Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Fallom posted:

That kind of goes without saying for most first-person games.

Yup. So as much as I'd love to play any type of FPS mine craft type game I know not to bother because its ridiculously bad to control.

Sucks because the one where you build a base to kill waves of enemies looked cool, but I couldn't control it to save my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
I watched a kid playing Minecraft on a 4S and he was kicking rear end, blistering poo poo like a korean youtube speed run. I kind of just think the issues with controls are because we're old, we're poo poo, we're like grandpapa running his sticky ball mouse with fur all around the internal rollers on the CRT monitor that he keeps degaussing at a really frightening, gorge-agitating rate that you feel in your cortex.

WASD's the high we can't come down from.

I like Deus Ex and Kairo's controls, though. Which are essentially the same. I can often get moving headshots in Deus Ex too and that's my benchmark for good controls, anyway.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Helmacron posted:

I watched a kid playing Minecraft on a 4S and he was kicking rear end, blistering poo poo like a korean youtube speed run. I kind of just think the issues with controls are because we're old, we're poo poo, we're like grandpapa running his sticky ball mouse with fur all around the internal rollers on the CRT monitor that he keeps degaussing at a really frightening, gorge-agitating rate that you feel in your cortex.

WASD's the high we can't come down from.

I like Deus Ex and Kairo's controls, though. Which are essentially the same. I can often get moving headshots in Deus Ex too and that's my benchmark for good controls, anyway.

Nah, touch controls are inherently awful for that sort of thing and in any FPS game that lets people hook up a gamepad they wipe the floor with everyone else.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Since I've stepped inside already, maybe some other recommendations. Any cool Sid Meier's Pirates like games out there? Not specifically Pirates (I have it and don't think it's the best port on iPhone, a lot more should have been built from the ground up for mobile). The game still managed to suck me in for hours, regardless.

Also haven't seen too many non-JRPG noteworthy RPGs. Perhaps not the best medium for the genre, but maybe there's something I've missed (XCOM's too big, and I'd prefer something a bit more open).

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah even though Angry Birds' breakout into other bits of culture is stupid I don't think anyone can fault Rovio for making genuinely good games.

Copying old flash games = genuinely good

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Man it'll be nice to play any game in my backlog that adds controller support once they add it (if they bother).

To actually be able to play MvC2 would be semi-neat.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Trucking: Porking Simulator (Parking)

They just released an update that supports overhead and first person views.

You can press an eyeball icon that brings up a menu of camera anchor points, around the truck. This feature seems to have really polished my experience with simulated truck driving/parking.

It's a nice, little scratch for a Euro Truck Sim 2 itch.

If they added pickup/drop off missions with some generic landscaping, recycled buildings and 3d terrain, it would be a full trucking game.

I seriously hope they attempt to make a sequel with actual trucking missions/deliveries.

Still can't figure out what the paid version unlocks.

cname fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 3, 2013

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Man it'll be nice to play any game in my backlog that adds controller support once they add it (if they bother).

To actually be able to play MvC2 would be semi-neat.

How many older games are going to support it? I'm really excited about it but it seems like one of those things that the game will have to have built in support first, right? It won't just recognize in screen buttons, correct?

Edit: The final boss of Knightmare Tower can go eat a dick, man. It just seems so far past the point of "fair". Doesn't help that it's a loving rage face either.

omg chael crash fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 3, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
I'm not sure I get Safari Rescue. Yeah it's goofy and dumb, but every time I travel more than a dozen pixels with an animal in my net the drat helicopter bounces to the top of the screen and the animals go flying. This is broken and unplayable.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Bummey posted:

I'm not sure I get Safari Rescue. Yeah it's goofy and dumb, but every time I travel more than a dozen pixels with an animal in my net the drat helicopter bounces to the top of the screen and the animals go flying. This is broken and unplayable.

And extremely, extremely laggy. And for some reason.

Does anyone find that games like crash until I reboot my phone if I just downloaded them. Not all of them Rhymkapsel didn't, but KRF did.

E: I understand some of these heroes are on sale. Any I should grab while they're cheap?

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 3, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

SpookyLizard posted:

Does anyone find that games like crash until I reboot my phone if I just downloaded them. Not all of them Rhymkapsel didn't, but KRF did.

I've never had that problem but many, many apps say in their descriptions to restart your phone after downloading them to prevent crashing. It's not just you, there is a history of that happening.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Bummey posted:

That's because it's a terrible, broken and unplayable game that has a little bit of goofy charm.

Knightmare Tower is a perfect pooping game.

Rhymkapsel is absolutely fantastic. I was up late playing it last night and am now stupidly tired.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Kingdom rush may be the best dollar ive spent recently. Singular dollar. The best two was Breach and Clear, and the best three KRF and four is Rhymkapsel. Which owns.

