Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TalonDemonKing posted:

Bismarck? Really? Every game I've had him in he ends up swallowing his contenient or picking fights with me. He really likes to settle ontop of me with those lovely 1 pop cities on a continent I pretty much already own.

Like seriously, you're going to drop a city who's starting hex borders mine? Whats your problem, get off my island!
Yeah, if he's not on your continent and doesn't take any important wonders, he's perfectly manageable and pretty loyal and forgiving and generally won't pick on scrubs who don't share his landmass.

Napoleon is surprisingly loyal, too, but he's much more opportunistic than Bismarck and will snap up your Recalled-to-Life RA bitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Hiawatha has always been super friendly to me and doesn't seem like much of a back stabber. He's one of the few who will keep staying my friend even if he goes a different ideology.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Hiawatha has always been super friendly to me and doesn't seem like much of a back stabber. He's one of the few who will keep staying my friend even if he goes a different ideology.

He backstabs me every single game, well every single game I let him live long enough after he shits out cities all around me.

Now Oda, he is the best AI, always a warmonger and always honest...never a backstabber and my BFF for life every game!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
^ I don't like Nobunaga because he's such a warmonger that he'll either eat your Recalled to Life allies or he'll piss off the rest of the world so much that he'll eventually be destroyed by a coalition of everyone but him and you, so he's a very "A or B" kind of ally.

The only reason he's on my shitlist is because he's a crazy expansionist. Even if he's on another continent, he'll start moving settlers into your core and next to your capital the moment he researches Astronomy.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

TalonDemonKing posted:

People who will always be your bros:

Harold
Monty
Dido (Never effective, though)
Cathy
Wu

I guess that says more about my play style than the AI, though.

Harold is the best bro. He might dow you once or twice but he doesn't mean it, just wants to keep you on your toes.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

uPen posted:

Harold is the best bro. He might dow you once or twice but he doesn't mean it, just wants to keep you on your toes.

I love Harold, if you beat him once he will never do anything to you again in the game except be your best bro.

He won't even care if you start murdering/genociding everyone!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

uPen posted:

This is what I always thought, but last game I played he was a scheming little schemer. My spy reported almost every other turn a new nation he was preparing to backstab, even his closest ally (and only fellow autocratic reactionary fascist) Portugal. I ended up thrashing him as just punishment for being such a faithless dick.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Dido is one of those Civs who seem to be incredibly rare for me. When she does turn up, she always seems hilariously petulant and suicidal, starting wars with me when she's clearly outmatched and complaining when I slap her down for doing so.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Since oceans confuse the AI, making archipelago maps and the like easier, is the inverse true for Pangea maps? Is having little/no ocean on the map like bumping the difficulty up?

E: I had The Ottomans attack my single coastal city with a force of 30 or so battleships and 15 ish ironclads. Took him about 30 turns to even actually assault me. Totally crushed me. Point. Is, he could have done so 30 turns sooner.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 29, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pvt.Scott posted:

Since oceans confuse the AI, making archipelago apps and the like easier, is the inverse true for Pangea maps? Is having little/no ocean on the map like bumping the difficulty up?

If you consider conquering everyone by 1000 BC instead of just half of them to be bumping the difficulty up :v:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Just won a Autocracy diplo victory as Assyria after wiping out every AI on my continent. Austria had done to same to the other continent, and by end game it was just the two of us, with her being easily twice my size. Only reason I won was because she couldn't stop marrying every city-state she allied with. In the end I was allied with every city state on the map because there were only six of them left. She dominated the world congress the whole game, and then just threw it all away to go for a culture victory off everything she stole from Dido. :psyduck:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

If you consider conquering everyone by 1000 BC instead of just half of them to be bumping the difficulty up :v:

Pangaea maps are more cramped and the AI goes to war more readily, so it's probably more difficult, but you will usually finish the game sooner. There's usually more competition for city spots and borders start meeting very early on.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

The White Dragon posted:

I assume this is why continents is the default map type and it tends to be a two landmass split then. The ocean acts as a wet speed bump for the PC.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pvt.Scott posted:

I assume this is why continents is the default map type and it tends to be a two landmass split then. The ocean acts as a wet speed bump for the PC.
Nah, it's only a roadblock for a warmonger game. Continents just fosters a different kind of play that favors tech and diplo over going to war. First to astronomy? You'll get a chance to build up your alliances before your now-warring continentmates even meet them, plus you'll get dibs on their luxuries.

