Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

And another thing: I bought a PS2 specifically to play Dragon Quest VIII, and I picked up Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter really cheap too. Now I'm wondering if the best way to play these games isn't actually to run them on an emulator on my PC?
Anyone got any insights on the pros and cons of doing it on an emulator vs doing it 'pure'?

It depends, do you like upscaling to 1080p, anti-aliasing and texture filtering? (Yes, if your PC can handle it, emulation is totally the way to go.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax

BadAstronaut posted:

Were there any good Megadrive RPGs that never made it to the west that have since been well translated?

I haven't played them, but I hear people are rather fond of both Langrisser II and its SNES remake Der Langrisser, and both games have good translation patches available.

Speaking of translations, is there any work done on a Wild Arms 2 retranslation?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BadAstronaut posted:

EDIT: And I'm guessing that the best way to play Dragon Quest/Warrior III would actually be to play a translated SNES rom rather than the official English translation on the Gameboy Colour? How is the general vibe of DQIII - is it very similar to 4,6 and 9? These are the only ones I played. Loved them though.
The GBC remake added an extra dungeon at the end. Nothing special, just pointing out.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

That's crazy about the DQ launch madness. Got a link to a good telling of the full story?
I'll check Wikipedia for references etc, but if anyone can point me somewhere I'd be really interested.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

BadAstronaut posted:

And another thing: I bought a PS2 specifically to play Dragon Quest VIII, and I picked up Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter really cheap too. Now I'm wondering if the best way to play these games isn't actually to run them on an emulator on my PC?
Anyone got any insights on the pros and cons of doing it on an emulator vs doing it 'pure'?

EDIT: And I'm guessing that the best way to play Dragon Quest/Warrior III would actually be to play a translated SNES rom rather than the official English translation on the Gameboy Colour? How is the general vibe of DQIII - is it very similar to 4,6 and 9? These are the only ones I played. Loved them though.

Also bear in mind that Dragon Quarter has something like 6 times you can save in the entire like 15ish hour game. I managed to beat it like that back when it came out, but I'm not sure if I would want to anymore.

DQ 3 is a super old class based RPG. The different versions are all really similiar. To play it and enjoy it you really have to be able to enjoy super old school RPGs with class systems. I would actually compare it a lot to Final Fantasy 3, if you liked that game you will probably like DQ 3, if you didn't like that game I wouldn't try DQ 3 (and vice versa).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dragon Quest 3 is one of my favorite RPGs. There's no substantial difference between the SNES and GBC versions - the SNES version obviously looks better, while the GBC version lets you walk around faster and has a more concise script. Since the GBC version is based on the SNES version, the content is the same, except there's an additional, shittier bonus dungeon added after the existing bonus dungeon. The NES version should be avoided, and do not bother with monster medals.

It's most similar to Dragon Quest 9 in that most of your party is made of generics, but its class system is much simpler than that. The game is somewhere between 4 and 6 in size, and combat more closely resembles 4 insofar as there aren't a lot of the more varied special attacks from later in the series; the classes you can choose from are basically identical to the characters in 4. There are a few places in the game where a passing familiarity with the first game in the series will enhance your enjoyment, but I wouldn't go out and play that one; it's short but it's not very interesting these days.

Any two Dragon Quest games have more in common with each other than any other game, so you should find it comfortably familiar if you've already played some.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Thank you. Seeing as I won't have the time to play both, which would you recommend I go with: the GBC release or a translated SNES ROM hack?

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

BadAstronaut posted:

Thank you. Seeing as I won't have the time to play both, which would you recommend I go with: the GBC release or a translated SNES ROM hack?

SNES, hands down. This coming from someone who owned the GBC version.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Thanks for the info. Decided then - that's the one I will play.

Crossposting this from the Nintendo 3DS thread as this is more focused to this topic: anyone got any comments on Valkyrie Profile: Covenant Of The Plume? This game looks awesome and maybe somewhere between Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics if I am reading the reviews right. Looks interesting and I might be able to get it off eBay for under £10... is it worth it?

EDIT: And another thing, seeing as I'm riding the 'what is the best way to play xxx' thing: What is the best way to play Dragon Quest V? I bought it on DS expecting it to be all kinds of awesome, and it probably is, but the guy who sold it ended up giving me a pirated version that won't run in my 3DS. :smith:
Complete with lovely manual which is actually copy and pasted from some review of the game. It works in my old DS-lite but I'm sort of done with that tiny screen having been spoiled by my 3DS-XL and PSP, and am even considering buying the game again on DS if I can get a copy for under £20. Which is unlikely given how much people are charging for the drat thing...

