Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Does anyone still make a Mac keyboard that isn't a slim keyboard, similar to the old Mac Pro keyboard? The only one I've found is the Tactile Pro which is like $150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

FCKGW posted:

Does anyone still make a Mac keyboard that isn't a slim keyboard, similar to the old Mac Pro keyboard? The only one I've found is the Tactile Pro which is like $150.

Yeah but it's great. I used one at my old job.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Anyone tried Monoprice's $57 mechanical w/ cherry blues? Looks super basic but for the price it might be worth a shot (when it comes off back order).

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

unpronounceable posted:

I was actually able to find a Logitech G710+ (Cherry browns) at a Best Buy, so don't rule it out completely. Whether they'll let you take it out of the box is a different story, but you might want to go take a look anyway.
Hah, I went to do exactly this but I couldn't try a demo model. :argh: I'm facing the exact same decision between red and brown, but now I'm leaning red because I suspect the pushback on browns not being linked to the precise moment of their activation would be a little bit unsatisfying in the long run. I bet they're fun to press, though.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lawen posted:

Anyone tried Monoprice's $57 mechanical w/ cherry blues? Looks super basic but for the price it might be worth a shot (when it comes off back order).
It's made by the not-as-good OEM. The basic Rosewills go on sale in $75-80 range fairly frequently, I'd only get it if you can't wait or really want to save the $20.

I think the point of buying a mechanical is not just the great feel -- I love mine too, but I've typed on some high-quality dome or scissor switch keyboards that felt nearly as good. The other big reason is their durability. Maybe some people buy three different mechanicals so they can try out the different options, but once you find the one you really like, it should last a decade. When you get 100% adapted to a keyboard switching to a new one sucks.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Has anyone bought a keyboard or keycaps from The Keyboard Company? I'm trying to find replacement keycaps for my Filco Majestouch. I'm looking for black keycaps with white lettering.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Glumwheels posted:

Has anyone bought a keyboard or keycaps from The Keyboard Company? I'm trying to find replacement keycaps for my Filco Majestouch. I'm looking for black keycaps with white lettering.

Ive done a fair bit of googling for keycap sets, I need a replacement set for my WASD and ebay seems to have the best selection. I think I'm just going to end up ordering a set directly from WASD themselves instead, as you can go completely balls out on the customisation and get the colours and lettering exactly how you'd want it (etched/lasered, font size and type etc). I can't find any printed keycap sets on The Keyboard Company, just blank ones, but the website is a bit difficult to navigate so there may be some hiding

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Looking to pick up a new keyboard and I'm debating if I should go with brown or red switches. Are there any cheaper places to pick up some sample switches than the WASD site? Those end up around $20 for me with shipping, which is a little pricey considering I only need to try a couple of them.

I'd rather test a whole keyboard of course but all we have around here are Best Buys. :/

Is this cheaper for you (I assume you were lookin at the sampler. Ebay also sells cherry mx switches of various colors)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181185570858

I really want to test a clear before my preorder gets fulfilled so I might just have to mod that

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Is this cheaper for you (I assume you were lookin at the sampler. Ebay also sells cherry mx switches of various colors)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181185570858

I really want to test a clear before my preorder gets fulfilled so I might just have to mod that

Much cheaper yes, thanks.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Astrobastard posted:

Ive done a fair bit of googling for keycap sets, I need a replacement set for my WASD and ebay seems to have the best selection. I think I'm just going to end up ordering a set directly from WASD themselves instead, as you can go completely balls out on the customisation and get the colours and lettering exactly how you'd want it (etched/lasered, font size and type etc). I can't find any printed keycap sets on The Keyboard Company, just blank ones, but the website is a bit difficult to navigate so there may be some hiding

Their website does suck but they have 2 sets in stock. With shipping from the UK, they're still cheaper than WASD so I'll probably go with them. I like the black keycaps over colored anyway.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I need a new keyboard, my current one is 30 years old and falling apart and it sounds like a crab running through a room filled with mouse traps when I type. I'd really like a wireless keyboard so i could just take it into my living room and computer seamlessly from in there but everything wireless I've found are mini tablet/media keyboards or expensive gimmicks. I'm okay with a wired keyboards but pretty much nothing reasonably priced looks like it's worth buying so what's the point in buying something wired if i'm gonna have to drop like $70 anyways? The apple wireless keyboard is somehow lookin to be the best but I really don't want to buy a small chiclet keyboard

Don't particularly care about mechanical keyboards or gaming keyboards but looks like they're the only things that aren't cheap POSes

Is there such a thing as a well-priced general use keyboard that isn't ricered out to poo poo or packed full of gimmicks?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I get some good milage from Logitech's wireless K360. Kind of in-between a miniature keyboard and the average sized keyboard with good performance and a decently durable feel to it. It's no mechanical keyboard but it does type much more quietly. If you need a pointing device with it I believe there is a model withe a built in touchpad, or you can just sync up a wireless mouse and lay it on an end table or something. Quick search on Amazon puts the K360 at 20-25 bucks.

