Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

greatn posted:

And Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3 not being "system sellers" whatever the hell that means

I bet you know exactly what that means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Zomodok posted:

Why is it that when Nintendo delays something it's called "The Nintendo Love" but when literally anybody else does it there is development problems and the game will turn out to poo poo

I can't think of a delayed Nintendo game that wasn't at least good.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Heran Bago posted:

Probably Ocarina of Time. I wonder what Wind Waker or Mario Sunshine would have been like with more "Nintendo Love."

A bit better?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Kurtofan posted:

I can't think of a delayed Nintendo game that wasn't at least good.

Geist, Game and Wario.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
And I mean look how Twilight Princess turned out!

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Cyra posted:

I personally didn't think it was that bad. Not my favourite Zelda game but still good

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Valve and Blizzard are both also famous for long development times that ultimately lead to really good games. Nintendo doesn't have that monopolized.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cyra posted:

Don't even have to go back that far. Skyward Sword was horrible.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Bovineicide posted:

tldr: Nintendo doesn't have any killer-apps until March. New consoles come out in November. Worst bomb for them since Virtual Boy.

From August through December there's 1-2 quality exclusives coming out per month, it's kind of wacky to wave your arms at that and say "NOPE THE UPCOMING SCHEDULE IS BARREN".

Also, Twilight Princess was better than Skyward Sword.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Fallom posted:

I bet you know exactly what that means.

No, let him keep going! I'm waiting for him to claim that the Wii U will do great once X or Bayonetta 2 come out :allears:

Supercar Gautier posted:

From August through December there's 1-2 quality exclusives coming out per month, it's kind of wacky to wave your arms at that and say "NOPE THE UPCOMING SCHEDULE IS BARREN".

Yeah, but they do mean gently caress all this late in the game because none of them are Smash, Kart, a new Zelda, or an actual, honest-to-god new Mario game.

Bovineicide fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 30, 2013

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

There needs to be a balance of quality and quantity, to keep the early supporters engaged and satisfied and the line up becomes more appeal to potential buyers. It's been said before but Nintendo should really have been better prepared for the 1st year in terms of their title line up, HD development should at least have been researched for the past 5 years rather than repeating the same mistakes as Sony and Microsoft last time. Quality titles like Pikmin 3 and W101 help make the system stand out and satisfy the current audience, but they will sadly not grab as many people like say a big Legend Of Zelda title. Important nonetheless otherwise you'll just cheese off your buyers.

I know only one friend who has a Wii U (I don't have one) but he's a bit bored waiting for titles to arrive, so delays are not always the best thing so if you do have to delay a big game, at least be sure something great is coming along soon for the system.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Valve and Blizzard also never announce anything anymore unless it's basically done, a tactic Nintendo has started using as of late, excepting the "launch window" games.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Twilight Princess was the only Zelda game outside of Phantom Hourglass that I could not force myself to finish. There was something about it that was pretty soulless. I am guessing that it was the huge overworld because there was a huge overworld with absolutely nothing to do in it. It also felt like the towns were underdeveloped.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Strange Matter posted:

Maybe because when most other companies delay games endlessly they still come out bad, but when Nintendo delays games they are usually good?

The shine has been wearing off that penny since Twilight Princess though, proving that Nintendo isn't immune from genuine development issues; Pikmin may prove otherwise but I haven't played it yet, nor will I until the WiiU gets a price drop.

Yeah twilight princess getting delayed all the way until the Wii launch was pretty bad, since the game I feel suffered for it. I feel the same about skyward sword but with that game it was probably delayed to make the controls more refined. Both games are just pretty bloated though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Twilight Princess was the only Zelda game outside of Phantom Hourglass that I could not force myself to finish. There was something about it that was pretty soulless. I am guessing that it was the huge overworld because there was a huge overworld with absolutely nothing to do in it. It also felt like the towns were underdeveloped.

That was definitely the case. It also didn't help that the game played loads better on the Gamecube than it did on the Wii for the simple fact that slashing wasn't so crap. I remember when I traded it in like 2 days after launch and I said I thought it was pretty bad the guy behind the counter looked like I shot his dog.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Bovineicide posted:

Yeah, but they do mean gently caress all this late in the game because none of them are Smash, Kart, a new Zelda, or an actual, honest-to-god new Mario game.

