Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Whoever said 1,000 Words was the best FF ballad was correct. This scene never fails to make me super emotional. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Winks posted:

It's outright called the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythology, so while details can change the overriding mythos of the thing is likely very similar.

Yeah but all that means is that it's using Etro and the other gods in it. They can literally go any way they want to with it.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Etro, Bhunivelze, Lindsey, Pulse, and whoever else will just be the product of the boyband crew making up stupid poo poo to pass the time during long road trips.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

PhilippAchtel posted:

The idea that X had a simple battle system that could be beaten by mashing the x button is beyond absurd. X put the time actions took front and center. Other games had bigger spells/techniques take more time, but X made it obvious how using this or that action affected the queue, and really made you think about balancing cost and benefits when it came to time. It still stands as the absolute best incarnation of the ATB system Square has developed.

X doesn't have the ATB system at all, but X-2 has the best incarnation of the ATB system Square ever developed. X is the one and only instance of the Conditional Turn-based Battle system. Mega Man X Command Mission ripped it off fairly wholesale, in case you're ever bored and masochistic and want something new that handles that way. But really, you probably should forget that I mentioned it, only tears lie that way.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
There was that weird LotR RPG that could pretty much pass as a FFX reskin.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AzraelNewtype posted:

X doesn't have the ATB system at all, but X-2 has the best incarnation of the ATB system Square ever developed. X is the one and only instance of the Conditional Turn-based Battle system. Mega Man X Command Mission ripped it off fairly wholesale, in case you're ever bored and masochistic and want something new that handles that way. But really, you probably should forget that I mentioned it, only tears lie that way.

Hey. There's also Lord of the Rings: The Third Age, which is much worse than Command Mission in every way.

Edit: Except for the fact that you literally punch the flaming eye of Sauron. That poo poo is hilarious.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Hey. There's also Lord of the Rings: The Third Age, which is much worse than Command Mission in every way.

Edit: Except for the fact that you literally punch the flaming eye of Sauron. That poo poo is hilarious.

The Third Age never asked if I believed a robot could cry. Actually, no, I think you're still right.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pureauthor posted:

There was that weird LotR RPG that could pretty much pass as a FFX reskin.

I played like an hour of this and it seemed kind of fun, but amazingly bland and derivative. I don't think it's possible for anybody to make a Tolkien anything that isn't, since pretty much every other fantasy franchise is somehow derived from him as well.

X really does have the best combat system of the post-IX, post-ATB games though. Keeping in mind that I'm a big stinking Ivalice fanboy and that I thought the combat in XIII was the only fun part.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

Whoever said 1,000 Words was the best FF ballad was correct. This scene never fails to make me super emotional. :(

That would be me.

It helps that the scene itself, with Shuyin and Lenne, is exceptionally well-done.

Apparently the English singer is some German lady I think? She's popular in Japan. She did a great job.

Japan loves their Euro pop babes. At least from what I can tell as a fan of Sandra. (German Eurodisco singer from the 80s)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That's pretty faint praise. What's its competition, Eyes on Me?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

That, Melodies of Life, Suteki Da Ne, Kiss Me Goodbye, whatever the XIII song is that I don't care about and which wasn't included in the English version.

For me it is great praise because I still remember when I first beat FFIX all those years ago. Melodies of Life has held a special place in my heart ever since.

Although none of these songs hold a candle to "Small Two of Pieces" in Xenogears. loving love that song...love that ending.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 5, 2013

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

AzraelNewtype posted:

What's wrong with it, is it a dumb story or something to do with the gameplay? Just curious...

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Defiance Industries posted:

Melodies of Life, which is still a really solid #2 and also just a great song.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Level Slide posted:

Etro, Bhunivelze, Lindsey, Pulse, and whoever else will just be the product of the boyband crew making up stupid poo poo to pass the time during long road trips.

Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 are revealed to be the result of a drunken round-robin storytelling competition one night on the airship. The destruction of all time and space happened when they passed out and forgot everything by the morning. Lightning Returns is a dream Noct had that night, which is why so many of its design decisions were made by a horny teenage boy.

Later in the game, you cross paths with Orte, the dumb, self-destructive ex of one of the heroes.

(FFXIV Original was the hangover)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tempo 119 posted:

What's wrong with it, is it a dumb story or something to do with the gameplay? Just curious...

