Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
Anybody mind explaining to me what exactly it means to play as a merchant republic or a Norse country? What sets them apart from the other nations (well, dynasties) of CK2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Baronjutter posted:

-Research seems different, there's like a button that lets me "invest" in the research but they're all grayed out despite having tons of money. Is this like in eu3 or is there a new ruler-based research point ability I'm not figuring out?

Research is carried out with research points, not with gold, and in addition, technology passively spreads over time. Your ruler's stats and buildings in your demesne determine how many research points you get, and there are three categories of research points, military, economic, and social. It takes quite a bit of time for enough research points to accumulate to invest in tech, but don't worry, technology is also passively spreading into your realm. When you have enough research points in a category to invest in any of the aspects of that category, you'll get a notification about it.

A more detailed explanation here.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Baronjutter posted:

So I haven't played ckII for a while, I don't know if it's the latest patches or the Old Gods I just bought but there's a few concepts I'm having a hard time with and the wiki is kinda lovely at explaining...

You might want to repost this in the dedicated CK2 thread, but I can answer some questions here!

- Basically: like before, each province has different levels of research in each tech. (Siege Equipment, Trade, etc, etc.) Unlike before, you now accumulate 'points' over time, split into three categories: economic (stewardship + learning), military (martial + learning), and the last one that I don't recall at the moment, but which is also x + learning. When you accumulate enough points, you can spend these points to immediately raise the level of a tech of your choice in your current capital.

Mousing around the tech screen should be able to clear the rest up.

- On the religion screen, you can mouseover the icon in the top-right to get details about the requirements for reforming the Norse faith. Basically, you need religious authority and a ton of piety. Try capturing holy sites, raiding churches, and winning holy wars. (You can find holy sites by clicking on the religion map mode, and then on a Norse province.)

- Navies are the same as ever, with the notable exception that at the early start (866), many provinces don't have the tech to build ships, and so have no naval levies. The Norse don't have to worry about that, though. (They have all too many ships.)

- Might be worth consolidating your holdings under your direct control, sure. Especially if your vassal dislikes you.

Cities and churches work the same way as for Christians.

- You can create a norse merchant republic, but, the number of trade posts a republic can hold is limited by tech level, and starts out at 0%. In the early game, it's very easy to make a merchant republic that cannot trade!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Anybody mind explaining to me what exactly it means to play as a merchant republic or a Norse country? What sets them apart from the other nations (well, dynasties) of CK2?

Norse start out with an unreformed pagan religion, which means that they cannot have succession types better than gavelkind or crown authority higher than low, but get a free casus belli on neighboring provinces. They can also raid non-Norse for gold, and sail down major rivers. (That last is specifically Norse.)

Merchant republics are really weird and play very differently from feudal nations. Basically, they care about getting rich, not about holding land, and are stuck in permanent seniority succession.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Merchant republic: Your dynasty is based out of the family mansion, and you build trade posts around the sea your republic is based on, instead of politics being focused around the relationship between vassal and suzerain, politics is instead internal to the republic, with family fueds and plots to sieze trade posts. However, on the matter of external politics there are other republics around, and while you are doge you are always vying with other republics to ensure your city is the top dog, by bribing kings and dukes to go to war with your rivals. You also get money, lots of money, and the primary way you will wage war as a republic is by hiring mercenaries.

Norse: :black101: Declare your intent to gently caress up some kingdom's poo poo and watch as adventurers from all over flock to your banner to share in your glory, sail up people's rivers and take their stuff without even being at war with them, kidnap people and sacrifice them to odin! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApxnAr6pRt0

Norse Merchant Republic: ALL OF THE ABOVE

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Norse pagans have a lot of unique bonuses, decisions, and events. Norse Pagans get free use of the very powerful Subjugation CB until their first King title, and can from there use it every 10 years on any other kingdom. Non-Norse armies get a huge attrition penalty in Norse lands. Norsemen can sacrifice non-Norse prisoners for prestige and piety. Norsemen can use the Prepared Invasion CB. Norsemen are locked into Gavelkind succession until their religion is reformed, which can be done by a particularly powerful Norse ruler. Pagans can set their armies to be raiders, where any foreign territory they pass into will be raided, letting you take prisoners, and the gold will go into your treasury. The Norse are the most fleshed-out pagan faction, but other pagans have unique bonuses as well. For instance, Zoroastrian vassals like you more if you've married your sibling, and a Zoroastrian ruler who's restored the Persian Empire can declare themself the Sashoyant, or Zoroastrian Messiah. There's a lot of other more minor changes and a huge amount of flavor in there as well.

Merchant republics get unique events and decisions as well. You establish trading posts on foreign shores, bringing you a huge amount of money, other merchant republics and other families within your own republic are always conspiring to take over or destroy your trading posts so you have to stay on top of them.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Baronjutter posted:

-Research seems different, there's like a button that lets me "invest" in the research but they're all grayed out despite having tons of money. Is this like in eu3 or is there a new ruler-based research point ability I'm not figuring out?

