Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Minutemen really are so good that I'm afraid to sacrifice a single one, I want to keep upgrading these guys because their mobility coupled with the extra sight is so absurd you just have to try it to understand. Not only are you going to easily pick off exposed units that you normally would struggle to reach, but when the going gets tough you will successfully retreat every single time. On paper it looks weak but in practice its fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I wish there was a mechanic for when you've wiped out civilization X before civilization A meets them, but A digs up one of X's artifacts in your territory. Some sort of "OH MY GOD, THEY WERE GENOCIDAL MONSTERS ALL ALONG!!!" penalty.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Speedball posted:

More odd that you can't use spies to steal great works! I'd have it be a risky business, like pulling off a coup; screw up and your spy dies.

Now that I've read this, it seems so obvious that I'm shocked it isn't in the game. It would give you more options with spies, and make culture victories even more hands-on. Why isn't this a thing?!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Geight posted:

Now that I've read this, it seems so obvious that I'm shocked it isn't in the game. It would give you more options with spies, and make culture victories even more hands-on. Why isn't this a thing?!

Given how often spies steal tech from you...

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Spies should be able to perform an Assassination action in special Austrian/Venice puppeted city states that, if successful, returns them to being city-states at the cost of giving the Austrian/Venice civ a massive diplomatic penalty with the civ that did it (or even a random civ if the spy is good enough). Failure kills the spy.

Hey, it's based on history. :colbert:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Geight posted:

Playing for a culture win with Lizzy in the game would go from just annoying to plain obnoxious.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Brannock posted:

Given how often spies steal tech from you...

I honestly have no idea how often I'm getting things stolen from me, is there a way to see when an enemy steals something from you successfully? I thought it was silent. That said, I always plant a spy in my capital/highest potential city (usually one and same for most people, right?) and only find myself killing enemy spies if I'm way ahead of the tech game.

The way I'm imagining it is that it would be a choice, though. You'd have to tell them to steal a great work instead of tech, and then there'd be the long "gathering intel" waiting period, perhaps changed to "planning heist", and then there'd be the success/fail chance based on the infrastructure and spy experience. I think it could work out, anyways.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Geight posted:

I honestly have no idea how often I'm getting things stolen from me, is there a way to see when an enemy steals something from you successfully? I thought it was silent. That said, I always plant a spy in my capital/highest potential city (usually one and same for most people, right?) and only find myself killing enemy spies if I'm way ahead of the tech game.

The way I'm imagining it is that it would be a choice, though. You'd have to tell them to steal a great work instead of tech, and then there'd be the long "gathering intel" waiting period, perhaps changed to "planning heist", and then there'd be the success/fail chance based on the infrastructure and spy experience. I think it could work out, anyways.

You definitely get a notification when an enemy civ steals from you and you catch them (you can click it to confront them with the evidence and either demand that they stop, or let it slide for a relationship boost).

I'm fairly positive that you get the notification even if they don't get caught (something like "a spy from an unknown civ stole gunpowder from you"), but I'm not 100% on it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Geight posted:

It's always alerted; the difference is that if the spy is good/lucky enough it won't tell you who did it, just that somebody did.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I'm curious about that too, actually. I get popups fairly frequently, but my own successful tech steals seem to go unnoticed part of the time? Or do they just not care part of the time? Does that mean that I'm only noticing part of the time myself, or do you get notified every time?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The impression I had was that sometimes you don't notice, sometimes you notice, sometimes you notice and can tell which country it was, sometimes you catch them.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

In that case I don't think I have techs stolen from me that often, but most of my games since BNW have been pretty lackluster as I'm basically re-learning the game and didn't play G&K that much. Still, I could see how it would be aggravating to have every AI start silently sieging your capital with spies while you're amassing great works.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
At least with tech theft, you still keep the tech and a civ that's behind gets to catch up a bit. With art theft, the frontrunners get to easily eliminate the threat of cultural pressure from the underdogs, and further their lead using the art they just stole at the same time. Say goodbye to theming bonuses unless you have a massive lead to steal things faster than they can be stolen from you.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

QUESTION

Playing a game right now as Carthage, and I get free harbors. it says I have them on the building list for my cities, but they are not connected. Do I actually have to research harbors before they take effect?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

cams posted:

QUESTION

Playing a game right now as Carthage, and I get free harbors. it says I have them on the building list for my cities, but they are not connected. Do I actually have to research harbors before they take effect?

Edit

No. I am wrong!

euphronius fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 29, 2013

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I think you just have to research the wheel before they come online. If memory serves, that enables the whole city connection thing.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I don't understand this game sometimes. In my Poland game I started next to Pocatello so I decide to neutralize him. I take his capital and second biggest city and peace out. I spend the next 2000 years in my peaceful corner of the continent and everyone loves me for the rest of the game.

I start my Byzantines game and Egypt is right next to me with some amazing territory. I do the same thing and take his capital and second biggest city, with no other wars after. Now its stretching into the renaissance era and everyone HATES me and calls me a warmonger. Even civs who I meet for the first time will denounce me one or two turns later. The gently caress?

