Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

thehumandignity posted:

Huh, how many crossbowmen can 1000 gold even buy? Like 3?

Starting in Renaissance, or maybe the quick turn thing, I dunno, made everything a lot cheaper. It was also turn 3 or 4 when I got them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

So I decide to give Spain a shot.

I end up on a small continent with... Montezuma, Shaka, Attila and Ghengis.

:suicide:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mr. Fun posted:

Starting in Renaissance, or maybe the quick turn thing, I dunno, made everything a lot cheaper. It was also turn 3 or 4 when I got them.

Quick speed makes it so units are cheaper to buy. I'm sure the renaissance start helped your decision a lot though if you could get 4 or so crossbows immediately on turn 4, then why wouldn't someone try to push a huge military advantage like that? Spain can be pretty broken if you start right by some natural wonders can can discover them in the first dozen turns or so. Even on Standard, getting 1000 gold immediately is two settlers for free. I found El Dorado on turn 3 a few days ago and that was practically an instant game win.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 5, 2013

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I won a 12-player game as Napoleon with a cultural victory on King, squeaking out against Germany's space win. He completed the Apollo Program and was building parts, but not sending them to his capital. Giving him iron and horses to start a war with Assyria probably secured my win.

Shoshone was sitting on 14000 gold for most of the game, strangely. I guess he didn't want to be an rear end in a top hat like Alexander and pay CS to win. :v:

RIP China, you were a good neighbor until Assyria demolished you.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So how is the New France, anyway? Haven't tried them out.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Speedball posted:

A.culture monster. You just need a lot of spreadout luxury resource tiles to rack up the culture with Chateaus. The double theming bonus is also pretty strong, though I think I still prefer Brazil's Golden Age tourism bonus more.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Speedball posted:

The unique ability is neat if you're going for a culture victory, nearly useless otherwise. I think it's too specific to be very good, but I do like Chateaus a lot.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I never put this together on the tech tree, but in my most recent game I managed to invent the Internet without researching computers. Seems like there should be a prerequisite there.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Your people went right to Smart Phone technology.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

I never put this together on the tech tree, but in my most recent game I managed to invent the Internet without researching computers. Seems like there should be a prerequisite there.

You can also invent gatling guns before having learned anything about gunpowder of rifling. In fact you get all the modern day infantry without gunpowder.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Geokinesis posted:

You can also invent gatling guns before having learned anything about gunpowder of rifling. In fact you get all the modern day infantry without gunpowder.
There should be a special, hidden "railgun rifleman" promotion for players who get GWI and Infantrymen without Gunpowder.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Xae posted:

So I decide to give Spain a shot.

I end up on a small continent with... Montezuma, Shaka, Attila and Ghengis.

:suicide:

Got the two last ones trying to break my deity cherry. Hell, even Elisabeth fucks up my poo poo.

Sucks that building archers does nothing on the preventive side of things when the fools have a hard on for pushing my poo poo in.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
If I see Attila at my border in a deity game I just restart. I know he's possible to survive (MadDjinn Babylon LP for a good example of surviving early Huns by abusing the really, really bad AI) but that massive rush comes so early and is so brutal. Shaka at least gives you a while to prepare/buy him off, but when Attila is ready to come knockin' you barely have 5 GPT and nothing to distract him.

I like seeing Elizabeth, though. She's treacherous and aggressive, but she doesn't make very good use of her UUs and she tends to build quite tall with a focus on wonders. Meaning that if you can capture her capital as soon as artillery pops it's usually a big payday.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Your people went right to Smart Phone technology.

That's still computers :colbert:

What actually happens is you invent the internet using an elaborate system of telegraph wires, mechanic switches and coal-powered printing presses

Edit: sounds like I missed a fun game last night (but I had to get my sleep :britain:) - hopefully I can join in on Thursday though (if that's when the next one is being organised?)

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

KKKlean Energy posted:

What actually happens is you invent the internet using an elaborate system of telegraph wires, mechanic switches and coal-powered printing presses

I think this was a feature of the future in Jules Verne's Paris in the 20th Century.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Jeez, I used to get stomped on if I tried difficulty above Prince. After reading this thread and watching the LPs posted here, I just rolled through Emperor like it was nothing. Science victory with Polynesia (Moai are pretty cool). I would have had a diplomacy victory a few turns later, WITH Venice and Austria on the map.

