Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pick Hard posted:

The original Volcano posters didn't give the viewer a clue as to what Tommy Lee Jones would be doing in the film. Luckily bluray cover artists have come along to give the viewer a much more tantalizing picture of what they're in for.

That's more of a "Did I lock my car doors?" look than "OH poo poo A VOLCANO IS GOING OFF ALL AROUND ME" look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ShufflerZero posted:

Breaking Away (German poster)

Don't believe everything you read on the internet, it's Danish. (The Ø in the credits should be a dead giveaway that it isn't German.)

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Pick Hard posted:

The original Volcano posters didn't give the viewer a clue as to what Tommy Lee Jones would be doing in the film. Luckily bluray cover artists have come along to give the viewer a much more tantalizing picture of what they're in for.

This one reminds me a lot of that Nic Cage 'Taken' rip off, 'Stolen':

Cage is coping with the fireball a lot better than Tommy Lee Jones from the looks of things. Poor fella.

e: Stolcano?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Tommy Lee Jones in
ELDERLY MAN HOBBLES AWAY FROM CAR FIRE.

This is some seriously crummy work.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

That's more of a "Did I lock my car doors?" look than "OH poo poo A VOLCANO IS GOING OFF ALL AROUND ME" look.

Actually, the look is more "Where's the bathroom? I'm about to crap my pants" than anything else.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Young Freud posted:

Actually, the look is more "Where's the bathroom? I'm about to crap my pants" than anything else.

Tommy Lee Jones in
INCONTINENT OLD MAN NEEDS RESTROOM

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Pick Hard posted:

Grandpa we told you to keep an eye on that turkey fryer!

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

Where are you based? Both Amazon and Barnes and Noble ship outside the US; express shipping for a 5lb box to Australia (as in I ordered on Thursday night, and will have it on Tuesday) cost $50. If I had wanted to wait another ten days it would only have cost $25 but I needed one as a present, and it was even better because Barnes and Noble currently have 50% off Criterions...that sale usually rolls around again in November.

Denmark. I forgot all about B&N. I'll keep an eye out, thanks.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Tommy Lee Jones in
INCONTINENT OLD MAN NEEDS RESTROOM

"Volcano" is a metaphor.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Whoa, I think the Mondo people are watching this thread!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Ha, so that's what inspired Fossil to include "2 & 1/2 Years In The Making" in the music video for their song "Moon".

For more directly-related content, here's a poster I always kind of liked, despite the disappointing nature of the movie itself.

I guess they didn't bother to check the readability of their tagline before sending out copies.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I really want a Tommy Lee Jones bobblehead now.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I read that as "a Tommy Lee Jones bobsled" and now I really want one of those, preferably with a bobblehead on the front of it.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Darthemed posted:

Ha, so that's what inspired Fossil to include "2 & 1/2 Years In The Making" in the music video for their song "Moon".

For more directly-related content, here's a poster I always kind of liked, despite the disappointing nature of the movie itself.

I guess they didn't bother to check the readability of their tagline before sending out copies.

I loving love this movie.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeeeeeees once more! Can you tell that I loved this movie?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeeeeeees once more! Can you tell that I loved this movie?

If you wanted one of these you should have posted here. They had a giant stack at my midnight IMAX showing and me and my friends all just took several of them. I would have sent you one for S&H if it had been before they were all claimed by others.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Has this been posted before? Because :stare:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

gmq posted:

It has. The trailer looked like it was trying to be Wet Hot American Summer so much I just watched that instead.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It wasn't that bad a movie. It wasn't great either, but for $5, I didn't feel ripped off. Had some laughs here and there. I was glad I saw it instead of some dumb poo poo like Red 2 or Grown Ups 2.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Does Andy Samberg play Ras Trent in it?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I felt that it was American Pie with a female lead and heavy 90s nostalgia. I quite enjoyed it, though as much as I love Aubrey Plaza, this was not the role for her.
I would definitely watch it again.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
I know the Thor poster was already posted up but I saw this was amused.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That's clearly leading up to the Avengers 2 poster being a huge group hug.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Throb Robinson posted:

I know the Thor poster was already posted up but I saw this was amused.

I think this was probably done on purpose, and they're probably attempting to have a through line in their advertising for Phase 2 stuff.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

I think this was probably done on purpose, and they're probably attempting to have a through line in their advertising for Phase 2 stuff.

Yeah, the font for the actors is the same. So they're trying to keep everything similar marketing-wise.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
So Cap2 will be Scarlett Johanssen and Chris Evans in that pose?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Aatrek posted:

Cap and Winter Soldier. They will espouse very liberal values, in that film.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Aatrek posted:

I would wager that Scarlett Johansson will be hanging out in the same area of the poster as Don Cheadle, Guy Pearce and Anthony Hopkins.

In other news, when DVD covers end up racist and sexist.

The Australian musical comedy, loosely based on actual people, The Sapphires is about an indigenous singing group and their manager in the late 60's and 70's, where they face bigotry at home and the dangers inherent in a warzone when they head to Vietnam to entertain the American troops.

On the left is the US cover for the DVD that is due to be released this week. On the right is the one from Australia and New Zealand.

The four women that the film is loosely based on are appalled at the American cover, and the chairman of the Redfern Aboriginal Medical Service where two of them work had this to say on their behalf.

quote:

As I'm sure you can appreciate, the treatment of people of colour in Australia mirrored much of the trauma to which people in the United States were subjected," their letter reads.

That trauma - and much of that treatment - remains alive and well in Australia today, as I know it does in the United States.

The US cover of the DVD completely misses this point, and in fact reinforces precisely the sort of bigotry that Naomi, Beverly, Lois and Laurel fought so hard against.

