Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Bland posted:

You guys like Breath of Fire right? (Disclaimer: Don't get your hopes up)

http://www.bof6.jp/pc/
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=641219

Your disclaimer didn't work. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
That Breath of Fire game looks so loving bad, why even call it Breath of Fire? I'd rather the series be dead than transformed into some generic online social rpg which will likely have billions of microtransactions.

The Fuck Juicer
Oct 16, 2012

I'm trying to hunt out some PS1 RPGs that have stood the test of time and aren't Final Fantasy or Legend of Dragoon. What can you all recommend?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

InnercityGriot posted:

That Breath of Fire game looks so loving bad, why even call it Breath of Fire? I'd rather the series be dead than transformed into some generic online social rpg which will likely have billions of microtransactions.

Like, it wouldn't even bother me if it didn't have that number on the end of it, mocking me with how much it pales in comparison to even the first game, which was so by-the-numbers that you could see Kemco publishing it on iOS/Android these days. People publish crap phone games with good IP attached to it all the time.

Because you know that it has effectively killed any potential going forward. What, are they going to put a new game on the 3DS (or whatever) in the future as Breath of Fire 7?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yohan Kebab posted:

I'm trying to hunt out some PS1 RPGs that have stood the test of time and aren't Final Fantasy or Legend of Dragoon. What can you all recommend?

Not Wild Arms 2. In fact, like, the opposite of Wild Arms 2.

Lunar Silver Star Story and Lunar Eternal Blue are both fun and very easy PS1 RPGs that have decently enjoyable casts of characters and setting. Standing the test of time is more for the translation and what it meant in the US (massive faults for the sake of fart jokes and all) than the gameplay though but its never obtrusive or bad.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

InnercityGriot posted:

That Breath of Fire game looks so loving bad, why even call it Breath of Fire?

It's 100% banking on name recognition to push a generic product. They still own the name but don't want to do any sort of legitimate RPG with it because the profit margins aren't good enough on those. Social games are basically free money if you have a decent name attached to it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh man I hope there is a desert where you're supposed to ask other players how to get through so I can force a new generation of people to travel the exact opposite direction you're supposed to go.

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012

Yohan Kebab posted:

Suikoden I and II are pretty dope.

Chrono Cross is great as long as you don't go in expecting a lot of similarities with Chrono Trigger. It's a beautiful game with a pretty cool combat system and non-terrible plot.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also a contender for having the best video game soundtrack ever made.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barudak posted:

Oh man I hope there is a desert where you're supposed to ask other players how to get through so I can force a new generation of people to travel the exact opposite direction you're supposed to go.

Don't forget Whelk riding on the grass plains!

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

dukerson posted:

and non-terrible plot.

Let's not tell lies.

Weren't the ingame directions for the desert of death wrong? Like, the npc who told you where to go was basically lying to you.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I would love to see another Skies of Arcadia game. The setting (Flying cities above the earth) isn't necessarily super original but I liked the way SoA did it. Also I really liked the airship combat.

Barudak posted:

Not Wild Arms 2. In fact, like, the opposite of Wild Arms 2.

I kind of liked WA2, I didn't realize that a lot of people disliked it so much

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

khy posted:

I kind of liked WA2, I didn't realize that a lot of people disliked it so much

WA2's translation may very well be the single worst translation an RPG has ever received. Even if every other element had aged perfectly, that translation is going to make it really hard to play. I actually kind of like the rest of WA2 despite myself but trying to play the English version is one step above plugging the Japanese script into Google Translate.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

WA2's translation may very well be the single worst translation an RPG has ever received. Even if every other element had aged perfectly, that translation is going to make it really hard to play. I actually kind of like the rest of WA2 despite myself but trying to play the English version is one step above plugging the Japanese script into Google Translate.

If I remember correctly when you transition into the final dungeon you get dialog which reads about this well

"It is growing, look there is a tail"
"This dimension must be stopped"
"It is like our souls"

To say nothing of the puzzles in the game which often became several times harder to solve than they needed to be thanks to the abysmal translation. And the scan mechanic. The lovely, lovely overworld scan mechanic.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Ah, I hardly even notice poor translations. I think it's a result of growing up in NES and SNES era translations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

If I remember correctly when you transition into the final dungeon you get dialog which reads about this well

"It is growing, look there is a tail"
"This dimension must be stopped"
"It is like our souls"

To say nothing of the puzzles in the game which often became several times harder to solve than they needed to be thanks to the abysmal translation. And the scan mechanic. The lovely, lovely overworld scan mechanic.

