Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strat
Nov 6, 2004

teacup posted:

Not trying to just bump post or anything but I really would love to know if anyone does know of specific stores or a more efficient way than just random googling or looking at random stores... which I've done anyway but just looking for more!

We used Ian at http://www.ellissi.com/ who is based in the Melbourne CBD. He was amazingly helpful. Probably not the cheapest but worked closely with me, within my budget and got the perfect stone for my fiance and put together a unique design. Highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Nessa posted:

So does anyone have any ideas for substitutes for wedding bands? At least for the ceremony? I wear jewelry a lot, but my fiancé doesn't and won't, so even if we were to get wedding bands, one of them would be forever unworn, and that kind of defeats the purpose of having wedding bands, doesn't it? I'm looking for some kind of alternative.

Friend of mine has a ring, but because it was a family heirloom and didn't fit and he didn't want to resize it, he wears it on a chain around his neck. Perhaps something on a chain?

Get a really, really snazzy gold-plated credit card-looking thing?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
He won't even wear a "manly" wedding band?

I'm sorry, but "I don't wear jewelry" seems like a real flimsy excuse for not wearing a wedding ring. It's a small piece of metal he won't even notice he's wearing after a day or two. It's not like you're asking him to wear a gold pimp chain that says "Nessa's husband" or something.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I'm sorry, but "I don't wear jewelry" seems like a real flimsy excuse for not wearing a wedding ring. It's a small piece of metal he won't even notice he's wearing after a day or two. It's not like you're asking him to wear a gold pimp chain that says "Nessa's husband" or something.

Although, hot drat, I'd wear a chain like that.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Yeah my husband was all "I don't want to wear a ring! It will feel weird and I'll want to mess with it all the time." Etc. Ect. Two weeks later and he said it felt weird to have it off and now he never takes it off.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Baboon Fiesta posted:

I am also terrified of making a speech and dancing in front of an audience.

You're making a speech at your own wedding? That is super brave of you. There is no way I would have remembered Any of the lines.

As far as dancing goes, just go for the tried and true "shuffle and laugh" method.

Careful Girl
Oct 15, 2012

The Money Cat can...
We have booked the venue and confirmed the date for January. :D I am now focusing on the catering and venue decoration, and by the end of August, early September, I will decide on who is going to make the dress (have a list of people, need to go and talk to them). My sister is helping me with enquiries about photographers, hairdressers, and so. Things are starting to look more defined now :D

Baboon Fiesta posted:

I am also terrified of making a speech and dancing in front of an audience.

Speeches are always terrifying. I am glad it's not a tradition in my country! Good luck with the wedding on Saturday :)

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
As a guy who never wears rings, I don't have any problem with the idea of wearing one. Hell if I found a really cool one I'd wear it regardless of being married, I've just never really looked at rings much. That being said, now that my wedding is 4 months away, I'm actually getting excited about wearing the ring because there are so many awesome options out there nowadays, carbon fiber, wood, bone, meteorite, damascus steel, etc. I'm actually having a hard time deciding.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Yeah ring materials were exciting to me except then I realized that the ring will (hopefully) be used for like 50 years or more so durability is a big issue. I pretty much nixed any exotic materials because of that. Now that I've bought mine I somewhat wish I had been a little bit more adventurous, but I didn't want to get some striking design that would look goofy/dated in a couple decades.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

LogisticEarth posted:

Yeah ring materials were exciting to me except then I realized that the ring will (hopefully) be used for like 50 years or more so durability is a big issue. I pretty much nixed any exotic materials because of that. Now that I've bought mine I somewhat wish I had been a little bit more adventurous, but I didn't want to get some striking design that would look goofy/dated in a couple decades.