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 5, 2013

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
For under 10, absolutely especially for it being an old Atlus game. It's a short main story but it's meant to be replayed 3 times for 3 almost completely different scenarios plus it has a Gate-like post-game that's pretty fun.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Crossposting this as it ought to get more exposure. You can now buy an English Mother 3 cart. Good RPG. The combat is novel but gets very samey late game. Buff yourself, debuff the boss, and go for it. That's every tough fight.

The cart:
http://store.retroquestgames.com/other.html#!/~/product/category=5904008&id=26682452

The box:
http://uncletusk.com/catalog/25
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=105223

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Tae posted:

For under 10, absolutely especially for it being an old Atlus game. It's a short main story but it's meant to be replayed 3 times for 3 almost completely different scenarios plus it has a Gate-like post-game that's pretty fun.

Thanks. Any idea how many hours of gameplay we're looking at there? For first finish, and then for all content?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

BadAstronaut posted:

Thanks for the info. Decided then - that's the one I will play.

Crossposting this from the Nintendo 3DS thread as this is more focused to this topic: anyone got any comments on Valkyrie Profile: Covenant Of The Plume? This game looks awesome and maybe somewhere between Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics if I am reading the reviews right. Looks interesting and I might be able to get it off eBay for under £10... is it worth it?

EDIT: And another thing, seeing as I'm riding the 'what is the best way to play xxx' thing: What is the best way to play Dragon Quest V? I bought it on DS expecting it to be all kinds of awesome, and it probably is, but the guy who sold it ended up giving me a pirated version that won't run in my 3DS. :smith:
Complete with lovely manual which is actually copy and pasted from some review of the game. It works in my old DS-lite but I'm sort of done with that tiny screen having been spoiled by my 3DS-XL and PSP, and am even considering buying the game again on DS if I can get a copy for under £20. Which is unlikely given how much people are charging for the drat thing...

I think the best version of DQV is on the PS2, personally. It's the same game on the handheld that I know of but I'll always prefer gaming on a TV/Monitor to a handheld. There is a full English patch for it out there and it emulates really well on PCSX2.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So there is no way to play a hacked/patched translated version on my actual PS2 then? I mean, would I need to patch an ISO and burn it and then play it on a chipped PS2?

EDIT: This is it? Looks good..

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Aug 5, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
PS2 emulation is at a point now where there's pretty much no reason I'll ever turn my PS2 on again. Unless a game doesn't run properly, which has only really been an issue with Valkyrie Profile 2 (and even that had workarounds). PCSX2 looks a lot better than the real deal and is far more convenient regarding patched .ISOs or downloading memory card saves.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Wow, I really had no idea it had gotten this far. Makes me think I should sell my PS2 and just keep the games I still intend to play (which amount to basically Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter and Dragon Quest VIII at this stage - and if I can get a translated version of DQV, I might play that instead of the DS remake).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, you're probably going to get pennies on the dollar since PS2s are so cheap these days so you might as well hang onto it. Also I was making the assumption that you or anyone else has a decent enough PC to run PCSX2 in the first place, which is obviously a big leap to make. 3+ GHz with 4GB of RAM is around the floor you'd want. But yes it is incredibly far along and just about any game worth playing is compatible.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
I see that Realms of Arkania remake has come out on Steam recently. I went back a good number of pages here and didn't see any discussion about it. Was debating giving it a try. I didn't play the oroginal, so I wouldn't be trying it with nostalgia glasses. Anyone have it? Thoughts?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Bo-Pepper posted:

I see that Realms of Arkania remake has come out on Steam recently. I went back a good number of pages here and didn't see any discussion about it. Was debating giving it a try. I didn't play the oroginal, so I wouldn't be trying it with nostalgia glasses. Anyone have it? Thoughts?

The game is so unfinished that they didn't even bother translating all of it into English. Like, the unfinishedness of it applies to all aspects.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Welp. Glad I asked.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

Well, you're probably going to get pennies on the dollar since PS2s are so cheap these days so you might as well hang onto it. Also I was making the assumption that you or anyone else has a decent enough PC to run PCSX2 in the first place, which is obviously a big leap to make. 3+ GHz with 4GB of RAM is around the floor you'd want. But yes it is incredibly far along and just about any game worth playing is compatible.

Thanks - yeah I've got a pretty decent system. Does it use proper 3D - ie, it will take advantage of my GeForce 560Ti?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

BadAstronaut posted:

Wow, I really had no idea it had gotten this far. Makes me think I should sell my PS2 and just keep the games I still intend to play (which amount to basically Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter and Dragon Quest VIII at this stage - and if I can get a translated version of DQV, I might play that instead of the DS remake).