It's all poo poo like this. Amazing poo poo like this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Frankly, Wild Arms 2's translation is a plus, not a minus. It's so amazingly bad that I went through the entire game just to see what ridiculous poo poo would come out next.

Also, Valkyrie Profile is a PSX RPG that's aged well, mostly due to how unique it's mechanics are.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

Frankly, Wild Arms 2's translation is a plus, not a minus. It's so amazingly bad that I went through the entire game just to see what ridiculous poo poo would come out next.

Its what carried me through the game when I got it. Mechanically it was dreadful but I couldn't get enough of the writing even if I had to have a strategy guide open constantly for even the absolute most basic stuff.

Edit: If I remember correctly healing items couldn't be bought, only stolen. MP at the start of a round was determined by your level up to a maximum of 100 which meant early game you could barely cast anything without instantly running out of energy and late game you were spamming moves with no regard.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Endorph posted:

Also, Valkyrie Profile is a PSX RPG that's aged well, mostly due to how unique it's mechanics are.

I think the translation helped, too. Plus the voice acting was decent.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mill Village posted:

I think the translation helped, too. Plus the voice acting was decent.

And the voicework was done by the same studio that did the Pokemon anime, and half the actors didn't bother changing their voices for it!

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Bland posted:

You guys like Breath of Fire right? (Disclaimer: Don't get your hopes up)

http://www.bof6.jp/pc/
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=641219

The title is merely a coincidence and has nothing to do with the Breath of Fire series proper. Alternatively, someone looked at their calendar and thought today was April 1st instead of August 1st.

This is what I need to tell myself to stay sane.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Valkyrie Profile is a pretty decent game even now, mostly because it didn't even bother with 3D, which is what makes most PSX era games age so badly. The mechanics are solid, the sprite art is decent and the plot is barely there but functional. It's definitely worth a try if you liked later entries in the series.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

khy posted:

I would love to see another Skies of Arcadia game. The setting (Flying cities above the earth) isn't necessarily super original but I liked the way SoA did it. Also I really liked the airship combat.

Skies of Arcadia is amazing, and Nostalgia is probably the closest any recent game has come to being SoA. They even added Indiana Jones as the main character's dad, and set it in the real world circa steampunk 1800s. Unsurprisingly, it's not quite as good as the premise sounds, but it's worth playing anyway just for sheer novelty and making a good go at it. Airship combat also gets surprisingly difficult, even though on-foot combat is a complete joke the entire time.

cheetah7071 posted:

And the voicework was done by the same studio that did the Pokemon anime, and half the actors didn't bother changing their voices for it!

Huh, I never knew 4Kids actually did do a video game before.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Skies of Arcadia had so much lore and backstory that I would love to see expanded upon in a sequel.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Skies of Arcadia had so much lore and backstory that I would love to see expanded upon in a sequel.

As long as the final bossfight doesn't take 30-45 minutes while being completely non-threatening the entire time, I'm absolutely in.

Although I'm not sure what backstory there is really left to deal with since in game you discover almost everything unkown, new cloud layer travel, reunite trade routes, and defeat an ancient continent.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Barudak posted:

As long as the final bossfight doesn't take 30-45 minutes while being completely non-threatening the entire time, I'm absolutely in.

Although I'm not sure what backstory there is really left to deal with since in game you discover almost everything unkown, new cloud layer travel, reunite trade routes, and defeat an ancient continent.

Set it 100 years in the future and have a lot of the backstory deal with Vyse's legends and exploits from after the game?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
In Odin Sphere, before reading the final book I know I can of course revisit the older books. But doing so appears to have you literally start over from the beginning (albeit with your levels and items). If I just want to get a few more Painkillers or healing items or whatever before going into the final book, is there a way to exit out of the older books or do I really have to play through them again completely?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GulagDolls posted:

Weren't the ingame directions for the desert of death wrong? Like, the npc who told you where to go was basically lying to you.
I think the NPC was correct.

The note in your camp telling you what to do if you say loaded up the game later and didn't remember what he'd said was not.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Guys, FFIV didn't really do it for me, but I am keen to give FFVI a proper go. What is the best version/best way to play this game? Is the Gameboy Advance the best way to do it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

Guys, FFIV didn't really do it for me, but I am keen to give FFVI a proper go. What is the best version/best way to play this game? Is the Gameboy Advance the best way to do it?

Yes, the GBA version is the best. The sound quality is a little worse but otherwise it is mechanically the best version.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Cool - I bought the game on the PSN so I can play it on both PS3 and my PSP, but the load times and black screens and utterly tedious delays just ruin the experience for me...
I'll hunt down the GBA version now, thanks for the advice. Any little starter tips for someone who has literally not played even a full hour of this classic game?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
-When you get to the end of the floating continent, wait for Shadow.