The combat system is okay but is a much less polished than FFX. One of the big gimmicks is that each character has a "super mode" they can transform into which boosts their abilities and sometimes unlocks new moves, but the balance is all out of wack on these. Some of the characters are insanely powerful while others are near-worthless. X and Zero in particular unlock new extra super modes which far outstrip anything else anyone can do. It tries to do the FFX "you can switch in and out" gimmick but, like the super modes, some stuff is just way more useful. Zero, X and Axl tend to be just plain better than the game's original characters, except for maybe the thief whose Quicksilver super mode means she gets roughly a billion turns in a row. There are some cool things, like each character having their own "Action Trigger" for doing special moves, but they're as mentioned unfairly weighted towards X/Zero/Axl. It makes battles boring because it has the framework of something like FFX but all you're doing is having X, Zero and Axl wreck everything.

The dungeons are fairly boring and the plot is incredibly stupid. It makes it hard to want to do things because seriously, the level design is just boring and ugly and some of the plot twists are amazingly stupid. Did you know the guy named Redips secretly the guy named Spider?!

It's not a terrible RPG but it's mostly bland and mediocre with a combat system that occasionally rises above the rest.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 6, 2013

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
FFX is personally my favorite FF. Probably mostly because it was my first one, but also the one I had most fun playing. The battle system made it so I could relax more throughout the game without much pressure and the story/characters/atmosphere/whatever sucked me in the most for some reason. It felt most like an actual journey out of the FF's I've played, especially since most characters get an equal amount usefulness and interact most with each other.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

AzraelNewtype posted:

I thought it was referred to in game by that name, but perhaps not.

In any case, it was the best method of arranging turns and actions.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I can't remember if this was ever outright stated, but I enjoy the implication that the real person that Tidus was based on, in the dream of the Fayth, was just some soldier who was supremely pissed that they basically used his summoner girlfriend as cannon-fodder in the Bevelle vs. Zanarkand war.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Final Fantasy should just ape the Grandia system, Game Arts isn't using it anymore.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Mazed posted:

I can't remember if this was ever outright stated, but I enjoy the implication that the real person that Tidus was based on, in the dream of the Fayth, was just some soldier who was supremely pissed that they basically used his summoner girlfriend as cannon-fodder in the Bevelle vs. Zanarkand war.

That's what X-2 basically states given the Shuyin-Tidus and Yuna-Lenne connection.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

PhilippAchtel posted:

I thought it was referred to in game by that name, but perhaps not.

In any case, it was the best method of arranging turns and actions.

It was a pretty good system, but it was straight turn based. There wasn't any "Active" to justify the ATB. It was actually pretty close to the Final Fantasy Tactics system, at least when it came to turn order. I'm not sure why they decided to go full turn based with that particular entry, especially since they dumped it so fast with the sequel and every subsequent entry.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Final Fantasy Tactics was very fun to play and I'm disappointed that SE never went back to that well for one of the blockbuster FF titles. It doesn't have to have that 3D isometric view, but I really liked how terrain and positioning mattered a whole lot in combat. Plus you could have a lot more characters in combat than is usual for a FF game.

Like imagine doing a major boss fight except all your characters are available and you can utilize actual strategy to win fights instead of mashing buttons. I'm imagining something a bit like Mass Effect's multiplayer mode, but with more swords, more teammates, and bigger maps.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

1st AD posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics was very fun to play and I'm disappointed that SE never went back to that well for one of the blockbuster FF titles. It doesn't have to have that 3D isometric view, but I really liked how terrain and positioning mattered a whole lot in combat. Plus you could have a lot more characters in combat than is usual for a FF game.

Like imagine doing a major boss fight except all your characters are available and you can utilize actual strategy to win fights instead of mashing buttons. I'm imagining something a bit like Mass Effect's multiplayer mode, but with more swords, more teammates, and bigger maps.

Not really sure how you made the jump from SRPG to third person shooter, but hey! Kingdom Hearts FFXV's probably got you covered!

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Krad posted:

Not really sure how you made the jump from SRPG to third person shooter, but hey! Kingdom Hearts FFXV's probably got you covered!
Valkyria Chronicles. :colbert:

:smith:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
It's too bad that's a PS3 exclusive because the days of me owning a game console are probably over. The only JRPG's I've played have been on the 360 and PC, and now my 360 is toast.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

1st AD posted:

It's too bad that's a PS3 exclusive because the days of me owning a game console are probably over. The only JRPG's I've played have been on the 360 and PC, and now my 360 is toast.

Then get XCOM, it's Valkyria Chronicles minus the anime.

