Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Yeah but that was early on, at this point there's literally no way you're going to convince any 3rd party to spend any amount of extra time and money on a WiiU port, which is going to continue the rapid decline in 3rd party support of even the most bare-bones, outsourced ports.

The only way is for Nintendo to supplement or subsidize 3rd party projects ala Platinum or buy up companies like Atlus and build up in-house IPs and pump out software. Again, they can afford it, they have a metric fuckton of money they need to spend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Strange Matter posted:

That's a fair enough comparison, but it's a little silly nonetheless because it's not like it's the benchmark for an observably trend given that it's happened exactly once, with the Dreamcast itself.

Three times. Dreamcast, Jaguar, 3DO.

Only console in history a Naughty Dog game failed to help.

Strange Matter posted:

As Greatn said I was referring to the 32x in particular, but if that's not enough of its own console you can staple the Sega CD to that as well, which together make up enough failed ventures to at least equal one Virtual Boy.
Was the Sega CD a failure? I know that the 32x definitely was, but I always thought the Sega CD was a moderate success, one that manages to make a small profit. That was what convinced them to go ahead with the 32X.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

abagofcheetos posted:

Also, we really need to stop comparing the Wii U to the Dreamcast, because the comparison isn't even close. For example, at this point, the Dreamcast had the following games:

NFL2K
NHL2K
NBA2K
Sonic Adventure
Soul Calibur
Marvel vs. Capcom
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Crazy Taxi
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Rayman 2
Dead or Alive 2
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Chu Chu Rocket
Virtua Tennis
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter 3: Double Impact
Tony Hawk Pro Skater

And by the end of the year would have had:

Power Stone 2
NFL2k1
F355 Challenge
Samba De Amigo
Quake 3 Arena
Jet Grind Radio
NBA2k1
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
Capcom vs. SNK
Test Drive LeMans
Skies of Arcadia
Grandia II
Shenmue
edit: and Seaman, how could I forget glorious Seaman?

These consoles aren't even in the same league.

Totally off topic but:

Holy poo poo. I don't remember the DC having so many awesome games by the end of its first year. Pretty insane it still failed.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Totally off topic but:

Holy poo poo. I don't remember the DC having so many awesome games by the end of its first year. Pretty insane it still failed.

I remember being turned off by it because of the lack of games brought over during the Saturn era (seriously, they were dicks) and it being kind of pushed as the sports/bro console in commercials.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Totally off topic but:

The Dreamcast is my favorite console, bar none. I wish the Playstation 2 hadn't killed it.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

midwat posted:

The Dreamcast is my favorite console, bar none. I wish the Playstation 2 hadn't killed it.

To be fair, wasn't PS2 the most successful console ever?

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
To be fair, as awesome as the Dreamcast is, fuckin PS2 man. Holy poo poo. I'm still buying games for it, and I still play it often. I'm pretty sure I put more hours into my PS2 now than I have in the 360, PS3, and Wii ever.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Snix posted:

To be fair, as awesome as the Dreamcast is, fuckin PS2 man. Holy poo poo. I'm still buying games for it, and I still play it often. I'm pretty sure I put more hours into my PS2 now than I have in the 360, PS3, and Wii ever.

The PS2 had a great run, no one's disputing that. If the WiiU is in a downward spiral of "low sales caused by lack of support caused by low sales," then the PS2 is the textbook example of the opposite.

The Dreamcast's run, though, was brief and spectacular - it had basically every team at Sega hitting their creative peaks at the same time. After it, quality Sega games came few and far between.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I really doubt that the Dreamcast could have supported its quality long-term. In a way, its probably better that it managed to go the way it did. It was Segas last triumphant hurrah in consoles - a flame that burned briefly, but oh so bright. Better that than having a good opening, but having support drop away and being left to stagnate for 5 years before being discontinued.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Snix posted:

The PS2 is probably the best example of what consoles should aspire to. It's library was huge, you can't even make a proper top ten list because every genre had at least 10 really good worthwhile games. I've got a little over 300 games for the system myself because for a good long while a lot of quality games were going for a dollar or so and then you had sales like the Gamestop buy 5 game get 5 free or buy one used PS2 game get 10 free.

