Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Marketing New Brain posted:

It is a fantastic unit, requires no special resource and hits like a ton of bricks, absolutely destroying any other mounted units. Holds its own vs Pikes, and, when upgraded into cavalry, lancers. One of the better UUs to be sure.

Seconding this, Naresuan's Elephants scare the poo poo out of me whenever I see them massed up on my border. They take an outrageous amount of punishment to put down, especially if you don't have tech parity with them. They're kinda like Impis or any Japanese unit in that you have to let them push you back and try to avoid contact while you deal with them, unlike normal armies where you just shoot them to pieces as you advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I see lots of discussion of Venice and the Shoshone, but has anyone played around with Morocco?

It seems like Petra + Kasbah(s) could make an *insanely* good city if you got a good mix of desert hills to build on.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Jedit posted:

Your problem was that you put your melee units behind the ranged units. You want the melee to be next to the target so they can hit it when the time comes.

Also so your gun bunnies don't get trampled by elephants.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Speedball posted:

Just tested out Heathen Conversion a few minutes ago. My one missionary has converted five or six barbarians in five turns, including one galley, just by bumping into them. It seems like a good way to get a cheap army really quickly and a no-hassle way of killing barbarians at the same time. Early-game you could use it to make your forces swell. It also immediately destroys a barb camp. Late-game, though, I can see this ability becoming obsolete. You'd need to play with a heavy military-religion focus to get the most out of it.

The only problem was, I needed to neglect both Tradition and Liberty to get Piety this far unlocked this fast. Probably should have taken just the Tradition opener first. Some other civs like to prioritize going full piety as soon as they can, and that takes away reformation beliefs.

Strange. I've had my missionary parked next to a barbarian encampment and unit for 3 turns now and nothing. They aren't attacking, but they aren't being converted either. I should note that I'm NOT the founder of the religion, only that it spread to me. Do I not get the reformation belief bonus?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Marketing New Brain posted:

Decided to try Brazil, on Immortal as my first time since they looked awful. Turns out their improvement is fantastic, and you can just change golden ages late game, allowing insane tourism, which since you are not cutting jungles, they also wind up with crazy science after universities. This was the first time I actually achieved a cultural victory before the council vote.

Trying my second Brazil game now. Had a good spawn, except that most of the luxuries are in non Jungled areas. :(

This game forced me to pick the first perk in the military policy. Massive loving swarm of barbarians. Glad you get Culture for killing them, at least.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
Has anyone actually completed the Parthenon in their games? It seems like the AI puts an unreasonably high priority on the drat thing. Maybe it's just that I don't get Drama & Poetry immediately, but I've never seen Parthenon show up in my build list for more than a few turns before someone else finishes it.

Also, I think I'm done with Liberty. I've tried it the last few games, and the start is so anemic compared to Tradition it's not even funny. With all the per-city penalties, too, holding more than four or five seems unfeasible until you're really well established anyway.

LaserShark fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 30, 2013

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Hahahaha both of my neighbours declared war on me the very last turn of the game after I won the world leader vote. Like why even loving bother, piss off.

monkeymagic
Aug 10, 2004
He is Trampling the Unrighteous with Hooves of Hot Iron
Sorry if its been mentioned before but if I want to play Civ 5 with Brave New World can I just buy Brave New World or do I have to buy the original and then get the 2nd expansion?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Buy the Gold edition and BNW.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Speedball posted:

This achievement is bugged, too. I managed to get it without any German Archaeologist anywhere near me while digging in Egypt.

I'm not complaining because otherwise it would have been really impossible to get that last condition...

I think I read on Civfanatics that there just needs to be "something" German nearby, be it a random unit or even just a territory hex.

AG3 posted:

Is the CN Tower wonder bugged or is it supposed to be a terrible wonder? It gives all your cities a free Broadcast Tower, which in turn is a 33% culture boost per city. However, in my last game as the Shoshone I noticed that my culture actually dropped instead of increased after building it, and after some reloading and checking it seems that the CN Tower's broadcast towers don't have the 33% culture boost, and any city with regular broadcast towers getting replaced by the CN Tower's will lose their 33% culture boost bonus.

You do get the bonus population per city, but that's not worth the culture loss.

It's bugged: it seems you only keep the culture boost if the original Broadcast Tower had a GWoMusic in it when the CN Tower finished.

Jolan fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 30, 2013

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Portugal is a pretty good Civ.