Just a note on DQ8 - there's a section that requires being able to see a particular shadow and last I played it on an PCSX2 it couldn't render it properly, which made it somewhat tough to complete that segment. There might be an easy fix in the graphical options that I didn't explore much to fix (caught up in other things, so it's possibly a very easy "CHECK THIS BUTTON" type fix)

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Thansk for the heads up - how far into the game is this? Will it be apparent when I reach the moment that something is amiss, and I will know exactly what you're talking about when I get there?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

BadAstronaut posted:

Thanks - yeah I've got a pretty decent system. Does it use proper 3D - ie, it will take advantage of my GeForce 560Ti?
I dunno, though it's known to be mostly CPU-bound rather than doing anything with your graphics card. The PCSX2 Thread is probably going to be your best resource on technical questions at any rate.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Wendell posted:

The game is so unfinished that they didn't even bother translating all of it into English. Like, the unfinishedness of it applies to all aspects.

One of the developers apologized for the state of the game. I guess it might be a decent game several months down the road when they patch it enough.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Heran Bago posted:

You can now buy an English Mother 3 cart.

Isn't this :filez:?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dross posted:

Isn't this :filez:?

Yeah, there's no way in hell they aren't getting sued.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

People make repro carts all the time. This would only be important if Nintendo actually had some plans to release the game in the West at all.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Nintendo have a habit of vociferously protecting their interests, though, even when money isn't being exchanged. I'd bet pretty good money they'll come down on this hard.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I seriously can't imagine Tomato and anyone he worked with on the patch would be pleased about this if they heard either, though. Even above and beyond the fact that they're insistent that you pay Itoi/Nintendo money for the game, this is somebody else profiting off of their work.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yes, they're going to come down hard on a hobbyist that made maybe 300 carts and charged about what it cost him to make.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Can you run Shadow of the Colossus yet? Because I tried playing it on my PS2 last night and using the PS2 controller for a 3D action game made me want to cut my hands off.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

BadAstronaut posted:

Thansk for the heads up - how far into the game is this? Will it be apparent when I reach the moment that something is amiss, and I will know exactly what you're talking about when I get there?

Moderately far, probably about 1/2 to 2/3rds through or so - and you'll probably know exactly what i'm talking about when you hit that point.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Papercut posted:

Can you run Shadow of the Colossus yet? Because I tried playing it on my PS2 last night and using the PS2 controller for a 3D action game made me want to cut my hands off.
Shadow of the Colossus is kind of the white whale of PCSX2. I don't think anyone has gotten it to run perfectly. I'm actually more or less at the floor I specified so I can only manage around 20-30 FPS on SotC. That said I think interest for getting it to run kind of died out once it got released on the PS3.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nate RFB posted:

Shadow of the Colossus is kind of the white whale of PCSX2. I don't think anyone has gotten it to run perfectly. I'm actually more or less at the floor I specified so I can only manage around 20-30 FPS on SotC. That said I think interest for getting it to run kind of died out once it got released on the PS3.

That and Valkyrie Profile 2. I really want to run it and my PS2 is long dead, but I can't.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah, that's too bad. Since I haven't played Ico either, and also desperately want to play Demon's Souls, maybe I should finally get a PS3 (although I don't like the PS3 controller any more than the PS2).

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

Papercut posted:

Yeah, that's too bad. Since I haven't played Ico either, and also desperately want to play Demon's Souls, maybe I should finally get a PS3 (although I don't like the PS3 controller any more than the PS2).

I played through SotC and Ico on PCSX2 a few years back on my old Macbook and it ran pretty well with a few speed hacks on, and I can only assume that it runs a lot better now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Prism posted:

That and Valkyrie Profile 2. I really want to run it and my PS2 is long dead, but I can't.
I got VP2 to run mostly fine to my recollection after using the GSdx-Cutie plugin suggested here and cycling through some of the interlacing options with F5. It is a very finicky game to get to work though.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nate RFB posted:

I got VP2 to run mostly fine to my recollection after using the GSdx-Cutie plugin suggested here and cycling through some of the interlacing options with F5. It is a very finicky game to get to work though.

I downloaded it and I'll give it a shot later. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

Thanks. Any idea how many hours of gameplay we're looking at there? For first finish, and then for all content?

It's probably around 10-12 hours for a playthrough and about 20-25 for everything plot-related plus another chunk for the Seraphic Gate. It isn't hugely long but you'll probably get 35 or so hours out of it really easily. Possibly longer if you go for all content since it involves finishing the Seraphic Gate multiple times.

It's also worth noting that you only ever have to replay one chapter of the game each playthrough. There's three different plotlines that branch relatively early on so it's fairly easy to play through 3 times and see completely different content each time.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 5, 2013