Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Just won my first Deity game in a year or so :poland:

Poland is seriously gross. That dual tradition/liberty start into rationalism is just glorious. Science victory on ~turn 260 while the Deity AI are barely entering Information.

The only thing that makes runaway victories like that possible at that difficulty is the ease with which you can play AIs against one another. I had 4 soldiers for the entirety of that game, but Darius never overran me with his incredibly massive army because I kept paying him to go to war with Dido and Venice for a combined total of 10 GPT. That mattered a bit when I was at 30 GPT, but by the end of the game I'm at 500 and he's still accepting chump change to fight an eternal stalemate. We never even made a DOF, so he could've turned around and sacked my capital without diplomatic consequences, but nope!

e: while I'm making a post, I have a question. When trading a resource, the AI will trade 6 GPT or 240 gold, usually valuing 1GPT at 40ish gold. 1GPT on standard speed is worth 30 gold, so they're putting a premium on GPT. But when you trade GPT for gold, they're willing to give it to you at cost. This means that I can trade 10 GPT for 300 gold, a trade that gives me a massive advantage because having gold upfront is way better than having the same amount 30 turns later. This let me abuse the system by trading Dido a ton of GPT for 2000ish gold to buy my factories and get Order before anyone else. Why don't they put a premium on gold over GPT? Is there some advantage to having a high GPT that I'm missing by trading away all of my GPT for raw gold?

TheGame fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
There isn't. The AI was just reconfigured that way because 8gpt for a resource was Too Good or something.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Verviticus posted:

There isn't. The AI was just reconfigured that way because 8gpt for a resource was Too Good or something.

Which is really silly since they'll happily give you 240 gold for that same resource which is better than 8 gpt.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
The needing the DoF for the lump sum now balances that out though.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah as Venice, bought a factory in EVERY city state I puppeted and I am unable to select an ideology. Its kind of pissing me off. I feel like potentially being the last to adopt an ideology is a pretty big negative for Venice. I hit industrial and factory tech way before everyone else, but my inability to select an ideology is putting me in pretty much last place to pick one now.

Grrrrr.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Jastiger posted:

Yeah as Venice, bought a factory in EVERY city state I puppeted and I am unable to select an ideology. Its kind of pissing me off. I feel like potentially being the last to adopt an ideology is a pretty big negative for Venice. I hit industrial and factory tech way before everyone else, but my inability to select an ideology is putting me in pretty much last place to pick one now.

Grrrrr.

That sounds like a bug, because I've definitely purchased factories and used that to pop an Ideology as Venice. That's how Maddjinn got his in his current ongoing Venice game, too.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I totally get the bonus they've given to friendship (6GPT vs 240) and it seems smart, but the fact that the AI will trade their 30 gold for my 1GPT is still ridiculous (again, unless I'm missing something). Gold upfront is not the same as gold in 30 turns, especially since the game evolves so quickly. On turn 230, gold is worth probably less than half of what it's worth on turn 260. Trading GPT for upfront gold is a massive advantage to the player and the willingness with which the AI trades just seems like they've overlooked something. It should be something closer to my 1GPT for their 20-25 gold.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TheGame posted:

Trading GPT for upfront gold is a massive advantage to the player and the willingness with which the AI trades just seems like they've overlooked something.

Obviously they just programmed everything to have certain values, whether it's gold, open borders, luxuries, GPT, or whatever else. Those values may adjust to circumstances/relationship, but clearly they all exist in a vacuum and have no relation to one other, and they gave gold 1/30 the value of the same amount of gold per turn.

Presto.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jastiger posted:

Grrrrr.

Weird, I never had that problem. Must be a bug.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Jastiger posted:

Grrrrr.

How many city states did you puppet?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

uPen posted:

How many city states did you puppet?

4. It did finally pop and ask me for ideology but only after a good 5 or 6 turns after I've bought a factory in all cities. I dunno what happened.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Jastiger posted:

4. It did finally pop and ask me for ideology but only after a good 5 or 6 turns after I've bought a factory in all cities. I dunno what happened.

Did it pop when you hit the Modern era, then? I've had to do that before due to not having any coal, and not being able to get any in trade, though I've never had that factory bug.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Muscle Tracer posted:

Did it pop when you hit the Modern era, then? I've had to do that before due to not having any coal, and not being able to get any in trade, though I've never had that factory bug.

No, I was eventually able to, but I was expecting to have to wait until I hit modern. Must have been a bug.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Jastiger posted:

No, I was eventually able to, but I was expecting to have to wait until I hit modern. Must have been a bug.

I've had that happen with cities you take over, you don't get the popup asking you if you want to annex or puppet them for half a dozen turns or so. Weird bug, kind of annoying.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hate to post again so soon, but holy poo poo this AI. I was Venice, the ultimate bro. As long as you opened your trade borders with me, its all good.

