Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I wish land combat and movement was as fluid (harhar) as naval combat, it just seems nicer to be able to move more than a hex a turn due to rough terrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Geokinesis posted:

I wish land combat and movement was as fluid (harhar) as naval combat, it just seems nicer to be able to move more than a hex a turn due to rough terrain.

I've begun valuing speed more than almost anything else for my land units. It's one of the reasons why I like Zulu and Kris Swordsmen with Restlessness so much. I also try to build more cavalry but man, they feel so underpowered most of the game.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

So this is a thing that happened. Does it make the +1 Food from camps pantheon worthwhile?

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 30, 2013

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
^^^^^^^^^^ Yes, but next time settle next to the river with your capital, it makes a huge difference. Watermill, Garden and x.25 for all trade routes.

I mean, there's no reason not to like the Zulu UU, it is the best offensive unit in the entire game and requires no resource. Keshik and Camel Archer are still good, but 3 movement, a double attack and the ability to upgrade into a relevant unit, plus faster promotions, Shaka has it all.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 30, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jack the Lad posted:

So this is a thing that happened. Does it make the +1 Food from camps pantheon worthwhile?

It would be better than Fertility Rites for that one city for most of the game, including the most important early stages. The wheat and river grasslands will help it grow while the extra food elephants would allow those tiles to sustain themselves while getting gold and production from them. If you can't get good faith from any of the faith generating ones, I'd say the food from camps one is worth it in that instance.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 30, 2013

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Marketing New Brain posted:

No that's about right, turn 170-180 on Immortal and 140-150 on Deity. That's why spies and stuff like early caravans are so good on these difficulty levels.

The AI definitely does get cheats to research, or at least to food and production, which amounts to the same thing.

That said, turn 170‐ish industrial isn’t some impossible feat. I did it just now just now thanks to observatories in my first, second, and third cities.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

With the right setup and civ, it's possible to get into industrial much sooner than 170. I'm not very good and can't do those super early science victories. As Babylon, 170 or so is about right for me, this was on Emperor:

You tech up faster on Immortal and Deity since the AI will have a decent tech lead on you allowing for more science from caravans and faster tech stealing with spies.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow, Venice with Petra just shits money. Turn 125 and I'm up to +55. It'd be more, but the city states are on the other side of the continent where the sea routes won't reach, and everything but me is inland.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Marketing New Brain posted:

^^^^^^^^^^ Yes, but next time settle next to the river with your capital, it makes a huge difference. Watermill, Garden and x.25 for all trade routes.

I loaded the turn 0 autosave and did this - thanks!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Sice I've essentially won my Byzantium game, I decided to play about a bit with the in-game editor. Apparently barbarians have a city name list! I had no idea.

EDIT: Sorry about the lovely jpeg, imgur converted the png I uploaded to it.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 31, 2013

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone have any issues running this game through Steam with Windows 8? I've tried re-installing steam, verifying cache, deleting blobs of various names, but no matter what I do it tells me the "App failed to start because it is already running". So far I haven't had that problem with any of my other Steam games.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Reason posted:

Does anyone have any issues running this game through Steam with Windows 8? I've tried re-installing steam, verifying cache, deleting blobs of various names, but no matter what I do it tells me the "App failed to start because it is already running". So far I haven't had that problem with any of my other Steam games.

I have Win 8 on my laptop and it runs Civ 5 just fine. Don't think it is a Win 8 issue.

VVV How do you guys get other civs to attack people? Last game I tried to bribe civs 6,000 gold to declare war on the Aztecs and no one would do it. They were all pretty much my bros too.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 31, 2013

Larz2021
Feb 2, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

Wow, Venice with Petra just shits money. Turn 125 and I'm up to +55. It'd be more, but the city states are on the other side of the continent where the sea routes won't reach, and everything but me is inland.