Plenty of the exotic materials are just as durable as the more common ones. Out of the ones I listed wood and carbon fiber are probably the two that might not stand the test of time, but you can also do inlays of either of them in more durable materials. Damascus steel and meteorite are both plenty durable for a wedding band. I'm kind of leaning toward a combination of those two at the moment.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Friend of mine has a ring, but because it was a family heirloom and didn't fit and he didn't want to resize it, he wears it on a chain around his neck. Perhaps something on a chain?

Get a really, really snazzy gold-plated credit card-looking thing?

Chains are not really an option either. My fiance just has a problem with jewelry of all kinds. Yeah, it"s pretty weird, but I don"t want him to do anything he's uncomfortable with.

I'm looking for something that we can do for the ceremony to replace an "exchanging of rings". He said he would wear a ring for the ceremony, but not wear it afterwards, and I just feel that it would be a waste of a ring and defeat the purpose of exchanging rings in the first place.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

For the ceremony you could do something like a hand binding, unity candle, etc that's not permanent. For the permanent mark...tattoos maybe? Friendship bracelet? This is hard.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

rockcity posted:

Damascus steel and meteorite are both plenty durable for a wedding band. I'm kind of leaning toward a combination of those two at the moment.

Meteorite will rust and is somewhat soft. Damascus steel is a bit better, not that's not my thing so I didn't really consider it.

I also work with my hands a lot and am outside in the elements very frequently for my job, so I might be a bit rougher on the ring than most people.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Hawkgirl posted:

For the ceremony you could do something like a hand binding, unity candle, etc that's not permanent. For the permanent mark...tattoos maybe? Friendship bracelet? This is hard.

A candle could work. I hadn't thought of that.

I think we just won't do any sort of permanent mark. It's not really necessary.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

LogisticEarth posted:

I also work with my hands a lot and am outside in the elements very frequently for my job, so I might be a bit rougher on the ring than most people.

Yeah my husband and I are both outdoorsy and he does a lot of labor-type jobs so we just went with plain titanium bands. They were $40 for both of them I think. I've been wearing mine for over a year and it looks a little scuffed but otherwise fine. If I decide I need a shinier one (doubt it) I'll just get a new one.

I don't even have an engagement ring or whatever, I just have the band. I really don't care about diamonds. It's pretty funny because I've had people (both girls and guys) grab my hand to look at my ring when they found out I got married, and they always look kind of shocked when they see it's literally just a band with no stone or anything.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Nessa posted:

A candle could work. I hadn't thought of that.

I think we just won't do any sort of permanent mark. It's not really necessary.

Yeah. If you want the giddy newlywed "omg I'm married!" feeling one usually gets from noticing their ring, maybe you could write each other a little note and keep it in your wallets. :3:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Hawkgirl posted:

Yeah. If you want the giddy newlywed "omg I'm married!" feeling one usually gets from noticing their ring, maybe you could write each other a little note and keep it in your wallets. :3:

I'll probably just wear my engagement ring once it gets finished. :)

melaneyelia
Apr 4, 2006

put on your adventure helmet, it's time for an adventure!

nyerf posted:

Now, I don't normally wear makeup, and have no idea what I'm doing half the time, and I certainly don't know what makeup would work best for outdoor daytime wedding photographs. Our photographers normally have a woman they recommend for hair + makeup but she's on maternity leave apparently so now I'm lost.
If you never wear makeup, you shouldn't need to hire someone to do it. If you feel like a little pop would help for your lips, eyes, or cheeks, ask a cousin, aunt, mom, or other trusted friend to do a few subtle things. If you honestly ask around, you might find that some of your friends who you're absolutely sure don't wear makeup actually do. Most people don't think I wear makeup, but it's just the right amount that when I don't have it on people comment that I look pale and tired.

As a cheap makeup wearer (drug store stuff for most of my stuff, ranging mostly from Wet N' Wild to Physician's Formula), it was helpful for me to splurge on getting a "beauty box" from Wantable. I played around with different makeup, and ended up mostly with just a few add-ons (more eye shadow, different eyeliner, sparkly shimmer, a long-wearing RED lipstick) to what I usually wear. My cousin's primer was key to keeping everything in place.