Then Sulieman wants to plop cities everywhere. I had a bigger army, so I didn't care. I notice an antiquity site in the newly plopped city near my borders. It turned out to be a Venetian artifact, but he didn't care he asked me not to take his poo poo.

I said deal with it, and put on my Enrico Shades.

Then he denounces me.

Then Germany denounces me.

Then Japan denounces me.

Then Siam denounces me.

Then Brazil denounces me.

Then Russia denounces me.

Then Indonesia denounces me.

Then Songhai denounces me.

Then Morocco denounces me.

I had DoFs with every single one of these civs and now the entire world except Kamehameha hates me. Consequently me and Kamehameha share freedom, most of the others are Order/Autocracy and three of them don't have an ideology at all yet.

Why the hell are they all dog piling on me, the non war having, fun loving, gold trading Venice and not on the warmongering, border expanding, not-bro-to-CSs Germany? I have a larger army, have been nothing but kind to everyone and now everyone hates me.

What would set all of this off? This is so crazy to have all my long time friends all denounce me at once.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I find that as Venice, opinions towards you often tend to sour in the later ages. I think they probably see you as passing them up and closing in on a victory condition. Buy some more troops, if you haven't been keeping your army up. Don't depend on friendliness alone to keep the peace. The AI can still smell weakness.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Ideologies also gently caress things up, if someone has been your best bud for the last 4,000 years but you're freedom and they're autocracy they're going to hate your guts.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thing is they still otherwise like me. The only negative modifier is "They Denounced us" and maybe "A Civ we like better than you Denounced you!" It's so weird. Now Catherine won't even do open borders again. So frustrating. I have a huge army and am thinking of scrubbing off Sulieman's cities he's shat out near me, but otherwise I"m a peace bro. Sigh.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Damnit Rome, I had you outpaced on a starship, why'd you have to go and clock a time win ?

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
How do you guys persuade the AI to go to war with another AI for a song? I've never been able to pull this off.

Also: what's this mixed liberty/tradition opening? I really don't know a lot about Civ openers.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, combine Freedom's ability to simply buy spaceship parts with Jesuit Education for cheap research buildings and you're buying your way to the science victory!

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Buying spaceship parts sounded cool, but in general I've found that if I am Mr. Moneybags it is faster and easier to get globalization as my second information age tech, station diplomats in other capitals, buy out any remaining city states, and win the world leader vote.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

How do you guys persuade the AI to go to war with another AI for a song? I've never been able to pull this off.

Also: what's this mixed liberty/tradition opening? I really don't know a lot about Civ openers.

It depends on who they are and their relation with whoever you want them to war against. If Attila or Genghis are around you're good to go! Others are more situational.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

Tradition opener, liberty to collective rule, finish tradition, finish liberty, get rationalism. When you do this with Poland it lets you expand really fast and since Poland's free social policies are really free you pick up policies at a ridiculous rate with 5 culture/turn early game and later 4 free amphitheaters since you delay legalism for collective rule. It's a really good example of maximizing your early game impact to snowball into a quick victory.

uPen fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 31, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

uPen posted:

Ideologies also gently caress things up, if someone has been your best bud for the last 4,000 years but you're freedom and they're autocracy they're going to hate your guts.

gently caress it, just pressure them into switching :getin:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Filthy Monkey posted:

Buying spaceship parts sounded cool, but in general I've found that if I am Mr. Moneybags it is faster and easier to get globalization as my second information age tech, station diplomats in other capitals, buy out any remaining city states, and win the world leader vote.
I just got my first science victory by buying spaceship parts and had to intentionally not win via diplomacy to do it. At one point I was sitting on 21K gold with enough city states allies that I had 31 delegates. Intentionally didn't get any more so I could get my first science win.

And then I built a bunch of X-Com soldiers and hosed Catherine's poo poo up cause she was constantly using great generals to take my territory all game and I needed some loving vengeance.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Verviticus posted:

Civ 5 multiplayer was also designed as an afterthought, though.

edit: along with the ui, I guess

Am I the only one who loves the UI? The UI and general ugliness of Civ 4 compared to Civ V is why I cant go back. The game interface itself is pretty and really functional, quickly directing your attention to the important stuff. Yeah there is a lot of info hidden away in arbitrary menus but once you find it's not a big deal. The only real terrible part of the UI is that you cant tell what uniques do when choosing a leader.

babypolis fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 31, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

babypolis posted:

Am I the only one who loves the UI? The UI and general ugliness of Civ 4 compared to Civ V is why I cant go back. The gae interface itself is pretty and really functional, quickly directig your attention to the important stuff. Yeah there is a lot of info hidden away in arbitrary menus but once you find it'snot big deal. The only real terrible part of the UI is that yo cant tell what uniques do when choosing a leader.

