Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Yeast posted:

Yes, fixed. We don't see anymore coming to the bar with the issue, only if they haven't updated.

No other major/minor issues.

Have you had anyone coming in with the 2013 13" MBA sort of making a weird popping sound?

The frame on mine keeps making a sound that sort of sounds like the trackpad clicking (but it's not). I was thinking about bringing it in but it's only reproducible sometimes, so they might just think I'm crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

autojive posted:

Nope. If you have login set on your machine, the drivers for the card will be loaded by that time and your screen(s) will come on. What I mean by boot screen is what you see when you first turn the Pro on and you see the gray screen with the apple logo (Looks like this). You can also hold down the option key to select which system folder to boot from there as well and that functionality will go away with a 3rd party card.

I never had that much of an issue with it anyway since I can boot, select my startup folder/partition from the startup disk preference, and reboot into Windows in less than a minute.

Right now, if I replace the video card, that's looking like the best option (keeping around my 5770 in a box somewhere if there's a need for it).

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
I'm going to upgrade my late 2012 iMac memory and stuff an SSD in it this weekend. Anyone done it yet?

A pizza cutter should not be a pc repair tool.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Quine Connoisseur posted:

Have you had anyone coming in with the 2013 13" MBA sort of making a weird popping sound?

The frame on mine keeps making a sound that sort of sounds like the trackpad clicking (but it's not). I was thinking about bringing it in but it's only reproducible sometimes, so they might just think I'm crazy.

It's probably just the magnetic pieces attached to the bottom case clicking into place.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Polymerized Cum posted:

I'm going to upgrade my late 2012 iMac memory and stuff an SSD in it this weekend. Anyone done it yet?

A pizza cutter should not be a pc repair tool.

Hope you got replacement tape to put your machine back together, iMacs look horrible with giant rubber bands around them.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Has anyone else noticed this issue with their magsafe power cord? I'm not sure if the yellowing is due to a slight bend in the cord that sometimes occurs or if there is an electrical/wiring issue that is going to cause a fire.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is that where you normally grab the cord to unplug your computer? It could just be oils etc from your fingers.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Not that I can really think of, but this can happen to any of the Unibodies. Their bottom plate can sometimes not be seated correctly, does it happen if you press lightly in the centre of the plate when the machine is off the desk?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Is that where you normally grab the cord to unplug your computer? It could just be oils etc from your fingers.

No.. it doesn't get unplugged much from the computer end and I typically grab the actual connecting piece. Non-smoker also so definitely not nicotine.

I'll just run it to an Apple store later this week if noone else has seen it on theirs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Try some 409 or other cleaner like Fantastik on a paper towel and try to wipe it off

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Yeast posted:

Not that I can really think of, but this can happen to any of the Unibodies. Their bottom plate can sometimes not be seated correctly, does it happen if you press lightly in the centre of the plate when the machine is off the desk?

No, it happens when I press on the palmrests on either side of the trackpad. I actually took the bottom plate off and reseated it, but guess I'll have to get it looked at.

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 31, 2013

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bob Morales posted:

Apparently, Hell hath frozen over. Ars has a review of the loving Belkin Thunderbolt Dock.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/07/review-belkins-299-thunderbolt-express-dock-works-well-costs-lots/

Bottom line is that it works great, and even works in Windows except for the USB 3.0 ports not getting recognized. The USB 3.0 ports on the Mac only run at 2.5Gbs instead of 5.0Gbs, but that should only matter if you've got some RAID or SSD setup.

I'm pretty disappointed with the Belkin dock. Only one extra Thunderbolt port and no DVI, HDMI or VGA connector on it restrict it for people who want to use additional monitors as well as TB external HDDs or other TB dongles

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

You Am I posted:

I'm pretty disappointed with the Belkin dock. Only one extra Thunderbolt port and no DVI, HDMI or VGA connector on it restrict it for people who want to use additional monitors as well as TB external HDDs or other TB dongles

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't external thunderbolt devices have to have two ports (one input, one output) by design? I thought the way thunderbolt works is that you can daisy-chain x-number of devices (with any mini display port- or the equivalent- displays at the end of the chain) but you couldn't branch them or run them in parallel off of a single thunderbolt chip the way you can by plugging a USB hub into one port.

