Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Supercar Gautier posted:

Giving two players each a full screen in Sonic Racing Transformed is pretty nice.

That's pretty sweet. Is there any noticable performance drop from playing like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ImpAtom posted:

Not to get back into this, but Neither Disgaea nor Fire Emblem is a RTS game. Both are turn-based. The RT aspect is what tends to throw a lot of the console-based stuff off. They generally involve lots of quick micromanaging which is why mouse/keyboard tend to be best for it.

While I understand the stigma of using a keyboard on a console and why developers generally don't bother with it, is there a reason we don't see mice in games anymore? I have a few strategy games even for the SNES that support that system's mouse and Dreamcast had several games that used it. I know it would be bad for multiplayer FPS because of issues in balancing auto-aim and such but for strategy games and RPGs or whatever? I think this was the first gen where no system had mouse support for anything.

I mentioned earlier in the thread, but I'm surprised a bunch of Wizardry/adventure/whatever games with lots of dense menus and mapping haven't been ported to the Wii U because it would be ideal for that kind of game. Square hasn't even put a no frills port of Final Fantasy III on it yet, the game so ubiquitous that it's even on Ouya.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Neo Rasa posted:

While I understand the stigma of using a keyboard on a console and why developers generally don't bother with it, is there a reason they don't just allow the possibility for USB mice to work in games anymore? I have a few strategy games even for the SNES that support that system's mouse and Dreamcast had several games that used it. I know it would be bad for multiplayer FPS because of issues in balancing auto-aim and such but for strategy games and RPGs or whatever? I think this was the first gen where no system had mouse support for anything.

It would probably give the mouse users an unfair advantage over people using the lovely controller scheme in RTS games. Just like in Fpses.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Neo Rasa posted:

While I understand the stigma of using a keyboard on a console and why developers generally don't bother with it, is there a reason they don't just allow the possibility for USB mice to work in games anymore? I have a few strategy games even for the SNES that support that system's mouse and Dreamcast had several games that used it. I know it would be bad for multiplayer FPS because of issues in balancing auto-aim and such but for strategy games and RPGs or whatever? I think this was the first gen where no system had mouse support for anything.

I'd assume that it's because you can't develop/port your game under the assumption of people playing with them, so you need to simplify controls anyway to the point where you can play fine without them, at which point why bother including them at all?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

As far as I understand, it's simply because it is too much effort for too little payoff. A RTS designed for a controller is going to have design concessions for that controller which limit or reduce the usefulness of a mouse/keyboard. Even if it still is the better choice, then you run into potential problems where mouse/keyboard's speed and hotkeys give a tangible advantage over people without.

Basically you can do it, but it's a feature which adds a lot of additional problems for relatively little payoff and so most companies don't.It could work in a single player game but there are very very very few RTS games designed for only a single player.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Making games is hella expensive. It doesn't make any sense to develop and run QA for a control scheme you can't guarantee players will ever use.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
As I recall, Command and Conquer 3 had keyboard support on the Ps3.

Junkie Disease posted:

If 80 buck next gen games and 60 dollar controllers and riskier development costs are what the ps4 and xbone have to offer over the previous gen thats my plan. PC has really outpaced the consoles for nabbing up Indie games Its like what? All of them? The amount of nintendo titles however...

?

Okay, first of all, Sony has confirmed that Ps4 games have a $60 limit, and you're quoting EA talking out of their rear end. Second, a new WiiU controller is about $160. Third, Sony have gone out of their way to make the PS4 more friendly to indie developers than the PC. But even ignoring that, I notice the PC still doesn't have Journey.

Sojourner
Jun 6, 2007

Get In
I own a wiiu and enjoy it. I often have friends over and we play nintendo land/mario kart wii/eshop/virtual console games I own and it's a fun time - the entire reason I bought it was for local multiplayer games. It's also a great hd netflix, youtube/liveleak, and plex streaming device.

I'm far from a blind fan boy, I'd lie if the current numbers didn't have me worried about my investment and the huge delay behind smash/mario kart and other first party AAAA games has me really upset. I think that saying "Is the wii U Nintendo's Dreamcast" is way too strong of a statement, I can only imagine due to the runaway success of the DS/3ds and the huge profits from a franchise like pokemon are keeping their pockets well lined, whereas sega was probably much more hurting when they left the hardware business. I think the realistic case is another gamecube like generation where they are 'third place in the console war' with some amazingly solid games to back it up.