We're hopeful that the NAACP - with its long and proud history of advocating strongly for the interests of people of colour - will add its significant voice to calls for the DVD cover to be changed.

The Chief Executive of the same organisation has also added

quote:

What has upset us is that the DVD cover appears to miss that point [of the film] entirely. It's disrespectful to the very talented young Aboriginal actors in the film, and it's disrespectful to us as a group.

But in particular, it's disrespectful to women of colour everywhere who have stood up against this sort of thing all their lives.

We are very proud of our work with the Sapphires and we are proud of the film. We hope that the US distributors of the DVD stop and think about how their depiction of that work might be received, and that it motivates them to reconsider the cover artwork before the DVD is distributed.

Meanwhile, Chris O'Dowd who finds himself featured front and centre, and also appears to be the sole focus of the film's narrative, has repeatedly criticised it, calling it "ridiculous, misleading, ill-judged, insensitive and everything the film wasn't" as well as labelling it "vile."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

This could very well be racist and sexist (and likely is) but it could also be that Chris O'Dowd is the biggest name in the movie, having been in Bridesmaids, and they're trying to sell the movie on his (not all that big) name. Like after Angelina Jolie won her Academy Award and this became the new cover to the Hackers VHS:

Like I said, it's likely racism and sexism like you're pointing out. Or it could just be a misguided attempt to sell the only somewhat recognizable face given how big Bridesmaids was and they're just stupid for not considering the implications. Just a thought.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

thrawn527 posted:

This could very well be racist and sexist (and likely is) but it could also be that Chris O'Dowd is the biggest name in the movie, having been in Bridesmaids, and they're trying to sell the movie on his (not all that big) name. Like after Angelina Jolie won her Academy Award and this became the new cover to the Hackers VHS:

Like I said, it's likely racism and sexism like you're pointing out. Or it could just be a misguided attempt to sell the only somewhat recognizable face given how big Bridesmaids was and they're just stupid for not considering the implications. Just a thought.

Even people who loved Bridesmaids forget what that Irish guys name is.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Even people who loved Bridesmaids forget what that Irish guys name is.

Might not forget his face though. I had no idea what movie that was, but I recognized his face right away (though I guess that was more from The I.T. Crowd). It's a way of catching people's eye, seeing a face they recognize front and center.

It's still stupid.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm pretty sure it's not maliciously racist/sexist. As in the distributors hate women and minorities.

It's probably more, hey lets prominently feature the only guy American audiences would know. This has been done with re-releases of almost all DVD's where there is someone who would be popular later in their career who had a part in this earlier movie.

Not that that is the correct thing to do. But I'm not super offended at it. The Actors in the show, and the original creators I can completely understand them getting angry, and they are completely justified in doing so. But calls of racism or sexism are a bit much.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

thrawn527 posted:

Might not forget his face though. I had no idea what movie that was, but I recognized his face right away (though I guess that was more from The I.T. Crowd). It's a way of catching people's eye, seeing a face they recognize front and center.

It's still stupid.

But see the other poster does that fine. He's the only guy and he's wearing red while they wear blue. It's impossible not to notice him.

If I knew nothing about the Sapphires based on the American cover, I'd assume these are chicks that Chris O'Dowd banged and had a rockin' time doing it.

"A blast of joy!"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dexo posted:

But calls of racism or sexism are a bit much.

I'm sorry, maybe I'm dense, but I don't see how pushing four women, who are minorities into the background, slapping a blue filter over their faces which obscures their skin colour and blends them into the background, while putting a white male front and centre, and implying the movie is entirely about him, isn't racist and sexist.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Vagabundo posted:

I'm sorry, maybe I'm dense, but I don't see how pushing four women, who are minorities into the background, slapping a blue filter over their faces which obscures their skin colour and blends them into the background, while putting a white male front and centre, and implying the movie is entirely about him, isn't racist and sexist.

They also photoshopped the colour of his jacket to blue. It should be understood that someone was likely given notes on how to change the poster to what the distributor wanted.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

gmq posted:

What bugs me is her list on the poster implies the movie is based on that girl's hookup list that made the rounds on the Internet a few years ago. Which is not only a dumb thing to base a movie on but also means Aubrey Plaza has starred in two separate movies about wacky images on the Internet.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Vagabundo posted:

Racism/Sexism implies a malicious intent because of that person's race/sex.

I've seen similar things done to an all white cast when there is a more well known actor being showcased, regardless of their race/sex.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I think some posters are missing the point that this would be less of an issue if the film were about a group of teenage hackers or a wacky wedding and not the racism and bigotry faced by the 4 lead characters who were defocused into a background blur so that a Caucasian actor could take prominence.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Dexo posted:

I've seen similar things done to an all white cast when there is a more well known actor being showcased, regardless of their race/sex.

I understand your point because I've argued here before that sometimes Hollywood is just lazy.

However, we're talking about Chris O'Dowd here. Chris O'Dowd is nobody. Like seriously. And this is also a movie where there isn't a big enough actor to center on the cover. We've mentioned Bridesmaids because O'Dowd was in it. Bridesmaids didn't even have Kristen Wiig's name on most of the posters. It had no names because nobody was really a big enough star to do so. And that's the movie we're trying to argue is why it's perfectly fine to center Chris O'Dowd on. No wonder he's also denounced the poster.

Hell I finally found a DVD cover that lists the actors in Bridesmaids... and it only lists the women. No O'Dowd. Hell not even a mention for Jon Hamm on the cover.

I don't see this being Hollywood lazy or trying to showcase the main actor. Someone specifically requested the women in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Dexo posted:

No it doesn't, people can do racist things and be completely oblivious to how offensive they're being.

Have you not met many old people?