Feitorias are pretty sweet especially if you find some of the CSs that have the unique luxuries like porcelain, I have a copy of every normal luxury and one of porcelain in my game thanks to this.

The Nau are pretty cool too, each Nau basically gets a free level and gives you 100-200 gold thanks to their Exotic goods promotion.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
I think the game would benefit from adding the simple line "Make some loving naval units" somewhere in the AI because I never am contested on the seas. Makes playing continents (my favorite map) really trivial if you can conquer any coastal city with 3 frigates and a caravel.
They should remove the relations bonus you get from being friends with the same civs. Its way too easy to become friends with everyone this way. Also is there even a malus if a civ pleads to me for help and I tell them to gently caress off? And what the hell is the deal with civs being at war me and still remaining friendly afterward I submit them to horrible peace conditions??? Bleh.. Firaxis done great with BNW but there's plenty left to improve :(

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Geokinesis posted:

The Nau are pretty cool too, each Nau basically gets a free level and gives you 100-200 gold thanks to their Exotic goods promotion.

Is that all? I don't know if giving you the equivalent of one or two turns' revenue one single time after sailing to a faraway civilization's shore is a really great unique unit gimmick.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

thehumandignity posted:

Is that all? I don't know if giving you the equivalent of one or two turns' revenue one single time after sailing to a faraway civilization's shore is a really great unique unit gimmick.

Better than just a ship though, I'd rather have one that gives me money than not. Also 200 gold a turn at when you get a Nau isn't going to be likely unless you are Venice on a sea map.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
It also has +1 movement.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Geokinesis posted:

Better than just a ship though, I'd rather have one that gives me money than not. Also 200 gold a turn at when you get a Nau isn't going to be likely unless you are Venice on a sea map.

That's why I said 1-2. And yeah it's obviously not nothing, but just compared to other civs' UU's it may as well be. Their unique improvement might make up for it, though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

thehumandignity posted:

Not only that, but who builds more than a couple caravels? Privateers are where it’s at.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Platystemon posted:

Not only that, but who builds more than a couple caravels? Privateers are where it’s at.

Nobody builds caravels. At most you build a trireme early on, upgrade it to caravel, then set to "explore" and forget you have it.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I try to have a small fleet as soon as they're available. Like 3-5, though mostly from upgraded triremes. Being able to cross oceans and quickly discover all the civs so I can host the world congress makes early caravels more important imo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I build them on marathon speed to protect shipping lanes and discover civs.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Platystemon posted:

Not only that, but who builds more than a couple caravels?

Someone whose Caravels are half price to buy?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
The feitoria is okay, but only under certain circumstances. There's maybe two eras between where you are exploring the whole world and discovering all the CSs and where you don't quite have enough money to buy out every single CS, and in that time you hafta cart your worker all the way over to wherever those CSs are located. Then when you are swimming in enough money, maybe in early industrial, the feitoria becomes a wash.

e: It would definitely be much more useful if it were available from an earlier era.

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 30, 2013

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Suleiman might as he has the prize ships on melee ships promotion.

(Also me, I like having coastal raiders :shobon:)

Choray
Oct 31, 2009

e: Need more coffee to not read things wrong

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
I finished my first game of Brave New World the other day. I played as Poland. I too, ended up declaring war in order to hold concerts in the last holdout Civ of my culture victory. I call this the Top Secret! victory.

I was sweating Greece the entire game. I thought the threshold of 35 votes for diplomatic victory on a large map was pretty dang low, and ended up spending much of my considerable income to denying him city state alliances. Question: can CSes gift you GWs & GMs? That seems like it would be a pretty insane boost.

I'm trying a game as Attila now. Starting with animal husbandry poses a curious dilemma now that it unlocks a trade route. I put off building my caravan, thinking it seemed very un-Attila to run trade, but I really ended up regretting it, as I was breaking even / slightly in the red for so much of the early game.

I'm trying to figure out how much I should be culturing in a game like this one. It seems like if you want to build more than monuments, you have to be cranking creative GPs to put works in your buildings. I definitely don't want to do that, so I'm hoping I can make enough culture off conquered cities alone.

Conquest is kind of my worst way to play as I can never seem to keep up technologically.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

I was sweating Greece the entire game. I thought the threshold of 35 votes for diplomatic victory on a large map was pretty dang low, and ended up spending much of my considerable income to denying him city state alliances. Question: can CSes gift you GWs & GMs? That seems like it would be a pretty insane boost.

