Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

So here is a long question.

I hit level 30 a little while ago and I've geared up to a CR of 46. I'm in the process of saving up Marks to start the next level of gear.

In my list of "missions" there is A TON of stuff listed, I have a few questions about these things, but there are all sorts of lists of things and it gets a bit confusing after awhile.

First - in most of these missions there are two ways to enter right? There is usually a door located somewhere on the map, or you can enter via the Y menu. Is this correct? Does it make a difference how you enter?
Second - are ALL of the Level 30 missions in the "J" menu also represented in the "Y" menu? - if this is the case, I can just go about ignoring the "J" and focus on the Y.

Is there a list with a suggested order that some of this stuff should be tackled?
I don't want to waste my time trying to rescue the rogues and realize that i get my rear end kicked the second I walk in the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

They're adding "Celestial" powers next, a healing set with Holy/Unholy trees and that's about all I know.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Oh man, me and a bro played this game waaaay back at launch (PC) and we quickly hit the level cap in like two or three weeks, and then stopped playing. I got a hankerin' for some Superhero MMO action so I recently reinstalled it. I'm a little pissed that, despite buying the game at retail, I don't get retail-level access to the game but whatever, Premium is fine I guess.

Would you say there are more Heroes or Villains around these days? I mained a Hero once upon a time, and I always loved hanging out in Gotham in the higher level areas throwing down with random pubbies in the PvP servers. Stunlocking people with giant buses and knocking people away after they'd been gadget-balled never got old.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Holy poo poo playing with a light powers/shield weapon build is fun.
I must have made and burned a dozen toons since installing this a fortnight ago but this one is going all the way to 30!

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

Would you say there are more Heroes or Villains around these days?

I just got back into the game, having not played it since release, too. It seems like most of the USPC population is on the Hero side, but this is just my general observation based on a week of playing (and not at max level yet). I don't know where the Goons are playing, though.

P.S. Try Light! After just getting back into the game I tried playing an Ice character and then decided to get the Light DLC and try it out. Holy poo poo! It's so much fun.

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
Some new info regarding the latest Pack - Sons of Trigon.

https://www.dcuniverseonline.com/news/archive/2013-august-01-dlc8-sons-of-trigon-creative-director-letter-dcuo

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I recognize more goon names posted here on villains, but there's way more random people on heroes. Also I'm an idiot and just keep making dudes.

I like that the t5 pvp armor for heroes isn't so much Huntress-inspired as it is literally her costume verbatim.

Larz2021
Feb 2, 2001

Live stream from SOE Live happening.

http://www.twitch.tv/dcuniverseonline

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So apparently they're telling us now that packs are gonna alternate between raid-heavy, and solo/duo-heavy content per pack now. We're also getting another seven expansions after Trigon this fall, as they move storyline content into "trilogies". One trilogy's going to introduce more Lantern content beginning with Blue, the other is going to be... well, it's going to be Amazons Attack but hopefully not poo poo. The seventh pack is a bit more sketchy right now but sounds the coolest: "defend your league halls from Apokolips and Darkseid".

I stole all of this from an anemic Shacknews article. Free content to continue to come out with each expansion for non-paying players, which is still a plus.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Since goon presence seems to be low with no league in site I ended up joining up with a raiding league on villain side and am now at cr95 on my troll. We are recruiting if anyone wants in for nexus/paradox runs. The name may be stupid but the league is full of good players who are not too annoying.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
sorry to disappear for a month. and I'm still not completely back.

basically I no lifed neverwinter too hard and my graphics card blew out. waiting for a reasonably priced replacement on ebay and then I should be back. roommate let me on his desktop tonight so I'll be playing.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
How's this game doing? I played it a while back, got to level 30 within a week with a buddy. Really enjoyed it, but ended up getting banned for swearing at my buddy (unseriously) in a private instance in private messages :catstare:. Basically SOE are cunts, but is the game still alive/fun ?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I AM BRAWW posted:

How's this game doing? I played it a while back, got to level 30 within a week with a buddy. Really enjoyed it, but ended up getting banned for swearing at my buddy (unseriously) in a private instance in private messages :catstare:. Basically SOE are cunts, but is the game still alive/fun ?

It's proven impossible to organize goons on this the way goons do for other MMOs, but the game is pretty good. I'm on an extended break due to the steam sale and being tired of wiping on every Fortess of Solitude PUG.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I've got 2 heroes and 2 villains if you guys were looking for more league people.
I just have to level them a lot more, as my highest is a 16 on hero side and 10 on villain.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
As I said, I am part of a big raid league, we sometimes do FoS and the t4 and under raids for speed feats and shits and giggles, we did outer in under 20 minutes the other day. If anyone wants to get involved, even if you don't want to join and just need help hit me up. Signore Punchinello.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Completely new to this game (City of Heroes thread brought me over) and don't have any DLC/legendary. I'm at a relatively low level (10 on my villain, no hero just yet) but I'm having fun so far, whether I'm playing correctly or not. I joined the steamgroup, so I look forward to teaming up with some goons to see how crappy I'm doing.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
one thing to mention since you just hit 10.

you can hit T to change stance. that will indicate role. dps is the flame and then the other is your power's specialty role. check your powers and see what they do that changes with role.