You gain Research Points based on your ruler's stats. Learning boosts all three types; in addition, Diplomacy helps you learn Cultural foo, Military for Military, obviously, and Stewardship for Economic. In addition you earn Military tech points by fighting.

See the boxes above the tech lists with the numbers in them? Mouse over those numbers and it'll tell you how many points you're getting (this is a handy tip for most everything in CK2; if you don't understand a gameplay mechanic, find something to mouse over and see if there's a tooltip. There usually is).

These points are then 'spent' to rank up a tech. You can mouse over the purchase button to see what the gains will be.

Tech improves only in your capital province; it then 'spreads' naturally to neighboring provinces. Your advisors, when placed in a province on their Research jobs, accelerate the speed of tech growth - they don't actually create tech points themselves.

Finally, when you place your Spymaster in a province on a Steal Tech mission, then your capital province is considered to b a 'neighboring province' to wherever your Spymaster is for the purposes of tech spread, so that tech will spread from (say) Constantinople to Denmark.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

poo poo guys I always forget there's a dedicated CK2 thread. In my excuse I'm only starting this game with the intent to later convert it to EU4 so really this is a purely eu4 related line of inquiry!

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

thread posted:

Norse and republic stuff.

Welp, looks like I'll be investing in a copy of the Old Gods during the Steam winter sale. You still get the republic aspects of a Norse republic with only Old Gods, right?

Baronjutter posted:

poo poo guys I always forget there's a dedicated CK2 thread. In my excuse I'm only starting this game with the intent to later convert it to EU4 so really this is a purely eu4 related line of inquiry!

You and me both. In my own defense, I rarely used to play CK2 (I'm only just starting to warm up to it) so I usually have little reason to remember that thread even exists.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Welp, looks like I'll be investing in a copy of the Old Gods during the Steam winter sale. You still get the republic aspects of a Norse republic with only Old Gods, right?

Eh, in the sense that you could make a merchant republic vassal if you are playing as a norse ruler, yes, but if you want to actually play as a republic you'll need the Republic DLC too.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Any word on that demo?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Zotix posted:

Any word on that demo?
On the most recent stream Johan said they're hoping to get one out by the end of next week.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Beamed posted:

To be fair, if the manual was written by a random forum user like some others, there's going to be plenty of downright wrong information :v:

I think it was, but I've been proofreading/correcting the manual/guide/eu3vseu4 documents, so hopefully nothing is too terrible. Didn't get to see the flowchart until it was public though :negative:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Darkrenown posted:

I think it was, but I've been proofreading/correcting the manual/guide/eu3vseu4 documents, so hopefully nothing is too terrible. Didn't get to see the flowchart until it was public though :negative:

That would explain why the flowchart clearly doesn't account for grognards. :goonsay:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Do you think Pretty Borders should be the primary driving goal of a nation's foreign policy? Yes -> Play EUIV! No -> GTFO.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

Do you think Pretty Borders should be the primary driving goal of a nation's foreign policy? Yes -> Play EUIV! No -> GTFO.

I'd love if there was a "pretty borders" casus belli in EU4. Even if it just occasionally shows up in AI vs AI wars.

"The 2nd War of Danish Pretty Borders"

:allears:

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Eu5: All nation boundaries shall be represented by regular 2 dimensional geometric figures.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Counterpoint: Koreasnake was the most beautiful nation to ever appear in a Paradox game.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
It would be great if there was a rare event that reveals your ruler has OCD and gives a "pretty borders" cassus belli against a neighboring province.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
All the de jure stuff in CK2 is an entire game of trying to make more perfect maps.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

elf help book posted:

All the de jure stuff in CK2 is an entire game of trying to make more perfect maps.

And it's great.

e: I assume the start date for EU4 is simliar to the start date in vanilla EU3? aka Holland is part of Burgandy?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

elf help book posted:

Just don't select the direct vassals button for too long or your head might explode.

In Rainbows
Feb 26, 2011

elf help book posted:

Duchy of Brandenburg has the worst borders but I guess that's the exception to prove the rule

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Waffles Inc. posted:

Well...

A culturally Welsh Catholic middle-east seems like a good place to start EU4

Culturally Welsh Catholic Middle-East? How about a culturally Scottish, Lollard Europe? :frogin:

This wasn't even my fault. All I did was put a relative on the throne of France. They then inherited Italy and the Byzantine Empire,and the AI proceeded to conquer the entire continent on its own. :stare:

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 3, 2013

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
That there is a world where haggis is in every home.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

axeil posted:

I'd love if there was a "pretty borders" casus belli in EU4. Even if it just occasionally shows up in AI vs AI wars.

"The 2nd War of Danish Pretty Borders"

:allears:

Well, if all else fails you could station an army on your borders called 'Pretty Border Patrol'.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

uPen posted:

And it's great.

e: I assume the start date for EU4 is simliar to the start date in vanilla EU3? aka Holland is part of Burgandy?

I don't know how much the world is changed between 1399 and 1444(?) but according to quill's playthrough, yeah, Holland starts out as Burgundian provinces.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

uPen posted:

And it's great.