Yeah, I've never heard anyone complain about the UI, even people who adamantly dislike CiV for gameplay reasons.

Edit: Aside from quibbles about information that should be available isn't at times where it's most needed (like a global politics pane during DoF discussions, etc).

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Gyshall posted:

Buy Gold, then buy BNW

RagnarokAngel posted:

You'll miss the leaders but you'll get all the mechanics (religion and spies) that's correct.

Regarding this: The guy with the initial question had base Civ V and was asking about BNW. Now, I was hammered when I caved in and bought this on steam and I just noticed I didn't buy the Gold Edition, but GnK plus BNW, I'm assuming I get all the relevant mechanics and bugfixes, but am I really missing out on a lot, especially some game concepts that my setup might not include?

The Gold Edition upgrade is only 10 bucks, but I'm curious whether I should grab it right away several hours deep into my first game on epic, or not bother for the time being and grab it later.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

If you have G&K and BNW you're good to go. The DLCs add a few civs, scenarios and maps but they aren't necessary to enjoy the game and don't have any impact on game mechanics.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

FighterKnuckles posted:

So, I decided to boot up Civ5 and play a game on King and play it all the way through for once. I choose Assyria cause I heard all about those Siege Towers that apparently are crazy good?

Well, this is a great start. Actually, its a terrible start, but one terrible enough worth sharing.

That is amazing. Please upload your turn zero save file! What difficulty is it?

I think it was The White Dragon who suggested we do an in-thread, civfanatics style "contest" where we all play the same save and compare results. A striking start like that one would be a perfect contender. It's not a case of who can win fastest but who can die slowest :allears:

It would be agonising with only two hammers, but hilarious to see who can do best with it.

fake edit: one-city challenge with that start.

real edit: if you move your settler you can pick up some more hammers from that hill!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

KKKlean Energy posted:

real edit: if you move your settler you can pick up some more hammers from that hill!

And unless I'm bad at counting hexes without the grid helping, you'd trade a semi-redundant crab for whales! More :) that way.

Edit: Wait, no, I'm stupid, they're within 3 of the current location too. Never mind. :downs:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

KKKlean Energy posted:

That is amazing. Please upload your turn zero save file! What difficulty is it?

I think it was The White Dragon who suggested we do an in-thread, civfanatics style "contest" where we all play the same save and compare results. A striking start like that one would be a perfect contender. It's not a case of who can win fastest but who can die slowest :allears:

It would be agonising with only two hammers, but hilarious to see who can do best with it.

fake edit: one-city challenge with that start.

Sea resources give two hammers with the lighthouse and seaport so you'd be giving up hammers for hammers. Either way it's probably best to settle next to the mountain because who knows what else is out there.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Sea resources give two hammers with the lighthouse and seaport so you'd be giving up hammers for hammers. Either way it's probably best to settle next to the mountain because who knows what else is out there.

True, but you gotta build them first and a seaport is going to come very late indeed. Early hammers are better, I reckon. I call this "Time Value of Hammers" :)

But then, that's what comparing results will be for! Let's hope FighterKnuckles still has his turn zero save.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
Is it possible to spread the One True Religion if you're doing a single city challenge or as Venice?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The ideology unhappiness penalty seems insane. I always have been going order so I figured I'd try freedom this game. Nope! Everyone is doing order and I end up with like -50 happiness in one turn. Totally hosed unless I switch to order too.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

The ideology unhappiness penalty seems insane. I always have been going order so I figured I'd try freedom this game. Nope! Everyone is doing order and I end up with like -50 happiness in one turn. Totally hosed unless I switch to order too.

I have a feeling that they are going to change the number of AIs going to order. Someone posted the code somewhere and pointed out that they aren't predisposed to choosing order just because, but for some reason the combination of factors that the AI decides on almost always ends up on order in practice.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Grand Fromage posted:

Drown your proletariat in culture (porn and booze) and they won't care so much about their bourgeois oppressors even when they see their neighbours' peasantry living the high life :wotwot:

You can reduce the effect by cutting trade routes and open borders with the communist civs. Of course, this might lead your to complete isolation, but that's a small price to pay when you're the last bastion of freedom :911:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've seen some people talk about a mapscript fix for continents plus that doesn't put city states out of reach every game. I've searched for it on google but haven't been able to find anything about it, can someone in the thread direct me to it?

Edit: What the hell? I just found the fountain of youth in this game and holy poo poo is that promotion broken. I thought the high altitude promotion was too good :stare:

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jul 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Demiurge4 posted:

I've seen some people talk about a mapscript fix for continents plus that doesn't put city states out of reach every game. I've searched for it on google but haven't been able to find anything about it, can someone in the thread direct me to it?

Edit: What the hell? I just found the fountain of youth in this game and holy poo poo is that promotion broken. I thought the high altitude promotion was too good :stare:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=453587

• Locked thread