Now things are getting back up there in price, the entire .hack series will probably run you close to 300-400 bucks.

With the X-Box One, Nintendo probably might still have a chance to seize the number 2 spot. But they need games, like shitloads of games coming out. Because Sony seems to be recreating the PS2 with the PS4 and they're getting everyone under the sun to develop for the system. The PS2 was one of the largest launch libraries a system had too and the PS4 is set to rival it if everything stays on target.

I'd really like the Wii-U to at least be doing better than the Xbox One. Microsoft blundered which really shook my confidence in the company as far as long term decisions were made. I want to see a 3DS style turnaround for the Wii-U, I still don't get why they can make such good decisions for their handhelds but seem unable to do the same for their consoles.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 2, 2013

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

WendigoJohnson posted:

I'd really like the Wii-U to at least be doing better than the Xbox One.

Unlike Nintendo, Microsoft is very willing to spend money and I'd imagine they'd spend their entire warchest to avoid such an embarrassment.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
WiiU is doomed to compete with the Vita, of all things.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

OatmealRaisin posted:

Why do third parties continue to produce expensive looking games for the Vita, by the way? It just seems weird, the sales can't be that much higher.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

greatn posted:

Why do third parties continue to produce expensive looking games for the Vita, by the way? It just seems weird, the sales can't be that much higher.

They kind of don't. The Vita is suffering a pretty big drought of games. Soul Sacrifice is probably the biggest one and Sony specifically pushed to get that made. Valhalla Knights 3 is a good seller recently but that really isn't big budget. Most of the big budget titles you see for the Vita are ones Sony is helping push/Sony IPs.

It's doing better than the Wii U in that it gets PS3 cross-ports and that the PSP and that, like the 3DS, it's pretty welcoming to low-budget titles. However most of the third parties really interested in the Vita are Japanese, likely owing to the PSP's massive popularity in Japan. The best stuff they've gotten lately has been Indie and that is because Sony has engaged in a massive Indie outreach program with the PS4/Vita.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 2, 2013

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

greatn posted:

The majority of games lately have been more indie games. Stuff like Hotline Miami, Thomas Was Alone, Limbo, Stealth Inc., and so on.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Space Racist posted:

Unlike Nintendo, Microsoft is very willing to spend money and I'd imagine they'd spend their entire warchest to avoid such an embarrassment.
They're also willing to make drastic changes in their business plan in response to public reception, which is something Nintendo is reticent/incapable of doing.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Totally off topic but:

The Dreamcast was an amazing, amazing machine. It was just three years ahead of its time and made by a company that couldn't afford to prop it up long enough for the world to catch up. Crying goddamn shame.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

OatmealRaisin posted:

I actually feel like the Vita has a better chance of turning its fortunes around than the U does at this point, but Sony doesn't seem interested in bothering. Between it and the PS4 it will offer a more compelling second screen experience than the U, and with PS+ getting free games like Uncharted and Gravity Rush is a hell of a lot better than Nintendo offering up the crappy NES port of Donkey Kong for thirty cents.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

CapnAndy posted:

The Dreamcast was an amazing, amazing machine. It was just three years ahead of its time and made by a company that couldn't afford to prop it up long enough for the world to catch up. Crying goddamn shame.

Wasn't a part of the DC failing due to the Sony hype machine surrounding the PS2 as well?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

J-Spot posted:

I actually feel like the Vita has a better chance of turning its fortunes around than the U does at this point, but Sony doesn't seem interested in bothering. Between it and the PS4 it will offer a more compelling second screen experience than the U, and with PS+ getting free games like Uncharted and Gravity Rush is a hell of a lot better than Nintendo offering up the crappy NES port of Donkey Kong for thirty cents.

The funny thing is that the Wii already has a ton of great games on the VC. If they wanted to, they could just put up a handful of the N64 big hitters on the WiiU VC (Zeldas, Mario 64, StarFox, etc.) for sale and it would do pretty well, not to mention give owners something to loving do.