I guess that's why I like Polynesia so much, because it lets me play any kind of victory I like on any map type.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
How often do you guys move your original settler? Is it worth wasting a turn to move him to a hill or just suck it up and settle them where they drop?

I got my first BNW cultural victory today as Napoleon today. 6 civs, 3 on two continents, I ended up wiping out Korea (really starting to develop an irrational hatred for them) and Austria before I met Indian, Netherlands, and the Iroquois. It was kind of nice having plenty of choices of where to settle my cities without any competition. I need to get a better medium for war, I'm always all out war or I never fire a single shot.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

In the long run, one or two turns don't really mean much and it's almost always worth it to move the settler if there's a better looking spot within sight. This means moving a tile or two over to settle on a hill, or on a coast, or next to a better luxury, etc.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rather Dashing posted:

The Continents Plus map has a modded version that redistributes the City States properly as opposed to dumping them all on an island - can't seem to Google it up though.

Here are the instructions.

Someone asked a long time ago how do do this for the Mac version. You do the same edits, but the file is located in:

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization v/Civilization V.app/Contents/Home/assets/DLC/DLC_SP_Maps

Yes, .apps are all secretly folders. You can right click on them and “view contents” to open them like normal folders.

I’d use the Finder’s “Go to folder…” command (in the “Go” menu, obviously) to get there.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Where does a civilization get all its money when I embargo them? I met Shaka on the other continent and quickly embargoed him but he's still swimming in gold, more so than any other civ, except me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
What's the opinion on some of the pregenerated maps from the map DLC? I've played the Mediterranean Basin and Caribbean ones so far, and rather enjoyed them. Caribbean in particular was interesting - most civs get squeezed into thin bands of land around the edges of the map, while only the lucky few in South America get much land territory to work with. Didn't see anyone start out in the islands, but that's where most of the oil and aluminum on the map were so there was a sudden Industrial Age rush to colonize the islands. A couple of AIs got hosed in starting location, stuck along the edges of the Gulf of Mexico with more dangerous neighbors sealing them in on the landward sides and no real expansion opportunity that isn't a long sea journey away.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Has anyone rewritten the old four-city-tradition opener to account for the changes in BNW with? Not being able to readily sell off luxuries ASAP combined with the lowered gold is really throwing my old tactic into disarray and I am improvising madly to try to keep the broad strokes alive (note: I am terrible at this game, and despite 110 hours sunk into it Prince is still "a fun challenge" and King is "maybe I can win it once in ten tries", so, there's that)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cythereal posted:

What's the opinion on some of the pregenerated maps from the map DLC?

Whoever designed the Mediterranean map was a moron because a single land tile prevents you from sailing around the tip of the Iberian peninsula. I started in northern Spain, so I ended up dropping a city there just so I could make the transit.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Losem posted:

How often do you guys move your original settler? Is it worth wasting a turn to move him to a hill or just suck it up and settle them where they drop?

Rarely, especially not if movement would take up an entire turn. I don't like sacrificing turns while going on incomplete information. "I want to be next to [that river / the coast / a food source]" is sometimes valid, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Where does a civilization get all its money when I embargo them? I met Shaka on the other continent and quickly embargoed him but he's still swimming in gold, more so than any other civ, except me.

Lots of high-gold tiles, trades with other civs (embargoes only matter for trade routes, not resource trades), demanding tribute from city states, and city looting and pillaging.

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!

Lots of high-gold tiles, trades with other civs (embargoes only matter for trade routes, not resource trades), demanding tribute from city states, and city looting and pillaging.

Pretty sure they can also trade with city states unless you embargo CSs as well.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

How does leveling up spies work?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ariong posted:

Steal a tech, kill an enemy spy or build the NSA, and you gain a level.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Does the "you promised to move your troops from their borders, then broke it" modifier ever go away?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Ariong posted:

They gain a level when they steal a technology, catch an enemy spy trying to steal technology, or you build the National Intelligence Agency.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

PostNouveau posted:

Steal a tech, kill an enemy spy or build the NSA, and you gain a level.

thehumandignity posted:

They gain a level when they steal a technology, catch an enemy spy trying to steal technology, or you build the National Intelligence Agency.

