Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tzar
Jun 9, 2005

Dammit DeeDee, you've failed me for the last time!
Hey guys, does anyone else hate PRISM? Let me introduce you to Rapp It Up, the tinfoil hat for your phone! Not only does it stop identity theft, it also stops that evil government from spying on you (until you inevitably remove the phone from it's insulated bag to place a call or receive text messages, which would of course still be intercepted).

Not only does it protect you, but it also extends your phone's battery life, because we all know how phones use less battery when they're in an area with bad reception.

With eleven days left out of sixty, the project needs just a bit over $22k more, so open those tinfoil wallets and let's abolish flight mode* forever!

* Flight mode? More like PRISM-mode! :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Tzar posted:

Hey guys, does anyone else hate PRISM? Let me introduce you to Rapp It Up, the tinfoil hat for your phone! Not only does it stop identity theft, it also stops that evil government from spying on you (until you inevitably remove the phone from it's insulated bag to place a call or receive text messages, which would of course still be intercepted).

Not only does it protect you, but it also extends your phone's battery life, because we all know how phones use less battery when they're in an area with bad reception.

With eleven days left out of sixty, the project needs just a bit over $22k more, so open those tinfoil wallets and let's abolish flight mode* forever!

I think I know how to pay for all the things I need for my own future Kickstarter project and my own current "We Need Premium Cable" project. I'm going to make a "Birth Certificate Authentication" thing for the iPhone. Its just always going to say false.

Play to your audience!

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Tzar posted:

Rapp It Up

So wait, I buy a phone to allow people to get in contact with me remotely, then I put it in a bag that prevents them from contacting me remotely? Can I buy a boot for my car too?

If you don't want people to track you, leave your phone at home or don't buy a phone. They will still track you with imaging satellites anyway, so what is the point?

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Exmond posted:

I really dislike the Erik Chevalier guy (Doom that came to atlantic city). He is starting to do refunds but in the comments section he blames backers for getting the press involved.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forkingpath/the-doom-that-came-to-atlantic-city/posts/555128#comments

That's crazy though. Apparantly Cryptozoic Entertainment and the original creators are going to release the game to all backers for free. How much does it cost to start a business though? I thought it was at most maybe 10k including lawyer fees, that still leaves you a generous 70k for the game and game alone when you factor in kickstarter's cut and rewards

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

OrganizedInsanity posted:

That's crazy though. Apparantly Cryptozoic Entertainment and the original creators are going to release the game to all backers for free. How much does it cost to start a business though? I thought it was at most maybe 10k including lawyer fees, that still leaves you a generous 70k for the game and game alone when you factor in kickstarter's cut and rewards

He used it to fund a move to the pacific northwest as well, and is supposedly notorious for taking money for a project and spending it on himself. Guy is a con man.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2010618696/dkss-reality-death-maze?ref=category

Reading the page and looking at their deviantart, I was convinced this had to be some kid's first project. Of course I wouldn't post it if it was. The guy in the pitch video looks old enough to be my father.

Keep watching for the "hilarious" death animation!

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

the Gaffe posted:

Please give us $400,000 to dress in bad cosplay, and then film it. Final Fantasy VII the web series.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ffviiwebseries/final-fantasy-vii-the-web-series-unofficial-fan-pr

"Now defunct kickstarter page" posted:

What is your status with Square Enix?
The team is very familiar with how Square Enix has dealt with fan projects in the past and has taken every step to avoid becoming a statistic. Several steps have been taken so far to give us the best possible chance of success.

- We have sent several letters and emails to many departments of SE which we know have been received and read. Square's general legal counsel has been aware of this project for many months.
- We have engaged in persistent dialog with the manager of SE online, who assured us that both the North American and European divisions were supportive of our efforts.
- We have had the series trailer actually appear on the SE website.
- We have acquired the music rights via a surrogate agency that gives us licensing permission with specific legal caveats.

JUST KIDDING YA ALL WE AINT DONE poo poo

Unsurprisingly the kickstarter has been shutdown due to copyright issues

Exmond has a new favorite as of 16:46 on Aug 2, 2013

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

OatmealRaisin posted:

He used it to fund a move to the pacific northwest as well, and is supposedly notorious for taking money for a project and spending it on himself. Guy is a con man.

Wow. It's a weird thing paradox with Kickstarters though, the people who end up responding and admitting the project failed get this much negative press while people like those idiots who kickstarted the smart glasses can simply say they're not obligated to give refunds and get off scott free.

Kickstarter's seriously looking like its setting itself up for some million dollar lawsuit.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2010618696/dkss-reality-death-maze?ref=category

Reading the page and looking at their deviantart, I was convinced this had to be some kid's first project. Of course I wouldn't post it if it was. The guy in the pitch video looks old enough to be my father.