No regrets thus far, but obviously there is some much needed improvements if they want to get the system into more homes.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Also, we really need to stop comparing the Wii U to the Dreamcast, because the comparison isn't even close. For example, at this point, the Dreamcast had the following games:

NFL2K
NHL2K
NBA2K
Sonic Adventure
Soul Calibur
Marvel vs. Capcom
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Crazy Taxi
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Rayman 2
Dead or Alive 2
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Chu Chu Rocket
Virtua Tennis
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter 3: Double Impact
Tony Hawk Pro Skater

And by the end of the year would have had:

Power Stone 2
NFL2k1
F355 Challenge
Samba De Amigo
Quake 3 Arena
Jet Grind Radio
NBA2k1
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
Capcom vs. SNK
Test Drive LeMans
Skies of Arcadia
Grandia II
Shenmue
edit: and Seaman, how could I forget glorious Seaman?

These consoles aren't even in the same league.

abagofcheetos fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 1, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

B-but there is a screen on the controller so it's the same thing!

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
I don't think you've ever actually looked at a Dreamcast controller, my friend. You're not making your sarcastic point very well.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

abagofcheetos posted:

Also, we really need to stop comparing the Wii U to the Dreamcast, because the comparison isn't even close. For example, at this point, the Dreamcast had the following games:
Yes that's been brought up a dozen times in this thread, and it's a toothless argument. Everyone knows that the Dreamcast had more games at this point in its lifespan, but that's hardly the point. The Dreamcast was the final gamble of a developer trying desperately to stay in the console market after two miserable console failures that folllowed up on their most successful outing which still got soundly beat by their competitor.

Nintendo would have been in approximately that same position if the Wii had failed, but instead the Wii was far and away the best selling console of the past generation and earned Nintendo Scrooge McDuck levels of cash. Their situations are not comparable except on the most superficial levels.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cheez posted:

I don't think you've ever actually looked at a Dreamcast controller, my friend. You're not making your sarcastic point very well.

I think he's talking about the VMU.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You're right, it isn't a comparable situation because the Wii U has less games and lower sales than the Dreamcast did, and an even worse outlook for both, combined with even more impressive competitors launching with even more powerful hardware comparatively than the Dreamcast did. It also has even less third party support, and a far more expensive price point.

I guess it really isn't even comparable. Maybe if the Wii U was an addon to the Wii it's sales would matter at all, but it isn't. Saying the Wii sold a ton so obviously the Wii U will be fine is simply not playing out.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

OatmealRaisin posted:

Team Ninja managed to do the best they could with Other M but since it bombed obviously that was the fault of the third party dev and not the Nintendo guy who apparently thinks that women are only good for having babies and looking pretty.

Nintendo is an amazing case study on corporate hubris these days.

This is an absolute truth. Nintendo is such a huge friggin ego. I'm pretty sure Nintendo has a traditional view of business. I guarantee you everyone is probably remaining quiet around the table while the higher up twiddles his thumbs trying to figure out what is going wrong. No one is sticking their neck out and saying "this is a terrible idea!" "We really need to change how we're thinking about everything."

These guys see the iceberg in front of them, but don't want to alert the captain to it.

abagofcheetos posted:

Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Crazy Taxi
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
And by the end of the year would have had:
Power Stone 2
NFL2k1
F355 Challenge
edit: and Seaman, how could I forget glorious Seaman?
These consoles aren't even in the same league.

Can we get a list of Wii U gem games out by this point in comparison? I still don't own one but Im imagining the dreamcast still ahead.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

The DC is not comparable because it was released 14 years ago in a completely different economic and developmental environment. Also most of those games are ports anyway.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Somehow the system with a literal arcade board as its guts got a lot of arcade ports very quickly. How could that be?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

abagofcheetos posted:

You're right, it isn't a comparable situation because the Wii U has less games and lower sales than the Dreamcast did, and an even worse outlook for both, combined with even more impressive competitors launching with even more powerful hardware comparatively than the Dreamcast did. It also has even less third party support, and a far more expensive price point.

I guess it really isn't even comparable. Maybe if the Wii U was an addon to the Wii it's sales would matter at all, but it isn't. Saying the Wii sold a ton so obviously the Wii U will be fine is simply not playing out.
Did you read my post at all? I'm not saying the Wii's success means the WiiU will be fine, I'm saying that the Wii's success means Nintendo will be fine. The WiiU is currently shaping up to be, at best, another N64. That's not great for Nintendo and means that Iwata will probably be fired or something, but there will be a console after the WiiU. If that one fails will Nintendo be out of the home console market? Maybe, but that's putting the cart before the horse. But asking the question "Is the Wii U Nintendo's Dreamcast?" is explicitly saying that the WiiU is going to knock Nintendo out of the home console market.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

greatn posted:

Somehow the system with a literal arcade board as its guts got a lot of arcade ports very quickly. How could that be?