Are any of the heroes worth buying in KR/F? I like sending the legions of peasants to distract enemies so Knightly McKickass can stab them to death. But i see a dragon and pirate and stuff well i cannot say no to dragons and pirates.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
If the little dudes in Rhyme Capsule would move faster then I think I would like the game more, but gently caress they are so slow. I wish they started out at monolith-improved speed. Also, I was a little disappointed to find that the map wasn't randomized, or if it was, it was only the piles of particles that were in different positions.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

SpookyLizard posted:

Kingdom rush may be the best dollar ive spent recently. Singular dollar. The best two was Breach and Clear, and the best three KRF and four is Rhymkapsel. Which owns.

Are any of the heroes worth buying in KR/F? I like sending the legions of peasants to distract enemies so Knightly McKickass can stab them to death. But i see a dragon and pirate and stuff well i cannot say no to dragons and pirates.

None are really essential to buy, the basic heroes do the job well enough depending on the level you're on. The best heroes in terms of usefulness and power are the wizard and protoss guy, the rest are a little too slow or a little too gimmicky. The healer lady is probably okay but she's hard to use/dies a lot/is weak so you're practically wasting your hero slot until she's level 8 or 9. And even then, unless you really love your barracks (wizard towers or don't bother!), she's going to be useless unless she has a ton of units to heal.

The dragon is kind of bleh because he floats above the ground and his shadow (where he would be standing were he a ground unit) is hard to see, making his ranged attacks hard to use. You know how ranged units have a weird dead zone and they don't attack enemies that are too close? It's doubly difficult with the dragon because he's never quite where you think he is.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 3, 2013

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The wizard was one of the ones I was thinking of getting. Any in Kingdom Rush The Original worth the cash?

I've been playing the original KR mostly, using the basic hero you get first. Knightly ShieldBangin' McSwordface. I've been loving the ability to call in two little peasants to distract dudes for a second, which feels so right calling them in to occupy enemies for Knightface to smash, usually alongside a group of militia occupying dudes in the free fire zone of some wizards and artillery.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tried out Foursaken's game that isnt Block Fortress, Heroes and Castles. Its a castle defense game, like Battle Cats, except 3d and you've got a player character to control. You get to pick out of a few starting choices, and can unlock more characters by paying with earned or buyable gems. The gems are also used to upgrade your castle's buildings between rounds, like the turret towers and gold mines to improve efficiency, or your units, to make them more durable, shoot further, etc.

As for gameplay, it's fun enough at lower levels, but at higher ones, the lack of balance between units becomes apparent. There's no real need to mix things up if you keep spamming the best basic troop which can quickly mop up enemy forces, or giants when you unlock them, that keep all the enemy troops just flying through the air. Same thing in siege mode, where you can play the enemy and attack a castle. Once you unlock the suicide bomber, there's not really any point in creating anything else as they're the best thing to keep throwing.

The hero units arent that great either. You cant really fight off an enemy army by yourself, so investing in attacks is pretty much a waste compared to skills that buff your troops overall. Then there's unlockable skins that go for the price of 4-8 upgrades, which dont do a thing as far as I can tell.

Still, fun enough for a few playthroughs!

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

:woop: Kingdom Rush update! :woop:

Also, has anyone else played Joe Danger? Its kinda like a combination of racing/runner/rhythm games and I can't recommend it enough. Its on sale for 0.99 and it owns all of the bones.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Can anyone recommend some good deathmatch/competitive games for a few people? Been enjoying space team but I want to beat my friends into pulp. Been trying trigger fist for some CS style gameplay but its a bit mediocre.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

omg chael crash posted:

How many older games are going to support it? I'm really excited about it but it seems like one of those things that the game will have to have built in support first, right? It won't just recognize in screen buttons, correct?

Yes, games will have to be updated to use it.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

haveblue posted:

Yes, games will have to be updated to use it.

However, I don't think it's particularly hard to shoehorn it in, so I anticipate studios will go ahead and do so--especially as it might help them get a new uptick in sales because hey! controller support!

(Kepa, please tell us you're going to put controller support in Mage Guantlet because I want to play that game so bad, but I can only do so on a controller)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Captain Matchbox posted:

Copying old flash games = genuinely good

Yeah well I can't play Flash games on my iPhone whilst pooping so :colbert:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I snagged Eclipse after wanting to scratch a Sci-if itch I've had lately. I've never been into board games or turn based games like it, and therefore am kind of bad.

Any advice?

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

Axiem posted:

(Kepa, please tell us you're going to put controller support in Mage Guantlet because I want to play that game so bad, but I can only do so on a controller)

Yeah, we will. We always avoided it before because there was no Apple support for it, so no standard API. Adding support for new features that Apple wants to push seems like a pretty good thing to do, as extra incentive.

iOS FUN REVIEWS: Drowning didn't even last a day on my phone. The worst of Glu's free-to-play design combined with "level design" that's even worse than Gameloft's stuff. Rymdkapsul was pretty cool though I got tired of it fast. Briefly played that Judge Dredd game because I'm going to steal the auto-aim system but make it not suck. Pivvot was cool.

