Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

JerikTelorian posted:

Gotcha, thanks. She is exotic to me, so that's probably it.

If I start to trade with people that have no ideology, or an ideology that is the same, that should slow the bleed too, right?

Yes, I think pressure from a civ with the same ideology will counteract pressure from differing ideologies. So if you're Freedom and both an Order civ and a Freedom civ are Exotic to you while you're Unknown to them, you should not be incurring any unhappiness penalties. I think. I can't recall ever paying attention to that (I tend to play Culture games where I'm one of the biggest Tourism powerhouses, so dissidents are seldomly an issue for me).

So no trade routes and no open borders to civs of a different ideology with a better overall Tourism score than you, and you should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Thalassicus (CivUP / GEM modder) is working on a new map script for the third version of his mod. Looking good so far.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Beamed posted:

Maybe something like the Ivy League, to indicate such an intricate level of universities that it's tiered? :shrug:

This wouldn't make much sense either as Ivy League is an US thing only.

They should just call it X university where X is the city it's built in.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Brannock posted:

Thalassicus (CivUP / GEM modder) is working on a new map script for the third version of his mod. Looking good so far.

I really want to play with CivUP again but man, he really needs to work on its bugs. It's crashy, there's buggy description and interface text at places, and so on.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Brannock posted:

Holy poo poo lake systems :swoon:

I think the stock map generator actually handles river geography really well a lot of the time, but actual lakes like in that picture seems awesome.

Now if only it was usable in multiplayer...

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Haha so some more googling found the cause of my crash, and its really weirdly specific:

Completing an archeological dig outside of your controlled territory while playing as Washington is apparently a known bug. Guess what exact circumstances my two crashing games both had when I hit the early 1700s? Although in the first one I could swear I was inside my borders, I'll have to check when I get home.

Now I have to decide whether I want to finish those games knowing I can't safely dig...that's a hell of a culture setback.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
I've seen a few posts where people are unsure about warmonger penalties, or are referencing the G&K warmonger penalties which are different from BNW's. Quoting Putmalk:

quote:

• Warmonger status is calculated per city now (declaring war still affects that score). Conquering civilizations no longer affects that score.
  • Keeping one AI civ alive doesn't spare you from warmongering penalty anymore.
  • The penalty for declaring war on a major/city-state has been halved to 2.5, and the penalty for conquering is gone.
  • If you recapture a city that used to belong to you, it doesn't affect your warmongering.
  • Liberating a city also reduces your warmongering penalty (with every other civ).
Happy mongering!
Warmonger penalty per city:
    estimated_num_cities = 13 (Duel), 26 (Tiny), 39 (Small), 52 (Standard), 80 (Large), 132 (Huge)

total_num_cities = max(total number of cities current in the game, 1)

num_old_owner_cities = max(old owner's city count, 1)

warmonger change = (10 * estimated_num_cities) / (total_num_cities * num_old_owner_cities)
So if I take one of russia's cities and she has 20 cities on Standard, then I take a warmonger hit of (10 * 52) / (20 * 48) = .54. Compared that to the old 5 for declaring war on a major civilization (+10 for conquering). Same goes for liberation, in reverse

Some notes:
  • stronger warmonger hit for killing a city from a smaller civ than larger civ
  • stronger liberation bonus for liberating a city from a smaller civ than larger civ
  • declaring war gives a less hit on diplomacy (half)
Cities taken through peace deals are still warmonger free.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Inspector_71 posted:

I think the stock map generator actually handles river geography really well a lot of the time, but actual lakes like in that picture seems awesome.

If we get navigable rivers at some point, even in modform, I will squeal like a 14 year old girl.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Inspector_71 posted:

Right now, lakes are a pretty big problem because of Great Admiral spawns. I'd prefer a map without them until that's fixed (which I doubt it ever will be).

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I really want to play with CivUP again but man, he really needs to work on its bugs. It's crashy, there's buggy description and interface text at places, and so on.

He is, as far as I can tell. It's a long process.

SlightlyMadman posted:

Right now, lakes are a pretty big problem because of Great Admiral spawns. I'd prefer a map without them until that's fixed (which I doubt it ever will be).

Ooh, that would be an issue. I'll ask him and see if it's something that can be fixed.

Brannock fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 29, 2013

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Brannock posted:

He is, as far as I can tell. It's a long process.

His problem Back When was apparently that he would just ignore bugs and continue adding features, before stopping all development altogether when BNW was announced, instead of at least fixing bugs in the meantime. So maybe he's fixing it now, but it was a longstanding concern.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Beamed posted:

If we get navigable rivers at some point, even in modform, I will squeal like a 14 year old girl.

I still really want buildable canals.

Now that you mention it though, I'm surprised that traveling along a river doesn't impart some kind of movement bonus, especially for civs who are famous for canoeing and whatnot.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Inspector_71 posted:

Now that you mention it though, I'm surprised that traveling along a river doesn't impart some kind of movement bonus, especially for civs who are famous for canoeing and whatnot.