I've definitely been gifted a Great Merchant with full Patronage, yeah. Hilariously, it was as Venice, so I was a bit amused. "oh boy, a great merchant, lemme get excited."

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I see lots of discussion of Venice and the Shoshone, but has anyone played around with Morocco?

It seems like Petra + Kasbah(s) could make an *insanely* good city if you got a good mix of desert hills to build on.

There were a pile of CRAZY GOOD MOROCCO shots earlier in the thread.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

LaserShark posted:

Has anyone actually completed the Parthenon in their games? It seems like the AI puts an unreasonably high priority on the drat thing. Maybe it's just that I don't get Drama & Poetry immediately, but I've never seen Parthenon show up in my build list for more than a few turns before someone else finishes it.

Also, I think I'm done with Liberty. I've tried it the last few games, and the start is so anemic compared to Tradition it's not even funny. With all the per-city penalties, too, holding more than four or five seems unfeasible until you're really well established anyway.

I just got it as Brazil on Immortal, the AI doesn't rush to it, it is just a low priority tech for most civs. Don't bother on Deity, every wonder besides Petra and Oracle are always off the table before medieval, and you can't get Chichen Itza without burning a GE (I missed it by a mile as Brazil.)

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Get last spaceship part to the capital city, expend every nuke in the arsenal on everyone in range, get on ship and get out of the hell hole you just created. Best way to win the game

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Rushing a Wonder with a GE and still geating beat :shepicide:

^^ Can global warming happen in Civ5?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

BadLlama posted:

Get last spaceship part to the capital city, expend every nuke in the arsenal on everyone in range, get on ship and get out of the hell hole you just created. Best way to win the game

If you're playing for a Science victory, this is the only way to go out. "Enjoy winter, shitheads!"

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Desert start bias + Petra + Kasbahs + Desert Folklore is absolutely ridiculous. My little 3 city empire (plus London and Seoul later) was easily able to outspend Alexander for City-State Allies and dominate the World Congress, eventually winning the first election for world leader. And I was well on my way to a cultural victory besides.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

LaserShark posted:

It usually goes in the mid 70s on Immortal but I've seen it delayed until past 90 when the right mix of civs is in the game (mostly warmongers). The few times I've wanted it I've been able to get it by going straight to Drama and Poetry but as with most early wonders you'll have to go all-in to get it by using the pantheon/tradition/marble bonus and/or chop trees.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
My favorite is to stockpile nukes and then ram through non proliferation treaties.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

My favorite is to stockpile nukes and then ram through non proliferation treaties.

The only time I was able to stockpile nukes was when I play Russia and get 2x as much uranium from nodes. Feels like any other game despite how much territory I may have I only get one god drat node in the entire thing and have to trade to get more.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Is it just me, or is it no longer possible to get a Science victory without a deadlock in the XXX Movie Festival World Congress? I don't see it being feasible to research and build a spaceship before the World Leader vote triggers.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Jedit posted:

Is it just me, or is it no longer possible to get a Science victory without a deadlock in the XXX Movie Festival World Congress? I don't see it being feasible to research and build a spaceship before the World Leader vote triggers.

No it's no longer possible since the World Congress vote triggers as soon as anyone hits the information age. If you timed it well you'd be able to get about 30 turns before the vote though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jedit posted:

I did it my first BNW game, but the circumstances might qualify as extraordinary. I popped four or five great scientist to get the last techs and had the Freedom policy that allowed me to purchase spaceship parts with gold. And I still only beat the world leader vote (which I would have won in a landslide) by two turns.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Jedit posted:

One of the things I like about BNW is it seems like you need to do more to pro-actively block victory by the other players compared with G&K. Culture to counter tourism, harder to ignore City States. Probably the one you can do the least about now though is the space race since if they're on the other side of the world you can't prevent it. But yeah you gotta make sure you don't let someone run away with the lion's share of city states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

I've definitely been gifted a Great Merchant with full Patronage, yeah. Hilariously, it was as Venice, so I was a bit amused. "oh boy, a great merchant, lemme get excited."

Last time I played as Greece I maxed out Patronage and somehow a city state gifted me a Great Merchant - not just any Merchant, a freaking Merchant of Venice. Didn't even know that was possible. I ended up not using his special ability because I didn't want to lose the city state's vote in any case.

• Locked thread