Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
Vomitory US tour cancelled :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Another song from the upcoming Turisas album is on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-FQCokApVE

SO many people are going to hate this song (and most likely the album as well) but I love it. It's just fun as hell and that main riff/melody is obscenely catchy.
I'm very eagerly looking forward to the album, going to be interesting to hear what these guys have cooked up.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 3, 2013

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Ha, I also like it, but then again I liked both previous albums quite a lot. At least they are trying new things (for better or worse). I do miss the violin though :(.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Occasionally between you guys and Spotify's Discover feature I find a band that makes me feel like I've been missing out for a long time.

Today's exhibit A: The Crown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAkjZIpLnzs

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

the yeti posted:

Occasionally between you guys and Spotify's Discover feature I find a band that makes me feel like I've been missing out for a long time.

Today's exhibit A: The Crown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAkjZIpLnzs

But this is Tomas Lindberg's least cool band! :P

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

thepitgoddess posted:

I have also been missing out for a long time, it seems! I didn't know about any of his bands, except At The Gates.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Abysswalker posted:

I have also been missing out for a long time, it seems! I didn't know about any of his bands, except At The Gates.

Check out his other band, It's d-beat and it's awesome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jVwXXG9HPo

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

thepitgoddess posted:

Did we suddenly stop counting At The Gates or something

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

At the Gates isn't cool and they ruined death metal for everyone.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

nerve posted:

Did we suddenly stop counting At The Gates or something

Dimebags Brain posted:

oh hey look, internet posturing

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

I can't decide which is worse, modern tech death or modern melodeath. So the prize for "ruining death metal" either goes to them or maybe Necrophagist.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Gorewar posted:

oh hey look, internet posturing

Hi I'm nerve and I don't like the band At the Gates please think I'm cool

Gamma Nerd posted:

I can't decide which is worse, modern tech death or modern melodeath. So the prize for "ruining death metal" either goes to them or maybe Necrophagist.

Necrophagist however, owns

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

nerve posted:

Hi I'm nerve and I don't like the band At the Gates please think I'm cool

Well ok, Just this one time.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

nerve posted:

Necrophagist however, owns

Not disputing that but most of the tech death bands that copied their style are pretty lovely

oh and the new Ulcerate track owns but I'm sure you didn't need me to tell you that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5SkcwHykU0

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 4, 2013

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
At The Gates were alright but The Haunted were so much better... until the last couple albums.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Anyone who thinks the first two At The Gates albums weren't amongst the best Swedish death metal recorded has no credibility whatsoever. Yes, Slaughter of the Soul is partially responsible for a million and one knock-off clones that lack ability, style and any substance (although considering SotS itself lacks any of those compared with its predecessors, that's no surprise); but the real criminal is Carcass' Heartwork.

Heartwork is the game changer, not Terminal Spirit Disease, not Slaughter. Without it, I don't think either TDS or SotS even get recorded - With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness does not show any evidence of the way AtG were to proceed a year or so later.

If you go back and look at the discographies of most bands that are now infamous for gothenburg-style melodeath, you'll notice that they all have a change in direction, or sudden burst of "creativity" around the same time. At the Gates, Dark Tranquility, heck, even Sentenced in Finland display a sudden change around that point. And that point in time is 1994 - because they all heard Heartwork the year before.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

henpod posted:

Ha, I also like it, but then again I liked both previous albums quite a lot. At least they are trying new things (for better or worse). I do miss the violin though :(.
Wow, so I'm not the only one in this thread who greatly enjoys Stand Up And Fight. :woop:
Also, apparently this album is going to have great variation from song to song, so maybe you'll hear that violin yet.

The Clit Avoider posted:

heck, even Sentenced in Finland display a sudden change around that point.
And I'm glad they did, because Amok-era and later Sentenced are one of my favourite bands ever, cheesy ballads and all. Never was a fan of the older stuff, although I have to admit that Northern Lights loving killed on their "funeral gig".

Nordick fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Aug 4, 2013

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Check out his other band, It's d-beat and it's awesome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jVwXXG9HPo

Misanthropic Generation is totally my jam.

So I haven't seen any talk about the new Gorguts in here? Reminds me of Ulcerate a lot.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

The Clit Avoider posted:

Anyone who thinks the first two At The Gates albums weren't amongst the best Swedish death metal recorded has no credibility whatsoever. Yes, Slaughter of the Soul is partially responsible for a million and one knock-off clones that lack ability, style and any substance (although considering SotS itself lacks any of those compared with its predecessors, that's no surprise); but the real criminal is Carcass' Heartwork.

