Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

dy. posted:

This is nothing new - I actually think playing on Continents is kind of like easy-mode, surprised that it seems to be everyone's preference.

Frontier is objectively the best map type. One large, varied continent with all terrain types and lengthy mountain ranges.

I've really been enjoying donut lately. Similiar to inland sea except the map wraps around instead of having solid edges and there's even less land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Spies would be so much nicer if it didn't autosteal when the timer runs out. Wait a loving turn, goddamnit!!

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

TheGame posted:

Don't send spies to a civ's capital! I learned that watching MadDjinn. If there's a chance to catch a spy in a secondary city, it's pretty small.

Non-capital cities generally have pretty lovely tech potential is the problem. It's tough enough to rely on Spies to keep up in tech, and inhibiting an already slow tech steal rate doesn't help.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Is there a way to permanently purge a religion? I can't raze holy cities.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

UberJumper posted:

Control all cities with that religion in it, purge the religion with a great prophet.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

UberJumper posted:

It's possible, but kind of difficult, depending on how many other cities the religion has spread to.

1. Conquer the holy city
2. Use a great prophet on it
3. If there are any cities within pressure range of it of the old religion, you must convert those too.

The other cities are capable of bringing the holy city status back, if they get enough pressure or if they get a missionary to the holy city.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Away all Goats posted:

1. Conquer the holy city
2. Use a great prophet on it
3. If there are any cities within pressure range of it of the old religion, you must convert those too.

I was informed by this thread the only way to truly kill a Holy City is with an Inquisitor. Otherwise it'll always magically regenerate 1 follower that exerts the normal Holy City amount of pressure.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Also: I believe you have to have totally wiped out the civilization that started that religion? But I've never cared enough to actually hunt down the one poor bastard that's still worshipping Jesus.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Verviticus posted:

I don't think this is actually a thing in civ5. It was in civ 2-3-4 and AC but I think you have to get the world congress resolution for this? I haven't noticed it, at any rate. Consider: all AIs start with writing on deity but you don't get it any faster than on king.

None of the AI's start with writing on any difficulty level. If you see them with it on turn 2 it is because they popped a hut.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The White Dragon posted:

I was informed by this thread the only way to truly kill a Holy City is with an Inquisitor. Otherwise it'll always magically regenerate 1 follower that exerts the normal Holy City amount of pressure.

That can't be right. I've wiped out a religion before by conquering the Holy city then prophet bombing every city of his. As long as that religion has zero presence in any other cities, I don't think it can come back. Maybe it was changed for BNW

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Marketing New Brain posted:

None of the AI's start with writing on any difficulty level. If you see them with it on turn 2 it is because they popped a hut.

Yeah, oops. Change it to whatever, mining, the wheel.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Chomp8645 posted:

Herein lies the problem. It actually is a feature in Civ 5! Unfortunately the bonus is so loving small that it might at well not exist and it will never help anyone actually come back if they're behind in tech.

Yea it's a totally non-functioning mechanic. The main reason i'm glad that Science is basically a back-up victory plan is that being a science lead means you can probably win any way you want to anyway, it doesn't need to be also the explicit victory condition.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

What I'm saying is that more games need rubber band mechanics. Hell, even freakin Mario Kart on the god drat Super Nintendo realized that you should give people who are behind a slight speed boost because it's no fun if one guy dashes ahead and stays there the rest of the match.

Trade embargoes - the blue shells of CiV.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
Any of you mod writing wizards able to replicate this mod? All it does is highlight the Natural Wonders in the Strategic View. I looked through the Steamworks mods and do not see it among them.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is there any way to airlift units to an allied city state? It's me on one continent and Spain on the other, and I've got 1 ally on her continent. I'd love to just air drop my army onto her continent and go to town.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

I kinda wish they changed it so the world council didn't automatically advance to Information-Age level when one player got there, it should be the same as all the other advancement rules. One of the first BNW games I played, I didn't know this and was going for a science victory. Ended up handing a diplomatic victory to Alexander.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a way to increase research time, but leave production time normal speed? I'd like to spend more time in each era, but have large armies fighting and such.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

cams posted:

I kinda wish they changed it so the world council didn't automatically advance to Information-Age level when one player got there, it should be the same as all the other advancement rules. One of the first BNW games I played, I didn't know this and was going for a science victory. Ended up handing a diplomatic victory to Alexander.