EASY
HARD
EXETREME

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

How much does it cost to start a business though? I thought it was at most maybe 10k including lawyer fees, that still leaves you a generous 70k for the game and game alone when you factor in kickstarter's cut and rewards

To start a business, you announce "I am starting a business called [NAME OF BUSINESS]." You can say this to yourself or out loud because it doesn't matter if anyone hears you. To make it seem legit you go to a bank, make a minimum deposit of perhaps $100 or $200 and get checks that have [NAME OF BUSINESS] on them. That's about as far as the vast majority of businesses go. If you ever make a profit, you might actually have to pay taxes and this involves a little paperwork, something you can probably handle yourself if you have the brains to make a profit and because you're a small business, it's all tangled up in your personal taxes and the IRS has a system to deal with this because millions of people every year decide to start a business - it's set up so that you don't need a college degree to figure it out. That accounting software like "quickbooks" or whatever, this is what that is for.

Once you start involving employees, withholding taxes, etc. you might want to get a lawyer or accountant involved because "quickbooks" will only take you so far (but you'd be surprised how far it will take you) and this will likely cost maybe a couple thousand. But a kickstarter for $80,000 is nothing, and if they are budgeting $10k for setting the company up, that's $9.5k of pure profit.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Wow. It's a weird thing paradox with Kickstarters though, the people who end up responding and admitting the project failed get this much negative press while people like those idiots who kickstarted the smart glasses can simply say they're not obligated to give refunds and get off scott free.

Kickstarter's seriously looking like its setting itself up for some million dollar lawsuit.

It's one thing to come out and say the project failed, it's another entirely to say "I took all your money and spent it on myself instead of the game. Oh, did I not mention that in my pitch? It was always the intention!"

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Here is an arguably good Kickstarter currently not on course to meet its goal. Harkens me back to when finding funny flash animations was the height of the internet achievement.

Animator vs. Animation 4

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

OatmealRaisin posted:

It's one thing to come out and say the project failed, it's another entirely to say "I took all your money and spent it on myself instead of the game. Oh, did I not mention that in my pitch? It was always the intention!"

No I get that but it is sort of annoying that chances are if he just stopped updating and never responded to emails ever again, there would have been less fallout then what it is now. Then again, from what I can gather, this was his intention until the two creators sued him to force him to reveal what he had done.

I mean, there's something to be said about investors micromanaging a startup to the point of failure because its their money, but the opposite seems even worse

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

This is like a Tim and Eric skit, I think I've seen that guy on their show before.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

To become an LLC, which protects your rear end, it costs around $140 for an authorized certificate of establishment from the State Secretary. That is what I did because I live in Delaware and our tax laws are amazing- Delaware spread its legs to corporations which is something I don't know too much about or am inclined to speak on.

However, I do know a lawyer wanted $500 not covering fees, for a paper I did myself and had looked over by my small business turned very successful business uncle so becoming a legal entity can be cheap or expensive.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

He says this is a third person game but all his footage as well as concept art are from the first person view. I'll be damned if I get cheated out of constantly seeing these statuesque visages for the entirety of the playthrough:

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Seeing how the game was supposed to be able to be produced for $35k, this is a scam through and through. He's playing the victim card pretty hard - claiming that an investigation would limit him in being able to process refunds.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Rapdawg posted:

To become an LLC, which protects your rear end, it costs around $140 for an authorized certificate of establishment from the State Secretary. That is what I did because I live in Delaware and our tax laws are amazing- Delaware spread its legs to corporations which is something I don't know too much about or am inclined to speak on.

For LLCs in Massachusetts, it's $500 registration fee and a $500 annual fee to file a mandatory annual report.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

AlbieQuirky posted:

For LLCs in Massachusetts, it's $500 registration fee and a $500 annual fee to file a mandatory annual report.

Yeah, Delaware may be a bit different but there is a stack of papers I'm going through to make sure I don't accidentally ruin my credit or forget to pay taxes. The only thing that sucks is even if I make $0.00 I still have to play a flat $250 each year.

Nice thing is PNC offers free business accounts, but I've not done a lot of research into them yet. Oh, that's actually what I'm about to do.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Tzar posted:

I haven't watched the pitch video please tell me someone in a backwards cap comes out and goes

"Prism mode is more like prison mode, Wrap wrap rap it up with Rapp!"

It's like this project has been dormant since the 90s and he was just waiting for a website to come along and give you free money

Alan Smithee has a new favorite as of 05:25 on Aug 3, 2013

semiavrage
Apr 28, 2007

I'll show them... I'll show ALL of them...

This is a joke right? This is definitely a joke. That being said, someone pledged 1000 dollars. Think about that for a second.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

semiavrage posted:

This is a joke right? This is definitely a joke. That being said, someone pledged 1000 dollars. Think about that for a second.