But they won't because....

And you see, the reason they're trickling out one virtual console release per week is

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 2, 2013

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

J-Spot posted:

Sony could turn it around if they offered to help localize stuff in the west. (hint hint: Tales Hearts/Innocence)

The Wii U looks to have some decent games over the horizon, there aren't a lot of them, but they are there. I can't say the same for the Vita, all I see is Ys.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

CapnAndy posted:

That year I had the Dreamcast before the PS2 launched was pretty magical. People in my dorm i didn't even know stopped by just to catch a glimpse of Soul Calibur; it was so beyond anything else available at the time. It's too bad the Wii U didn't get a year like that before the PS4 and Xbone came out. At this rate, I wonder if it will ever get a title graphically on par with an Uncharted or The Last of Us.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Probably not. A self imposed "cartoony only" style will mean that even on hardware as meager as what the WiiU has, they likely won't tap its full potential.

Unless they attempt for a "grown up" Zelda like with Twilight Princess again, but if so we still wouldn't see it til 2016.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DarkSol posted:

Wasn't a part of the DC failing due to the Sony hype machine surrounding the PS2 as well?
Yeah, partly. Nothing was gonna win against the PS2. Being up against arguably the greatest console of all time is just hard luck. But I gotta think that if Sega had the cash and the will to keep the Dreamcast in the ring and punching for a few years, it could have smothered the Xbox in its crib and won a hard-fought second place.

Really, Xbox was basically Dreamcast, except released when people were ready for those ideas and backed by a company with the money to make it stick.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Fulchrum posted:

Probably not. A self imposed "cartoony only" style will mean that even on hardware as meager as what the WiiU has, they likely won't tap its full potential.

Unless they attempt for a "grown up" Zelda like with Twilight Princess again, but if so we still wouldn't see it til 2016.

There is nothing wrong with stylized graphics.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, partly. Nothing was gonna win against the PS2. Being up against arguably the greatest console of all time is just hard luck. But I gotta think that if Sega had the cash and the will to keep the Dreamcast in the ring and punching for a few years, it could have smothered the Xbox in its crib and won a hard-fought second place.

Oh please. Argue that it could have competed all you want, but absolutely nothing was gonna stop Halo. The game that singlehandedly sold the Xbox wouldn't have been shut down by the Dreamcast.

Far more likely it would have just thrown the Gamecube into fourth place, and made it even less relevant than it already was.

Syfe posted:

There is nothing wrong with stylized graphics.

Did I say there was? Please stop putting words into my mouth.

The guy asked if they would ever make a game that looks as realistically beautiful as Uncharted 2 or The Last Of Us. If they focus exclusively on stylization, no.

midwat
May 6, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Really, Xbox was basically Dreamcast, except released when people were ready for those ideas and backed by a company with the money to make it stick.

The Xbox really did seem like the spiritual successor to the Dreamcast for a while, with the Shenmue, Jet Set Radio and Panzer Dragoon sequels. Also Peter Moore running both for a time.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010
I feel like the thread title should be changed to "Is the Wii U Nintendo's Gamecube (again)?"

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Fulchrum posted:

Did I say there was? Please stop putting words into my mouth.

The guy asked if they would ever make a game that looks as realistically beautiful as Uncharted 2 or The Last Of Us. If they focus exclusively on stylization, no.

Sorry, I mistook your intent.

That said, my hope with the Wii U, for whatever it may be, wasn't hyper realistic graphics. I'd hope for more stylized games, and hope that in the coming years, just like with the Wii, that companies might utilize the Wii U to create games on a smaller budget rather than with the bloated budgets games have today.

I have a PS4 on preorder and own every console out at the moment, but nothing bothers me more than runaway budgets that do nothing for the games themselves, creating unrealistic sales expectations for games.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
We already have an answer to that. Its called the indie scene.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Fulchrum posted:

We already have an answer to that. Its called the indie scene.