Watch Quill's videos, he dwells on the loading screens long enough that you can tell what's changed with the 1444 scenario. Mapwise, the biggest change between 1399 and 1444 is the collapse of the Golden Horde into several smaller hordes.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So, would you guys say that EUIV looks to be a dramatic improvement over EU3 enough to get it? Like I enjoyed EU3 but it wasn't exactly amazing for me. I don't want to get EUIV and just not touch it.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

SkySteak posted:

So, would you guys say that EUIV looks to be a dramatic improvement over EU3 enough to get it? Like I enjoyed EU3 but it wasn't exactly amazing for me. I don't want to get EUIV and just not touch it.

Looks like EUIII with the CK2 engine powering it and some work done on the AI and making multiplayer possible.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Will the converter do anything with the Merchant Republics/Trade Zones? Reading about the totally revamped trading system, it seems pretty cool but I'm still trying to wrap my head around how it will actually play out.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Will the converter do anything with the Merchant Republics/Trade Zones? Reading about the totally revamped trading system, it seems pretty cool but I'm still trying to wrap my head around how it will actually play out.

Nope. The converter seems like it's ultimately going to be pretty barebones, if functional, and I wouldn't expect too much from it. It'll do province ownership and religion and make tags and rename nations and assign generic ideas, and generate new base tax values and even create vassals for countries with autonomous vassals. But that's about it. Merchant Republics will just get switched over to their equivalent government type in EU4.

Honestly I'm a little leery about it. I'm sure it'll be "good enough", but it really seems to me that if you want your exported game to be a coherent alt-history world you'll probably need to do considerable manual editing, as I plan to do for mine.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Watch Quill's videos, he dwells on the loading screens long enough that you can tell what's changed with the 1444 scenario. Mapwise, the biggest change between 1399 and 1444 is the collapse of the Golden Horde into several smaller hordes.

Speaking of which, do we know how Hordes are going to function in EUIV yet? Sorry if this is very old information that I'm dredging up, here.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

ChaosSamusX posted:

Speaking of which, do we know how Hordes are going to function in EUIV yet? Sorry if this is very old information that I'm dredging up, here.

from the manual: "The Golden Horde gets Horde Traditions, allowing them free reinforcements, and making it significantly cheaper to reduce war exhaustion."

and from the EU4 vs EU3 pdf:

Hordes posted:

We tried to differentiate the Central Asian horde nations in Europa Universalis III, but many of the mechanics we introduced were cumbersome. Now, the hordes are more similar to other countries, but different enough to make playing them a separate experience.

A horde is defined as a nation with the government type Steppe Nomad. They are the inheritors of the Mongol legacy. They also belong to a separate technology group which advances more slowly than their neighbours in Europe and Asia, and they also have a penalty on accruing power points.

A horde nation will always have a casus belli against other hordes to take their land, and they also have a casus belli versus any neighbouring country. This gives them a major advantage in starting wars.

The armies of horde nations are more effective on the plains and grasslands of their own territory, with a 50% modifier to the damage they do. They also get double the amount of money from looting, and will earn a small amount of army tradition,every time they loot a province.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
So the same old poo poo? Man, these systems just cannot represent nomadic peoples. I still have no idea how the Magyars are any different in TOG.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

So the same old poo poo? Man, these systems just cannot represent nomadic peoples. I still have no idea how the Magyars are any different in TOG.

Honestly, as long as there's no more Austrian Kazakhstan the same old poo poo doesn't bother me too much.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Darkrenown posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a big chunk missing from the buildings section of the manual since it only lists Admin buildings (and like 2 military buildings but there's no header for them and they're classed as admin buildings). It also doesn't list the MP cost of anything.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

What would you want the nomads to be? Giant cavalry armies that are killer on the plains, are better at looting poo poo, have an easier time of building up army tradition, are better able to bounce back after a war, and have free conquest CB's seems pretty different from most other states. Really, they sound kinda like a land-oriented version of the Norse of CK2, which certainly isn't the worst thing.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What would you want the nomads to be? Giant cavalry armies that are killer on the plains, are better at looting poo poo, have an easier time of building up army tradition, are better able to bounce back after a war, and have free conquest CB's seems pretty different from most other states. Really, they sound kinda like a land-oriented version of the Norse of CK2, which certainly isn't the worst thing.

How about giving nomadic peoples a population variable, making them so they can only control a certain amount of land and make the majority of the territory in those parts of Asia/Europe uninhabited. Using something similar to the colonisation mechanic (albeit faster) they can lose a territory in one place and advance it elsewhere, slowly moving the state around, representing changing patterns of migration. Population grows very slowly over time so they can influence more area, and if they change from being nomadic they settle down wherever they are. As other countries start colonising the wilderness in that area you feel more and more constrained until you have to settle down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
Does anybody want the copy of CK2 I got from preordering EU4? Just post your Steam info here or something (I don't have PMs, sorry :shobon:).

Edit: taken.

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 3, 2013

• Locked thread