It does work the same. The final World Congress level that unlocks World Leader is half in Atomic or one in Information. The World Congress works like that for all advancements.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Is it actually possible to go for a culture victory if you are doing a quick game? I tried to do that but only got three policies full before the year 2050.

Oct 28, 2003

cams posted:

You should really take out anyone who is allied with all the city states. Doubly so if it's Alexander.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ManOfTheYear posted:

Is it actually possible to go for a culture victory if you are doing a quick game? I tried to do that but only got three policies full before the year 2050.

Don't play the base game anymore. BNW is 100x better.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I am far from a Civ expert and just gently caress around with my girlfriend on prince difficulty, and even on that low setting I have found that BNW has completely hosed the way we earn gold. Now that tiles don't directly give gold, how can we make income? I have tried making trade routes with nearby city-states (10 tiles is a joke one huge maps and makes it impossible to trade much) yet by turn 100 I have been at -30 gpt for the past 30 turns. It's maddeningly frustrating. By the time I discovered guilds to make trading posts, I was so far negative that a few +1 gold tiles won't do anything to save me. How can I cope with the massive economy nerf in the expansion?

I go for a second city around ~30 turns and a third by 60. At least that's where I am in my current game (my first BNW game). I want to try and expand with many cities, and I'm playing Austria so I can buy out city-states too. Though right now it seems like I'll be perpetually negative so it may never happen. :eng99:

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 2, 2013

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
How many cities do you guys normally drop down total?

Well, that was an interesting game. I recently got back into civ 5, and still playing vanilla, don't quite have the cash for gold upgrade or bnw yet.

Played on a small continents Map with low sea level as gandhi with Washington, Elizabeth, nebbacanezzar on my continent. Siam, native America, Egypt, and Arabia all had island continents to themselves, to tech up at their leisure.

Our continent was essentially a ring with a huge lake in the middle, and each of us were in a corner. I was in the top left, Babylon to the right, America to the bottom left, England to the bottom right.Well Washington was a dick the whole game. Attacked constantly. I settled my second city next to the lake above where it curved, across from a city state. This created a narrow opening that was very easy to defend; just block the opening with meat shields backed by archers, then later siege equipment.

With my city there to add to the defense, and spare archers watching the lake to pick off the pitiful water invasions he sent my way, in addition to the castle wonder that gave units in friendly territory more power and the forts I made during a peace period (after I culture bombed his border away), with all that, he wasn't getting in.

Babylon had all game by himself to tech up. Washington ate lizzy and attacked me cause we we're closer. I'm Gandhi, I was going for a culture victory, but all the production I spent on units and gold to maintain the gpt, I've fallen behind. The other civs are two eras ahead. I had a ship pass by a native America to see they had helicopters, when I still had Calvary.

Siam has completed one space ship part. Egypt, almost four culture trees. Babylon has started his slow trek across the continent, and has devoured half of Washington's cities. I know I'm next. Im building planes to intercept, and nuclear weapons. I've lost, but im not going without a a whimper.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Deep Winter posted:

don't quite have the cash for gold upgrade or bnw yet.

They made a Cash for Gold DLC for Civ V? Who's the leader, this person?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They made a Cash for Gold DLC for Civ V? Who's the leader, this person?

Glenn Beck, leader of Glennbeckistan.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Richard M Nixon posted:

I am far from a Civ expert and just gently caress around with my girlfriend on prince difficulty, and even on that low setting I have found that BNW has completely hosed the way we earn gold. Now that tiles don't directly give gold, how can we make income? I have tried making trade routes with nearby city-states (10 tiles is a joke one huge maps and makes it impossible to trade much) yet by turn 100 I have been at -30 gpt for the past 30 turns. It's maddeningly frustrating. By the time I discovered guilds to make trading posts, I was so far negative that a few +1 gold tiles won't do anything to save me. How can I cope with the massive economy nerf in the expansion?

Sounds like you just got a little unlucky with other civs' placements because even on large maps, the AI usually settles a city or 2 near enough to me that I can get to it with the first trade route. I think the problem might be that prince AI is much slower to expand so that's actually making it harder. But there are also a lot of buildings you can get that extend the range and yield of trade routes, including the caravansary which you get before trade routes.

You also get more gold from civs than city states usually, and from sea routes rather than land. And there is still gold from luxuries, so improve and work those where you can.

If you already knew all of that, then maybe just add an extra civ on the map if you're playing on huge. Or try to keep your costs low by keeping an eye on your building/unit maintenance and not building stuff you don't need, although I rarely even worry about that on emperor. Once you get some trade route boosting buildings up I think you'll find that the economy hasn't really been nerfed.