Heartwork is the game changer, not Terminal Spirit Disease, not Slaughter. Without it, I don't think either TDS or SotS even get recorded - With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness does not show any evidence of the way AtG were to proceed a year or so later.

If you go back and look at the discographies of most bands that are now infamous for gothenburg-style melodeath, you'll notice that they all have a change in direction, or sudden burst of "creativity" around the same time. At the Gates, Dark Tranquility, heck, even Sentenced in Finland display a sudden change around that point. And that point in time is 1994 - because they all heard Heartwork the year before.

All of these bands had blown their creative wad by that time, saw Pantera, Carcass, Morbid Angel, Slayer etc getting play on MTV and probably had girlfriends harping on them because they're gone all the time and didn't have any money. Either consciously or subconsciously, they decided to take the easy road, thus we have this near 20 year old trend of bands releasing stuff that at first sounds profound due to production and the Heavy Metal dog and pony show, but doesn't mean poo poo in the end. The problem starts when people only listen to these things once in a while as background noise and then scream from the roof tops that it's the best ever.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

nihil morari posted:

At The Gates were alright but The Haunted were so much better... until the last couple albums.

The Haunted is terrible compared to At the Gates. Even Slaughter of the Soul was better than any of their albums.

The Clit Avoider posted:

And yes, Heartwork was really the game changer and if Surgical Steel sounds even somewhat close to Heartwork, it'll be one of the best albums of the year (here's to hoping).

thehouseplant fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 4, 2013

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It sounds a lot like Heartwork, but a little bit more monotonous.

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp

Houseplant posted:

The Haunted is terrible compared to At the Gates. Even Slaughter of the Soul was better than any of their albums.

I've been following this thread for a bit and it's pretty clear to me that my taste in metal differs dramatically from most of the people here. I can't stand metal with guttural vocals and growling (besides Opeth because I like that guy's voice). I much prefer stuff along the lines of The Haunted (actually, I like basically all of Peter Dolving's work), Dillinger Escape Plan, or almost anything with Devin Townsend. It's crappy for me because sometimes I stumble upon bands with great sounding music; but then the singer starts and ruins it for me.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wow, I didn't realise how many people don't like At The Gates.

Slaughter is one of the best "Gateway" albums of all time. I would put money on it that many many people got into more extreme metal from digging Slaughter.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Hammer Floyd posted:

Slaughter is one of the best "Gateway" albums of all time. I would put money on it that many many people got into more extreme metal from digging Slaughter.

Slaughter has a special place with me because when it came out nothing else sounded like it. I don't put it on much now but I won't deny it was a big album for metal. If it gets people into better poo poo, awesome, but there's still way shittier metal people blow a load over.

The new album isn't bad at all. It starts of boring but it gets good halfway through and keeps it up. There's some Necrotism to be found among the Heartwork for sure.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

nihil morari posted:

I've been following this thread for a bit and it's pretty clear to me that my taste in metal differs dramatically from most of the people here. I can't stand metal with guttural vocals and growling (besides Opeth because I like that guy's voice). I much prefer stuff along the lines of The Haunted (actually, I like basically all of Peter Dolving's work), Dillinger Escape Plan, or almost anything with Devin Townsend. It's crappy for me because sometimes I stumble upon bands with great sounding music; but then the singer starts and ruins it for me.

Hey man, more power to you for knowing what you like. Metal has a lot to offer besides the vocal style that you are trying to avoid, though. Actually, if you avoid Death metal entirely, pretty much every other genre of metal has a less guttural feel. Devin Townsent is really progressive and is a pretty huge gateway drug for other bands like Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, even Mastodon. Dillinger is pretty "core-y" for people in these parts, but you can probably dig Ion Dissonance and Converge. Converge gets a lot of love here even.

Morbid Florist posted:

Slaughter has a special place with me because when it came out nothing else sounded like it. I don't put it on much now but I won't deny it was a big album for metal. If it gets people into better poo poo, awesome, but there's still way shittier metal people blow a load over.

The new album isn't bad at all. It starts of boring but it gets good halfway through and keeps it up. There's some Necrotism to be found among the Heartwork for sure.

Slaughter was a gateway album for me so it's got a special place even though it's arguably their worst album. And I'm glad to hear that Surgical Steel sounds like it's at least decently solid.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Hammer Floyd posted:

Lots of love for SOTS here too. This and Amon Amarth were big gateway bands for me in terms of death metal.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Amon Amarth is the only 'gateway metal' band I still listen to

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
For me Red In The Sky is probably one of my top 10 albums ever released. I just love it! The guitar work just sounds perfect to my ears, memorable riffs everywhere.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Killsion posted:

So I haven't seen any talk about the new Gorguts in here? Reminds me of Ulcerate a lot.