-Feed the fast fish to Cid, not the slow ones.

-I'm pretty sure the GBA version fixed the Vanish/Doom/X-Zone trick, so that's probably not worth worrying about.

It's a pretty easy game, though there's quite a bit of optional content when you're at the end.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

there exists a hack for the gba version that restores the original sound. http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/657/

ff6 is really easy so there's not really much you need to be told. I guess, when you start getting espers, optimize so that everyone learns skills as fast as possible. but that's kind of common sense...

oh wait. there is one tip. When there comes a time where you have the option of leaving your ninja party member behind or choosing to wait for him, you must wait!!!

e: you should actually feed him the slow fish or you'll miss one of the best scenes in the game

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Thank you very much for the ROM hack advice - are there any other good ones I should know about? ie, some really good translations of older SNES RPGS? Any other good GBA RPG rom hacks you can recommend?
Were there any good Megadrive RPGs that never made it to the west that have since been well translated?

EDIT: Is Bahamut Lagoon something special? And why is everyone seeming so in love with Seiken Densetsu 3?

EDIT 2: I'm glad I just stumbled upon this site... it's an RPG nerd's treasure trove: http://fantasyanime.com/index

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 3, 2013

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

GulagDolls posted:

e: you should actually feed him the slow fish or you'll miss one of the best scenes in the game

yeah do this. it's a very good scene and the fast fish scene is awful and dumb

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

GulagDolls posted:

Yeah exactly. There is zero point in feeding him fast fish other than to waste a half hour of your time, miss The Best Scene in the game and probably in any snes era rpg, and get a dumb npc who never reacts differently to you again or features anywhere in the plot.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

And another thing: I bought a PS2 specifically to play Dragon Quest VIII, and I picked up Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter really cheap too. Now I'm wondering if the best way to play these games isn't actually to run them on an emulator on my PC?
Anyone got any insights on the pros and cons of doing it on an emulator vs doing it 'pure'?

EDIT: And I'm guessing that the best way to play Dragon Quest/Warrior III would actually be to play a translated SNES rom rather than the official English translation on the Gameboy Colour? How is the general vibe of DQIII - is it very similar to 4,6 and 9? These are the only ones I played. Loved them though.

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 3, 2013

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

BadAstronaut posted:

Thank you very much for the ROM hack advice - are there any other good ones I should know about? ie, some really good translations of older SNES RPGS? Any other good GBA RPG rom hacks you can recommend?
Were there any good Megadrive RPGs that never made it to the west that have since been well translated?

EDIT: Is Bahamut Lagoon something special? And why is everyone seeming so in love with Seiken Densetsu 3?

EDIT 2: I'm glad I just stumbled upon this site... it's an RPG nerd's treasure trove: http://fantasyanime.com/index

someone retranslated breath of fire 2. it's a lot better. http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1384/

bahamut lagoon is a pretty interesting game at first. i've never actually finished it though. it's pretty easy to lose track of what the heck is happening and thus lose interest in the plot entirely.

seiken densetsu 3 is a very beautiful game. I've replayed it like nine times. People probably like it a lot because it's so good looking and you get to form a party of different classes and your anime characters change appearances when changing classes and I dunno. it just feels good. The gameplay is pretty boring though. Apply debuffs+buffs and attack to win. The existence of several items that buff your characters and cost next to nothing make the distinctions between many classes meaningless, also.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Man, you guys are jerks. I got that scene once and that was plenty. Never again :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

EDIT: And I'm guessing that the best way to play Dragon Quest/Warrior III would actually be to play a translated SNES rom rather than the official English translation on the Gameboy Colour? How is the general vibe of DQIII - is it very similar to 4,6 and 9? These are the only ones I played. Loved them though.

DQ3 I'd guess is closest to 6 among that list? You get one hero character, and then populate the rest of your party with a bunch of player-made characters that can be swapped out pretty much whenever you want. The world's broken up into (mostly) little mini-vignettes of whatever area you're currently running around in.

It's a good game, and arguably one of, if not the most influential game when it comes to JRPG development--DQ 1&2 set some of the trends but a lot of JRPG conventions were cemented with 3. Also it had a really colorful release--that's the game where everyone cut school and work the day before release to line up outside of the store (in at least one place, with a line of over 10K people) and there were near-riots the day of release as after the game was sold out, people started mugging each other for their copy, smashing storefronts, etc. They passed a law regulating DQ releases after that.