I think it alleviates it somewhat, but doesn't solve it completely. It's a step in the right direction, so long as it doesn't create some bizarre class division, which was pretty visible last generation. Indie games can be great, but to some degree we've lost a bit of the middleground, you see indie games and AAA titles, we need to have more variety, the PS2 for instance had a great variety of games that had varying budgets and styles. It was great, right now we have AAA titles, shovelware and indies (with the Wii making up the slack a bit for middleground with games like Last Story and Xenoblade, great games but not technically impressive.)

Maybe I'm wrong, but this is how it feels to me. Of course, a lot of the middleground has moved to handhelds, which is bothersome in it's own right.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
What about stuff like The Puppeteer?

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I'm not saying that they don't exist, but that they're getting smaller or axed by companies in favour of safe bet AAA titles (or safe bet phone shovelware/ports). I'm really happy to see Sony doing things like Knack, I think it gives some hope for the gaming industry to expand and relax a little bit from everything needing to be AAA all the time, maybe then we'll actually see more variety in games that has been sorely missing this previous generation.

Syfe fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 2, 2013

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

But you're looking back at what the PS2 was with the benefit of hindsight. When it debuted, no one "knew" it was going to be the greatest system of all time. Sony and the gaming media hyped the poo poo out of their console and they won the war due to propaganda.

Also, it didn't help that the PS2 had a DVD player included right around the time that DVDs were getting huge. If the Dreamcast had a DVD player too, I'm willing to bet it would have had a much stronger fighting chance in the market.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't think a DVD player was going to save the Dreamcast. That console was just very poorly marketed, no one wanted to buy one.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Bobnumerotres posted:

The funny thing is that the Wii already has a ton of great games on the VC. If they wanted to, they could just put up a handful of the N64 big hitters on the WiiU VC (Zeldas, Mario 64, StarFox, etc.) for sale and it would do pretty well, not to mention give owners something to loving do.

But they won't because....

And you see, the reason they're trickling out one virtual console release per week is

They could, but I seriously doubt thats going to shift any noticable amount of WiiUs. The idea that Nintendos first party titles shift consoles is a massive exaggeration and has been from the N64 onwards. Nintendo's problem is that they cannot market or give a compelling reason for people who do not care about the handful of franchises they update every generation to buy their consoles. A new Mario/Zelda/Starfox/Smash Bros gets you N64 and Gamecube levels of sales, the Wii was so successful because of it's appeal to a wider audience.

Releasing more stuff on the VC is just going to placate the small group of people who bought or would buy a WiiU anyway. Why they don't though is still a complete mystery.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

What I don't get is why there isn't parity between VCs? People obviously still play with the original Wii and Nintendo hasn't shuttered the online service for the Wii. Using Earthbound as an example, it would easily sell more on the Wii because there is a much bigger user base on the Wii than on the WiiU, yet only the dismal number of WiiU owners will get to play it legally outside of buying the original cart and a SNES.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

DarkSol posted:

What I don't get is why there isn't parity between VCs? People obviously still play with the original Wii and Nintendo hasn't shuttered the online service for the Wii. Using Earthbound as an example, it would easily sell more on the Wii because there is a much bigger user base on the Wii than on the WiiU, yet only the dismal number of WiiU owners will get to play it legally outside of buying the original cart and a SNES.

Why release something desirable for a console that is, not just on it's way out but more or less gone?

Besides, the Wii U may have backwards compatibility but it's a pain to boot into (at least I hate doing so.)

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

I said come in! posted:

I don't think a DVD player was going to save the Dreamcast. That console was just very poorly marketed, no one wanted to buy one.

People may not remember this nowadays, but after the ps2 lauched the most common item purchased along with it were dvds. The ps2, like the ps3 was to bluray, was the cheapest player at launch. The main difference being that people actually bought and wanted dvds ofcourse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

I said come in! posted:

Lets not forget how pitifully easy it was to pirate on the thing. Even still, what I would give if they ported the DC version of Soul Reaver to other platforms.

• Locked thread