Hah yeah Im on a similar situation. My only worry is the drat Mongols next door trying to start poo poo before I can really pay them off / buy up my army.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Jastiger posted:

Strange. I've had my missionary parked next to a barbarian encampment and unit for 3 turns now and nothing. They aren't attacking, but they aren't being converted either. I should note that I'm NOT the founder of the religion, only that it spread to me. Do I not get the reformation belief bonus?

I've noticed that only a few of the reformation belief bonuses will work if you weren't the founding religion. Specifically, the one that allows you to purchase science buildings with faith will work regardless of if you founded it or not. I know for sure that heathen conversion and the one that lets you purchase any great person with faith will only work for the founder.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

BadLlama posted:

VVV How do you guys get other civs to attack people? Last game I tried to bribe civs 6,000 gold to declare war on the Aztecs and no one would do it. They were all pretty much my bros too.

Sometimes they're just not really up for it no matter how much you pay them. Either theyre too weak to fight them that they'd know it's suicide, or they also like them too much.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Does anyone know what happens when a city that you have a trade route to gets captured or razed? Does the trade route immediately end and can be reassigned, or do you have to stick out the remainder of the turns?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Brannock posted:

Does anyone know what happens when a city that you have a trade route to gets captured or razed? Does the trade route immediately end and can be reassigned, or do you have to stick out the remainder of the turns?

It's immediately gone and you can reassign as soon as you can spin up a new Caravan/Cargo Ship.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How many city states should I aim to puppet as Venice? I'm going either diplomatic or science victory (unless I get bored and just buy military units). I have 3 right now and can get a fourth. Most aren't that great though, either giving a single luxury resource or giving a few strategic ones as well, but in a poor location.

quote:

My only worry is the drat Mongols next door trying to start poo poo before I can really pay them off / buy up my army.

I've managed to form the League of Friendship with Askia and Ashur. I'm not sure how.

e: BTW what happens if Venice conquers a capital city?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 31, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Neat. This is the first time I've seen the AI try to cut a deal with a diplomat.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Haille Selassie is a warmongering rear end in a top hat in my current game. He's taken out China and Carthage in wars of aggression and seems to be eyeing me and Mongolia, who have been peacefully bro-ing it up. What the hell Haille? :psyduck:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

RBA Starblade posted:

e: BTW what happens if Venice conquers a capital city?

They puppet it, same as any other city they conquer.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I started a game with a pretty interesting starting spot (lot's of desert, I love Petra rushing) except it's the wrong difficulty. How can I get this same map but at a different difficulty?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kyrosiris posted:

They puppet it, same as any other city they conquer.

Oops, I thought I couldn't annex OR puppet.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!
So, I decided to boot up Civ5 and play a game on King and play it all the way through for once. I choose Assyria cause I heard all about those Siege Towers that apparently are crazy good?

Well, this is a great start. Actually, its a terrible start, but one terrible enough worth sharing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FighterKnuckles posted:

So, I decided to boot up Civ5 and play a game on King and play it all the way through for once. I choose Assyria cause I heard all about those Siege Towers that apparently are crazy good?

Well, this is a great start. Actually, its a terrible start, but one terrible enough worth sharing.

Are you playing on a Cray?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

FighterKnuckles posted:

Better get God of the Seas as quick as you drat well can.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Inspector_71 posted:

Are you playing on a Cray?

Yeah, I have no idea why my screenshot looks so awful. :v: In-game it looks just fine.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Reveilled posted:

Sice I've essentially won my Byzantium game, I decided to play about a bit with the in-game editor. Apparently barbarians have a city name list! I had no idea.

EDIT: Sorry about the lovely jpeg, imgur converted the png I uploaded to it.
Where's the in game editor and how do you get barbarian cities? :aaaaa:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Autumncomet posted:

Where's the in game editor and how do you get barbarian cities? :aaaaa:

Search for "Ingame Editor" on the steam workshop. It's a pretty nifty mod and does most things you'd expect a proper World Builder can do. Why Firaxis decided to skip doing in-game editing tools in 5 is beyond me.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 31, 2013

cams
Mar 28, 2003

FighterKnuckles posted:

This start is really, really, really good imo. Rush Optics, get Great Lighthouse, crank out food like mad.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

cams posted:

This start is really, really, really good imo. Rush Optics, get Great Lighthouse, crank out food like mad.

