Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Marketing New Brain posted:

I liked post patch Vanilla better, but the consensus was that it got better than BTS after G&K

Huh, really?

By and large, the impression I got - accurate or no - was that the consensus was nothing in Civ V really topped BTS. How much of that is due to nostalgia (though it's not like it's been decades since BTS...) is another question entirely however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Crazy Ted posted:

Looking at that spreadsheet, is it just me or could it use a little tweaking?

Also, to that poster who mentioned Gandhi: here's how I'd end his introduction

"Better luck with the Romans this time Boudicaa." I feel really bad for the Celts in their description in-game, it's basically just "Well at least you pissed Nero off some".

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Safety Scissors posted:

Is this game as good as Civ 4 beyond the sword? Please keep the discussion short.

BTS is better but Civ 5 is actually legit good now.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Safety Scissors posted:

Is this game as good as Civ 4 beyond the sword? Please keep the discussion short.

Nope, not even close. Civ V is objectively worse than Civ IV BTS as long as the AI remains in such an utterly abysmal state. It's so awful that it drags the entire experience down every step of the way.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
As someone who never played a civ game before 5, what was so great about 4 and the Beyond the Sword expansion?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

"Better luck with the Romans this time Boudicaa." I feel really bad for the Celts in their description in-game, it's basically just "Well at least you pissed Nero off some".

Casimir III of Poland, can you establish a civilizat---wait you guys are playable for some reason?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

As someone who never played a civ game before 5, what was so great about 4 and the Beyond the Sword expansion?

Better diplomacy. A more interesting tech tree with more viable ways to progress your nation. Better unit balance. An AI that can actually be competitive in middle and higher difficulties (it's not great but it's miles above V's). Better systems that limit empire growth, like its empire-wide maintenance and city specific happiness systems. Better tile yield, improvement, and city management mechanics. Increased moddability with more interesting player mods. The combat is average. It was good for a 4X game at the time but at this point I prefer the hex based one unit per tile style system in theory. In practice, Civ V's is horribly imbalanced and poorly implemented and I hesitate to call that better, as well. It probably is, but both games' combat are lacking. And there are some things I like more about the unit stacking system in IV like stacked workers.

The stuff added to Civ V in the expansions are great for creating more interesting ways to customize your nation and create interesting strategies out of them, but it feels like the depth is completely wasted due to stuff like the AI and poo poo combat. I'm not saying Civ V is a poo poo game or anything, it just has some really high highs and some really low lows, and I honestly don't really know how I feel about it. While I know how I feel about Civ IV, it's one of my favorite games of all time and I still go back and play it every now and then.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 4, 2013

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Greetings noble Lord Oda Nobunaga of the Japanese people. You're pretty much regarded by history as a mustache twirling, puppy kicking, psychopath. Go hog wild with your screaming hordes of suicidally fanatic followers. Can you finally prove that a katana can cut a tank in half? Can you build a civilization that will be romanticized by your descendants and baka gaijin alike?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Better diplomacy. A more interesting tech tree with more viable ways to progress your nation. Better unit balance. An AI that can actually be competitive in middle and higher difficulties (it's not great but it's miles above V's). Better systems that limit empire growth, like its empire-wide maintenance and city specific happiness systems. Better tile yield, improvement, and city management mechanics. Increased moddability with more interesting player mods. The combat is average. It was good for a 4X game at the time but at this point I prefer the hex based one unit per tile style system in theory. In practice, Civ V's is horribly imbalanced and poorly implemented and I hesitate to call that better, as well. It probably is, but both games' combat are lacking. And there are some things I like more about the unit stacking system in IV like stacked workers.