"hit counter" is the combo meter. in dps stance, using a power applies a damage output multiplier that lasts until your combo meter resets. like first tier powers apply a 35% damage multiplier so you use the power>combo like mad until you drop combo for some reason>use another ability>combo again.

using a power immediately resets your combo meter. this is basically the core of dpsing. there's also "clipping" which is using an ability, drinking a soda, or weapon combo to cancel excess animations off of a skill or combo. don't worry about it too much but you'll want to get it down eventually. lemme fetch the guide board for you.
https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?forums/oracle%E2%80%99s-database-guides.16/
the offical boards are a mixed bag but most of the guides are alright enough to digest something useful from.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Throwdown posted:

As I said, I am part of a big raid league, we sometimes do FoS and the t4 and under raids for speed feats and shits and giggles, we did outer in under 20 minutes the other day. If anyone wants to get involved, even if you don't want to join and just need help hit me up. Signore Punchinello.

I spent a little extra time and got myself up to CR53. Hopefully, with this guild I'll be able to jump ahead a bit.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Roydrowsy posted:

I spent a little extra time and got myself up to CR53. Hopefully, with this guild I'll be able to jump ahead a bit.

Yeah! Welcome aboard, we cleared nexus again last night and did part of paradox

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

nehezir posted:

one thing to mention since you just hit 10.

you can hit T to change stance. that will indicate role. dps is the flame and then the other is your power's specialty role. check your powers and see what they do that changes with role.

"hit counter" is the combo meter. in dps stance, using a power applies a damage output multiplier that lasts until your combo meter resets. like first tier powers apply a 35% damage multiplier so you use the power>combo like mad until you drop combo for some reason>use another ability>combo again.

using a power immediately resets your combo meter. this is basically the core of dpsing. there's also "clipping" which is using an ability, drinking a soda, or weapon combo to cancel excess animations off of a skill or combo. don't worry about it too much but you'll want to get it down eventually. lemme fetch the guide board for you.
https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?forums/oracle%E2%80%99s-database-guides.16/
the offical boards are a mixed bag but most of the guides are alright enough to digest something useful from.

Thanks for the tips. What I've been doing mostly lately is turning on my "Immolation" and the flame on my weapons at the start of a fight to increase damage and then wailing on the guys for a bit. If I'm surrounded I'll use one of my AOE knockdown powers. And then when Immolation and weapon-flame-power drop I'll use them again if able. Is that an effective strategy? I'm at level 24 now and have been having a blast, though the Green Lantern/Sinestro War stuff was pissing me off because I had to "protect" a Recruit but they kept getting killed by heroes who I couldn't attack because I've been in PVE mode.

What's the deal with teams? I have no idea how to start one, but I got invited to one today with another villain and it essentially was just like an NPC partner because there was no interaction (hell, once the mission we joined up with before was over I just left and did my own things because I couldn't figure out how to quit the team).

It's obvious I'm doing something wrong here, but I had no idea how to talk to him or see if he'd said anything. There was a speaker next to the "group" tab on the chat, so I guess it was a voice chat team?

Other than some confusion, it hasn't really affected me poorly lately, as I've just been able to solo (which I like doing, though goon teams would be cool too).

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

I'm not sure I know what that means, but I'm anxious to get to that point

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Wow, the difficulty really ramps up after you hit 30, doesn't it?

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

mastajake posted:

30 is pretty much the big leagues and then end of the 'tutorial' I guess.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

mastajake posted:

This is a good reason to join up with a league, yesertdat Roydrowsy joined with mine and will be finding more help and tips leveling. It has a stupid name but the guys who are in it know their poo poo and are decent people, give or take 1 person. Hit me up in game if you want to try us out, Signore Punchinello. Since joining I went from 1170 vit to 1677 in 2 weeks or less. That's an estimate as when I am on I lose track of what day it is.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

LacklusterMan posted:

30 is pretty much the big leagues and then end of the 'tutorial' I guess.