I'm pretty sure that the only way you can run multiple chains of thunderbolt devices is if there are multiple separate ports on the motherboard to begin with- like on the 15" MBP/iMac/Vader Mac Pro.

The lack of other video connectors is kind of lovely, though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
There's a few single port devices, basically limited to being on the end of a chain if you have multiple devices. Pretty sure it's cause the single port controller chips were a cheaper option.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'm pretty sure that the only way you can run multiple chains of thunderbolt devices is if there are multiple separate ports on the motherboard to begin with- like on the 15" MBP/iMac/Vader Mac Pro.
Both 13 and 15 inch Retinas have a pair of Thunderbolt ports. The 15" Pro still has only one Thunderbolt port just like the Airs and 13" Pro.

In a way it's nice to not have to add another port for this high-speed interface but at the same time it stinks having it use the same port as video.

If you aren't going to use it as a dock, and just storage, USB 3.0 is probably good enough for most people.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

spongeworthy posted:

Has anyone else noticed this issue with their magsafe power cord?

At least one of my iPhone cables went like that.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

spongeworthy posted:

Has anyone else noticed this issue with their magsafe power cord? I'm not sure if the yellowing is due to a slight bend in the cord that sometimes occurs or if there is an electrical/wiring issue that is going to cause a fire.

I'm pretty sure it's the insulation absorbing skin oil. I had it happen to a magsafe cord in a different spot, thanks to my vile habit of browsing in bed. A length of cable which was frequently draped over ye auld boddy yellowed just like that. I can't tell if yours is doing it, but it puffed up a bit too. Eventually the cable management doohickey could not slide past the yellowed section.

There's no safety hazard yet, but it also makes the jacket material softer and weaker. In my case, it eventually stretched, then tore. The good news is that there was no immediate fire hazard -- the two internal wires are individually insulated, so there was no exposed metal, and that material doesn't seem to absorb oil like the outer jacket does. The other good news is that I took it to a Genius Bar and they gave me a new one, even though it was out of warranty.

(If they hadn't done anything I was just going to put some heatshrink tube on it. It would've been perfectly fine then.)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It's a goon symptom. Cheetos/Doritos finger dust + white cord.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

That happens with most white plasticish things. My university used to have a ton of old iMacs with the white keyboards and transparent casing in the library and it was pretty nasty looking between the keyboards themselves and the debris inside the plastic and I think computer hardware is better when it doesn't make you think about all the stuff that comes out of hands.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

I'm waiting for the Caldigit Thunderbolt station http://www.caldigit.com/thunderboltstation/

Full-speed USB3, HDMI, Ethernet and has a second thunderbolt port, according to the facebook page it supports running a monitor from the HDMI output and the Thunderbolt port simultaneously.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

theperminator posted:

I'm waiting for the Caldigit Thunderbolt station http://www.caldigit.com/thunderboltstation/

Full-speed USB3, HDMI, Ethernet and has a second thunderbolt port, according to the facebook page it supports running a monitor from the HDMI output and the Thunderbolt port simultaneously.

Only 3 USB 3 ports? Cmon, they're super cheap to add in and you can never have enough.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I love my Matrox DS1. Only one thunderbolt port, so would have to be at the end of a chain (it's my only tb device in this case), but that is my only compliant. Otherwise it's great.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Malcolm XML posted:

Only 3 USB 3 ports? Cmon, they're super cheap to add in and you can never have enough.

6-8 is more like it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Just put in my order this morning for a 13" Haswell MBA and took the option for 8GB of RAM. Interestingly enough, airmiles.ca has a 2x Apple.ca promo going on right now so I am getting like 126 out of them on just this one transaction.

Posting to say thanks to all for answering my questions and putting up with my anticipatory bullshit. Your comments did help me reach a decision that I can be comfortable with.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009

I think a couple people were mentioning this a few pages ago and I've noticed the same thing with my 2012 Air. At least one person got a replacement because of it, but - like you said - it isn't reliably reproducible. I probably won't bother with it unless it gets worse, but that's mostly because I live a few hours from the nearest Apple store.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

See if all the legs are touching when it's on a flat surface. Put some thin tape on it or return it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Selklubber posted:

See if all the legs are touching when it's on a flat surface. Put some thin tape on it or return it.