The stuff added to Civ V in the expansions are great for creating more interesting ways to customize your nation and create interesting strategies out of them, but it feels like the depth is completely wasted due to stuff like the AI and poo poo combat. I'm not saying Civ V is a poo poo game or anything, it just has some really high highs and some really low lows, and I honestly don't really know how I feel about it. While I know how I feel about Civ IV, it's one of my favorite games of all time and I still go back and play it every now and then.
Civ IV with Beyond the Sword would probably be my favorite game ever if it wasn't for the Stacks of Doom.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pvt.Scott posted:

Greetings noble Lord Oda Nobunaga of the Japanese people. You're pretty much regarded by history as a mustache twirling, puppy kicking, psychopath. Go hog wild with your screaming hordes of suicidally fanatic followers. Can you finally prove that a katana can cut a tank in half? Can you build a civilization that will be romanticized by your descendants and baka gaijin alike?

I can't tell if that's a "spearman defeating a tank" joke or a "stupid suicidal Civ V AI" joke. :v:

Crazy Ted posted:

Civ IV with Beyond the Sword would probably be my favorite game ever if it wasn't for the Stacks of Doom.

I don't think "stacks of doom" are horrible but it's definitely the game's biggest weak point.

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010
I think the one thing that really hurts Civ V, besides the AI's horrible combat, is the impossibly retarded way it artifically prevents you from growing your empire. Namely, the happiness mechanic. It is so frustrating to have a badass midgame empire with huge GPT and well-developed cities, maybe a conquered neighbor or two, and to be unable to settle all the untouched land around you because it's basically impossible to scrounge up any more happiness, especially if you have puppeted cities. Why does the size of my capital have any bearing on my ability to settle cities elsewhere? The maintenance mechanic in Civ IV made way more sense. In V it feels like there's an artificial wall forcing you to choose tall or wide when it's a stupid thing to force the player to choose in the first place.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So how is the combat AI better than in Civ?

To anyone unfamiliar with earlier civs:

Unit stack infinitely. Using "move all" command the computer automatically makes everyone attack the target in such fashion that the one with best promotions for that particular tile is ALWAYS the first one to attack or defend.

Thus war strategy consists of taking as many unit types with different promotions as possible, slapping them into a hguge stack as possible and then attacking your targets one by one. One stack per front, that is it. Anything else is a wasted effort in that your Schwerpunkt is not heavy enough.

So for the AI to be "good" as many rosy-eyed images here portray, the AI had to churn out as many units as possible, "move all" into their desired target and that was it. Because sure as balls the enemy would have a single stack at the frontline city, too. There was no benefit in dividing the stack.

I just finished a BTS game and this got on to my nerves again. And because the stacks are always attacking in the mathematically most optimal way, you need to expect losing modern tanks and mech infantry to spearmen (that the AI never upgrades, since gently caress it, just stack em).

The diplomacy was in some ways better and more varied, yes. And I really think random events like "new hit album" or "generals having a doctrine disagreement, decide", "flood in York Granary", "your spy satellite crashed in England, solve this" and all those made the world feel alive. Much more.

You could humiliate someone in a war and for them to capitulate into your vassal. You could liberate vassals.

Going to war to force religions, ideologies and stuff more directly with "abandon slavery or nuke".

Also, social policies were less of "trees" and just different features that you could combine and switch on the fly. Representation, religious liberty, freedom of speech and SLAVERY.

Monarchy with universal suffrage.

Fascist pacifism.

But the combat AI is not any worse now. Now just somethin real is actually expected of it, instead of "stack and beeline to Berlin".

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 4, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

starfish prime posted:

I think the one thing that really hurts Civ V, besides the AI's horrible combat, is the impossibly retarded way it artifically prevents you from growing your empire. Namely, the happiness mechanic. It is so frustrating to have a badass midgame empire with huge GPT and well-developed cities, maybe a conquered neighbor or two, and to be unable to settle all the untouched land around you because it's basically impossible to scrounge up any more happiness, especially if you have puppeted cities. Why does the size of my capital have any bearing on my ability to settle cities elsewhere? The maintenance mechanic in Civ IV made way more sense. In V it feels like there's an artificial wall forcing you to choose tall or wide when it's a stupid thing to force the player to choose in the first place.