Logitech also does bundle together wireless mouse/keyboard sets, my dad has one and a friend of mine has an updated model, and they're still alive and kicking, which surprises me since the set my dad has must be getting a few years old by now.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

nftyw posted:

I get some good milage from Logitech's wireless K360. Kind of in-between a miniature keyboard and the average sized keyboard with good performance and a decently durable feel to it. It's no mechanical keyboard but it does type much more quietly. If you need a pointing device with it I believe there is a model withe a built in touchpad, or you can just sync up a wireless mouse and lay it on an end table or something. Quick search on Amazon puts the K360 at 20-25 bucks.

Logitech also does bundle together wireless mouse/keyboard sets, my dad has one and a friend of mine has an updated model, and they're still alive and kicking, which surprises me since the set my dad has must be getting a few years old by now.

I looked at k360 but from what I could see it was really small, but if it's just a little small that doesn't sound too bad. Bonus points for being a unifying reciever device since I have a marathon mouse and I know it reaches through the wall. It's like four years old and I thought that it would have fallen apart by now after I had to take it apart but it still works. Logitech :shrug:

Still would prefer a full sized keyboard but if that means spending a hundo then gently caress it i'll buy a mini one.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

I changed my mind, I think I'm going to go for something different and get these instead for my Filco.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KBC-Blue-Dyesub-Thick-PBT-104-Keyset-Cherry-MX-Keycaps-/230968344724?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c6c94094

I want to try out these thicker keycaps and the dye sublimation since they'll wear out much slower.

Japex
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

nigga crab pollock posted:

I looked at k360 but from what I could see it was really small, but if it's just a little small that doesn't sound too bad. Bonus points for being a unifying reciever device since I have a marathon mouse and I know it reaches through the wall. It's like four years old and I thought that it would have fallen apart by now after I had to take it apart but it still works. Logitech :shrug:

Still would prefer a full sized keyboard but if that means spending a hundo then gently caress it i'll buy a mini one.

Are any of the Unicomp keyboards in your price range? If so then get one, they use the old Model M's buckling spring mechanic and they may even have the metal plates under each key, only real difference is that the plastic is sort of cheap compared to the actual Model M keyboards.

http://pckeyboard.com/page/UKBD/UB4044A

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Glumwheels posted:

I changed my mind, I think I'm going to go for something different and get these instead for my Filco.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KBC-Blue-Dyesub-Thick-PBT-104-Keyset-Cherry-MX-Keycaps-/230968344724?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c6c94094

I want to try out these thicker keycaps and the dye sublimation since they'll wear out much slower.

Jesus, $1 per key? :eyepop:

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

wa27 posted:

I'm trying to get a better price but if I can't I'll probably go with something else.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Amazon has the steelseries 6Gv2 with reds for $74

http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-6Gv2-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B008OQTGBQ

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

$91. I hate amazon.ca.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

wa27 posted:

Dyesub PBT sets are expensive, though that's more expensive than most because of the color. But even if you get in on one of the bulk group-buys that people at geekhack or deskthority organize, they're still like $50 or more for a set.

It's expensive to make keycaps that will outlast the heat death of the universe.

streetlamp posted:

Amazon has the steelseries 6Gv2 with reds for $74
Death to plus-size enter keys.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Yeah, I was considering getting one of those just because but that is where the backslash goes, sorry SteelSeries. It took me forever to get used to one when I had a keyboard with it, and forever to get used to not having one after I spilled water on that thing and serendipitously broke it.

But apart from that, screaming good deal isn't it? Those in-stock should still be the ones from the old OEM, or am I off base on that?

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Klyith posted:

Dyesub PBT sets are expensive, though that's more expensive than most because of the color. But even if you get in on one of the bulk group-buys that people at geekhack or deskthority organize, they're still like $50 or more for a set.

It's expensive to make keycaps that will outlast the heat death of the universe.

Yeah, that's why I want a set. I'm going to see if I can get in on a group buy in the next month.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yes my new keyboard arrived today, sure is a hefty and solid thing. I love the way it feels, got a Cherry Blue switch keyboard from Filco. This is what it should sound like when you are writing on a keyboard :)

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Found a 1989 Model M on verge collection a few weeks ago. It cleaned up real nice. I bought a PS/2 adapter from ebay and it finally came today.

I have arrived.

Just waiting on the two missing keycaps (PAUSE, |\) and it will be perfect.