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

I don't understand this game sometimes. In my Poland game I started next to Pocatello so I decide to neutralize him. I take his capital and second biggest city and peace out. I spend the next 2000 years in my peaceful corner of the continent and everyone loves me for the rest of the game.

I start my Byzantines game and Egypt is right next to me with some amazing territory. I do the same thing and take his capital and second biggest city, with no other wars after. Now its stretching into the renaissance era and everyone HATES me and calls me a warmonger. Even civs who I meet for the first time will denounce me one or two turns later. The gently caress?

Same size of map and you and the target civ had the same number of cities each time?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Corvinus posted:

Same size of map and you and the target civ had the same number of cities each time?

The Byzantines game is on a larger map (huge rather than large) and they both had 3 cities at the time I took the capital+second city.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Is the CN Tower wonder bugged or is it supposed to be a terrible wonder? It gives all your cities a free Broadcast Tower, which in turn is a 33% culture boost per city. However, in my last game as the Shoshone I noticed that my culture actually dropped instead of increased after building it, and after some reloading and checking it seems that the CN Tower's broadcast towers don't have the 33% culture boost, and any city with regular broadcast towers getting replaced by the CN Tower's will lose their 33% culture boost bonus.

You do get the bonus population per city, but that's not worth the culture loss.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

How many people have you met in your Poland game when you took Pocatello's cities? Civ that haven't met you don't get any diplomacy penalties when you take cities. As for the second game, if you declare war super early on, taking cities is diplomatically expensive, people hate you more than if you do it later. And the smaller the civ, the bigger the penalty for taking one of their cities. As for the denouncing, AIs seem to factor in other civs' attitudes and their friendships and denouncements when determining their own attitude quite a bit more than they used to. They're a bunch of bandwagoners, basically, and the newly met civs are eager to jump on the hate bandwagon just because their friends hate you.

Corvinus posted:

According to the formula you posted, the number of your own cities doesn't matter at all.

edit: Also, it could just be that the Civs you had in your previous game were all naturally tolerant of warmongers and didn't care about your war.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

According to the formula you posted, the number of your own cities doesn't matter at all.

edit: Also, it could just be that the Civs you had in your previous game were all naturally tolerant of warmongers and didn't care about your war.

True.

It's probably a combination of warmonger penalty being 1.65x larger per city (all else being equal) on huge maps over large maps, and getting a combination of civs that mostly either hate warmongers (Byzantine game) or are ambivalent (Poland game).

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why is it that some civilizations call you a warmonger and some don't regardless of warmonger tolerance?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 29, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Now that the act of declaring war doesn't actually incur any sort of diplomatic penalty (supposedly), are Defensive Pacts more useful for deterring aggression? People have always said to never sign a defensive pact because being called into a war made other people see you as a warmonger but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AG3 posted:

Is the CN Tower wonder bugged or is it supposed to be a terrible wonder? It gives all your cities a free Broadcast Tower, which in turn is a 33% culture boost per city. However, in my last game as the Shoshone I noticed that my culture actually dropped instead of increased after building it, and after some reloading and checking it seems that the CN Tower's broadcast towers don't have the 33% culture boost, and any city with regular broadcast towers getting replaced by the CN Tower's will lose their 33% culture boost bonus.

You do get the bonus population per city, but that's not worth the culture loss.

Sounds like a bug, and would explain an odd culture drop my friend experienced in a recent game at about the time he finished building it.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

Why is taht some civilizations call you a warmonger and some don't regardless of warmonger tolerance?

It also depends on their relationship to the warmongeree: if you fight somebody's arch enemy that they've denounced and are at war with, while the two of you are trade partners and allies, they're more likely to look the other way. If you fight somebody's best bro, though, they're gonna throw a fit even if they have a high war tolerance.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I managed to get Dominant over Mongolia culturally, and it appears that once you have that, the Trend display disappears and it's locked in forever.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
Actually, there are a couple extra factors for warmonger penalty I missed earlier:

quote:

What PUTMALK'S analysis did not take into account was the sanity check added in the first code section. The one that chooses a warmonger status based on the number of players killed. Note in this instance players killed is the COMBINED number of minors and majors considered conquered. So for a minor it means annexed/puppeted, for a major it either means capital taken or all cities taken not sure which.

A SEVERE Warmonger status is then given if > 25% of players have been killed (modified by the Warmonger Hate stat), and CRITICAL if > 40%.

As the number of city states is large, a warmonger status is hard to get this way. Nominally a standard map has 8 Civ and 16 city states, so 24 in total. That means you would have to conquer 6 players to get SEVERE and approximately 9-10 to get critical. I guess MONGOLIA gets a little screwed in this calculation, but hey GHENGIS is what GHENGIS is NOTE : Warmonger hate alters this number up or down.

