Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

i just ordered Soundwave off of toysrus.com, go, go now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
So I got Soundwave and he is truly glorious. I have one question though; there is this grey piece that comes with him and I have no idea what it connects to or even does. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I'll get a picture later. Also how does the energon cube work?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Knormal posted:

i just ordered Soundwave off of toysrus.com, go, go now!

Sold out already drat.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Sentinel Red posted:

I'd hope they wouldn't end it so soon, given how popular and well regarded the series is. Plus Roberts did say there was something like 200+ on the Lost Light, and given what Cyclonus and Whirl found, it's possible even more may be coming along for the ride. More likely the cast of characters will change somewhat as more are lost/leave and others step up to the plate.

drat it, they can't stop till they find the Knights of Cybertron, and that should take *years*. :colbert:

Basically I think after the next few issues we'll get a new story arc different from the past 2 years and a new cast \ mostly new cast + the few survivors.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Honest Ray posted:

So I got Soundwave and he is truly glorious. I have one question though; there is this grey piece that comes with him and I have no idea what it connects to or even does. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I'll get a picture later. Also how does the energon cube work?

If it's what I'm thinking, it plugs into his wrist (his hand has to be folded away). It's some scanner or something that he used in one episode.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Sold out already drat.
Now let's see if mine actually goes through.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Blackheart posted:

If it's what I'm thinking, it plugs into his wrist (his hand has to be folded away). It's some scanner or something that he used in one episode.

The wiki says it's from Fire On The Mountain. Additionally, in tape deck mode it can connect to the side to act as a sort of data link, with one or both of FIBRIR's pile drivers (in their little storage caps) connected in sequence to form a (very thick) cable.

Or you can just hang it off his butt if you don't want to use it.

E: As for the cube, just pop that cap off one side and the now-tapered part clips into his tape deck door, so it looks like he's forming one like on the show. Vangelus put up a PDF on his site of the papercraft Takara provided to make the cube look pink, along with a scanned version of the scanner readouts that were originally on the back cover of the Takara instruction manual.

God I love this figure so much, it's pretty much tied with (if not better than) MP-10 Prime for the best Masterpiece.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 31, 2013

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Knormal posted:

Now let's see if mine actually goes through.

It was doing this poo poo yesterday too, had an Acid Storm in my cart and it got jacked when I tried to check out.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Going on with Generations/RTS/HFTD whatever lines, what was the thinking? I got HFTD Seaspray loose off eBay, I assumed he was Generations but apparently a better repaint of Deepdive from...I don't know, RTS, Targetmaster Cyclonus which is ? RTS Lugnut, etc etc. Shouldn't they all be the same thing?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Actually Deep Dive was the repaint. Seaspray, like Bludgeon, was designed to be halfway classics/movieverse so you can really put it anywhere in your collection and it won't look out of place, even though some fans will want to burn you if you put it with your classics/generations.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
The main difference is that most of the HftD and RtS original molds had actual faces instead of the bug-mouthed junk sculptures that pass for heads in the movie designs. Because of that, they don't look out of place with the Generations figures for the most part. I don't really see why Seaspray doesn't fit but Classics Powerglide does, but as we know, categorization is a bone of contention in the fandom. There are people who insist that Generations Metroplex is not FoC Metroplex, because he's part of the Generations continuity (whatever that is), not the "Aligned" continuity, even though he uses the FoC design, features FoC characters on his box art, and speaks phrases from FoC. :eng99:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Keldroc posted:

The Deluxe is super mediocre, and nowhere near good enough. It barely has hands. Now that Hasbro seems open to the idea of Voyager-sized triple-changers, it's time for Astrotrain to get a figure that does him justice.

Fair enough, although I'd really like to see a Broadside before Astrotrain.

Since Doubledealer is appearing I wonder if that means they'll tackle some of the more Unique bots of the same era? I know we got Overkill and Skullgrin already but there's a load of other guys who could be classic-ized.

Honestly I know people like realistic vehicles but the strange molds and futuristic ones outnumbered them by a good bit in G1.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

I just wish Hasbro would bring headmasters/powermasters back. For some reason a tiny guy becoming part of a bigger guy really appeals to me. Same thing with combiner teams. All I can say is, good thing for third-parties... even with their enormous prices.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Desfore posted:

I just wish Hasbro would bring headmasters/powermasters back. For some reason a tiny guy becoming part of a bigger guy really appeals to me. Same thing with combiner teams. All I can say is, good thing for third-parties... even with their enormous prices.