Yeah it definitely was nice to be able to drop 2 year old arcade games onto your brand new system to bolster its lineup.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Famous TV Dad posted:

Yeah it definitely was nice to be able to drop 2 year old arcade games onto your brand new system to bolster its lineup.

If only Nintendo had some way of using it's extensive back catalog to bolster their lineup, on a system with the emulators already written for four of their systems, and a fifth and sixth able to run natively.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

greatn posted:

If only Nintendo had some way of using it's extensive back catalog to bolster their lineup, on a system with the emulators already written for four of their systems, and a fifth and sixth able to run natively.

Agreed, this is something that should happen.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

greatn posted:

That'd be pretty sweet to save some Gamecube games or Wii games if I had more than 8gbs of space.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Hey so I noticed that the past 50 pages of so have been the exact same arguments over and over with a little bit of Zomodok-started slapfights sprinkled in. Can someone convince me that this thread hasn't run it's course?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Barudak posted:

That'd be pretty sweet to save some Gamecube games or Wii games if I had more than 8gbs of space.

Nintendo should kill the 32GB entirely and as a stopgap pack in a 200GB portable hard drive to the base model.

If you have the 8 GB model, by the way, you actually have closer to 3GB because of the space taken up by the operating system.

Edit: eh the thread isn't hurting anyone, hasn't descended to YCS territory, and in general keeps this stuff out of the other Nintendo threads, leave it be

greatn fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 1, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kewpuh posted:

Hey so I noticed that the past 50 pages of so have been the exact same arguments over and over with a little bit of Zomodok-started slapfights sprinkled in. Can someone convince me that this thread hasn't run it's course?

Well it's either keep this thread going, or close it and have the inevitable arguments at the proper WiiU thread.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Kewpuh posted:

Nintendo needs to drop the price of the machine, learn how to budget and schedule for HD games, and get over their dumb hubris and let third parties develop games for some of their franchises in the interest of actually getting some poo poo out there. Thread over.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

OatmealRaisin posted:

...get over their dumb hubris and let third parties develop games for some of their franchises in the interest of actually getting some poo poo out there. Thread over.

I dunno man. I played other M.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I dunno man. I played other M.

Other M's issues are almost entirely on Sakamoto. Not only did he create the greatest need for feminist critique simulator game, he's the guy who wanted you to have to point at the screen to shoot missles.

Just you know, don't let Phillips-Magnavox design your Mario games.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

OatmealRaisin posted:

Nintendo needs to drop the price of the machine, learn how to budget and schedule for HD games, and get over their dumb hubris and let third parties develop games for some of their franchises in the interest of actually getting some poo poo out there. Thread over.

While I agree with everything you've said here, I'm sure there are some things that pop up that people want to talk about like their sales reports and such, but at the same time I very rarely see this thread not turn into a battleground for console warriors.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Al Borland posted:

Can we get a list of Wii U gem games out by this point in comparison? I still don't own one but Im imagining the dreamcast still ahead.

The entire (not even gems, just total) list of exclusives to the Wii-U is very very short, it's basically 6 games right now:

New Super Mario Bros. U (Metacritic 84)
Nintendo Land (Metacritic 77)
ZombiU (Metacritic 77)
Rabbids Land (Metacritic 52)
Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade (Metacritic 11)
Earthbound (Virtual Console release of a rare SNES game whose loose cart sells for over $150 on eBay, no Metacritic available)

There's also these two games which aren't available on the 360 or PS3, but are on other platforms:

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate* (Metacritic 82, also has OG Wii and 3DS versions)
Scribblenauts Unlimited* (Metacritic 74, also has PC and 3DS versions)

In the coming weeks is the release of Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 and New Super Luigi U, three more Wii-U exclusives. September there's another Scribblenauts game (which will also be on 3DS and PC).

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
We can't close the thread now! We haven't established whether Nintendo is going bankrupt next month in Q1 2014!

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Kewpuh posted:

While I agree with everything you've said here, I'm sure there are some things that pop up that people want to talk about like their sales reports and such, but at the same time I very rarely see this thread not turn into a battleground for console warriors.