Four sea resources is nice and all, but man, that start is really bad. There will be literally six productive tiles in the city area and he will miss out on all of the ruins by the time he gets optics. That city will be okay in the early game and terrible once it grows past size six.

edit: And none of those resources are even particularly good for growth. I really wonder what you see in that start because it's pretty dreadful.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 31, 2013

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Also gently caress having to build an empire on sea resources. They're so easy to pillage anytime you have a war.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's also kind of dumb that you have to build work boats to improve sea resources, and they get consumed. You should just be able to have embarked workers take care of it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Sea resources become supertiles, which some people fixate on, but they're forgetting that coast and ocean tiles are really terrible until upgraded. Having access to two or three supertiles doesn't make up for missing out on a dozen++ tiles that aren't a net loss to work.

I used to be really nuts about settling my cities on coast whenever possible, until I realized that losing basically half my workable tiles wasn't always worth the "free" road via Harbor. Now I only settle coastal cities, beyond my initial coast city for sea access, if I find a spot with three or more sea resources or a natural harbor.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

OK maybe not super great, but yeah I do love ocean resources.

EDIT: Also I was just riding high on them when I posted that because I had just played a game as Venice where I had 6 workable sea tiles at my starting city. I'm currently in the 1700s on Epic and Venice is 46 population.

cams fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 31, 2013

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Brannock posted:

Sea resources become supertiles, which some people fixate on, but they're forgetting that coast and ocean tiles are really terrible until upgraded. Having access to two or three supertiles doesn't make up for missing out on a dozen++ tiles that aren't a net loss to work.

I used to be really nuts about settling my cities on coast whenever possible, until I realized that losing basically half my workable tiles wasn't always worth the "free" road via Harbor. Now I only settle coastal cities, beyond my initial coast city for sea access, if I find a spot with three or more sea resources or a natural harbor.

Since they introduced the ability for naval units to take cities, coastal cities have become much less of a MUST DO thing.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Coastal resources are really good but you need a lot of them to make up for the fact that coast tiles are completely useless. That's a horrible capital location because you can't expand until you get optics and you capital will never have any production. Good luck actually expanding when you've got a 20-30 turn handicap, no ruins, no money from meeting city states and no production.

e: And good luck actually getting work boats out to those resource tiles to make them decent. You can't really afford to spend 50 turns in your only city making work boats and a lighthouse.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The reason it doesn't work like that is multiplayer. Those games were designed with multiplayer as an afterthought, if they had it at all (I don't think MoO1 did). It needs to be different from a domination victory, and if diplomacy victory allowed for people to go rogue, no one would accept an MP diplomacy victory and the entire world would go rogue. Basically making diplomacy victories impossible.

Civ 5 multiplayer was also designed as an afterthought, though.

edit: along with the ui, I guess

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Brannock posted:

Even upgraded coastal tiles are not really worth working since they max out after building a lighthouse at 2f. I said it before, but I think they need to make Atolls at least a little bit more numerous and have something like seaports give the +1h +1g bonus to them. As it is now, you only ever want just a handful of coastal cities for naval trade and the rest inland because the coastal tiles just aren't worth working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Even upgraded coastal tiles are not really worth working since they max out after building a lighthouse at 2f.

This isn't really true.
Lets take, for instance, a fish tile in a modern era, with every possible Boost.
It starts with 1F
The fish itself gives another F, for 2F on the tile.
Add a lighthouse, 4F.
God of the Sea Pantheon, 4F1P
Add a Harbor, 4F2P.
Add a Seaport, 4F3P1G.
And lets say maybe you get a Colossus in this city, for a final end of 4F3P2G, very good for a simple fish tile.

Man, I reread the post three times in writing this and reading the buildings and never once realized you were referring to the non-resource tiles.

• Locked thread