One of the (many) things I hated about Animated was the use of the Headmaster idea. So much potential but no, let's suck more joy out of the franchise.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

WendigoJohnson posted:

Fair enough, although I'd really like to see a Broadside before Astrotrain.

Warbot Assaulter is my Classics Broadside, but a Hasbro one would be a perfect casemate for Astrotrain, seeing as how he's the only remaining Autobot Triple Changer.

Desfore posted:

I'd love to see Headmasters come back, but Hasbro has repeatedly stated an aversion to the idea due to the fact that if a kid loses the head, the entire figure is kind of useless. All I know is that I never lost a drat head when I was a kid (or any TF accessories), and I'm glad the Hasbro of the '80s didn't let dumb kids ruin it for the rest of us at the time.

Fansproject Code (Chromedome) is one of the best TFs I've bought in years, so I guess it's not really so bad outside of the price issue. I will absolutely buy any other Headmasters Fansproject makes, because Code is just excellent.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ominously, Metroplex has vanished from the TRU website on the eve of his release.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

Ominously, Metroplex has vanished from the TRU website on the eve of his release.

And still nothing from Amazon about an actual ship date now.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Rhyno posted:

I bet it was pushed back till Christmas, it's a 125 dollar toy. Hasbro has released Star Wars vehicles of similar size during the summer and they only sat on shelves until November.

Keldroc posted:

Warbot Assaulter is my Classics Broadside, but a Hasbro one would be a perfect casemate for Astrotrain, seeing as how he's the only remaining Autobot Triple Changer.

I'd love to see Headmasters come back, but Hasbro has repeatedly stated an aversion to the idea due to the fact that if a kid loses the head, the entire figure is kind of useless. All I know is that I never lost a drat head when I was a kid (or any TF accessories), and I'm glad the Hasbro of the '80s didn't let dumb kids ruin it for the rest of us at the time.

Fansproject Code (Chromedome) is one of the best TFs I've bought in years, so I guess it's not really so bad outside of the price issue. I will absolutely buy any other Headmasters Fansproject makes, because Code is just excellent.

I kind of doubt that, because Generations is classified as an Adult Collectable. They've even started to put the label "ADULT COLLECTABLE THIS IS NOT A TOY" in big bold print on their My Little Pony figures, of all things. We're even starting to get updates of Targetmaster figures like Scoop which come with their little target master guys, we also got nearly all of the updated g1 audio cassettes in the form of data discs.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 1, 2013

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

WendigoJohnson posted:

I kind of doubt that, because Generations is classified as an Adult Collectable. They've even started to put the label "ADULT COLLECTABLE THIS IS NOT A TOY" in big bold print on their My Little Pony figures, of all things. We're even starting to get updates of Targetmaster figures like Scoop which come with their little target master guys, we also got nearly all of the updated g1 audio cassettes in the form of data discs.

There's no need to doubt it, because they've flat-out said it in panels, although it was a few years ago. And Targetmaster figures do not fall under the same heading, because losing a gun to a figure or a data disc isn't the same as losing the figure's head.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Keldroc posted:

There's no need to doubt it, because they've flat-out said it in panels, although it was a few years ago. And Targetmaster figures do not fall under the same heading, because losing a gun to a figure or a data disc isn't the same as losing the figure's head.

Eh I guess. Although with the size of the legends figures now and that they're coming packed with a tiny targetmaster, I wonder if they could somehow serve the function of an individual head master. Like release a voyager sized figure of a classic headmaster, the bot transforms and has it's own head. However have the package note that Legends class guys can transform into a different head for the said figure. The Legends guys could probably fit head mode, robot mode, and vehicle mode into them at their size. I mean they're coming with their own little triple changer target master, a head isn't harder to do than a gun.

After all, the cassettes needed Soundwave, Blaster, and Soundblaster to preform all their features.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 1, 2013

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

WendigoJohnson posted:

They've even started to put the label "ADULT COLLECTABLE THIS IS NOT A TOY" in big bold print on their My Little Pony figures, of all things.
If you're talking about the one on HTS that looks like Jazz, it has tiny sharp parts.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

SpikeMcclane posted:

If you're talking about the one on HTS that looks like Jazz, it has tiny sharp parts.
No, the label has been put on a few of the Princess figures as well. It wasn't just the one with the sunglasses.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Keldroc posted:

Also while they said generations was more collector-centered and would be more complex than the mainline, they still are toys made for children.