Can you pledge money to your own project?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Can you pledge money to your own project?

You can, but Amazon will poo poo itself when the project ends and won't forward any of the money to your account.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

And that's why you OJ the money to someone else

Butts McGee
Aug 17, 2012
Not sure if this has been posted, but it's something. Watch the video for the full experience.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Butts McGee posted:

Not sure if this has been posted, but it's something. Watch the video for the full experience.

It was, but it's entertaining enough that it's worth seeing again.

....that gyrating monkey.....

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Butts McGee posted:

The fact that this guy makes anything other than meth is impressive.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

While Shadow of the Eternals was mentioned before a number of pages back (they cancelled because yeah they ain't getting 1.35m), it appears that Dyack isn't going to let this dead horse lie. So now we have Shadow of the Eternals... redux. Now with less pedophiles, who apparently had a salary of $600,000? Either that or they made that much from their own crowdfunding attempt on their site. (I kind of doubt this, however.)

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

No, YOU are.

Misplaced Yankee posted:

Anyone else kinda sad to see the robot spider kick starter probably going to fail? At 12 days and under 100k I don't think I'm going to be struggling with a robot kit any time soon.:saddowns:

Jaimie has brought his giant spider robot down from the mountain. On his BACK. The robot will be taking it's maiden stomp this Tuesday, August 6, in some poor, hapless farmer's field.

I hope he films it and promotes the hell out of it. It may well be his Kickstarter's salvation. I surely hope so, because I would very much like having one of his robots with the unique vanguard armor and crane.

I intend to paint it with blue glow in the dark paint. :buddy:

gimmee gimmee gimmee gimmee

Chunjee posted:

Here is an arguably good Kickstarter currently not on course to meet its goal. Harkens me back to when finding funny flash animations was the height of the internet achievement.

[/url]

This looks cool. I like his work. I dropped 5 on it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Elissia posted:

While Shadow of the Eternals was mentioned before a number of pages back (they cancelled because yeah they ain't getting 1.35m), it appears that Dyack isn't going to let this dead horse lie. So now we have Shadow of the Eternals... redux. Now with less pedophiles, who apparently had a salary of $600,000? Either that or they made that much from their own crowdfunding attempt on their site. (I kind of doubt this, however.)
I'm amazed they haven't done the homepage Not Kickstarter crowdfunding route.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm amazed they haven't done the homepage Not Kickstarter crowdfunding route.

They did. They literally did this before going to Kickstarter originally. It even had a shitload of really, really concerning legalese that effectively said "we can keep the money" and other worrying details that got pulled after someone SANE looked at it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Syrg Sapphire posted:

They did. They literally did this before going to Kickstarter originally. It even had a shitload of really, really concerning legalese that effectively said "we can keep the money" and other worrying details that got pulled after someone SANE looked at it.

Ugh I'm too drat old, it's all blending together

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just what we all needed - a way to stop people tracking us via our mobile phones, for a mere $85!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/offpocket/off-pocket?ref=home_spotlight

Alternatively, you could use the Off button.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Jedit posted:

Just what we all needed - a way to stop people tracking us via our mobile phones, for a mere $85!

Uh, how many of these are on Kickstarter??

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Jedit posted:

What if the FBI can remotely turn your phone back on? :tinfoil:

I'm loving the anti-infrared hijab. Because that's gonna be really comfortable.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Jedit posted:

Why are all of their rewards anti-drone camouflage? :tinfoil:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

wa27 posted:

Uh, how many of these are on Kickstarter??

I don't know, but this one was on the front page and had a Staff Recommended badge so it deserves increased mockery.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Jedit posted:

I don't know, but this one was on the front page and had a Staff Recommended badge so it deserves increased mockery.

Oh wow, I didn't notice it just started and has a ton of money raised. I bet the Rapp it up guys are kicking themselves for not making better infographics and using iphones in their pictures.

And the minimum reward to get one is $75? That's twice as much as the Rapp It Up!

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

What if the FBI can remotely turn your phone back on? :tinfoil:

I'm loving the anti-infrared hijab. Because that's gonna be really comfortable.

I love this thing:

Protect your smartphone privacy by sticking out in public. Seeing out of it must suck, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Ville Valo posted:

Why are all of their rewards anti-drone camouflage? :tinfoil:

It started as an art/fashion/political project a couple of years ago IIRC (I remember reading about the launch). Basically they're selling a message as well as a product.

EDIT: The Burqa is nothing to do with your phone, it is civilian clothing designed for reducing infrared signatures. It's a statement about the ongoing civilian casualties thanks to indiscriminate drone strikes in foreign countries.

ReelBigLizard has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Aug 6, 2013