The Songhai get their River Warlord bonus, but yeah, I'd legitimately love if rivers mattered as much as they did realistically.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Beamed posted:

His problem Back When was apparently that he would just ignore bugs and continue adding features, before stopping all development altogether when BNW was announced, instead of at least fixing bugs in the meantime. So maybe he's fixing it now, but it was a longstanding concern.

I've been reading the forum for his mod on and off for a week or so now, and as far as I can tell the main goal right now is to set up a bunch of framework for the upcoming CEP mod, with him working on fixing CivUP bugs on the side. iirc his goal was to have three versions: CivUP, "raw" CEP (just AI changes and stuff like that? fuzzy on this), and "full" CEP (balance changes, leader changes, new units and techs).

It'll probably take a while to get to a playable state, though. I'm not too concerned about it, I'm really enjoying vanilla BNW for now and don't see myself modding BNW for at least another few months. That should be enough time for him to get his poo poo in order.

I'd love to play on that new map script though, once he's ironed out the bugs with it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ships up to Frigates at least should be able to go up river and cities on rivers should be able to be seaports (London, Philadelphia.) But that would mean rivers would have to be tiles I guess.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Inspector_71 posted:

In Civ 1 or 2 you had a movement bonus along rivers, similar to roads. It was a neat mechanic and I miss it, but it made sense to take out when they changed them from being an actual tile type to a between tile feature. Navigable rivers would have to be a Civ 6 feature, since they're not really compatible with the current tile system.

The way I'd do it would be to have all water units exist on the vertices between tiles, instead of on tiles themselves. This means water units could live on coasts as well as travel up rivers.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

euphronius posted:

Ships up to Frigates at least should be able to go up river and cities on rivers should be able to be seaports (London, Philadelphia.) But that would mean rivers would have to be tiles I guess.

There's a debate going on in the Civ 5 :reddit:, and one of the ideas I floated around was that oceangoing vessels can't use rivers, but otherwise rivers are functionally identical to Coasts, except land units treat them as they do now. Maybe Navigable rivers also can't have bridges across them?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Corvinus posted:

:words: about warmonger penalties

What I’m getting from this is that I should nuke cities to the ground to avoid the penalty for capturing them.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Platystemon posted:

What I’m getting from this is that I should nuke cities to the ground to avoid the penalty for capturing them.

You're not doing that already just to avoid the happiness hit? Unless I'm getting Uranium out of the deal, I take no prisoners (cities) once I have nuclear missiles.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you can keep 6 or so allied city states, that cushions the blow of the entire world hating you.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Nukes have one of the worst penalties so not so much.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RagnarokAngel posted:

Nukes have one of the worst penalties so not so much.

Yeah but who cares, anybody who badmouths you can just eat a missile or five.

I tend to play really peacefully until the Atomic Age, at which point I am Napoleon, Hitler, Stalin and George Bush combined.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Inspector_71 posted:

I tend to play really peacefully until the Atomic Age, at which point I am Napoleon, Hitler, Stalin and George Bush combined.

Oh hey Edna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLqW7G8797U&t=80s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk9z3ECEbso

Blackluck
Jun 26, 2012
Regarding the passivity of the AI, this thread http://tinyurl.com/mjctfsb at civfanatics explains that it is indeed trade routes that curtail (early) AI aggression.

Unrelated, finished my first BNW game:
Brazil, Prince, Large/Marathon small continents. I had a marvelous start (production and jungles and even a great Petra city.) Won a cultural victory before any other Civ had declared an ideology. I was two techs into Modern, closest rival had just reached Industrial. In fact I didn't even get to my unique unit. Tourism during golden ages is the bomb.

Blackluck fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 29, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Corvinus posted:

I've seen a few posts where people are unsure about warmonger penalties, or are referencing the G&K warmonger penalties which are different from BNW's. Quoting Putmalk:

Cities taken through peace deals are still warmonger free.

This is really informative, thanks for this. So the conquest penalty he speaks of is the "genocide" penalty we refer to? If that's completely out of the game now, then great, you should try to eliminate civs completely when feasible so they aren't screwing you over in the world congress.

Some observations: Early wars get progressively more diplomatically costly the bigger the map type you play on. Also early wars are more costly in general. If you like to put in more players on larger map types to fill in the empty space rather than let everyone get huge empires, wars are also more diplomatically costly. On a Large map type and in the early game when everyone only has about 4 cities each, taking two incurs an 8 point penalty, seemingly more than the one you got in G&K. So in most instances the penalties are lesser but in some it's higher, and should be something you should be careful about. You may want to wait until city spam has begun in full before taking someone else's territory.

edit: On the other hand, it now occurs to me that finishing off an opponent is still very costly, especially in the early game. Even in the mid or late game, if there are exactly as many cities or fewer than the estimated map size number, which is likely, then finishing off a last city will incur 10 or more warmonger points, which is exactly the amount you got when finishing off a civ before. In the early game, When the map is filled up to half capacity, that's a 20 point penalty, which is massive. So yeah, no specific penalty for killing off civs for good, but the scaling per-city penalty can be and often will be just as or more huge.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 29, 2013

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inspector_71 posted:

Yeah but who cares, anybody who badmouths you can just eat a missile or five.