The threat levels go minor/major/severe/critical and have modifiers of 50/100/150/200 (0.5/1.0/1.5/2.0?).

An additional factor is the AI's "Warmonger Hate" factor, which can be up to +/-50% of the baseline, as seen here. Monty can be anywhere from 0.5 to 1.5 (he doesn't give a poo poo if you're a warmonger), to Selassi's 4 to 12 (at 4 he'll tolerate a moderate warmonger, and at 12 he'll denounce you at the drop of a hat).

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Now that the act of declaring war doesn't actually incur any sort of diplomatic penalty (supposedly), are Defensive Pacts more useful for deterring aggression? People have always said to never sign a defensive pact because being called into a war made other people see you as a warmonger but that doesn't seem to be the case.

A war declaration is 2.5 penalty, which is smaller than G&K.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 29, 2013

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Inspector_71 posted:

Sounds like a bug, and would explain an odd culture drop my friend experienced in a recent game at about the time he finished building it.

I didn't experience a culture drop if you're talking about our Venice/Shoshone game. I experienced a really loving strange situation where my tourism output to you dropped significantly. Seriously, the numbers didn't even make sense. It shows the base tourism and then all the bonuses I was supposed to be getting (trade bonus, ideology bonus, order's greater happiness bonus, etc.) but none of those bonuses applied so my tourism against your civ went to absolute poo poo. I have no idea what happened and I don't have any screenshots so I've basically written it off as a fluke by now. Plus we were in a MP game and we were both getting antsy wanting the game to end, so I didn't really investigate other than to note that my tourism numbers didn't make any sense (but only for the shoshone).

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ice Fist posted:

I didn't experience a culture drop if you're talking about our Venice/Shoshone game. I experienced a really loving strange situation where my tourism output to you dropped significantly. Seriously, the numbers didn't even make sense. It shows the base tourism and then all the bonuses I was supposed to be getting (trade bonus, ideology bonus, order's greater happiness bonus, etc.) but none of those bonuses applied so my tourism against your civ went to absolute poo poo. I have no idea what happened and I don't have any screenshots so I've basically written it off as a fluke by now. Plus we were in a MP game and we were both getting antsy wanting the game to end, so I didn't really investigate other than to note that my tourism numbers didn't make any sense (but only for the shoshone).

That is what I meant. I thought your culture dropped, not just Tourism.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Inspector_71 posted:

That is what I meant. I thought your culture dropped, not just Tourism.

Nope, it would have still taken you another full game to dominate my culture :smug:

VIVA VENICE

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
After an easy diplomatic victory with Arabia just buying everyone off and speeding my research with bought great scientists, I'm playing Domination with Assyria. I don't usually go for domination, and this time I've set my mind to just kill everyone.

And man, aren't those siege towers a thing. I've killed everyone in my continent and i'm preparing to knock the door of the next continent. Also, conquering a city steals a tech from its owner, which is awesome.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

cams posted:

QUESTION

Harbors are a little finicky, and you need to have cleared the route between the cities for them to work properly. Send a naval ship from one city to the next, where both cities have harbors and one is connected to the capital, and the connection should go through.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I really wish there was some better AI in terms of domination victory. I kill and burn civilization after civilization, and instead of them trying to unite and fight me. They just sit and squabble among each other, and don't really try to do anything.

It just feels way to many times late in the game, once i have beaten the other major power in the game. The game kind of becomes boring. On top of that I almost never seen any of the late game military because by that time the game is pretty much won.

Turning on just domination/science victory, the AI's seem content to just sit there and spam culture, and other things completely ignorant of the victory conditions.

:smith:

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!
Take the weak civs out first. Bolster and support the strongest one. When it's just the two of you remaining, let the ultimate battle commence.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

So far I've played 5 games to completion (I won't finish it out if I don't think I have any way of winning), the count is 1 culture victory and 4 diplomatic victories. I really want a conquest victory but it's so much easier to go Diplomatic.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.
I feel a bit confused right now. I thought that Great Person Tile Improvements were supposed to grant you the resources/luxuries you built them on, so as not to make you pull your hair out by having to replace them late game. But even with Masonry, I'm not getting the Marble I put my Academy on and it's making me very upset right now :(

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3

UmbreonMessiah posted:

I feel a bit confused right now. I thought that Great Person Tile Improvements were supposed to grant you the resources/luxuries you built them on, so as not to make you pull your hair out by having to replace them late game. But even with Masonry, I'm not getting the Marble I put my Academy on and it's making me very upset right now :(

I think that only works for strategic resources, so that you don't get screwed out of them when you reveal them as technology advances if you already have an academy or whatever on the tile.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Squee posted:

I think that only works for strategic resources, so that you don't get screwed out of them when you reveal them as technology advances if you already have an academy or whatever on the tile.

Bingo. You get strategic resources but not luxuries this way. Sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Speedball posted:

Bingo. You get strategic resources but not luxuries this way. Sadly.

Except for factories, right?

• Locked thread