And the decision to go wide vs tall has been getting progressively less interesting and more one-sided as the patches and expansions come out. Now going wide means settling six or so cities and maybe adding some more in mid-to-late game conquest. ICS may have been a problem in Civ 2 where you could settle an actual infinite amount of garbage cities and still profit from them, with this in fact being the strongest strategy, but it was a very minor problem in 4 where you had to jump through a bunch of hoops to do it and there were often better ways to play. In that light, the nerf to ICS/REX in 5 seems like an incredibly heavy-handed overreaction.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I don't think "stacks of doom" are horrible but it's definitely the game's biggest weak point.
I played a game about a month ago and had Monty show up out of nowhere with eight catapults and a dozen other units.

Horrible is a good word to describe the result.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Better diplomacy. A more interesting tech tree with more viable ways to progress your nation.

Could you expand on these? As far as diplomacy, I remember reading about a civ 4 diplomacy mod for civ 5 with something about vassal states and being able to ask for help like the AI does in 5.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

So how is the combat AI better than in Civ?

To anyone unfamiliar with earlier civs:

Unit stack infinitely. Using "move all" command the computer automatically makes everyone attack the target in such fashion that the one with best promotions for that particular tile is ALWAYS the first one to attack or defend.

Thus war strategy consists of taking as many unit types with different promotions as possible, slapping them into a hguge stack as possible and then attacking your targets one by one. One stack per front, that is it. Anything else is a wasted effort in that your Schwerpunkt is not heavy enough.

So for the AI to be "good" as many rosy-eyed images here portray, the AI had to churn out as many units as possible, "move all" into their desired target and that was it. Because sure as balls the enemy would have a single stack at the frontline city, too. There was no benefit in dividing the stack.

I just finished a BTS game and this got on to my nerves again. And because the stacks are always attacking in the mathematically most optimal way, you need to expect losing modern tanks and mech infantry to spearmen (that the AI never upgrades, since gently caress it, just stack em).

The diplomacy was in some ways better and more varied, yes. And I really think random events like "new hit album" or "generals having a doctrine disagreement, decide", "flood in York Granary", "your spy satellite crashed in England, solve this" and all those made the world feel alive. Much more.

But the combat AI is not any worse now. Now just somethin real is actually expected of it, instead of "stack and beeline to Berlin".

If the AI does its job worse because its job is harder, that means the AI is worse. The AI was better at Civ IV combat because it was simpler, yes. I already admitted that the combat is a pretty big flaw in the game. But just because the combat is more complex doesn't excuse V's AI being abysmal. If they were incapable of coding AI able to handle the new combat system, maybe they should have rethought the combat system.

Also I have literally never, in hundreds of hours of play, lost a tank to a spearman in Civ IV.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Could you expand on these? As far as diplomacy, I remember reading about a civ 4 diplomacy mod for civ 5 with something about vassal states and being able to ask for help like the AI does in 5.
There was Vassalage, alliances, workable Defensive Pacts, and AI leaders would play more to type.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

starfish prime posted:

I always just figured that "cities" in Civ V represent things larger than actual cities. Imagine that an American city named Sacramento actually represents California, the state, and its huge economy, manpower, tech development, etc, and anything in between the next city or off in the distance is just sparsely populated. That's pretty much what happens on a normal or large earth map.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

I played a game about a month ago and had Monty show up out of nowhere with eight catapults and a dozen other units.

Horrible is a good word to describe the result.

That seems like a result of you being unprepared for an invasion, and doesn't seem to have anything to do with actual stacking mechanics. If they could only fit one unit in per tile, he still would have swarmed and overwhelmed you. The stack combat isn't very good but I think it was serviceable.

On top of the better diplomatic options like tech trading, vassal states, and map trading, the AI just conducted itself in a more logical and less frustrating manner in diplomacy.