Edit: In case it's not totally clear, trade routes are the main way you're going to be making your money, so make sure they're used up ASAP. Oh and I forgot to mention you can also trade luxuries/borders/embassies with the AI for GPT, although I think on the lower difficulties their GPT tends to be low.

Starks fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 2, 2013

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Richard M Nixon posted:

I think you're either missing or have misconstrued some of the basics here.

1) Hexes still make gold (where did you get the idea they don't?). The only difference is that rivers don't grant a bonus anymore. However it's true that without luxury resources it will be difficult to make much gold off working hexes alone, but that would be a pretty unlucky start to have none around.

2) Yes, land trade routes have a short range at first. Sea routes are longer though, and generally more profitable. On top of that, both can land and sea routes can have their ranges significantly extended via the Canavansary (whatever that ridiculous word is) and Harbors respectively. I believe some techs might extend the range too, not sure though.

3) Trade routes to city-states are almost always less profitable than to other civilizations. At first it may impossible to get to anyone else, but once you can reach other civs try to trade with them.

4) Here are some other ways to make gold!
- Look around for luxury resources. Cotton, Spices, Gold, and Gems in particular are great sources of money when worked, and there are plenty of others that offer respectable income.
- Plunder! Capturing cities or even just pillaging improvements can net you some respectable cash.
- Get tribute from city states. If you have a large military that's wearing you down with maintenance, threatening city states is an easy way to get some cash for little effort.
- Great Merchants. Most people ignore them, but if you're facing chronic cash shortages consider prioritizing some. If settled early they can generate a lot of cash over the course of a game.
- Don't go overboard with unnecessary buildings. Not every city needs a barracks. Putting up buildings everywhere just for the hell of it is a great way to rack up a big maintenance bill.
- Use Religion. If you found a religion there will be multiple ways to increase your income with it.
- Take advantage of free buildings whenever possible. The Tradition tree offers free monuments and aqueducts, and the Piety tree lets some religions buildings make money. Also, many World Wonders create a free version of their lesser building in the city (the Great Library put a free library in the city it was built, the Great Lighthouse makes a free Lighthouse, etc...)

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 2, 2013

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Sorry if this was posted in the last 5 pages of the thread (still catching up), but this is a a great promotion chart that someone on the Gaming Stack Exchange posted:

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/15846/is-there-a-diagram-showing-the-requirements-for-each-promotion posted:

On the left are the unit types. An archer signifies all regular ranged units, a cannon all siege units, etc.

The promotions appear in black rectangles. A promotion with more than one rank lists all the ranks with their effects. Acquiring a higher rank requires the rank before it first.

The leftmost promotions are the basic promotions - those do not require anything except for themselves. The rest of the promotions are either blue - unlocked from rank 1 of any of the base promotions; yellow - unlocked from rank 2; or red - unlocked from rank 3. For example, unlocking the Sortie promotion requires either Dogfighting rank 2 or Interception rank 2.

Some of the "melee promotions" are limited to a subset of melee unit types - in those case a small icon signifying the allowed unit types appears above the promotion. For example, Charge is only available for mounted units (horseman / knight / lancer etc.) and tank units (Panzer, Tank, Modern armor, Giant Death Robot). If no icon appears, it means the promotion is available to any unit types appearing on the left. The Rifleman icon is for units without a ranged attack but that use gunpowder technology, such as a Rifleman or an Anti-Tank Gun.

Edit: Well...crap, looks like its for vanilla Civ5, at the very least it doesn't include the naval melee promotions.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 2, 2013

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
As I recall, trade route income factors in the gold output of the home city, so you might want to get those luxury resources worked quickly to boost your income. Another reason to go Tradition, since faster growth means more citizens to work those tiles. And it's partly why the Colossus is so good if you can get it, because on top of its trade route bonuses there's a flat +5 gold on it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

I think you're either missing or have misconstrued some of the basics here.

1) Hexes still make gold (where did you get the idea they don't?). The only difference is that rivers don't grant a bonus anymore. However it's true that without luxury resources it will be difficult to make much gold off working hexes alone, but that would be a pretty unlucky start to have none around.

2) Yes, land trade routes have a short length to start. Sea routes are longer though, and generally more profitable. On top of that, both can land and sea routes can have their ranges significantly extended via the Canavansary (whatever that ridiculous word is) and Harbors respectively. I believe some techs might extend the range too, not sure though.