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012
Another RPG that has the FFX battle system: Radiant Historia for the DS, with a bit of positioning stuff thrown in as well. Surprisingly great game, interesting battle system with the exception that one character is demonstrably better than all of the others.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Evolution and its sequel did FFX's battle system first AND made positioning and formations actually matter! Plus you didn't have big whiny babies like Tidus or Kimahri, you had thievestreasure hunters with names like Chain Gun and Gre Nade. :black101:

Nobody played Evolution. :negative:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I played Evolution, but I'd say the battle system wasn't that similar to FFX. But it was still great.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Looper posted:

Evolution and its sequel did FFX's battle system first AND made positioning and formations actually matter! Plus you didn't have big whiny babies like Tidus or Kimahri, you had thievestreasure hunters with names like Chain Gun and Gre Nade. :black101:

It was a real bad game and somehow got a sequel out in the DC's 16 month lifespan. Randomized dungeons with no flavor, no solid incentive structures, and non-existent plot. I really, really just wanted some JRPGs on the DC but lord that was not it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Looper posted:

I played Evolution. It just... wasn't very good. I really wanted to like it too. I don't think it's that bad (except I hate the hell out of the protagonist and Linear) but it was firmly mediocre. :smith:

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 6, 2013

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Barudak posted:

I really, really just wanted some JRPGs on the DC but lord that was not it.
Switch the D for a G and this was my exact experience with Evolution Worlds.

(that said, I'd be infinitely grateful if someone could link me to the cutscene where something bad happens to Linear - kidnapped by villain in giant robot, I think? - and Mag responds by just screaming "LINEARRRRRRRR", since my friends and I have been making awful algebra jokes with it forever.)

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
The Evolution games are goddamn terrible. Ugh.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Switch the D for a G and this was my exact experience with Evolution Worlds.

Ever played Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean?

First GC JRPG I played and a big reason I spent a whopping $35 to get a GC in the first place. Totally worth it in my view.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

NikkolasKing posted:

Ever played Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean?

First GC JRPG I played and a big reason I spent a whopping $35 to get a GC in the first place. Totally worth it in my view.
It was really good! I also enjoyed both of the Long Kingdoms a shitload, like to the extent that I would put them both in a top 10 GC games list, and had reasonable amounts of fun with Skies of Arcadia, Tales of Symphonia, FF Crystal Chronicles, and even LotR:TTA (the one that was just FFX)

...but man, I was like 14, what do you want from me :(

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

DACK FAYDEN posted:

FF Crystal Chronicles

Did someone ever get to play with multiple players? It was a great game, but the cost of setting up a multiplayer game was ridiculously high, specially for 4 players. Must've been nice to make that Firaga+2...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Veks posted:

Did someone ever get to play with multiple players? It was a great game, but the cost of setting up a multiplayer game was ridiculously high, specially for 4 players. Must've been nice to make that Firaga+2...
Two players, one time. It required my cousin to bring his GBA connector cable from the other side of the country just to be my lantern bitch. I still have it somewhere, since he forgot it. I can play that and Four Swords Adventure!

In fairness, FSA was super fun if you had multiple people - the "go into a cave and see it on your GBA screen" mechanic worked out really well, is the first thing that leaps to mind.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Veks posted:

Yes. Absolutely yes. We were in boarding school--and it was one of those restrictive, be-the-gently caress-on-time ones, so it's not like we could just disappear at our leisure--so we had a pretty captive playerbase. We had four players all the way from character creation to the final boss, and yes, it's fuckin' ballin.

We played the poo poo out of it, obviously. We all had every Magic Ring (except Life which only I had because I had class seniority and we weren't gonna ace-score that swamp more than once since it takes like a fuckin' hour to do), we had all our best equipment, and we had most of the (other, much shittier and less notable than Magic Rings) Artifacts.

Firaga +2 blows, by the way. You have to put way too much effort into the timing for the minimal extra damage you get from the +2. We were a pretty great team, though, and could pull off pretty much everything but Haste and the +tier spells 99% of the time. What I wouldn't give for Dolphin to be compatible with its multiplayer without Hamachi shenanigans. I mean, 4p FFCC was great with just the pizza in high school, but imagine if you added beer and weed to that equation :v:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Aug 6, 2013

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I - once - managed to get four people for crystal chronicles. It was glooorious. Never happened again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009
I managed to get three friends and myself together on enough occasions to do a 4-player run of the entirety of Crystal Chronicles (we beat the final boss a day or two before one guy was moving out of town). Granted, we used a FAQ to solve puzzles and find sidequests that we had no patience to do legit, and I hated the blacksmith/equipment upgrade system, but overall it was a total blast. Completely worth the effort.

We never had a real problem with bucket duty either, since we'd just give it to whoever got the map that round. Carrying the bucket's less of a pain when you're also the guy that everyone's following anyway.