Yeah, they do - it sounds like something is clicking into/out of place under the palmrests (which is weird since it's unibody). I guess I'll just try to get a replacement since it's starting to get really loving annoying.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

Depends on the hub that they bought + board layout + design + extra hubs if necessary.

All that can lead to an extra 20$+ in manufacturing costs, which is way more than "super cheap."

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I'm in need of a new laptop and I'm seriously considering a MBA. I'm wanting this to last for a good 4-5 years at the least. How concerned should I be about the non replaceability of the battery? I don't want to be 2 years down the line and the battery has reduced to uselessness, costing however much extra to resolder a new battery.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

ratbert90 posted:

Depends on the hub that they bought + board layout + design + extra hubs if necessary.

All that can lead to an extra 20$+ in manufacturing costs, which is way more than "super cheap."

Tb hubs cost $200 anyway and to not provide more ports (USB 2 is fine too) is kind of lame

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I'm in need of a new laptop and I'm seriously considering a MBA. I'm wanting this to last for a good 4-5 years at the least. How concerned should I be about the non replaceability of the battery? I don't want to be 2 years down the line and the battery has reduced to uselessness, costing however much extra to resolder a new battery.

This is what Apple has to say about the battery life:

"The built-in battery of your MacBook Pro or MacBook Air is designed to deliver up to 1000 full charge and discharge cycles before it reaches 80 percent of its original capacity. In addition, Adaptive Charging reduces the wear and tear on the battery giving it a lifespan of up to 5 years."

So at least in theory it should be fine, though obviously 5 years is a long time. But even at 80 percent of the original capacity, the current gen Air would still have a pretty great battery life.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Thanks! If it can live up to that, that would work wonderfully for me.

lua
Jun 16, 2013

This (linked by someone a few pages back) is probably the best collection of real-world data you'll get about that. Obviously the current Airs aren't 5 years old, so the data is for older models, but it's a useful indicator anyway.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

costing however much extra to resolder a new battery.
$129 for the battery replacement service if it ever comes to that.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Foiltha posted:

This is what Apple has to say about the battery life:

"The built-in battery of your MacBook Pro or MacBook Air is designed to deliver up to 1000 full charge and discharge cycles before it reaches 80 percent of its original capacity. In addition, Adaptive Charging reduces the wear and tear on the battery giving it a lifespan of up to 5 years."

I have 249 cycles and my battery is at 82%. :smithicide:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

My 2010 27" iMac's GPU has started artifacting again. It did it about a month or so for a day and then went away. Now it's back :(

Time to open it up, undo my homebrew Fusion setup, and bring it down to the Apple Store before the AppleCare expires in October. I hate taking this thing apart.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 2, 2013

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Am I going to seriously hate myself if I buy a new rMBP in the next couple weeks?

One of the reasons I like the MBP is the discrete video card, which it looks like the new revision won't have. What is the price point typically like for a new release? Basically the same as the old model?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

My 2010 27" iMac's GPU has started artifacting again. It did it about a month or so for a day and then went away. Now it's back :(

Time to open it up, undo my homebrew Fusion setup, and bring it down to the Apple Store before the AppleCare expires in October. I hate taking this thing apart.

have you seen appreciable gains with your homebrew fusion setup? I have the same model modulo upgrades and I was thinking about it.

Alternatively, I might just buy a rMBP and a tbolt display.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

Tb hubs cost $200 anyway and to not provide more ports (USB 2 is fine too) is kind of lame

20$ in manufacturing costs is quite enormous, especially in a low volume product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Am I going to seriously hate myself if I buy a new rMBP in the next couple weeks?

One of the reasons I like the MBP is the discrete video card, which it looks like the new revision won't have. What is the price point typically like for a new release? Basically the same as the old model?
If you're gearing to cash in on the $100 App Store card before it ends, then go ahead. To play it super-safe, the promotion ends September 6th, so order/buy so that you receive your purchase 13 days before that.

You haven't said if you're getting the 13" (no discrete video card, revision definitely wouldn't have one) or the 15" (has a discrete video card, unclear whether the revision would have one, even as BTO).

Price point is usually same as old model or up to $100 cheaper. It's only the second generation for rMBP so may not be at that point yet where the price starts falling so I'd plan on same price points perhaps with some better default specs to make up the value gap.