When I asked my photographer what I should wear, she said she could work with however much or little I had on. This is something good to look for in photographers. Not someone who will make you look like you have more or less makeup on, but someone who knows their editing well enough to emphasize your most beautiful features. That's really what makeup should do anyway, and there's no reason to pressure yourself into doing something you're uncomfortable with just because WIC says you need to pay X amount for hair & makeup.

Nessa posted:

So does anyone have any ideas for substitutes for wedding bands? At least for the ceremony? I wear jewelry a lot, but my fiancé doesn't and won't, so even if we were to get wedding bands, one of them would be forever unworn, and that kind of defeats the purpose of having wedding bands, doesn't it? I'm looking for some kind of alternative.

Just super seconding Razz and Hawkgirl. Both good ideas.

My husband also doesn't wear jewelry at all. Neither do I, except for a ring or two and maybe a bracelet or necklace if I'm getting super fancy. It was weird the first couple weeks, and John kept taking his off to wash dishes and then going out and coming home to get it and then going out again. Now we seriously don't think about them and it feels weird to have them off. Your fiance might end up in this same group.

Or just don't do a ring exchange. Candles and hand-fasting are both great ideas. There are other alternatives, too, like exchanging intimate (not sexy) gifts, or hell, like swearing an oath in front of your most important people that this person is the most important.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Solved our string quartet budget problem-- we're hiring part of the local university's orchestra. Only costs $450 for two hours (so they could play for cocktail hour too) instead of the $1000+ professionals want for 45 minutes of music.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if there are other services I can get for cheap via college students.

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

The most epic adventure ever undertaken

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Now I'm beginning to wonder if there are other services I can get for cheap via college students.

My cousin got married last year and asked around the film department of her college (NYU) for someone interested in doing their video. It worked out wonderfully, and I plan on doing the same.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'm so tired of the loving "giving away" discussion and who gives who to who and poo poo. I've decided.

This is what I want.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Strat posted:

We used Ian at http://www.ellissi.com/ who is based in the Melbourne CBD. He was amazingly helpful. Probably not the cheapest but worked closely with me, within my budget and got the perfect stone for my fiance and put together a unique design. Highly recommended.

Cheers, thank you

Sugar Bean
Jun 6, 2011

Hangover of no regrets.
So, I've just gotten engaged. We've been dating for awhile (over 5 years.) I'm 25, he's 24, and we have absolutely no idea about this wedding planning business. I've dipped a toe or two into the fun stuff, as in what the color theme is,what dress I'm shooting for (I've decided), what your bridal party will be wearing, and what sort of ceremony we'll be having (a friend of ours will be officiating, we're not religious people.) But, honestly, I have no idea about what I should be planning in the timeline we're planning for; In at the very least 2 years, but probably about 2 1/2-3 years

Is there an order in which I should be deciding on All Things To Do With Wedding? Does anyone know what worked best for them? Links would help.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Sugar Bean posted:

So, I've just gotten engaged. We've been dating for awhile (over 5 years.) I'm 25, he's 24, and we have absolutely no idea about this wedding planning business. I've dipped a toe or two into the fun stuff, as in what the color theme is,what dress I'm shooting for (I've decided), what your bridal party will be wearing, and what sort of ceremony we'll be having (a friend of ours will be officiating, we're not religious people.) But, honestly, I have no idea about what I should be planning in the timeline we're planning for; In at the very least 2 years, but probably about 2 1/2-3 years

Is there an order in which I should be deciding on All Things To Do With Wedding? Does anyone know what worked best for them? Links would help.

The Knot is actually really helpful for this. It sends email reminders about where you should be in your planning and kind of puts things in a general order.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

TheKnot is what we've been using. it has a checklist of what to do when. With such a long engagement I wouldn't worry about the actual logistics until about a year out. Personally I got all the stuff that wasn't date-sensitive done first (buying my dress, picking out bridesmaids dresses, buying rings, etc) since our date has been in constant flux.