Oh and I just want to add to what I said, when I say Civ IV's AI was better, I don't just mean combat, I meant overall AI. It generally made more intelligent decisions in every single aspect of play. edit: And for your edit about Civics, that's just a matter of taste, I feel. I enjoy the civics more than social policies because you're allowed to change them and adapt to the current situation. Some of the combinations are a little silly, but some of your examples of stupid combinations are historical. Monarchies with universal suffrage are constitutional monarchies with parliaments. Freedom of Speech with slavery, AKA America pre-emancipation.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 4, 2013

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

Huh, really?

By and large, the impression I got - accurate or no - was that the consensus was nothing in Civ V really topped BTS. How much of that is due to nostalgia (though it's not like it's been decades since BTS...) is another question entirely however.

If we are talking about the game, and not mods, CiV is an improvement over BTS on pretty much all levels. Interface, automation, simplicity, lack of "end game fatigue" and AI. I'm sure some people think this AI is worse, but it is just more exposed, BTS AI was beyond awful but stacks of doom made that less of an obvious issue. The list of enhancements is incredibly long, and a number of tedious gameplay elements were fixed (tech trading, I'm looking at you).

I personally miss being able to fight over borders with culture and predictable border growth, but any time you overhaul a game there will be some new elements people dislike in favor of the old. Other than that, all I really miss are Baba Yetu, Al Nadda, and Leonard Nimoy.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Also I have literally never, in hundreds of hours of play, lost a tank to a spearman in Civ IV.

I think the sentence your are looking for is more around "I lost track of the units in the stack 200 turns ago. Now I have no idea who dies and who lives when my 87 units hit Washington's 76 units in a single click, so I just refill it with new ones every now and then".

You constantly lose modern units to the old ones the AI has unupgraded in the stack.

In other news, I know many who still hammer Civ II and III daily because "everything that came after is garbage".

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 4, 2013

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Nope, not even close. Civ V is objectively worse than Civ IV BTS as long as the AI remains in such an utterly abysmal state. It's so awful that it drags the entire experience down every step of the way.

You don't know what Objectively means because I find BTS such a boring loving slog that stacks of doom drag the entire experience down.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

I think the sentence your are looking for is more around "I lost track of the units in the stack 200 turns ago. Now I have no idea who dies and who lives when my 87 units hit Washington's 76 units in a single click, so I just refill it with new ones every now and then".

You constantly lose modern units to the old ones the AI has unupgraded in the stack.

I'm perfectly ok with a dozen dudes with swords getting lucky with ambushing a tank, opening the hatches and murdering the crew. Hell, molotovs would do it in a lot of cases.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

No, I really don't. The odds of losing a tank to a spearman are actually incredibly low. Even a fortified spearman in a city with full defense bonuses. I know this because I have stack combat turned off so I issue every single attack order and see every single result. Spearmen defeating tanks are a myth. It can happen every once in a very rare while, but it's not a common occurrence like you state. If it is, then you're doing something horribly wrong (don't attack a city you haven't bombarded with heavily damaged units)

It's also extremely rare to see stacks that big. Everything in your posts are just massive exaggerations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Doom stacks never really bothered me, especially with religion you can basically form blocs really quickly and have vassals fight wars for you.

In civ 5, sharing a religion doesn't necessarily mean you'll be friends and you can't have proxy wars through vassals.

Edit also religion and culture was handled way, way better in CIV4 IMO. Basically the only thing Civ 5 does better is combat, still a good game though.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 4, 2013

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I feel like with as much focus there is on religion there should be a way to win with it. As it stands I feel like if I pay attention to religion I'm missing out on something to do with my desired victory type.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

I feel like with as much focus there is on religion there should be a way to win with it. As it stands I feel like if I pay attention to religion I'm missing out on something to do with my desired victory type.