The game needs a new dialog option once you have nuked a city to the ashes:
"I believe <City> would disagree."

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Haha so some more googling found the cause of my crash, and its really weirdly specific:

Completing an archeological dig outside of your controlled territory while playing as Washington is apparently a known bug. Guess what exact circumstances my two crashing games both had when I hit the early 1700s? Although in the first one I could swear I was inside my borders, I'll have to check when I get home.

Now I have to decide whether I want to finish those games knowing I can't safely dig...that's a hell of a culture setback.

Well, someone else will dig them up right? Let them do the legwork then go in with the guns ;)

That is a hilarious bug though. What possible quirk in the code could lead to that. America doesn't even have a UA related to it.

vvv Good spot, that's probably it.

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 29, 2013

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

KKKlean Energy posted:

Well, someone else will dig them up right? Let them do the legwork then go in with the guns ;)

That is a hilarious bug though. What possible quirk in the code could lead to that. America doesn't even have a UA related to it.

It might be related to the Raiders of the Lost Ark achievement—Have your American Archaeologist extract an Artifact from Egypt with a German Archaeologist within 2 tiles.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

KKKlean Energy posted:

They do have an achievement, though, the one that's an elaborate Raiders of the Lost Ark reference. It would be funny if that was what was causing the bug!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Platystemon posted:

It might be related to the Raiders of the Lost Ark achievement—Have your American Archaeologist extract an Artifact from Egypt with a German Archaeologist within 2 tiles.

This achievement is bugged, too. I managed to get it without any German Archaeologist anywhere near me while digging in Egypt.

I'm not complaining because otherwise it would have been really impossible to get that last condition...

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Ugh for the second game in a row, something is causing the game to lock up when I hit the next turn button in the middle of the 1700s. In both instances it happens just as I take the upper hand in a big war, I feel like the computer is flipping the board in a rage or something. In all seriousness though, its hugely frustrating to spend that much time on a game and then have it be unrecoverable, is there any way to find out what is tripping it up? I go back to an older autosave but as soon as I get to the same point in the game, even if I do things differently, it freezes again, so I'm assuming its hitting some trigger like a wonder that someone built or something. As much fun as the game is, I really don't want to start another round if its going to just die on me at the good part again, this has only happened in the two Emperor games I've tried.

This exact issue just killed a Venice game I was crushing on turn 301 and happened to the previous game as well (Shoshone turn 383). Game just hard locks when I click next turn. Really knocks the wind out of my sails after such careful buildup :(

Both games were Standard/Continents/King

I see the post about Washington/Archaeology, could it happen even if Washington is an AI? I know he was in my Shoshone game it's possible I hadn't met him in my Venice map.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Android Blues posted:

They do have an achievement, though, the one that's an elaborate Raiders of the Lost Ark reference. It would be funny if that was what was causing the bug!

Should've turned it into a cultural site instead of opening the chest!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, to get the Radio Free Europe achievement I'm going to need to go Freedom and conquer the hell out of an enemy. Possibly with Foreign Legions and Arsenal of Democracy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s kind of odd that you can’t trade great works for gold or resources. I presume it’s because the AI couldn’t trade intelligently.

If your guilds can’t give you enough great works, you have to take them by the sword. :jihad: Surely poorer nations would be willing to sell their cultural heritage for the right price. :wotwot:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

More odd that you can't use spies to steal great works! I'd have it be a risky business, like pulling off a coup; screw up and your spy dies.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Scorps posted:

This exact issue just killed a Venice game I was crushing on turn 301 and happened to the previous game as well (Shoshone turn 383). Game just hard locks when I click next turn. Really knocks the wind out of my sails after such careful buildup :(

Both games were Standard/Continents/King

I see the post about Washington/Archaeology, could it happen even if Washington is an AI? I know he was in my Shoshone game it's possible I hadn't met him in my Venice map.

No idea, but this is where I found it which vaguely seems to suggest that they know about the bug and should be working to fix it:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=500750

Given the turn number, I wouldn't be surprised if yours is also a similar archeology bug. Tonight when I can try again I'm going to go to an earlier autosave and try just digging what is in my own territory, we'll see how it goes. Either way, we can now end the debate: Washington is handicapped! (Real talk though I think he's pretty good otherwise, I've been leveraging those Minutemen in rough terrain and +1 sight pretty drat hard).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Autocracy Ideology should definitely have a Raiders of the Lost Ark Tenent.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I used to laugh at Washington, right until the game when I was assaulted by a horde of minutemen walking through the dense jungle and mountains to my south like it was nothing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would not like to see Minutemen with Kilimanjaro promotions. :gonk:

God help you if they upgrade to Mechanized Infantry.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I have a question regarding the earlier AI jerk point calculations: what's the current rules for how your actions affect unmet civilizations? I think previously, warmongering done early on before contacting civs on another continent would still be known, so they'd immediately hate you upon meeting them. In my current game though, I wiped out two civs on my home continent (good to hear I didn't get a genocide penalty though), and while the other remaining civ of course hates me, I just met a new civ on another continent and he's totally neutral.

Does that mean we can do what we want in our home continent and then just reform our ways when everyone hits optics?

• Locked thread