On that note, our June date is now toast. We're now shooting for January. Bring me all the kittens in the land, I must punch them all :suicide: Goodbye, deposits.

Edit: All of our vendors have been amazing and none have made us fork over a new deposit yet and all have been available on our new date :dance: Aside from a huge-rear end fight with my dad about the date change this is going a lot more smoothly than I imagined it would.

Problem! fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 9, 2013

hooliganesh
Aug 1, 2003

REPENT!
Got hitched yesterday and everything went swimmingly, woo! Of course, it didn't hurt having a couple of Goons there lending moral support (no neckbeards) and that my bride just so happens to be an event coordinator - I simply had to be at there on the correct time/date/place, wearing socks, no exceptions. Of course, the snifters of Irish whiskey the gals at the venue had onhand for just such an occasion didn't hurt a bit, either. "Casual" and "fun" were the operative words of the day and I'd like thinking our guests felt the sentiments accordingly; it was a nice event, one hundred percent drama-free and now I've got a wife presently gestating our first child anticipated for sometime in September.

Bonus points are awarded to the lucky holders of the preliminary draft of the wedding handouts with the graphic of Dickbutt as a placeholder while I was checking the formatting and looking for a decent images of we two - oops! Not sure how those made it into the stack, but we got a good laugh they made in onto a couple of lucky placeholder's spots. Again, fun and casual were the orders of the day and I'm eternally grateful we pulled if off accordingly!

incendia
Apr 8, 2007

Cephalomaniac
Just a real quick question, the first post isn't seemingly UK biased so I was wondering if anyone could provide any advice for the best places in the UK for engagement rings?

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

incendia posted:

Just a real quick question, the first post isn't seemingly UK biased so I was wondering if anyone could provide any advice for the best places in the UK for engagement rings?

I came here to post this exact same thing. I've looked a little around a handful of places but would appreciate any advice going.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I'm starting to see things around the internet about tipping vendors. Is this a common practice? Which vendors need tips and how much is customary? I'm not trying to :can: about tipping, I genuinely don't have a clue about this. I don't want to accidentally be a dick and not tip them when they were expecting one.

Bumping the wedding up 5 months so it's now 5 months away instead of 10 is messing with my slow and steady planning groove and now I'm like OH poo poo GOTTA GET poo poo DONE. I'm almost caught up to speed, and I am so glad I got a lot of stuff done way in advance.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I'm starting to see things around the internet about tipping vendors. Is this a common practice? Which vendors need tips and how much is customary? I'm not trying to :can: about tipping, I genuinely don't have a clue about this. I don't want to accidentally be a dick and not tip them when they were expecting one.

I quote my clients on salary basis and don't expect to receive a tip. That said: I can't remember the last wedding I played where I didn't receive a tip. Having worked the catering side of things before, many include a service charge calculated on all the food furnished paid out to the wait staff as a tip.

I think that it is a specialized service and no tip is necessary but I don't mind that it has become customary? Keeps me on my toes and wanting to do a good job for clients (musician).

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I would say wedding consultant if they're good, other people if they're really awesome or go the extra mile, but in general, no tips. Food service gets tips only if there's no built in 20% service charge as is standard.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
Also, if there is anyone who you are using as a vendor who is the actual owner of the business (photographer, DJ, hair salon owner that ends up doing your hair, etc.), typically they do not receive a tip.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Good to know. The people I was planning on tipping were our musicians since they're students and would appreciate the extra cash and the hair/makeup people since that's an industry where tipping is customary.