Didn't even fight a war against the gimp AI to do it.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

KKKlean Energy posted:

Edit: sounds like I missed a fun game last night (but I had to get my sleep :britain:) - hopefully I can join in on Thursday though (if that's when the next one is being organised?)

I want to note its actually possible to invent the internet without inventing electronics. Inventing it without computers is common, if your rushing culture.

EDIT: Sorry for disappearing from the game last night. First power cut in forever and it happens when playing multiplayer civ.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Going to stream some Scramble for Africa in a minute or two:

http://www.twitch.tv/captainfargle

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's a pipe dream, but I would kill for a modern iteration of Civilization 2: Test of Time. Multiple z-levels to play on would be fantastic, don't even bother making it for singleplayer. Multiplayer games is where this would shine.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
The internet without computers is easy. It's a network of HAM radio operators and carrier pigeons. If you're playing Indonesia, you can even do it with magic!

E: I think I've changed my mind about cavalry after using them pretty extensively in the last few games. Having 4+ units with that kind of mobility is amazingly useful. Hell, in my current game as America, it means my cav can keep pace with my minutemen across rough terrain. I just wish they'd start with charge or have it unlock after one promotion, as flanking and killing fleeing or healing units is their best use.

Also, thanks to whomever pointed out that you can name units when they get promoted by clicking the tiny edit button. Having a blast roleplaying with my army mans. Now I just need a mod that lets me add map labels like in Civ IV.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Aug 5, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I finally got a decent Shaka game, violated the Iroquois, but ran out of money and happiness and there really wasn't anyone else to kill anyway so I quit. You just can't mong a good war in this game.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

It's a pipe dream, but I would kill for a modern iteration of Civilization 2: Test of Time. Multiple z-levels to play on would be fantastic, don't even bother making it for singleplayer. Multiplayer games is where this would shine.

Even Call to Power's undersea and orbital cities would be neat as all get out.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Jedit posted:

I finally got a decent Shaka game, violated the Iroquois, but ran out of money and happiness and there really wasn't anyone else to kill anyway so I quit. You just can't mong a good war in this game.

Play against type. Use Shaka's unique melee promotions and 50% melee maintenance to keep a large standing army that punches above its weight. If you can swing Alhambra, Brandenburg and Heroic Epic in the same city, anyone foolish enough to declare on you is toast. Use that breathing room to pursue other goals.

That's what I'm about to do. I'll beat Emperor yet! I played on Prince for quite some time and then won a couple of King games handily, so decided to bump it up to Emperor. It's been rough.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Ulvirich posted:

Even Call to Power's undersea and orbital cities would be neat as all get out.

God, I'd kill for a new Call to Power.
Can't get the old ones to work in multiplayer. :sigh:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

In my current Large Earth game with real starting locations, I've witnessed Europe being completely conquered from the Pyrenees to the Wolga several times.

First by the Germans who wiped out the French in the process. Then by the Romans who destroyed the Germans and finally the English who suddenly came from across the channel in a spectacular fashion as soon as they invented the longbow. They pushed back the Romans who were ultimately left with only two cities in Italy and one in Northern Africa. And now it seems that even Spain is trying to spill their army over the Pyrenees into Anglo-Europe.

It's a fantastic Rise and Fall of empires that is happening over the course of a thousand years and I just wish this type of stuff would happen more often in my games.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
I'm about ready to take a break from this, but before I do, I wanted to have a cheated game. Mainly give myself a ton of gold and/or culture points. I tried using a memory editor (Cheat O Matic, which is usually golden), but it can't find the numbers. Any tips?

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

TheBalor posted:

I just wish there was some way to mute the drat intro.

If only there was such a button on most keyboards, speakers or headsets, or an in-game menu where a similar result could be achieved...

Just slap all the music in iTunes and turn all in-game sound off, so you can keep listening to the Brazilian war theme (the best theme) uninterrupted.

Jolan fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 5, 2013

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Project1 posted:

I'm about ready to take a break from this, but before I do, I wanted to have a cheated game. Mainly give myself a ton of gold and/or culture points. I tried using a memory editor (Cheat O Matic, which is usually golden), but it can't find the numbers. Any tips?

Look up 'in game editor' in the workshop. It's the best one out there.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Ssthalar posted:

God, I'd kill for a new Call to Power.
Can't get the old ones to work in multiplayer. :sigh:

If we're gonna be fantasizing about Civ games that will never happen, where's my Alpha Centauri 2?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Project1 posted:

Play Aztecs or Zulu with raging barbarians and this mod to remove the barbarian xp cap!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

Play against type. Use Shaka's unique melee promotions and 50% melee maintenance to keep a large standing army that punches above its weight. If you can swing Alhambra, Brandenburg and Heroic Epic in the same city, anyone foolish enough to declare on you is toast. Use that breathing room to pursue other goals.