Now speaking of generations, I wasn't really paying attention to the Orion Pax figure, but after seeing a bit more and a few reviews, I'm honestly impressed with it. It looks pretty fun actually! I hope I can somehow grab both him and Megatron, they might be tiny but they look like neat toys.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Blackheart posted:

Now speaking of generations, I wasn't really paying attention to the Orion Pax figure, but after seeing a bit more and a few reviews, I'm honestly impressed with it. It looks pretty fun actually! I hope I can somehow grab both him and Megatron, they might be tiny but they look like neat toys.
I found all of that wave except Orion Pax, and out of the three I have Megatron is my my least favorite. He's still a really good figure, but there's mandatory partsforming involved, and he's too dinky for a Megatron. Partsforming's a pet peeve of mine though, it's probably not going to be as big of a deal-breaker for most people. Trailbreaker has some partsforming too, but if you set the piece off to the side he just looks like a pickup truck. With Megatron it's his wings, so if you lose them his alt mode basically becomes a weird lumpy coaster. Trailbreaker's awesome looking but tiny, and I wish his forcefield thing folded down, but he's probably my favorite of the three. Bumblebee's pretty good sized, but really hollow.

I'm actually most impressed with the Legends/Commander/whatever-they're-called-now figures. Waspinator's pretty weak, but Starscream is awesome. He suffers a bit from an undercarriage made of obvious robot parts, but aside from that he's really slick looking in both modes. Conversely tank Megatron's good but nothing special, while L'il Chopshop is adorable. I didn't like either Optimus or Bumblebee from wave 1, but the two wave 2 guys are great.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Knormal posted:

I found all of that wave except Orion Pax, and out of the three I have Megatron is my my least favorite. He's still a really good figure, but there's mandatory partsforming involved, and he's too dinky for a Megatron. Partsforming's a pet peeve of mine though, it's probably not going to be as big of a deal-breaker for most people. Trailbreaker has some partsforming too, but if you set the piece off to the side he just looks like a pickup truck. With Megatron it's his wings, so if you lose them his alt mode basically becomes a weird lumpy coaster.

The way I see it, partsforming is IN NO WAY the same as weapons storage. DLX Generations Megatron DOES NOT PARTSFORM. His WEAPON is integrated into his vehicle mode. It's not, like, RID Ultra Magnus or something.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Honestly I can't believe they decided to subject us to another wave of Megatron, Optimus, and Bumblebee.

Orion Pax still counts as Optimus, and Goldfire will still count as yet another Bumblebee. I just hope that Pax gets retooled as another guy we haven't gotten yet. Trailcutter/Hoist both seem pretty cool though. They're very proper truck transformers that keep their bulkiness in robot mode. Much better than Ratchet and Ironhide.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

WendigoJohnson posted:

Eh I guess. Although with the size of the legends figures now and that they're coming packed with a tiny targetmaster, I wonder if they could somehow serve the function of an individual head master. Like release a voyager sized figure of a classic headmaster, the bot transforms and has it's own head. However have the package note that Legends class guys can transform into a different head for the said figure. The Legends guys could probably fit head mode, robot mode, and vehicle mode into them at their size. I mean they're coming with their own little triple changer target master, a head isn't harder to do than a gun.

After all, the cassettes needed Soundwave, Blaster, and Soundblaster to preform all their features.

Using the Legends as Headrobots is a potential solution, but you then run into the problem that a robot that turns into a head is kind of useless as a standalone product. And the cassette comparison is just not logical. It's not about performing all the features, it's about losing one piece and suddenly your toy robot does not have a loving head. You can still play with Laserbeak and Rumble without Soundwave. A decapitated robot is different thing.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Trailcutter/Hoist both seem pretty cool though. They're very proper truck transformers that keep their bulkiness in robot mode. Much better than Ratchet and Ironhide.

My Trailcutter has a lot of trouble holding together properly in truck mode. If you don't position the hips just right, one side will simply not line up and the entire truck mode sort of sproings apart. In that sense, it's actually very reminiscent of Ironhide/Ratchet. Robot mode is solid, but the shoulders don't lock on to the torso tabs very well, so his shoulders can kind of sag and leave a noticeable gap between themselves and the main body. Not fatal flaws, but definitely ones that keep a good figure from being great.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Rhyno posted:

BBTS has him In Stock: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS22897&mode=retail

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Keldroc posted:

Using the Legends as Headrobots is a potential solution, but you then run into the problem that a robot that turns into a head is kind of useless as a standalone product. And the cassette comparison is just not logical. It's not about performing all the features, it's about losing one piece and suddenly your toy robot does not have a loving head. You can still play with Laserbeak and Rumble without Soundwave. A decapitated robot is different thing.

