Orzo posted:

As if reading is some inherently noble, educational purpose. I've known house wives who read a ton...of lovely, harlequin romance novels. I wouldn't read a book on science and theology by any of them, either.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TheJoker138 posted:

As if reading is some inherently noble, educational purpose. I've known house wives who read a ton...of lovely, harlequin romance novels. I wouldn't read a book on science and theology by any of them, either.

Wasn't there some goon who bragged that he read 1000 pages of books a day or something and he literally just grabbed random books at used book stores to keep up his "pages per day"?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Orzo posted:

Pay no attention to those book reviewers, literary agents, publishing executives, and academics behind the curtain!

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

particle409 posted:

"Hey guys, everybody send me your headshots so I can make the most generic sitcom promo ever." Looks like they were pulled straight out of a Playbill.

The top three guys look like the same person, and I sure am glad they were able to get that one black girl in because if you are going to try to rip-off Girls or Friends, you got to make some progress. Even with one girl being completely different than the rest.. they still all look the same to me, like I can't recognize faces.

[/quote]

The Civilized Man does not use Flexible Funding.

Old Doggy Bastard has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Jul 27, 2013

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rapdawg posted:

The top three guys look like the same person, and I sure am glad they were able to get that one black girl in because if you are going to try to rip-off Girls or Friends, you got to make some progress. Even with one girl being completely different than the rest.. they still all look the same to me, like I can't recognize faces.

The girl next to the black girl and the 40 year old is weirdly symmetrical, like that "symmetrify the world" thread we had here.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

TheJoker138 posted:

The girl next to the black girl and the 40 year old is weirdly symmetrical, like that "symmetrify the world" thread we had here.

In general, I think there's something very strange going on in that image. The longer I look at it, the more strangely proportioned the faces look. Like maybe they got distorted in Photoshop, but they had high enough res source images that it's not blatantly obvious.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Brutal Carnage guys have gone full rear end in a top hat in the comments. They seem a little miffed that they're not going to get even a fraction of what they want (and thus nothing), and so they're taking it out on one of the commenters.

shitheads posted:

Sigh* sorry people but this guy has to addressed. eXoScoriae aka [REDACTED] (yes we know your real name cowboy) were glad your getting a kick out of watching our project fail. Were also glad you have something to vent on since your life is so miserable. On the other hand we have looked at the comments you have left for other projects and honestly we advise everyone to Google the name “eXoScoriae”. Oh, did you really think you could hide behind such a unique name? You spend all your time creating accounts on various blogs posting your negative comments because deep down your unhappy and WE KNOW WHY. Your what we call a “demented soul”. Although your welcome to post your hatred online just remember you will never be taken seriously in real life unless its a conversation about “start wars”. We love your rant on reddit concerning American McGee and his kickstarter project HAHAHAHA. Its seems you don’t get the definition of inspiration but keep in mind you are the definition of pathetic. To see how important this guy thinks he is click on the following link.

[REDACTED]

Were glad a major studio screwed you out of your rights to your remarkable story HAHAHAHAHA THATS WHY YOUR MAD !!!!! We rather have a failed kickstarter project than be you bro. Now go kick rocks, lol. PEACE !!!

Redactions mine, we don't need some rear end in a top hat's internet detective poo poo going around.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Noyemi K posted:

Brutal Carnage guys have gone full rear end in a top hat in the comments. They seem a little miffed that they're not going to get even a fraction of what they want (and thus nothing), and so they're taking it out on one of the commenters.

Redactions mine, we don't need some rear end in a top hat's internet detective poo poo going around.

Mean people refuse to reward IP theft.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Zybourne Clock posted:

He's also a homophobe who has written "proof" that gayness does not naturally occur in nature.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Orzo posted:

Yes, the videos are all like that. They are also full of annoying jump cuts. Despite all this, the Megaman video actually does have some good content with concrete examples.

Yeah, I like that video and try to bring across the discoverability ideas into the web app stuff I've been working on the last month or so. I think the pretty obvious thing thing these guys who say - well we'll leave these things for the player to discover -- they're missing the fact that unless you put thought and design into HOW your player will discover something, it's a crapshoot whether they stumble upon it or not. If you're not doing that, it's not really a conscious decision at that point but an omission.

You probably didn't learn to wall jump Super Metroid by accident, even though you could've done so at any point in the game, you probably did it going through their specifically crafted set piece which made it crystal clear that you could do it, and roughly how to do it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Maluco Marinero posted:

You probably didn't learn to wall jump Super Metroid by accident, even though you could've done so at any point in the game, you probably did it going through their specifically crafted set piece which made it crystal clear that you could do it, and roughly how to do it.

There's a two-minute scene in Indie Game: The Movie that conveys this point perfectly well without an obnxious, affected YouTube Personality.

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Is that your Steam group?

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.

