Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
It's so cute. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

This would nomally go in CA but I wanted to share with my 4 wheel bretheren too. Moto Guzzi 500cc V8.

That would've been a spine-tingling 40 seconds before it caught on fire.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201..._n_3676109.html

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

This would nomally go in CA but I wanted to share with my 4 wheel bretheren too. Moto Guzzi 500cc V8.

1955, 78 hp @ 12000rpm, engine weight 45kg, the whole bike 148kg! Lots of spectacular crashes and mechanical issues.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moto_Guzzi_V8

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I always pronounce it as a single word, Imager.

Hah i took this photo. I believe this was the Dwyer and Michaels car show in Davenport IA...2004ish?

It runs mid 9's last time I saw it out at Cordova.

Here's a vid someone else shot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sdjKUZQHKg

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

I didn't even notice the cocksucking until the link. I just thought it was odd that enterprise would come pick you by ramming into the side of your hatchback.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Looks like somebody's out to take market share away from Starbucks.

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

SyHopeful posted:

I thought gassers came about as a way to move as much weight as possible onto the rear tires at launch? Lifted front end, moving the axles forward in relation to the chassis, etc.

This is why gassers came about, not to be all "LOOK AT ME!!!"

During this time, the power cars were putting out were much more than the tires of the day could hook up with. Racers tried all sorts of things from lead bumpers to fiberglass and aluminum front ends to get a higher percentage of weight on the rear tires. With the front end lifted high in the air, the engine raised on its mounts only in the front and moving the rear axle forward put the center of gravity higher and further back in relation to the center of the wheelbase allowing for a much harsher force pushing the rear tires down upon launch when the weight transfer happens. Not long after that someone at a tire company decided there's a market for wide, sticky tires and the gassers faded away as the tires became the easiest thing to do to get traction.

EDIT: The altered wheelbase design was originally thought up by the factory Mopar race team to give them an advantage over the rules imposed on them for stock-type cars.

Team140 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 31, 2013

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

This is cool

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Team140 posted:

EDIT: The altered wheelbase design was originally thought up by the factory Mopar race team to give them an advantage over the rules imposed on them for stock-type cars.

This was the Ramchargers, correct?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Team140 posted:

This is why gassers came about, not to be all "LOOK AT ME!!!"

During this time, the power cars were putting out were much more than the tires of the day could hook up with. Racers tried all sorts of things from lead bumpers to fiberglass and aluminum front ends to get a higher percentage of weight on the rear tires. With the front end lifted high in the air, the engine raised on its mounts only in the front and moving the rear axle forward put the center of gravity higher and further back in relation to the center of the wheelbase allowing for a much harsher force pushing the rear tires down upon launch when the weight transfer happens. Not long after that someone at a tire company decided there's a market for wide, sticky tires and the gassers faded away as the tires became the easiest thing to do to get traction.

Just repeating what the old guys who race them told me a few times, but we all know how they are :) You're 100% right in the technical aspect!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like if I stare at it for too long it's going to hurt me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I feel like if I stare at it for too long it's going to hurt me.

It looks like it has tiny serial killer pinhole pupils

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Want.

Can anybody identify this (found in Cuba, not my photo):

It's not a '55 Chevy, but it looks like a weird communist copy of one, and I can't place it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Buick. Note the portholes.

E: Although, it doesn't have the side moulding. Maybe not. Can you put a Buick front end on a '55 Chevy?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Oh my God.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Raluek posted:

Buick. Note the portholes.

E: Although, it doesn't have the side moulding. Maybe not. Can you put a Buick front end on a '55 Chevy?

My first thought! But the problem is that the hood ornament is really wrong for a '55 Buick. Also note that the grille fangs are lights, not just chrome cones. And the mouldings, per your post, and the proportions are all wrong.

It might just be a Cuba parts special, but I feel like I've seen another one just like it somewhere, and it's driving me crazy.

e: the grille on Buicks of that vintage is also a single fat horizontal fin with a grate behind it; this car's grille is horizontal slats with a big fat moustache on top.

HandlingByJebus fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 1, 2013

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

sofullofhate posted:

Want.

It's not a '55 Chevy, but it looks like a weird communist copy of one, and I can't place it.

I'm not sure, but Cuba has good taste in cars:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Something makes me think it's a GAZ Volga of some description.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

This here is the vehicular version of a genocidal maniac. Or something Mad Max would drive while hunting down the Toecutter. It stares at you from the abyss, daring you to try to touch it at the risk of having your soul sucked into it's supercharger and used to fuel it's howling demon infested engine as The Walking Dude accelerates away, laughing in sadistic delight at the horror it has unleashed. It drips the blood of puppies it has feasted on, it demands virgin sacrifice before it starts, the exhaust and supercharger making a note that sends not just a shiver down the spine, but utterly destroys it as conscious thought flees in terror. It's wheels are clad in the bodies of the children it has consumed, the panels in a paint created by the flayed skins.

This is a car so evil that it makes the Audi S1 a car a nun would drive. And I would drive the ever living poo poo out of it, leaving fire and brimstone in my wake.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Something makes me think it's a GAZ Volga of some description.

