Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Sirveaux posted:

This just showed up in my Facebook feed:

You're not supposed to blow your own doors off.

edit: been street parked 5 years, going by the stickers:

Very rare in the US, I imagine.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Very rare everywhere these days, especially in such good condition.

I'm so jealous of the owner right now, it hurts.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
When is a burnout the best burnout?

When the driver doesn't stop until the steel rim starts to come apart.

http://youtu.be/unwujSVpZwA

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

How red in the neck do you suppose they are? Good Lawd!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sirveaux posted:

This just showed up in my Facebook feed:

Doors? Where we're going, we don't need doors.:rimshot:

Chevy?

Three orange Opel GTs!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Was bored on Sunday after doing a 8.2km fun run, so went for a drive. Came across a sign pointing to a car museum in a small town. So checked it out. I wasn't expecting much, probably a small collection of Australian cars and some imports, but I was proven very wrong

Album: https://plus.google.com/photos/103600626374349588703/albums/5905950927573270993?authkey=CNXrorqm7b6DDw

Out the front was a Reliant Robin! And it wasn't owned by the museum either.

Subaru 360! Never seen one in my life, the museum is getting better

A Reliant, but can't remember the model. Not a Kitten.

DAF car with the first production CVT transmission. Look at the size of the belts!

Not one, but two Tatras! I have never seen one in my life, so seeing two in one location is pretty amazing. The owner of the museum has a later model Tatra in his garage that he is working on

One of many Studebakers that the owner had. Including a strange four door Avanti

Another car that I have never seen in the flesh, a Nash Metropolitan!

The museum has a ton of post WW2 economy cars, including this Bond Bug

The Lightburn Zeta - when an Australian washing machine company thinks it can make a car

Messerschmidt! Looks so tiny alongside the 1947 Plymouth. Even tiny compared to the Trojan behind it.

Studebaker Zip-Van

Wartburg! Surprised any had survived East Germany

Talking about East German, here's a very battered Trabant rally car

This Hudson Super Wasp was in its own room, you could only see it through small windows. Not sure why.

And the Sinclair C5

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

You Am I posted:

Including a strange four door Avanti

Please tell me you got some pictures of this...

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

'56, yes.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Both awesome and horrible. This might end up being mine.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

What's with the shift gate pattern? Obviously reverse is the offset gear to the top left, but is 1st gear below that, where 2nd gear would normally be in most cars?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

The Midniter posted:

What's with the shift gate pattern? Obviously reverse is the offset gear to the top left, but is 1st gear below that, where 2nd gear would normally be in most cars?

Yes. In racing you spend more time shifting between 2nd and 3rd, than from 1st to second.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog-leg_gearbox

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

You Am I posted:

Out the front was a Reliant Robin! And it wasn't owned by the museum either.
That's actually a Rialto, which replaced the earlier Robin, though there is a later model where they resurrected the Robin name.

You Am I posted:

A Reliant, but can't remember the model. Not a Kitten.
Late fifties Regal.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Randomly spotted on imgur.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

It's OK, you can admit to reading reddit.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Brian Cranston is a badass.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Motronic posted:

It's OK, you can admit to reading reddit.

Haha, in all seriousness I was opening the imgur app on my phone to upload a picture and saw it in the most recent uploads and thought it was a great picture.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Just 3 things from the first cruise night Ive been to in years. First one my truck has been to and I forgot to take a picture :/

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Q_res posted:

Please tell me you got some pictures of this...

Sadly it was tucked up in a corner. The best photo of it is behind the white Rytecraft in my gallery link

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Gassers are pretty awesome :)

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Devyl posted:

I'm going to my favorite show all year this weekend where there will be tons of those, I can't wait. Some from last year:

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009

Devyl posted:

What're they for? Wheelies? I don't understand the purpose of the front lift, or much else for that matter.

unrelated,

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

You Am I posted:

Was bored on Sunday after doing a 8.2km fun run, so went for a drive. Came across a sign pointing to a car museum in a small town. So checked it out. I wasn't expecting much, probably a small collection of Australian cars and some imports, but I was proven very wrong

Where abouts is this? I don't think I've ever seen or heard of it before

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

This last one is a replica altered wheelbase car. I found an article on the build. They took a foot out of the wheelbase without changing the overall length of the body.

http://moparmax.com/tech/i_5-wheel-1.html

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

nnnnghhhhgnnngh posted:

What're they for? Wheelies? I don't understand the purpose of the front lift, or much else for that matter.