Oh! Thanks. I like the NSA because even if your spy gets killed, the replacement will automatically be an agent.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

TalonDemonKing posted:

Every time I see Alexander in a game, I settle a city in a nice, production heavy area, then throw a food caravan at it. Mashup as much production as possible, Ironworks, workshop, factories, whatever, as well as barracks and the other +xp buildings, and wait till Idealologies roll around. Meanwhile, level up your spies up and 'retire' them to a nice city-state once they hit max rank.

Take Freedom. You're looking for 'Arsenal of Democracy'. Set your production city to produce whatever military unit you can pump out 1 of per turn. Choose 3 city states that you want to take that are preferably near him. Pump out a unit every turn, then donate them to the 3 city states. Since it takes 3 turns to arrive, and you can't donate more while military are in transit, this is why you need 3 city states to take from him.

Since you're gaining ~8 inf/turn with the city states, eventually you'll overtake his influence and become their ally. But don't stop donating units. Wait till they have a nice, fat army, then declare war on him. With the city states and their massive army, it should keep him occupied long enough for you to move in and cripple him. Once he's squarely in last place, enjoy your diplomatic victory by funding the world a massive army and your spies rigging the elections in every city state.

Arsenal of Democracy is a pretty kickin' rad ability.

I've never actually seen city-states attack anyone, ever, under any circumstance. Once a city state that was right beside me snuck in, burned a farm, and ran away.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Verviticus posted:

I've never actually seen city-states attack anyone, ever, under any circumstance. Once a city state that was right beside me snuck in, burned a farm, and ran away.

They really only do anything about enemy units that are inside of or adjacent to their territory.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Ariong posted:

They really only do anything about enemy units that are inside of or adjacent to their territory.

This does mean they're really good as buffer states. If I'm about to declare war, defending an unexpected war, or worried about my flank the first thing I do is buy out a city state on the path between our two nations. They're pretty good at distracting and harrying an enemy moving against you and usually get the AI to waste a few troops.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Verviticus posted:

If they have siege units, they do use them. I've seen them take some cities, but it's rare. More often I see them try but fail as their military never holds up and they can't get reinforcements out fast enough. I've even seen them send caravels halfway around the world once and attack a city with them.

City states won't ever attack a city more than a few tiles away with their land army, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 29, 2013

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Verviticus posted:

They’re more vicious on higher difficulties. They get the same production bonuses as the AI, so they can end up with units carpeting everything around them.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
On emperor difficulty, I managed to convince two different city states to take the last city (capital) of two civs I was destroying. They can't raze capitals, so those city states then had two cities. After that, my buddy as Venice bought out the two city states and got four cities out of it! All without getting a genocide penalty, pretty tricky.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Platystemon posted:

They’re more vicious on higher difficulties. They get the same production bonuses as the AI

I'm pretty sure that's not how the difficulty setting works. Prince is a baseline at which no bonuses or penalties are applied. Below that level you receive bonuses, and above that level you receive penalties. But the AI is always at Prince. Nothing changes about the AI or their production/science/whatever when you crank up the difficulty, you just get slowed down.

If I'm an idiot who has no idea what he's talking about someone let me know!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wow, Brazil's Prachinas produce Golden Age points equal to the strength of the unit they kill. Even killing Gatling Guns gives you +30 GA points. Find yourself an enemy or just some barbarians to kill and you're good.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm pretty sure the AI gets bonuses if only because to convert standard values to Marathon it's a straight multiple without any additional variable for difficulty level.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
http://www.civfanatics.com/civ5/difficulties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I remember one game where I was on a continent with Bismarck, Ramesses II , and a few city states. At one point Bismarck obliterated Ramesses, but a city state was the one to take his capital. Since it was a capital, they couldn't just raze it like they usually do, so they kept it. I was still new to the game, so I didn't quite realize how unique it was. Otherwise I would have taken a screenshot.

• Locked thread