3) Trade routes to city-states are almost always less profitable than too other civilizations. At first it may impossible to get to anyone else, but once you can reach other civs try to trade with them.

4) Here are some other ways to make gold!
- Look around for luxury resources. Cotton, Spices, Gold, and Gems in particular are great sources of money when worked, and there are plenty of others that offer respectable income.
- Plunder! Capturing cities or even just pillaging improvements can net you some respectable cash.
- Get tribute from city states. If you have a large military that's wearing you down with maintenance, threatening city states is an easy way to get some cash for little effort.
- Great Merchants. Most people ignore them, but if you're facing chronic cash shortages consider prioritizing some. If settled early they can generate a lot of cash over the course of a game.
- Don't go overboard with unnecessary buildings. Not every city needs a barracks. Putting up buildings everywhere just for the hell of it is a great way to rack up a big maintenance bill.
- Use Religion. If you found a religion there will be multiple ways to increase your income with it.
- Take advantage of free buildings whenever possible. The Tradition tree offers free monuments and aqueducts, and the Piety tree lets some religions buildings make money. Also, many World Wonders create a free version of their lesser building in the city (the Great Library put a free library in the city it was built, the Great Lighthouse makes a free Lighthouse, etc...)

These are all good points. Here are some more tips: Sell your resources. Find some people to make friends with early on and sell them your excess resources. Hell, even sell them your non-excess if you have happiness to spare. On standard speed they'll give you 240 gold for each luxury if they are your friends, or 6gpt if they are not. Strategics are worth 45 gold or 1gpt. Embassies are worth 25 gold or 1gpt. On longer speeds, the lump sum prices are higher but per turn prices are not.

If you're running into money problems because you have a large army, use that army to demand tribute from city states. Having the #1 army in the game gives you a good chance to demand tribute if you just have a single unit nearby. Smaller armies need more troops nearby to extract tribute but it should be possible even with a middle of the pack army to extort city states with four or five units. You could march them around city state to city state if you really want. edit: Oh, I see you already covered this.

Settle a city far away from your main empire just to get closer to civilizations for trade purposes. This is a desperate move for desperate times. But if you really have no cities eligible for international trade, settling a distant city just to do it will definitely pay off. Settle that city, build a caravansary in that city and a couple caravans elsewhere and move them to that city. Make sure to also bring a worker or two so you can work some nearby resources, as that will increase trade route income.

And of course, city connections still grant you income. Don't neglect building roads. General rule of thumb is to build a road to a city from your capital once that city is as large in population as it is distant (so a city six hexes away needs to be size six to make up for the road maintenance).

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Anyone know if the Longbowman keeps its +1 range on promotion and if it stacks with the +1 range promotion you can get anyway?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Their +1 range is the +1 range promotion, they already have it.

Chomp8645 posted:

and the Piety tree lets some religions buildings make money

A temple costs 2 gold in maintenance so the city has to produce about 20 gold for you not to lose money on it.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I bit the bullet, here is a Steam Group for BNW Goons. Someone said that we make it if there is interest, but we can gauge the interest this way, too. JOIN IN and lets play against each other till the game is Goonified and no one has anymore fun.

I guess it does not exclude any versions anyhow. I added a link to an open TS3 channel, but the Goon Mumble Channels should have space, too.
Join in. I will make admins out of people as soon as there is folk in the group so I dont have to manage it by myself.

Any suggestions for description, I will add in later.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonciv

We should be able to organize some games. Even if on quick.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Aug 2, 2013

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Fryhtaning posted:

Trade embargoes - the blue shells of CiV.

I played a Marathon game as the Shoshone, I was in the northern part of the continent, and Greece was in the south. Alexander decided to get his conquest on and started snapping up bits of his neighbors. I had control of the World Congress but he gained proposal ability due to his city-state relations and was looking to become a major player. To keep him in his place, I proposed a trade embargo on Greece, which all of his neighbors were very happy about since Alexander was wrecking their poo poo. However, in the intervening time before the vote, I think all of his neighbors realized that Greece was going to be their only big trading partner even if Alexander was a huge threat to them, and eventually everybody in the south loving denounced me. The vote squeaked by with a pass with help from my two remaining allies Brazil and the Iroquois, but no one else's opinion of me went above "Guarded" the rest of the game.