Sun Dog posted:

Is that your Steam group?

No.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
I'm conflicted about this sixteen minute long compilation of farts and belches. On the one hand, it's pretty gross. (The trailers shows one person burping in someone else's mouth). On the other, the movie is already completed and he only needs money to send his creation to a variety of movie festivals. In my mind's eye I picture an audience who just watched a very tearful drama or artsy experimental production, only to be served a non-stop stream of farts and burps a few moments later.

Join my creepy cult. I only need $144,000, that's one dollar per future member! We want to create a mobile phone application which allows synchronized prayer throughout the world. This will help instantly eradicate war throughout the world. But don't take my word for it. we have scientific backing for our claims! You see, Quantum Prayer is a very powerful thing, and we can heal through the Unity Matrix. Their scientific backing page on their website is a thing of wonder.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Maluco Marinero posted:

Or if you're 11 years old, and me, you convince yourself you've accidentally run into a place that you can't get out of. And you saved down there. So you restart the entire game and make sure you don't fall in that pit again.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

judge reinhold posted:

Society's discourse will improve because women, men, sales audiences, people bored during meetings will all hand out these cards to people.

("you strike me as man who might have great potential")
Favorite line: "It makes you want to walk up to the front of the room, thump the guy on the head and say 'hey, how about takin' ten minutes to prepare next time?'" Such a boring man, love 'em.

I'm the grammatical error in a card chastising people for bad grammar.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

theflyingexecutive posted:

I'm the grammatical error in a card chastising people for bad grammar.

Come, let people who can't use a semi-colon properly teach you how to improve your writing.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Come, let people who can't use a semi-colon properly teach you how to improve your writing.

Come on now, the guy who wrote this strikes me as man who knows his grammar.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

Noyemi K posted:

Relax, they don't need the funding anyway.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1466533510/brutal-carnage-a-2d-fighting-game-concept-characte/posts

quote:

Great news everyone !!! We at 82 Productions have decided to develop Brutal Carnage the Game by making this project available as an internship for college students. By making this project a internship it eliminates the need of a budget and guarantees its development. Due to this decision we are now only seeking the funds needed to finish the concept artwork. This means that if we reach our goal of $3,500 that Brutal Carnage the Game will be created and ONLY awarded to the backers of this project. We now estimate that development of Brutal Carnage the Game will began within 4 months from the end date of this kickstarter project and will continue till completed. We are aware that people will have plenty of questions and we advise everyone who does to visit the FAQS section of this kickstarter project. This project is now a campaignto create concept artwork for future artist/interns to use as a blue print when it comes to our standards concerning detail and design. We are very excited and confident with this method to transposing our idea into a game and we look forward to its journey.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

As evil as this is, what's even worse is that actual professional film studios are doing this exact same drat thing and almost nobody cares aside from the actual VFX artists.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Haha, they're resorting to unpaid internships.

I bet there's hundreds of college students looking to jump at the chance not to work at major print, media, and game studios and receive pay, college credit, and industry experience and instead work for an amateur studio that's cheating them out of their labors. I bet the art department faculty leads can look passed their unprofessionalism and assign students to help out with this project that does nothing to enhance the status of the school in the eyes of industry.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

As evil as this is, what's even worse is that actual professional film studios are doing this exact same drat thing and almost nobody cares aside from the actual VFX artists.

At least with a major effects house, there's practical experience and networking to offset the no-pay to entice prospective interns. These guys offer neither.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I'm pretty sure those guys got into legal trouble for doing that.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Internships are awesome, if they mean something. I find it really exploitative just to talk about using that free labor so casually. They are not talking about it like its helping people passionate break into the industry with a project, they are instead looking at it as a budget solution and easy way for free labor. That is just messed up.

I think anyone who is making an indie game/movie/project should try to cut spending as much as possible, but they should not use people.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

It's highly illegal to call people interns to avoid paying them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fatkraken posted:

Find out through play is fine, but as the video says you need pretty careful level design to teach the player how to make their abilities work. It can't just be trial and error, it has to be suggestion and necessity (for example, teaching you wall jumps by putting you in a pit with climbable walls and leading you towards them), and it sounds like the game being reviewed is firmly in the former camp. If there are five ways to regain your health, all of which work but some of which are just kinda lovely, you have to either directly tell the player or force them to discover each in turn by locking off the others in an organic way

This is why it takes Valve like 8 goddamn years to put out a game, but when they do, its loving awesome.

Its because they playtest the ever loving gently caress out of everything. EVERYTHING. They refuse to teach you with popups, they want the game to teach you things, and to make sure that works for everybody, they test it over and over and over and constantly change things and iterate.

Portal's developer commentary is amazing. Tiny details like putting something interesting on the wall that leads your eyes up to the ceiling so you notice there's something on the ceiling, because most people rarely look up.

Sadly few developers can afford to make a product that polished.