I was beginning to think it would have been a big faux pas not to tip your DJ and photographer, then getting worried because we'd already maxed our budget on those things and couldn't afford an extra 20% :ohdear:

Unknowing
Jan 22, 2005
It's news to me.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Hey, it's been a whole week and I still find myself playing with the my ring. That said I also don't understand his concern. Yes it felt weird trying it on in the store; I've never worn rings. It was strange seeing it on my finger that first time, but since the ceremony it's been a nice, little constant reminder of us.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

New Weave Wendy posted:

Also, if there is anyone who you are using as a vendor who is the actual owner of the business (photographer, DJ, hair salon owner that ends up doing your hair, etc.), typically they do not receive a tip.

This is completely spot on. I'm a wedding photographer and I can count on one hand the number of times I or my parents (family business) have received a tip for the weddings. If you feel they did an amazing job, you're welcome to, people will very rarely turn down a tip :D

That said, if anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

Writer Cath posted:

This is completely spot on. I'm a wedding photographer and I can count on one hand the number of times I or my parents (family business) have received a tip for the weddings. If you feel they did an amazing job, you're welcome to, people will very rarely turn down a tip :D

That said, if anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.

My fiance and I are thinking of forgoing posed pictures entirely. We just want our photographer to wander around and take pictures of ceremony and reception. All the posed pictures from other people's weddings that we've seen just look kind of fake. Do you think we're making a mistake? Have you had other people that did this and then regretted/loved it?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

compshateme85 posted:

My fiance and I are thinking of forgoing posed pictures entirely. We just want our photographer to wander around and take pictures of ceremony and reception. All the posed pictures from other people's weddings that we've seen just look kind of fake. Do you think we're making a mistake? Have you had other people that did this and then regretted/loved it?

I'd base your decision on your photographer's portfolio. Does everyone look relaxed and natural or does it look like school picture day? If you mesh well with your photographer on a personal level it'll help too. We got along well with the photographer who did our engagement pictures and they came out really nice; on the flip side my friends hired a photographer who turned out to be a creepy guy with questionable people skills (who hits on a bride at her wedding?) and they looked like they just want to get out of there ASAP instead of enjoying themselves in their posed pictures.

If you're on the fence, can you do a short engagement pictures session with your photographer and if you think the posed pictures look stiff and fake forego them at your wedding?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

compshateme85 posted:

What AG said is pretty spot on, definitely see if you can get an engagement session to get a feel for the photographer's work. If it's possible, see if the photographer can have an assistant on hand, taking more candid photos. The reception photos do tend to be relaxed and informal; very rarely do we pose things at the reception.

As for my own experience with that sort of thing, if the client wants that style, we happily do them, but usually include one or two formal poses. And for the most part, the couples wound up liking the posed stuff more.

I find that parents tend to appreciate the traditional poses, so that's a consideration if you're giving out gifts.

But ultimately, it is your day and you should have the kind of pictures you want. But be sure to bring this up with your photographer beforehand.

Writer Cath fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 18, 2013

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
As another wedding photographer, most people end up liking the posed stuff more, but they have to be well done. I've seen a lot of really corny, boring and awkward posed shots in my day. I try to find either really interesting locations or really play with my studio lights when I do mine to make them really stand out. There's nothing wrong with no posed stuff though if that's what you want. I come from 4 years of photojournalism so the rest of my shooting is all done super natural and candid. I wouldn't be offended if someone asked me not to do posed stuff, though I'll saw my favorite shots during a wedding are nearly always my posed ones, mostly because I can control the light a lot more.

And to add more anecdotal experience about tipping, I've shot maybe 15 weddings now and I've never been tipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.
That's good advice. We're getting married on Friday and we never did an engagement session so I think we're just going to forgo most posed shots, except maybe ones with immediate family if they get insistent about it. I like our photographers non-posed shots better anyway and she is a friend from way back. I'm not super into this wedding, I just went along with it because my fiance wanted it, as did both our moms. So if the photos aren't perfect, I really don't care. I just don't want to get flak about not doing the traditional shots 1,5 and 10 years down the road.