To be totally bad-rear end and awesome. The entire concept of the gasser was to go against the trend of sleek low cars on the strip and to piss off the neighbors at 3 in the morning on your way back. Read this.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Was on the way to my honeymoon with MY GIRLFRIEND MY WIFE and inadvertently joined the Monte Shelton classic NW whatever rally. Being stuck in traffic behind a C1 Vette and 3.0 CS isn't awful, especially considering that there was a 246 Dino three cars back that I didn't get a pic of because I'm a tool

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

OptimusMatrix posted:

Brian Cranston is a badass.

Dude cosplayed his own character (with uncanny-valley silicone mask) at Comic-Con. Eventually pulled off the mask, and it's The Man Himself, but with more hair. Then he held up the mask and looked into its eyes, Hamlet-style. That's a win in my book.

In other news, one of my coworkers owns an orange neo-Charger just like this one:

I've already told her "If you come out for a smoke break one day and find a big blue '01' on your door, it totally wasn't me."

I figure I've got a good three years to source the graphics before she retires, and I'll have advance notice to go out and slap it on because we pass the hat and get a cake for everybody on their last day.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

sadnessboner posted:

Where abouts is this? I don't think I've ever seen or heard of it before
Here's the site for the museum: http://charliesautomuseum.com.au/

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

blk posted:

Was on the way to my honeymoon with MY GIRLFRIEND MY WIFE and inadvertently joined the Monte Shelton classic NW whatever rally. Being stuck in traffic behind a C1 Vette and 3.0 CS isn't awful, especially considering that there was a 246 Dino three cars back that I didn't get a pic of because I'm a tool

Very cool - but that's definitely a 2nd Generation Corvette.

C1 (from a model year 1960 car):

C2:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

MrSaturn posted:

Very cool - but that's definitely a 2nd Generation Corvette.

No, it's not. It's a little confusing because the last couple years of the first-gen cars had a very similar rear-end design to the 2nd-gen stuff, but the 63 was the first year of the C2 Vettes. The picture you posted as a C2 is even a C1.

It goes C1, then C2 in 1963, C3 in 1968, C4 in 1984 and so on.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Was doing a photo shoot this weekend and found this. Not sure if there are any plans for it, apparently the engine is shot, but it sure was pretty.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It really is, and "the engine is shot" is a piss-poor excuse for not having it running. After all, every 350 on Craigslist came "out of a Corvette" :haw:

Seriously, though, the second-gen Corvette is one of the prettiest cars of all time and to me it's a bit of a shame it was such a short-lived model. Not that I mind the early C3, though - chrome bumper C3s are on the same level, and I suppose have an even shorter production run than the C2.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

It really is, and "the engine is shot" is a piss-poor excuse for not having it running. After all, every 350 on Craigslist came "out of a Corvette" :haw:

You know, it's entirely possible that someone shot the engine. I have lots of redneck friends and it wouldn't be the first time I saw a car that had bee fired upon.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Devyl posted:

To be totally bad-rear end and awesome. The entire concept of the gasser was to go against the trend of sleek low cars on the strip and to piss off the neighbors at 3 in the morning on your way back. Read this.

This totally makes me imagine Gassers as being the Hipsters of the car world.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Random bit of :spergin: but I like to pronounce imgur image-ooaah, like the German root for "original" or "old" such as in Ur-S4.

Here's an E30 racecar as a prize for reading that idiotic post:

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 30, 2013

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I always pronounce it as a single word, Imager.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

IOwnCalculus posted:

Seriously, though, the second-gen Corvette is one of the prettiest cars of all time and to me it's a bit of a shame it was such a short-lived model. Not that I mind the early C3, though - chrome bumper C3s are on the same level, and I suppose have an even shorter production run than the C2.

Just imagine buying a fully optioned out C2 Corvette back when it was arguably the most advanced sports car anywhere:

"4 wheel vented disc brakes, fully independent suspension, lightweight alloy wheels, fuel injection, limited slip differential, fully synchronized gearbox, 3,200 pounds and 375 horsepower. What's that Axis shitbox got?" :911::respek::chord:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
One of the guys I work with just sold his 65 Vette for 25k :( He said he had 3 full price offers on it within 10 minutes of putting it on craigslist. I wanted to slap him for selling a loving 65 vette on craigslist for about half it's value. Also, he has owned it for the last 30 years.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Devyl posted:

I thought gassers came about as a way to move as much weight as possible onto the rear tires at launch? Lifted front end, moving the axles forward in relation to the chassis, etc.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I always pronounce it as a single word, Imager.

But it's not ev-

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
This would nomally go in CA but I wanted to share with my 4 wheel bretheren too. Moto Guzzi 500cc V8.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 31, 2013