There's good discussion to be had in sales numbers and such (it blew my mind that Nintendo shipped ten thousand units in every single region that isn't Japan or North America), but sales reports only come out so often and the console's release schedule is utterly anemic. There just isn't a lot to talk about most of the time, so we just wind up with the "Nintendo should go third party" "Nintendo puts love into their games unlike those accursed AAA developers" "OTHER M" slapfight more often than not. I don't think there's going to be much worth talking about until the next quarterly report comes out, or the price drop actually happens, or the WiiU gets completely slammed by the competition come winter.

I say that as someone guilty of firing petty shots at Nintendo more than a few times in this thread.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You're missing quite a few games in your list there, but I don't remember any stipulation about them having to be exclusives anyway.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kewpuh posted:

It's run it's course because it cycles itself around into a perfect little circle with the same retreaded arguments over and over again that get constantly proven wrong or argued about over and over again. But since we can't post about all the negative things in the actual Wii U thread either we close this one and remake it or just continue talking about all of the negatives here since once again; The actual real life breathing Wii U thread doesn't want to talk about the things wrong with the console.

edit: Also don't really get the "Zomodok-started" part as all I was doing was posting the negative aspects of the console and it's idiotic tablet and if that upset some posters than it's not really my fault?

Zomodok fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 1, 2013

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
This is a funny thread please don't close it TIA.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Zomodok posted:

It's run it's course because it cycles itself around into a perfect little circle with the same retreaded arguments over and over again that get constantly proven wrong or argued about over and over again. But since we can't post about all the negative things in the actual Wii U thread either we close this one and remake it or just continue talking about all of the negatives here since once again; The actual real life breathing Wii U thread doesn't want to talk about the things wrong with the console.

edit: Also don't really get the "Zomodok-started" part as all I was doing was posting the negative aspects of the console and it's idiotic tablet and if that upset some posters than it's not really my fault?

What I meant to say was that your posts are notoriously lovely and that has never ever really changed. You are utterly incapable of making some kind of rational argument without tossing in shitloads of passive aggressive jabs and boldface type. I'm halfway wondering if the thread would be any better if you just were flat out banned from posting in it.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kewpuh posted:

What I meant to say was that your posts are notoriously lovely and that has never ever really changed. You are utterly incapable of making some kind of rational argument without tossing in shitloads of passive aggressive jabs and boldface type. I'm halfway wondering if the thread would be any better if you just were flat out banned from posting in it.

If that's how you feel as a mod there isn't anything that I can really say about that then huh. I've made numerous arguments in this thread and given up numerous solutions to the console and if that's what you've taken from it there isn't really anything I can say or do.

Also if you want me to stop posting in this thread I will, it's not going to stop all the negative aspects of the Nintendo console because they happen to actually exist v:shobon:v

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The Wii/WiiU mix up is so bad.

https://twitter.com/Emi1yRogers/status/362950065221931010

Twitter pic, a recent Target mailer. Their ad for WiiU has a picture of the gamepad on top of a Wii console. Even the big box retailers don't know the difference. The only quick fix I could think of in retail spaces is maybe only produce WiiU in one color, and stop producing Wii in that same color. Maybe there would be less confusion.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Zomodok posted:

If that's how you feel as a mod there isn't anything that I can really say about that then huh. I've made numerous arguments in this thread and given up numerous solutions to the console and if that's what you've taken from it there isn't really anything I can say or do.

Also if you want me to stop posting in this thread I will, it's not going to stop all the negative aspects of the Nintendo console because they happen to actually exist v:shobon:v

Yea, you've further convinced me here. Don't post in this thread or the general Wii U thread anymore. And if you try to take your poo poo to the 3ds thread or something else completely unrelated like I'm sure you're probably going to do, it's not going to be pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kewpuh posted:

Yea, you've further convinced me here. Don't post in this thread or the general Wii U thread anymore. And if you try to take your poo poo to the 3ds thread or something else completely unrelated like I'm sure you're probably going to do, it's not going to be pretty.

Alright, I'll stop posting in the Wii U main thread and this thread.

Can I post in the 3DS thread though? Because I actually enjoy that system and love playing on it because it's a great handheld though recently all I've been playing on it is New Leaf. ((I mean I haven't even made a post in the 3DS thread because I haven't found a reason to but being banned from it before I could even ask a question seems a little bit uptight? ))

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread