Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

THE
GOD
OF
THUNDER

THE
WOMAN
OF
SCIENCE

It'd be more interesting if you flipped God and Woman.

It would been a version of this old What If comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
By the sacred beard of Odin, why is she beating up the Thing's kids?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rirse posted:

It would been a version of this old What If comic.

The Norse myths also have a lot of gender-bending in them. It's not once that Loki has tricked Thor into being a woman.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

What was the shock ending? What was it?!!?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Young Freud posted:

The Norse myths also have a lot of gender-bending in them. It's not once that Loki has tricked Thor into being a woman.

Isn't Loki a woman in the comics right now? Or at least recently?

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...
Is Marvel still doing a line of What If...? comics? They were my favourite when I was a kid.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Tripwyre posted:

Is Marvel still doing a line of What If...? comics? They were my favourite when I was a kid.

Yeah that and whenever they brought in Mephisto to just gently caress everything up and make every super hero look like poo poo. As a kid it was huge on me how he was stealing everyone's souls and then gave Wolverine his soul back because he's just an animal.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Fatkraken posted:

A few years ago. Now he is a little kid.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Fatkraken posted:

I think so. I know in Earth X, Loki tricks Odin into making Thor a woman to show him humility.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

tliil posted:

Let's stop insulting posters and get back to insulting posters.

I think we all know whom the true woman of science is:

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 3, 2013

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Young Freud posted:

You ever wonder how Odin got that 8 legged horse? Well it was because Loki prevented a Giant from getting a reward for building a wall by changing into a mare and letting the Giant's horse gently caress him/impregnate him. Yep, Norse and Classical Mythology were pretty weird.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I don't know what it is about this cover but I don't really like it.

Also the UK poster for You're Next

Slasherfan fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 3, 2013

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Slasherfan posted:

Also the UK poster for You're Next

I wonder what its about, that poster sure isn't very informative. Its a slasher film, there are multiple victims, at some point one of them is going to be the next one to be attacked. Maybe its advertising the slasher genre as a whole?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Clearly it's a movie about Bill Goldberg.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

SPEER

JAKHAMIR

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Oh wait, Goldberg never had a five star match. Nevermind, carry on.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The movie is six minutes long (including credits).

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

Ghostpilot posted:

Hoo boy that is a sweet 007 logo, "render clouds" and everything

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghostpilot posted:

Tara Reid is way more scientific, she has glasses:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

:effort:

I would kill for a decent Wes Anderson poster collection but these minimalist types are all over that poo poo.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Slasherfan posted:

They made a loving sequel to the loving remake of loving I Spit On Your Grave? My god...

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Slasherfan posted:

So, is I Spit On Your Grave 2 Unrated the controversial 2010 film, or did the director make a movie called 2010 Film?

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Winklebottom posted:

I would kill for a decent Wes Anderson poster collection but these minimalist types are all over that poo poo.

I needed a good warmup, thanks.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Winklebottom posted:

:effort:

I liked the Criterion covers for his films; there's a cloying "look-at-me I'm idiosyncratic" quality to them but that actually reflects the mood and themes of the film pretty well.

"One object on a solid background" is just the nadir of "minimalism" though.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I grabbed Criterion's version of The Royal Tenenbaums just last week and yeah it pretty much nails the feel of the film.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

I grabbed Criterion's version of The Royal Tenenbaums just last week and yeah it pretty much nails the feel of the film.

I should look into grabbing those, I kinda like the covers. Too bad it's hell getting them outside of the US.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It nails the look because, if I remember right, his brother does all those illustrations and includes them in the movie.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Winklebottom posted:

I should look into grabbing those, I kinda like the covers. Too bad it's hell getting them outside of the US.

Your local dvd/blu-ray/cd place might stock em. I picked mine up at HMV when I noticed they had a selection exclusively for Criterion. If you're outside north america then, I dunno.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
The Rushmore drawing looks really weird. The kid in the go kart is just floating in front of a load of iron bars.

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

Twenty-One: Hey guys, remember when 10-Speeds were, like, the coolest thing ever!
If I learned anything from these posters it's that having mad skillz on street bikes will get you all the ladeez!

Quicksilver (Spanish poster)

Key Exchange

Breaking Away (German poster)

American Flyers (which Costner followed 6 years later with a similar poster for JKF)

10-Speed

This movie (and it's star) is completely absent from IMDB. I was able to find this synopsis (written by the director) on an Amazon page where someone had a single VHS copy for sale.
"The story and screenplay for 10 Speed was written during 1978. It originated as an idea for a documentary on a real bikethon for charity. As the project evolved, it became a docu-drama, with fictional characters and some limited dialogue. It was intended to be shot in 16mm and to do a "blow-up" to 35mm for screening at select statewide film festivals. When Robert Lindstrom heard about the idea, he suggested that he wanted to write a full length screenplay for a 90 minute movie. It was decided at that time by Steven Hull and Lindstrom that the project go before 35mm cameras. They raised $55,000.00 to shoot the film, knowing additional funds were required to finish post-production, soundtrack and prints. It was shot over five and one half weeks during October and November 1978. All of the sound on location was recorded as a scratchtrack as there was too much noise polution of dialogue lines. Every line in the picture was rerecorded (dubbed). The entire rough post process took nearly a year on no budget. 14 tracks were mixed in late 1979 to facilitate screenings to sell the product. In 1981 Alan Roberts of Select A Tape took the incomplete project for remixing of tracks, music scoring and release printing. costing $50,000.00. In 1982 10 Speed was shown to buyers at the American Film Market in Los Angeles (Westwood), Cannes Festival and MIFED in Milan. Vestron/Lightning Video finally licensed it for U.S. Canadian domestic distribution."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ShufflerZero posted:

Twenty-One: Hey guys, remember when 10-Speeds were, like, the coolest thing ever!
If I learned anything from these posters it's that having mad skillz on street bikes will get you all the ladeez!

You forgot one...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Young Freud posted:

You forgot one...

That's a fixie, not a 10 speed :colbert:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

ShufflerZero posted:

American Flyers (which Costner followed 6 years later with a similar poster for JKF)

This is the movie that got me to buy my first bicycle. :patriot:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Racing bikes are awesome and I won't hear an ill word spoken about them :colbert:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Winklebottom posted:

Where are you based? Both Amazon and Barnes and Noble ship outside the US; express shipping for a 5lb box to Australia (as in I ordered on Thursday night, and will have it on Tuesday) cost $50. If I had wanted to wait another ten days it would only have cost $25 but I needed one as a present, and it was even better because Barnes and Noble currently have 50% off Criterions...that sale usually rolls around again in November.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Vintersorg posted:

It nails the look because, if I remember right, his brother does all those illustrations and includes them in the movie.

Are you talking about Richie? If it were based on his drawings the cover would just be Margot reading.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

No, he meant Eric Chase Anderson, Wes' brother.

http://www.style.com/stylefile/2010/10/paper-chase-the-art-of-eric-chase-anderson/

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Young Freud posted:

You forgot one...

I never saw RIDE LIKE HELL was it any good?

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Ohhh my stupid. Thank you for letting me know he exists!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick Hard
Sep 10, 2011
The original Volcano posters didn't give the viewer a clue as to what Tommy Lee Jones would be doing in the film. Luckily bluray cover artists have come along to give the viewer a much more tantalizing picture of what they're in for.