Japex
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ron Burgundy posted:

Found a 1989 Model M on verge collection a few weeks ago. It cleaned up real nice. I bought a PS/2 adapter from ebay and it finally came today.

I have arrived.

Just waiting on the two missing keycaps (PAUSE, |\) and it will be perfect.

I hope you didn't spend too much on it!

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Missing keycaps were $1 a piece and the adaptor was $8

I'm $10 in, and already it's about 4 million times better than the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate that went back in the box.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Klyith posted:

The plus size enter key is the only thing I don't like about this old Omnikey board. Aside from that, god drat is it good (Even has doubleshot keycaps!)

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I remember using what I think was an omnikey at a community college's computer lab (it had those same peculiar led light design for the num lock/etc) and I'll be damned if the thing wasn't a treat to type on. Place also had one of the old Gateway 2000 keyboards as well, really nice stuff.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.
Even though my original post in this thread was glossed over, I decided to pick up a K70 today due to it's popularity in this thread. Coming from a Razer Lycosa it's going to be one helluva change, but here's to hoping you guys aren't wrong!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

One of the department tech guys was by the office today. I decided on a whim to ask him if there were any old mechanical/buckling spring boards off in the department's elephant graveyard of computer parts. He said he thinks there might be and that he'll take a look for me.

Here's hoping he can find something interesting. It would be pretty cool to turn up a model-m or something of that nature.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Coleman posted:

Even though my original post in this thread was glossed over, I decided to pick up a K70 today due to it's popularity in this thread. Coming from a Razer Lycosa it's going to be one helluva change, but here's to hoping you guys aren't wrong!

Same here, except I'm on an old generic HP keyboard that I've had for god knows how long and I don't even know where it came from or whose it was originally. The W and A keys are finally starting to give out after all these years so it seems like a good time to move on to something better.

After trying the key sampler I really couldn't decide between the blue or reds, so I just decided to go with the Reds since I thought the K70 looked like a really nice keyboard. Still undecided about the O-Rings, I'm going to give it a try without them first and see if it even ends up mattering to me at all.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Something to take into account with a whole board of blues is that they are REALLY noisy if that's an issue with a shared living situation, and that if you're used to the light presses of dome switches all your life you may really notice and dislike the hand fatigue they can cause in periods of extended usage.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Only reason to use o-rings on the reds, in my opinion, is if you just cannot help but be annoyed by them occasionally bottoming out. Their feel is great to type on if you're a fast typist (though drunktyping becomes a hilariously awful mess of typos) and they really are the poo poo for games if that's your thing. I could enjoy blues, I think, but seriously my wife would murder me. Only thing stopping me. She's getting her own keyboard with reds, so mutually assured destruction holds there, but if I upped the ante to buckling scissors it'd be gameover man gameover.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Got the Corsair K70 after getting bored of waiting for them to produce the one with brown switches. Feels great so far, I like the low frills approach and it's nice and narrow.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.
For you K70 guys. I tend to have poor posture when typing, my wrists are resting flat on the same level as the bottom of the keyboard, and I have a low profile keyboard right now. If anyone else does the same thing, does the wristrest feel more natural? Or did you remove it?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I love the wrist rest. I can't imagine not using it. I know some people will think me weird, but my wrists normally rest low, too, and the wrist rest is one of the reasons I opted for the k70.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Coleman posted:

For you K70 guys. I tend to have poor posture when typing, my wrists are resting flat on the same level as the bottom of the keyboard, and I have a low profile keyboard right now. If anyone else does the same thing, does the wristrest feel more natural? Or did you remove it?

When resting my wrists on my desk without the wrist rest, it actually lays relatively flat. The keyboard has a slight slope to it so your wrist alignment isn't perfectly flat but it's pretty close. I personally tend to hover my hands as I type so I never use the wrist rest on any keyboard. But when I do attach the wrist rest, it does lift your wrists high enough where you won't have that angled wrist when typing.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Also you can independently use the front and back legs to slope/raise the board how you want.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

El Scotch posted:

One of the department tech guys was by the office today. I decided on a whim to ask him if there were any old mechanical/buckling spring boards off in the department's elephant graveyard of computer parts. He said he thinks there might be and that he'll take a look for me.

Here's hoping he can find something interesting. It would be pretty cool to turn up a model-m or something of that nature.

In terms of old keyboards, even the non-buckling spring ones like the old Alps based Dell bkeyboards were pretty decent.

See: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps_SKCL/SKCM_Series
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Category:Keyboards_with_Alps_switches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
So my Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 3000 broke and I was planning on replacing it with another one but it turns out they discounted it. Is there anything similar? Namely: media keys, a couple of hot keys and non-busy, simple design.

• Locked thread