Looks like I'm releasing some new stuff in October now. Had tons of delays with projects recently. Been working on Wayward Saga and a newer project, a zombie apocalypse road trip game, interactive fiction elements (King of Dragon Pass basically) mixed with action-adventure segments where you explore cities and fight huge hordes. Might post a video about this in a week or two as a "does this look good" sanity check.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Kepa posted:

iOS FUN REVIEWS: Drowning didn't even last a day on my phone.

Same with me, the last I heard of Drowning was how it was supposed to be this revolutionary fps on ios with a control system that was built from the ground up to full utilize touch controls. I was excited to downloaded but disappointing when the game play just consisted of running to one side of a small arena area, doing a 180, shooting a few times, and then repeat until a timer runs out.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Kepa posted:

Pivvot was cool.
Second this. It's like Super Hexagon for people who couldn't quite handle Super Hexagon, which is a good thing. Looks neat and sounds awesome, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvb68dq3ku8

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Good loving god. How much space do I need for this X-COM update? I have freed up 5 gigs and it still isn't enough. I'm guessing it's 6.4 since the game is 3.2 gigs?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah. You might want to download it via itunes and sync from your computer instead. Apparently this doesn't require the 2x space that installing from mobile does.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Kepa posted:

Looks like I'm releasing some new stuff in October now. Had tons of delays with projects recently. Been working on Wayward Saga and a newer project, a zombie apocalypse road trip game, interactive fiction elements (King of Dragon Pass basically) mixed with action-adventure segments where you explore cities and fight huge hordes. Might post a video about this in a week or two as a "does this look good" sanity check.

That sounds really fun, can't wait to hear more about it. Hopefully other developers try taking some inspiration from Dragon Pass, too.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Is it shallow to go from loving Knightmare Tower to mild dislike after noticing "Like a sir" then the goddamn rageface boss? Felt like Reddit just took a massive poo poo all over it.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
For Heroes&Castles, just upgrade peasants then make as many as possible. Then you can sneak behind enemy and attack comfortably while your peasants are dying.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Anyone still playing Simpsons Tapped Out? It's been so long since playing a timer based game that's its fun again, and it also has really really good content.

My name is drvideogames0050 - add me cuz I think it gives me money faster or something.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
I missed the 45 minute monolith research by approximately a minute while I waited in the cold for the local library to open and I'm fairly certain I'm never going to play Rymdkapsel again. I put the undeletable Newstand app on the third page of my iPad so I could put Rymdkapsel on the fourth. I don't want to delete it yet, but I hate it, I hate it with all of everything and I just can't see the icon right now.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Anyone still playing Simpsons Tapped Out? It's been so long since playing a timer based game that's its fun again, and it also has really really good content.

My name is drvideogames0050 - add me cuz I think it gives me money faster or something.

Added you. Mine is Sean-1st if anyone else is playing.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Sad lions posted:

Is it shallow to go from loving Knightmare Tower to mild dislike after noticing "Like a sir" then the goddamn rageface boss? Felt like Reddit just took a massive poo poo all over it.

Yeah, I felt the same exact way. I gave the end boss about 20 tries before I gave up and deleted it, I just couldn't handle that drat rage face anymore.

Edit: Also don't forget the drat "fffuuu".

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Aesis posted:

For Heroes&Castles, just upgrade peasants then make as many as possible. Then you can sneak behind enemy and attack comfortably while your peasants are dying.

This is a cowardly way to fight. You should be leading the charge of getting your peasants slaughtered. They should be honored to get to spill their blood for you.

E: kingdom rush is pretty fun, forcing legions of soldiers to die so the wizards may lazily zap mooks from their towers is awesome. Occasionally some real soldiers set up a fort to launch arrows or something, and my magic missile flinging hero just sits and watches as squad after squad falls to the oncoming hordes.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 4, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Cry Havoc posted:

Added you. Mine is Sean-1st if anyone else is playing.

I am so jealous of your city. Tips? I'm guessing build a lot of plain homes?

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Beastie posted:

I snagged Eclipse after wanting to scratch a Sci-if itch I've had lately. I've never been into board games or turn based games like it, and therefore am kind of bad.

Any advice?

Try the iOS boardgames thread, brother. This thread is slightly more inclined towards alpaca clicking sims and tiny trains.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

So Maze of Darkness is currently free. Honestly it kinda looks like crap and I probably won't bother to play it unless someone proves me wrong on this, but hey, free.

http://appshopper.com/games/maze-of-darkness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

So as someone curious about the civilization series but has never tried it... Is Civ Revolution worth even approaching? It doesn't look like much but it's cheap right now and I'm willing to be wrong.

• Locked thread