The mastering felt really compressed and muddy but I liked the songwriting a lot, especially the weird-rear end chamber music interlude. I'm really torn on it to be honest.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Gamma Nerd posted:

The mastering felt really compressed and muddy but I liked the songwriting a lot, especially the weird-rear end chamber music interlude. I'm really torn on it to be honest.

The Battle of Chamdo... I loved that piece so much. On one hand I was hoping some guitars would kick in to add to it, but it was still fantastic and blew me away.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Abysswalker posted:

Let us also not forget Lock Up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ0MMaBMXMI

Mmm, shane embury, nick barker, tomas and Anton Reisenegger from Chile Pentagram.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Slaughter's pretty cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08EVewJA8jM

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

RHTITE posted:

All of these bands had blown their creative wad by that time, saw Pantera, Carcass, Morbid Angel, Slayer etc getting play on MTV and probably had girlfriends harping on them because they're gone all the time and didn't have any money. Either consciously or subconsciously, they decided to take the easy road, thus we have this near 20 year old trend of bands releasing stuff that at first sounds profound due to production and the Heavy Metal dog and pony show, but doesn't mean poo poo in the end. The problem starts when people only listen to these things once in a while as background noise and then scream from the roof tops that it's the best ever.

I would honestly be surprised if Morbid Angel or Carcass ever made any real money during their commercial peak.

Hammer Floyd posted:

I've never heard that album or any At the Gates stuff. 30 seconds of youtube song snippets leads me to believe I haven't missed all that much.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 5, 2013

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
The new Gorguts has knocked my head right off. I think Luc Lemay's background in classical composition is much better applied to something like this rather than Obscura and FWtH, which ended up sounding like death metal string quartet music. Colored Sands sounds like a death metal orchestra. It's got layers but never sounds too dense or elaborate. It has this massive oceanic bottom end that doesn't sound like anything else I've heard. I really think this thing is gonna go down as one of the greatest achievements in death metal. Someone on metal-archives noted that it took a certain subset of tech death bands a decade to figure out how to incorporate Lemay's influence into their music, and I'd add that he just jumped another decade ahead of them.

Though now I'm worried it'll create some weird new subgenre like "technical atmospheric symphonic doom" and will spawn even more bands that shouldn't be trying to pull off Gorguts' style. Hell, I don't even know what to call this "style." It's just huge and filled with so much imaginative detail. At the very least it's the best metal album since NM's Voice of Steel (in my opinion, obviously).

Also, on Slaughter of the Soul: aside from its unfortunate influence on a style of music I quickly came to loathe, what bothers me the most about the album is that almost every song begins with an awesome riff, but then falls back into the tremolo polka thing for every verse. It gets monotonous fast.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dimebags Brain posted:

Every uninspired band that poorly copied a band you didn't like missed an opportunity to poorly copy a band you like instead, this sounds like it worked out really badly for you and I feel for you bro

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

comes along bort posted:

I've never heard that album or any At the Gates stuff. 30 seconds of youtube song snippets leads me to believe I haven't missed all that much.

Let's not say things we can't take back.

The first AtG album is a cornerstone. It all went to poo poo once Alf Svensson left. But then AtG comes from this, so, yeah early poo poo was always going to rule. I mean, this just kills.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 5, 2013

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
New Dream Theater track released: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2013/08/04/dream-theater-enemy-inside-premiere/2613895/

It's okay. The first part feels more like straight out metal than Dream Theater. The instrumentals fell on the right side of gratuitous for me, but that's going to be pretty subjective.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The song is a pretty solid Dream Theater track but that rhythm guitar tone sounds like a low-bitrate Periphery sample.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

The Clit Avoider posted:

It all went to poo poo once Alf Svensson left.
Ah, the guy who quit At the Gates to found Oxiplegatz. He wasn't exactly a home run hitter on his own, either.

Hulk Krogan posted:

The song is a pretty solid Dream Theater track but that rhythm guitar tone sounds like a low-bitrate Periphery sample.
Maybe it's just these crappy speakers, but the guitar tone just sounds like the same Mark V he's been playing for years with some heavy compression on it. It sounds a lot like Michael Romeo's dual rectifier tone (or was it his ENGL?) on Paradise Lost. If anything, the dryness of the drums on top feels like it's peeling away a lot of the punch that should be there.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
Well, this is a pleasant surprise. I'm very pleased they didn't release some cheesy ballad as a single this time like they typically do. I'm actually a little excited for this album (something I haven't been able to say since Train of Thought), as the last one was a step up from their other later albums.