What poo poo is this you speak? I am Shaka, proud warrior king of the Zulu! History does not remember me for leading my people to a glorious sitting on their arses waiting to tech up to Artillery, it remembers me for trying to turn Michael Caine into a loving pincushion. If the civ with the best pre-Industrial UU and a UB that only does anything special up to that point can't wage pre-Industrial war then that's pretty terrible.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
At what point exactly does the World Congress shift so that you get votes from city-state allies? I missed out on Host and Forbidden Palace initially and it's annoying not being able to make proposals.

edit: I can't figure out whether it's when *I* enter the industrial era, or when *everyone* does, or what?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 5, 2013

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
So after 3 easy "just spam next turn" wins on Immortal, I decided to make the jump to Diety - holy crap, I feel like the AI is playing on quick speed while I'm stuck on standard - instead of catching up by the early Renaissance, I've got Bismarck entering the Modern Era the same turn that I get Scientific Theory

edit: WC added city-states before there was even a vote

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why

Deceptive Thinker posted:

So after 3 easy "just spam next turn" wins on Immortal, I decided to make the jump to Diety - holy crap, I feel like the AI is playing on quick speed while I'm stuck on standard - instead of catching up by the early Renaissance, I've got Bismarck entering the Modern Era the same turn that I get Scientific Theory

edit: WC added city-states before there was even a vote

A friend and I decided to play a game against some Deity AI. We got a start that would have heralded a fantastic victory on Immortal, but it wasn't even close to enough on Deity. We just.. survived. Nothing more, nothing less. I read some stuff about fighting Deity AI and most victories against them seem to be fairly cheesy in nature, stuff like rushing on a small map with battering rams. I imagine it can be done legitimately, but I am not the man to do it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

thehumandignity posted:

or that the Cuban Missile Crisis was actually a response to us increasing the proximity of missiles to Moscow and not just some bullshit power grab out of the blue

From a page back but this part is actually debatable and people have cited that Khrushchev was making a bullshit power grab in order to avoid getting shanked by his cabinet.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

At what point exactly does the World Congress shift so that you get votes from city-state allies? I missed out on Host and Forbidden Palace initially and it's annoying not being able to make proposals.

edit: I can't figure out whether it's when *I* enter the industrial era, or when *everyone* does, or what?

I'm pretty sure it's when at least half the civs reach the industrial era? Might be wrong though, I'd also like to know this.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Barent posted:

I'm pretty sure it's when at least half the civs reach the industrial era? Might be wrong though, I'd also like to know this.

It's when either half the civs hit industrial or one reaches the era beyond it. All the WC upgrades work that way.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Starks posted:

It's when either half the civs hit industrial or one reaches the era beyond it. All the WC upgrades work that way.

Hooooookay. Now I get it. Thanks.

I've got kindof a weird game going, at least for me, since most of my games are bloodbaths and this one has been relatively peaceful apart from a few hundred years of war against Songhai (who were on my continent and had built Colossus while I was building Petra). I'm on Immortal as Morocco and I'm at a point where I'm generating about 90 faith per turn with Desert Folklore, as well as about 200 gold per turn (net) from trade routes, tithe, etc., going tall. Despite all that I'm #2 worldwide in the science race behind America, I *think* because America's been using the Patronage science bonus from city-state allies, which it took me a little while to catch on to (either that or the AI on immortal can dodge the additional city penalties, because I went tall and America went major wide).

I've got a social policy open this turn (seemed like a good stopping place last night) and my next pick is reformation belief. I'm a little undecided. Industrial-era land units with faith seems pretty cool but the map is small continents/high sea levels and any major war is going to be primarily naval. I could take the "any great person" belief but I can already buy Great Engineers. I'm actually considering going with the +30% to gold gifts reformation belief, then take the +25% gold gifts in Patronage and just use my gold dominance to own all city states from here on out.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 5, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

When half the people move to the Industrial age or someone gets to the Modern, whichever happens first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

A warning: Desert Folklore is bugged. It won't produce Faith from Desert tiles in a city with Petra under certain conditions - I'm not sure exactly what those conditions are, but it's happened to me twice now.

• Locked thread