In my current game I have ignored founding a religion. I am using two religions for personal gain though. Protestantism has cathedrals (art slots!) and monasteries (sitting on tons of incense so double yay!) Eastern Orthodox has mosques and the faith bought building tourism reformation,. Through use of inquisitors and missionaries I can get all three buildings and +6 tourism per city. I'm not planning on going for a culture victory, but buying open borders with everyone now in the early renaissance means I can probably turn my neighbors into a ideological bloc when the Industrial Age unlocks those policies. At the very least I can protect against dissidents that way. Check out what your neighbors have religion-wise and work it in to your strategy.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Can anybody come up with anything mocking for Haile Selassie? The worst i can say about Askia is 'your entire historical legacy revolves around the patronage of Islam and education. Try to reconstruct this using almost entirely military bonuses. Good luck!"

Safety Scissors posted:

Please keep the discussion short.

:smith:

FISHMANPET posted:

My most successful games all tend to involve riding a wave of holy warriors so it's basically always been the most important part of my strategy, save possibly 'science.'

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Away all Goats posted:

Doom stacks never really bothered me, especially with religion you can basically form blocs really quickly and have vassals fight wars for you.

In civ 5, sharing a religion doesn't necessarily mean you'll be friends and you can't have proxy wars through vassals.

Edit also religion and culture was handled way, way better in CIV4 IMO. Basically the only thing Civ 5 does better is combat, still a good game though.

The combat and the UI, I'll say.

Which is huge.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Religion can be really helpful no matter what victory type you go for. Especially now that the Jesuit reformation belief exists, it's even really helpful for science victories. You do have to sacrifice a bit to get that, though. I doubt it's worth going for reformation yourself if you're doing a science victory, as that delays Rationalism unless you're Poland and have a billion free social policies. Otherwise Holy Warriors is awesome for early domination, religion can be really useful for keeping city states on your side, and cathedrals and the tourism for religious buildings belief both are great for culture victory.

It was a foolish request as there is no simple answer for his question.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The big thing I miss about Civ4 is the tech tree, and being able to go through it on different paths. For example, to access Writing, you could research EITHER Animal Husbandry, OR Pottery, OR Priesthood, and researching more than one gave you a bonus when researching Writing. That kind of thing is definitely lacking in Civ5.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm playing a game is Celts right now and I'm trying to go religion, but spreadhing my religion is a pain in the rear end and the AI is a computer so can just spread religion forever.

It also doesn't help that there are two continents and I'm on one all by myself, with just a couple coast tiles on the opposite end of the continent linking the two together. I guess fractal has failed me.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Oh and I just want to add to what I said, when I say Civ IV's AI was better, I don't just mean combat, I meant overall AI. It generally made more intelligent decisions in every single aspect of play. edit: And for your edit about Civics, that's just a matter of taste, I feel. I enjoy the civics more than social policies because you're allowed to change them and adapt to the current situation. Some of the combinations are a little silly, but some of your examples of stupid combinations are historical. Monarchies with universal suffrage are constitutional monarchies with parliaments. Freedom of Speech with slavery, AKA America pre-emancipation.

Civ 4's civics system is vastly superior to social policies in short because it requires making choices that don't amount to simply weighing opportunity cost. Outside of Slavery being the correct choice until the industrial era, every civic has very strong game-changing effects to your empire, so determining when to switch civics and what to switch into is a vital part of playing the game correctly and requires knowing when you can give up the benefits of the civic you're already in.

EDIT - Also unless you're playing deity AIs or you're in the modern age where production skyrockets into the stratosphere most "doom stacks" you see will be in the 15-20 range, and that's if they're on offense. Incidentally, modern warfare in Civ 4 does suck quite a bit for many more reasons than the stack mechanics.

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 4, 2013

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Pvt.Scott posted:

I'm perfectly ok with a dozen dudes with swords getting lucky with ambushing a tank, opening the hatches and murdering the crew. Hell, molotovs would do it in a lot of cases.

Not really. Tank hatches have things called combat locks, inch-thick steel bars holding them shut from the inside.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

thehumandignity posted:

Not really. Tank hatches have things called combat locks, inch-thick steel bars holding them shut from the inside.