The 30's is the beginning of the game really, I now think of it as an extended introduction and training simulator. Once you hit 30 you need to start worrying about your marks of triumph, you can read about these in the OP page. Hit Y on your keyboard and see what missions you are eligible for and queue up for them. There will be Solo missions, Duos: where you team up with someone 4 man alerts and 8 man raids which will come later with work. You will also gain skillpoints still through doing different things in a game like beat the poo poo out of superman in 10 minutes or less without using a soder cola. You can check these out, hit N/ESC/Feats. Look at the solos and get as much as you can done so you can build up your skill points. If you have further questions hit me up in game :Signore Punchinello. I would be happy to answer whatever question you have.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Throwdown posted:

Look at the solos and get as much as you can done so you can build up your skill points.

Also just a huge tip some people miss: just because a feat is under "Solo" does not mean you cannot enlist aid for it if needed (barring a specific couple). In fact, you'll actually need someone to help you with a couple to even be able to perform them, by letting you into their mentor quests you have no access to.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Thanks for the tips guys. It's been a big help.

I think I ran into a bug. Normally I'll alternate between clicking and holding the mouse buttons to use combos right? Well on my villain it's stopped working. I can only do short jabs (the light melee). Anyone have any experience with something like that?

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

That's the default unarmed attack, do you have a weapon equipped that you spent at least a skill point on?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

jjac posted:

That's the default unarmed attack, do you have a weapon equipped that you spent at least a skill point on?

Yes, he's level 30 and was working fine up until today. I'm not having this problem with my other character.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

mastajake posted:

Yes, he's level 30 and was working fine up until today. I'm not having this problem with my other character.

Check your skill points, they reset every now and then

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

My gloves or whatever needed to be repaired. :doh: I didn't even know that would take away the ability to use Brawling instead of making it less effective.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

mastajake posted:

My gloves or whatever needed to be repaired. :doh: I didn't even know that would take away the ability to use Brawling instead of making it less effective.

Well, now I know what happens when something hits 0/100 durability, so thanks for that tip.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
I have reset and run BIA around 7 times today trying to get the dual pistols that drop off of Jor-El. I swear, this game either really hates ranged controllers or I have really bad luck.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

mastajake posted:

I had this exact same problem the other day on my Controller after the rest of the group decided that charging off into the distance while I fought one of the bosses on the H.I.V.E. Moon 4-man was a great idea and super division of labour.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

mastajake posted:

Another thing about this is that success is determined by how good you are at your roll, but at the same time, it also depends on how good the people you are working with are. How skilled they are, and how well they can do their jobs can make or break a team. It can mean the difference between a raid taking 40 min, or 80. I'm starting to see that this is why leagues are helpful. A good league will help ensure that you go on raids with competent people. Seriously, one person who doesn't know what they're doing can ruin it for everybody. That being said, there is a sense of satisfaction that comes with doing your job well. (this is why i tend to prefer to play healer/controller), as its not just about rear end-kicking, it's about being a good team player.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I really need to get back into this game...

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Roydrowsy posted:

Another thing about this is that success is determined by how good you are at your roll, but at the same time, it also depends on how good the people you are working with are. How skilled they are, and how well they can do their jobs can make or break a team. It can mean the difference between a raid taking 40 min, or 80. I'm starting to see that this is why leagues are helpful. A good league will help ensure that you go on raids with competent people. Seriously, one person who doesn't know what they're doing can ruin it for everybody. That being said, there is a sense of satisfaction that comes with doing your job well. (this is why i tend to prefer to play healer/controller), as its not just about rear end-kicking, it's about being a good team player.

I was running my healer in that area 51 instance last night. Surprisingly it went fairy well, despite me getting a foot up my rear end twice from some jerkoff who decided to teleport halfway across the screen to hit me.
I didn't expect anyone to actually adhere to their role, but it seems like I was wrong this time.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Holy cow, I am such a jackass!
I've not spent a whole lot of time researching the whole modding business, and i'm used to playing with very little cash, so i've been sticking betas on everything. And now i come to realized there are so many better modding options available.

I'm gonna be busy for awhile.

Roydrowsy fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 11, 2013

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
I am considering starting a new recruitment thread in games and will e-mail a mod to get approval. As I had posted earlier I joined a league with a stupid name but great players who are active and doing all the end game stuff. Only thing is that I realized we need more tanks. If we can get a bunch of people in it would make leveling and gaining CR much easier and I would be more than happy to help people with missions and instances, just send me a message, my ign is Signore Punchinello. Only reason I will probably say no to help is if I am in the middle of a raid or farming exo's for a new piece of gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Throwdown posted:

I am considering starting a new recruitment thread in games and will e-mail a mod to get approval. As I had posted earlier I joined a league with a stupid name but great players who are active and doing all the end game stuff. Only thing is that I realized we need more tanks. If we can get a bunch of people in it would make leveling and gaining CR much easier and I would be more than happy to help people with missions and instances, just send me a message, my ign is Signore Punchinello. Only reason I will probably say no to help is if I am in the middle of a raid or farming exo's for a new piece of gear.

Are you a Hero or Villain?

• Locked thread