My Trailcutter has a lot of trouble holding together properly in truck mode. If you don't position the hips just right, one side will simply not line up and the entire truck mode sort of sproings apart. In that sense, it's actually very reminiscent of Ironhide/Ratchet. Robot mode is solid, but the shoulders don't lock on to the torso tabs very well, so his shoulders can kind of sag and leave a noticeable gap between themselves and the main body. Not fatal flaws, but definitely ones that keep a good figure from being great.

No, I said make the headmaster legends also turn into a regular robot and a vehicle as well as a head. Those legends sized target masters are pretty advanced for something that small, so there's no reason a legends figure can't be a triple changer since head mode is fairly simple to pull off.

Shame about Trailcutter though, I really thought he looked that amazing from his photos.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

No, I said make the headmaster legends also turn into a regular robot and a vehicle as well as a head. Those legends sized target masters are pretty advanced for something that small, so there's no reason a legends figure can't be a triple changer since head mode is fairly simple to pull off.

Shame about Trailcutter though, I really thought he looked that amazing from his photos.

Both the reviews of Trailcutter's I saw today from people I know didn't mention those issues at all, so maybe Keldroc just got a Turdcutter and its not a line wide issue.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Keldroc posted:

The main difference is that most of the HftD and RtS original molds had actual faces instead of the bug-mouthed junk sculptures that pass for heads in the movie designs. Because of that, they don't look out of place with the Generations figures for the most part. I don't really see why Seaspray doesn't fit but Classics Powerglide does, but as we know, categorization is a bone of contention in the fandom. There are people who insist that Generations Metroplex is not FoC Metroplex, because he's part of the Generations continuity (whatever that is), not the "Aligned" continuity, even though he uses the FoC design, features FoC characters on his box art, and speaks phrases from FoC. :eng99:

I maintain "aligned" continuity is some aspergers bullshit someone made up to have bumblebee mute and boring. It makes absolutely no sense, is completely unnecesary and who cares, they're just toys.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ka0 posted:

I maintain "aligned" continuity is some aspergers bullshit someone made up to have bumblebee mute and boring. It makes absolutely no sense, is completely unnecesary and who cares, they're just toys.

Yes this.

Unless you insist on Voyager Seaspray and Bludgeon being considered classics figures, then we're going to have some problems pal. :colbert: (they deserve better, you know this)

Also those Sandstorm revision cases are showing up, Sandstorm is coming packed with Grimlock and Blaster. Looks like wave 2 wasn't forgotten/short packed.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

WendigoJohnson posted:

I don't really trust Hasbro to pull off a convincing head and separate alt-mode and robot mode. I'd rather they just get over the notion that dumb kids will lose their robots' heads and just give us new versions of the coolest gimmick in the G1 line next to combiners.

As for Trailbreaker, it's entirely possible that mine just sucks. I'll know soon enough, since I forgot to cancel my BBTS preorder for him after I found one at Target.

Ka0 posted:

Word. If Hasbro doesn't care (and it sure seems like they don't), I don't care.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Gammatron 64 posted:

Oh God.

R.I.P. Ultra Mag- er, Minimus Ambus. My favorite guy is dead. :smith:

I'm really hoping that Tailgate becomes the next Ultra Magnus.

It really feels like MTMTE is gearing up for the end, and this is the beginning of the series' climax. I think this book is going to end at issue 24 or 25, or if not, then the storyline it's been running for the past two years probably will and it will continue on with a new story and new cast, because frankly I don't think many characters are going to be left alive after this one. James Roberts is a very, VERY Yoshiyuki Tomino "kill 'em all" kind of author.

To quote James Roberts himself, this is the "end of the first season of MTMTE" and he has 4-5 seasons planned out. Go reread issue 1, all those warnings at the end ;)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Roberts named this piece of Doctor Who soundtrack as the soundtrack for the entirety of the Remain in Light story arc, and I'd say it's remarkably apt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjmGZfHHC80

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
Hey everyone, check out the new Thew video!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Lepecard posted:

Hey everyone, check out the new Thew video!

At least link it, you berk.

Yes yes, y'all, it's SPRINGER.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykv1NkfEcuo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TeeFury has a couple Tarnsformers, uh, "inspired" t-shirts today.

http://www.teefury.com

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Endless Mike posted:

TeeFury has a couple Tarnsformers, uh, "inspired" t-shirts today.

http://www.teefury.com

I like the Grimlock. The other one is kind of weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

revtoiletduck posted:

I like the Grimlock. The other one is kind of weird.

The tessellation one is based off an Escher drawing, and is rather clever. :)