Combat takes place over the course of a whole friggin' year (or multiple years!). I'm pretty sure tank crews sleep, decamp, refuel, etc.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
I upgraded a Logistics, Barrage III Keshik to Cavalry and it definitely shifted the extra attack and damage bonus to melee (promotions didn't rename themselves, though). Have ranged promotions always converted to melee for mounted archers upgrading to knights/cav?

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 4, 2013

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
All this talk about BTS reminded me that I really hope they implement vassals in Civ 5 at some point. Aside from just being a cool thing, it really helps give people who are losing multiplayer matches a reason to stay in the game. Without the vassal option if you're gonna lose, well, you're just gonna lose. With the vassal option you can at least fight for your liege and be a part of his/her victory. It's not the same as winning the game yourself, but it's a drat sight better than extermination or quitting because you're 1000 points behind in score.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

And the decision to go wide vs tall has been getting progressively less interesting and more one-sided as the patches and expansions come out. Now going wide means settling six or so cities and maybe adding some more in mid-to-late game conquest. ICS may have been a problem in Civ 2 where you could settle an actual infinite amount of garbage cities and still profit from them, with this in fact being the strongest strategy, but it was a very minor problem in 4 where you had to jump through a bunch of hoops to do it and there were often better ways to play. In that light, the nerf to ICS/REX in 5 seems like an incredibly heavy-handed overreaction.

Is that so? I'm in the middle of my first game in a long time and I thought I had a pretty tiny empire with four cities, just expanded to five because I had some extra room and decided what the heck. Am I inadvertently going wide? I know tradition has bonuses that target four cities but it didn't seem like covering them for the fifth would be a big deal.

Chomp8645 posted:

All this talk about BTS reminded me that I really hope they implement vassals in Civ 5 at some point. Aside from just being a cool thing, it really helps give people who are losing multiplayer matches a reason to stay in the game. Without the vassal option if you're gonna lose, well, you're just gonna lose. With the vassal option you can at least fight for your liege and be a part of his/her victory. It's not the same as winning the game yourself, but it's a drat sight better than extermination or quitting because you're 1000 points behind in score.

Related to that, whenever I think about why the AI would do something that doesn't help it win, I remember they don't have a choice. They can't ragequit when it's clear you're running away with the game, so they might as well make something of themselves while they're hanging around.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Tradition doesn't strictly limit you to 4 cities, but you have to have a very good reason to settle a fifth (excellent starting spot or vital strategic interest). The main reason 4 cities is the norm isn't necessarily because of the free culture building/aqueduct (although those are great), it's because national wonders are extremely important and if you have a misplaced fifth city that has too little production or growth you're going to be at a huge disadvantage when the time comes for your national college, hermitage, Oxford, etc.

A four-city empire has really good timings and is easy to defend while also large enough to produce a quick victory. Expanding beyond that point gives diplomatic penalties, may overextend you and may just not be necessary.

So basically I'd argue that Tradition doesn't make the 4-city plan optimal, the fact that the 4-city start is optimal makes Tradition great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

TheGame posted:

Tradition doesn't strictly limit you to 4 cities, but you have to have a very good reason to settle a fifth (excellent starting spot or vital strategic interest). The main reason 4 cities is the norm isn't necessarily because of the free culture building/aqueduct (although those are great), it's because national wonders are extremely important and if you have a misplaced fifth city that has too little production or growth you're going to be at a huge disadvantage when the time comes for your national college, hermitage, Oxford, etc.

A four-city empire has really good timings and is easy to defend while also large enough to produce a quick victory. Expanding beyond that point gives diplomatic penalties, may overextend you and may just not be necessary.

So basically I'd argue that Tradition doesn't make the 4-city plan optimal, the fact that the 4-city start is optimal makes Tradition great.

Note that he says "settle" a fifth and not "conquer" a fifth.

If you have a 4 city tradition start, feel free to conquer your way to triple that, the ai will have already done the infrastructure work for you.

• Locked thread