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.

Zaphod42 posted:

This is why it takes Valve like 8 goddamn years to put out a game, but when they do, its loving awesome.

Its because they playtest the ever loving gently caress out of everything. EVERYTHING. They refuse to teach you with popups, they want the game to teach you things, and to make sure that works for everybody, they test it over and over and over and constantly change things and iterate.

Portal's developer commentary is amazing. Tiny details like putting something interesting on the wall that leads your eyes up to the ceiling so you notice there's something on the ceiling, because most people rarely look up.

Sadly few developers can afford to make a product that polished.

Yea, this is pretty much because Valve has the time/money to change EVERYTHING after a playtest as well.
Normal developers will probably not be able to postpone their game by a year simply because how a certain mechanic didn't make sense.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Noyemi K posted:

:catstare: Wait, so they don't like how the kickstarter is going so not only are they going to dox their backers they're going full internet detective on them?

Where the gently caress is Kickstarter when poo poo like this happens? How have they not been sued to oblivion yet? Do they even have a competent legal team? Their employees all just look like hipsters.

Kickstarter needs to die already so a more reputable website can take its place.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Finally your wildest dreams can come true, you too can be insulted by the Iron Sheik on Twitter:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/iranian-legend-the-iron-sheik-story

Iron Sheik posted:

“HELLO TO ALL MY INTELLIGENT FANS!

We start to make a movie, documentary, about my life. How I bodyguard of Shah, how I was gold medal wrestling champion, how I was #1 WWE champion, how I was the real shooter and not like that rice krispie dick Chris Brown. But now we need the help of the fans. So if you have the heart, if you have the balls, please help support my documentary on the indiegogogo and to make the REAL film for the REAL fans about the REAL legend.

God bless!"

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Zaphod42 posted:

:catstare: Wait, so they don't like how the kickstarter is going so not only are they going to dox their backers they're going full internet detective on them?

Where the gently caress is Kickstarter when poo poo like this happens? How have they not been sued to oblivion yet? Do they even have a competent legal team? Their employees all just look like hipsters.

Kickstarter needs to die already so a more reputable website can take its place.

Between the internet detective poo poo, insulting backers, and sending me these "clever" little messages, I'd say someone's very disappointed in how their kickstarter is going and doesn't know how to take failure gracefully. Rather than learning from it and shoring up their skills and direction for next time or gracefully pulling the plug, they're going to sling poo poo like chimpanzees instead.

I couldn't be more happy that they're failing so miserably. Not only do they not get any money, they lose whatever goodwill they had!

EDIT: Oh, and despite their imminent failure, they're still steady begging for support on twitter. And being ignored. Welcome to the world of "I've got nothing to actually show you", fellas!

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 17:32 on Jul 29, 2013

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

pathetic little tramp posted:

Finally your wildest dreams can come true, you too can be insulted by the Iron Sheik on Twitter:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/iranian-legend-the-iron-sheik-story

If his appearances on Howard Stern are any indicator, this could be an amazing film.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Manifest posted:

If his appearances on Howard Stern are any indicator, this could be an amazing film.

Yeah,there was an article on him in USA Today, about his life and his medical issues from his wrestling days. I didn't know he was actually an Olympic wrestler from Iran, who fled to America after the revolution.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Zaphod42 posted:

It really does. The fast and loose approach that kickstarter takes has really damaged the idea of crowd-funding. Very few projects seem to come to fruition. Even major projects backed by industry giants like double-fine are stalling, going over budget, or (in the case of the "Doom that came..." board game) complete mismanagement of the whole project leaving thousands of backers out in the cold.

This is aside from all of the blatant scams, scummy projects (reddit PUA guide/send my daughter to RPG camp), and the untold thousands of terrible projects by teenagers trying to get money for what amounts to sketch ideas.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Crain posted:

It really does. The fast and loose approach that kickstarter takes has really damaged the idea of crowd-funding. Very few projects seem to come to fruition. Even major projects backed by industry giants like double-fine are stalling, going over budget, or (in the case of the "Doom that came..." board game) complete mismanagement of the whole project leaving thousands of backers out in the cold.

This is aside from all of the blatant scams, scummy projects (reddit PUA guide/send my daughter to RPG camp), and the untold thousands of terrible projects by teenagers trying to get money for what amounts to sketch ideas.

Or irresponsible people who want to crowdfund their irresponsibility. Though this usually pops up on other crowdfunding websites like Indiegogo (see the family trying to get money in the first post on this page), but there are a lot of morons who want free money and there just has to be some sort of quality control on this stuff.

Kickstarter's ideology of "don't do anything until massive media blowback" doesn't really work on a large scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I think the Pebble is the only really successful example of a Kickstarter. Although, the finished product was kind of a useless gimmick, but that was the idea going into it. I'm glad that I sold mine for double what I paid for it.