I went there too, but the grille and hood are wrong, and GAZ never had the vents.

You guys are at least making me feel like I'm not a total idiot. There's something really familiar yet not quite right about it, right?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

sofullofhate posted:

Want.

It's not a 50s full-size GM of any description. It's entirely the wrong size.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I fear just tapping the accelerator on that car a tiny bit would make it oversteer into a tree

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Chinatown posted:

Oh my God.

Cat Terrist posted:

This is a car so evil that it makes the Audi S1 a car a nun would drive. And I would drive the ever living poo poo out of it, leaving fire and brimstone in my wake.

The engine is a 5-psi-supercharged 6 liter Mercedes V12.

More info: http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/07/shelby-would-have-approved-the-v12-cobra/

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 1, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You Am I posted:

I fear just tapping the accelerator on that car a tiny bit would make it oversteer into a tree

You, me, and Bill Cosby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-JQksYxgM0

The local paper posted these up - they're each only half AI since it's a 'then and now' sort of thing.

So apparently Scottsdale PD had three goddamn Bricklins back in the day as patrol cars.

And what's not to love about the last street-circuit F1 race in the US?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

IOwnCalculus posted:

And what's not to love about the last street-circuit F1 race in the US?
Recently found a youtube of one of those races:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCnEvX5A77Y

I guess in theory it's nice, but it was like the most boring racetrack I've ever seen. All square uninteresting turns, no spectators at all from what I could see, every part of the circuit looked like every other. Huge walls lining the entire thing. Like the opposite of everything that makes Monaco fun.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Motronic posted:

I think the 917 flat 12 is the winner.

if you count the intake runners that is a 16 cylinder.

in_absentia
Feb 6, 2008

LYNCHINGS ARE WHAT GIVE THE SOUTH ITS CHARM!
:3:
(not a bigot)

sofullofhate posted:

Want.

Look up some info on Yank Tanks, there used to be a fascinating documentary on Netflix about this solely Cuban phenomenon. Basically there are a lot of pre-embargo cars down there and a whole culture devoted to keeping them running with no access to parts.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

in_absentia posted:

Look up some info on Yank Tanks, there used to be a fascinating documentary on Netflix about this solely Cuban phenomenon. Basically there are a lot of pre-embargo cars down there and a whole culture devoted to keeping them running with no access to parts.

you mean like this?

I went to Cuba in 2008 (:canada:), I can post some more car pics later today, just heading out the door for work right away

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

What always amazes me about those Cuban cars is how nicely they are painted, and how good the bodywork is (or appears), all straight lines and very well taken care of. I have no idea if a tropical climate is that much better for rust than a bit more north, as I suppose you'd have higher humidity, but those cars always look great.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Astroman posted:

What always amazes me about those Cuban cars is how nicely they are painted, and how good the bodywork is (or appears), all straight lines and very well taken care of. I have no idea if a tropical climate is that much better for rust than a bit more north, as I suppose you'd have higher humidity, but those cars always look great.

I would imagine that when new cars are very hard to come by, you take really good care of the one you have.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nocheez posted:

I would imagine that when new cars are very hard to come by, you take really good care of the one you have.

This plus the increased availability of real craftsmen who know how to work with their hands. You know, people who can beat panels properly and rebuild parts rather than just swapping them with lovely rebuilds from AutoZone.

And the fact that their labor/time economy is vastly different and more suited towards this type of time-intensive repair.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Motor Trend did a bit where they visited Havana and walked around the car scene and talked to old dudes and panel beaters. It's incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-aALD7XVls

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
I heard most car are frankenstein-ish because some run russian motors that were installed in the 70s-80.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Q_res posted:

It's not a 50s full-size GM of any description. It's entirely the wrong size.

Actually, it does look like a '55 Buick 4-door. The roof, windshield and body lines are correct, but the grille is wrong and the hood has had that ornament added. I'd bet that it needed a new grille, and they used what was available. It probably has a forklift engine, too, given how they have to scrounge for parts.
I feel like I should recognize the grille, but I got nothin'

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

You Am I posted:

Remember that guy who won one of these in some company contest? Ever notice how you don't hear from him anymore?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I guess in theory it's nice, but it was like the most boring racetrack I've ever seen. All square uninteresting turns, no spectators at all from what I could see, every part of the circuit looked like every other. Huge walls lining the entire thing. Like the opposite of everything that makes Monaco fun.

:ssh:

But yes nobody went to it and Bernie got all butthurt when he found out that the Chandler Ostrich Festival drew a bigger crowd.

Doesn't make the picture of a F1 car in front of a church downtown any less cool :v:

Speaking of cars that would kill you as soon as let you look at them, have a cutaway of a 930.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

boxen posted:

This was the Ramchargers, correct?

Yup. The Ramchargers were probably the battiest bunch of gearheads during that time and came up with some outrageous cars. Their first was "High and Mighty" in 1958 which consisted of this for power:

...and this to tell you when to shift:

That's pretty damned AI if you ask me!