But here for some reason you're selectively defining 3D World as "not a new Mario game".

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Barudak posted:

That was definitely the case. It also didn't help that the game played loads better on the Gamecube than it did on the Wii for the simple fact that slashing wasn't so crap. I remember when I traded it in like 2 days after launch and I said I thought it was pretty bad the guy behind the counter looked like I shot his dog.

I still get weird looks because I say I hated twilight princess, apparently the game was a goddamn masterpiece because almost everyone I know personally loved the poo poo out of it, but I didn't. Also when I say the game looks very blurry and ugly I get weird looks as well. It's just like how can you say it looks great when it's just so bloomy and brown?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
At least Twilight Princess was the initial key to a world of homebrew.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

DarthBlingBling posted:

At least Twilight Princess was the initial key to a world of homebrew.

There you go. I know it doesn't have mass appeal but a real game and system-seller for me would be homebrew. The kind that makes it so I can rip my games so I don't have to worry about scratches and modify their files so I can play fan created levels and translations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PonchAxis posted:

I still get weird looks because I say I hated twilight princess, apparently the game was a goddamn masterpiece because almost everyone I know personally loved the poo poo out of it, but I didn't. Also when I say the game looks very blurry and ugly I get weird looks as well. It's just like how can you say it looks great when it's just so bloomy and brown?

God it was so, so brown. I remember loading it up and wondering why nobody was talking about how incredibly ugly that game was. The whole thing plays like somebody put a grainy, brown filter over everything and it gives the whole world this dingy, dirty run-down look which certainly matched the lack of content. Traveling was terrible too because like 90% of the overworld was brown rocks, lighter brown dirt, or beige sand.

Edit: To go from Wind Waker which was colorful and gorgeous to Twilight Princess was rough.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Zomodok posted:

Don't even have to go back that far. Skyward Sword was horrible.
Skyward Sword didn't suffer nearly as many delays as Twilight Princess did. Whatever problems that game has, real or imagined, I don't think they stem for being in development for too long. You can't say the same thing about Twilight Princess, where there's a very obvious point where you can tell Nintendo changed direction midstream.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I vastly preferred Wind Waker and Skyward Sword to Twilight Princess.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

But here for some reason you're selectively defining 3D World as "not a new Mario game".

Because it's not a new Mario game. We already played it on the 3DS. This is what I'm talking about when I say that Nintendo's been focusing on the quick, easy to poo poo out games as opposed to something genuinely new. Yes, games like that have high attach rates, but they don't move consoles.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Heran Bago posted:

There you go. I know it doesn't have mass appeal but a real game and system-seller for me would be homebrew. The kind that makes it so I can rip my games so I don't have to worry about scratches and modify their files so I can play fan created levels and translations.

Did the sales of games on the DS and Wii drop dramatically after the Wii was hacked open and the R4DS was made so user friendly their granny could use it?

Also what is the right price for the Wii U? At the moment it's pretty cheap in the UK.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

Bovineicide posted:

Because it's not a new Mario game. We already played it on the 3DS. This is what I'm talking about when I say that Nintendo's been focusing on the quick, easy to poo poo out games as opposed to something genuinely new. Yes, games like that have high attach rates, but they don't move consoles.

On the contrary, they do move consoles so you're flat wrong there, regardless of how unintuitive or genre breaking the game may be. I'm with you 100% on it being more or less a rehashing and melding of past ideas but they absolutely do move consoles.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Louisgod posted:

On the contrary, they do move consoles so you're flat wrong there, regardless of how unintuitive or genre breaking the game may be. I'm with you 100% on it being more or less a rehashing and melding of past ideas but they absolutely do move consoles.
And the thing is that those are exactly the kinds of games that Sony or MS would rely on third parties to bring to the table, but since Nintendo is the only company that is invested in the WiiU they need to build those games themselves and take the flack for doing it. I'm sure that Nintendo would love to produce nothing but time consuming passion projects, but because they are a developer in addition to being a console maker, they don't have that luxury.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Bovineicide posted:

Well, it's not a port of the 3DS game, so I have to ask, which Mario games were new, and which weren't? Was Galaxy 2 not a new Mario game? How about SMB3? I don't think your definition is making much sense beyond being convenient.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
What exactly was so bad about Skyward Sword? I never played it because I thought Twilight Princess was so awful.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

What exactly was so bad about Skyward Sword? I never played it because I thought Twilight Princess was so awful.