Soon after, Hiawatha asked me to denounce Pedro. I refused, and Hiawatha immediately denounced me and soon closed off borders. We'd been strong allies up to that point, and that really hosed me up because one of my big cities was cut off from my main empire due to his borders. I had the strongest military in the game though, and he was dealing with rebellion, so I just took the city that was cutting me off. Pedro and I soldiered on in friendship alone and prospered in the warm glow of Freedom, while that dirty commie Hiawatha was soon dealing with a negative-100 happiness level and his empire started flipping over to me left and right.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shaka declares war on Siam, brings a pretty good army, sieges their closest city down to nothing. They then walk away with their spearmen and instead send them to Siam's capital where they get cut down. They never take that first city that they're continuing to bombard down to zero hp with all of their ranged while all of their melee is feebly attacking and dying to the capital. I could literally snipe that city with a freaking scout right now if I wanted to be a dick but instead I just quit because every time I see something so utterly ridiculous it just makes me want to stop playing. Why is the AI so loving awful? My god, is it dreadful.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Shaka declares war on Siam, brings a pretty good army, sieges their closest city down to nothing. They then walk away with their spearmen and instead send them to Siam's capital where they get cut down. They never take that first city that they're continuing to bombard down to zero hp with all of their ranged while all of their melee is feebly attacking and dying to the capital. I could literally snipe that city with a freaking scout right now if I wanted to be a dick but instead I just quit because every time I see something so utterly ridiculous it just makes me want to stop playing. Why is the AI so loving awful? My god, is it dreadful.

Isn't AI being bad a basic video game rule?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ManOfTheYear posted:

There's standard bad video game AI, and then there's Civ V. Civ V's is way below the average for the genre. It rivals Empire: Total War for the crown of worst strategy game AI.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 2, 2013

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Yes, but there's a certain level of AI incompetence where you just have to start questioning the programming behind it.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Reading the postmortem about CiV that Schafer guy did, it sounds like the AI is very difficult to program because it's a mess of interlocking systems and it's hard to tell it to do specific things. So you cant just program a line that says "always loving conquer a city thats been bombarded to nothing" because god knows which combinations of weird variables is producing the behavior that you are seeing.

They wanted to program something that approached human and ended up with this weird unknowable robot that just acts seemingly randomly. I always wonder why programmers dont go for a much more deterministic approach in strategy games and just give AI's predeterminded, optimized strategies (which is what Schafer is doing in his new game apparently)

babypolis fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Finally got my Deity difficulty achievement, what a bloodbath. Started out with 6 civs/12 CS and finished with 4 civs/0 CS.

After a few bad starts where I got crushed early with that Poland/Oracle build, I went with a peaceful Venice, since that's absurdly easy on lower difficulty levels. I started on my own little peninsula - so far so good. I ignored religion and wonders and beelined for Optics to get a merchant. Then like 15 turns in Suleiman drops a city right on my doorstep and completely blocks me off, I had no military to speak of, so I had to spend what gold I had frantically buying up the bordering tiles.

Portugal and Ottoman were next to me and formed a bloc that rapidly destroyed the neighbouring cities. I kept plying them with a lot of trading and giving in to their demands to get them off my back, all the while I was swallowing up the closest CSes with merchants and shipping their food back to Venice. I ended up going straight for Forbidden Palace as my 1st wonder, and having to use spies to pick up the rest of the shipping tech so I could get my trade routes healthy. On the other side of the world Alexander had already beaten the crap out of his neighbours by the time I met him. Portugal, the Ottomans, and Greece had all heavily out-teched and outgrown me at this point, and within a few turns my spies told me all 3 were plotting against me. Great. So I spent half my GPT getting Portugal to declare war on the Ottomans, and then paid Greece the other half to declare war on both of them. No diplomatic penalties for me!

What followed was pretty much a giant three-way war between them for thousands of years while I kept paying them to fight, and doing my own thing in the corner. The other civs and CSes all got caught in the middle of that mayhem and were wiped out.

Even then it was close, I was treading water until the the end. I had to spend most of my money on military staving off Portugal, Alexander was maybe a few turns from winning the world leader and I noticed it too late, but he got into another tiff with Portugal and his remaining allied CS all got quickly eaten. The rest of the CS in the world had already been bought out by me (it seemed a good idea at the time), so no one had the required votes. After that close call I just ignored the ideologies, went hard in research/rationalism and eeked out Globalization in time for another vote. The Forbidden Palace pretty much saved my game in the end I think.

• Locked thread