Never ending tutorials, occassionaly for things you've already done, and sword swinging finesse cuts that never work quite as well as the game seems to think they do.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

blackguy32 posted:

About 50% of people who played it had so much trouble with the motion controls as to make it virtually unplayable. That's probably the biggest thing. In addition the game has no illusions of open-worldness, and Nintendo's attempt to make the overworld (what there is of it) integrated into the dungeons didn't really pay off.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

blackguy32 posted:

I have it. Seems like a good game, but I hate waggle controls

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Barudak posted:

Never ending tutorials, occassionaly for things you've already done, and sword swinging finesse cuts that never work quite as well as the game seems to think they do.

Don't forget that new companion that would put Navi to shame that you couldn't skip past or ignore.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Louisgod posted:

Do you see it moving consoles against the PS4 and XB1 launches, though?

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

It seems bizarre for people to be arguing about games having longer development time. Rushed games are generally really bad and I imagine most gamers are aware of that. So why complain when something gets pushed? Let the developers take their time and finish the game they wanted to make rather than putting something out that they know will have issues. And no, I wouldn't want them to just patch it later, I want them to release a full game that delivers what it promises.

When somebody says "It'll be out by X date" and adheres to that and the game is obviously rushed, I think that's a bigger problem than them coming out and saying "Just wait a few more months", entitlement issues in gamers cause games to get rushed.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
For the record for every person who says that Skyward Sword is an unplayable disaster, there is another person who says that it's their favorite Zelda game. Arguing the respective merits or deficits of the franchise is a task so futile that it makes Sisyphus stop for a moment and put things in perspective.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Skyward sword is a good game. The motion controls aren't perfect, but it works pretty well most of the time, and it is integrated with regular gameplay in a way that I found engrossing. Some of the sword fights are really intense and fun. There are some excellent boss fights, and excellent music. It's not perfect though, some times the motion controls get out of alignment and you have to 'center' the wii-mote a few times every play session, but it's no reason to pretend the game is poo poo.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Bovineicide posted:

Where were you when the DS was new and all it really had in its first year was a remake of Super Mario 64? Which was literally Mario 64 with extra characters and stars.

And even that moved consoles :smug:

Bovineicide posted:

Do you see it moving consoles against the PS4 and XB1 launches, though?

The DS sure seemed to survive the year of the 360 and PSP's launches :smuggo: I'm pretty sure 3D World alone's going to sell enough to buy Miyamoto a yacht made out of diamondized printer ink and cocaine.

gay skull fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 30, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ohnoitschris posted:

The DS sure seemed to survive the year of the 360 and PSP's launches :smuggo:

The 360 isn't a competitor to the DS in a direct sense and the PSP launched at around 100 dollars more than the DS with an even weaker library and a battery life so pathetic the Sega Nomad looked spry.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

ohnoitschris posted:

The DS sure seemed to survive the year of the 360 and PSP's launches :smuggo:
That's a poor comparison because the 360 was never a competitor to the DS and the PSP was an overpriced piece of hardware with no prior userbase to rely on. To think that the WiiU's situation is going to be even remotely similar is ignorant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

ohnoitschris posted:

Where were you when the DS was new and all it really had in its first year was a remake of Super Mario 64? Which was literally Mario 64 with extra characters and stars.

And even that moved consoles :c00lbutt:

Nintendo had no one to compete with but themselves as far as handhelds go until the PSP was released :v:

edit: even then, I don't think the PSP really gave it a run for its money outside of Japan, did it?

Supercar Gautier posted:

Well, it's not a port of the 3DS game, so I have to ask, which Mario games were new, and which weren't? Was Galaxy 2 not a new Mario game? How about SMB3? I don't think your definition is making much sense beyond being convenient.

If you can't tell the difference between games with new mechanics and art assets vs. games that are pretty much recycled, you're being willfully dense at this point.

Bovineicide fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 30, 2013

• Locked thread