Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
At around $300, is there really a reason other than form factor to go with a NUC rather than something like a refurb i3 or i5 laptop? I nabbed an i5 Lenovo IdeaPad U510 from their outlet store about a month ago for the wife for $320. From a pure price perspective, it seems like a pretty solid win vs a NUC since it came with 4GB RAM and a who cares how large hard drive, as well as a Win8 license.

Since picking that up, I've been toying with the idea of getting a 2nd one (or another laptop with comparible specs that I can find cheap) for use as an XBMC client. I think that should be the same GPU, better CPU, and should still be fairly low power since it is a laptop.

What am I missing here - specifically with a mind to use XBMC on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

tk posted:

I got an NUC to replace my twice dead AD12 (specifically this one). I'm currently using it to run openelec off a USB stick, so I can't comment on most of your needs, but for XBMC @ 1080p it's fantastic.

Good to hear that it can run OpenELEC without issue. Thanks for the confirmation.

tk posted:

I've only had it for maybe 2 weeks, so I can't comment much on reliability, but I can say that it feels like a much more solid product than the AD12. It's so far been silent, but all I'm using it for is to stream video.

Also good to hear that it's really quiet because that's what I'm used to with the AppleTV.

tk posted:

On the downside, it doesn't have built-in IR, so I have a Flirc on the way, and we'll see how that goes. It comes with the external power supply, but not the cord to connect it to the wall, which is... odd.

I have a USB-UIRT from a while back that I never ended up using so I'm going to give that a go.

I read about the fact that it doesn't come with the power cord which is really confusing. From the pictures it doesn't even look like it's a standard IEC power cord either... it's one of those odd three-circles cables (which I probably have lying around somewhere anyway...)

tk posted:

Edit: Forgot, it takes an mSATA drive, not an SSD, which can easily make the already pricey box even more expensive.

That's the one thing that's putting me over my budget. I guess I can stave off getting an mSATA drive until I'm certain that I want to move forward with the device for running emulators. From the reviews, it looks like emu shouldn't be a problem (which is really my main goal... steam games would just be a nicety to have).

Thanks for the quick review!

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bucket Joneses posted:

I lost the jailbreak on my AppleTV2 so I want to move on to a device that won't lock me out of running XBMC.

Bearing that in mind, I've been looking at various Zotac Zboxes (mostly the i5 ID89) but was also wondering if there are any pre-built boxes that have blu-ray drives built into them? If not, what is the most suggested route for building a small form factor HTPC that can do the following:

-Blu-ray capable
-XBMC w/ output at 720p (1080p would be nice but not necessary)
-Emulators for NES/SNES/Genesis/MAME/PSX
-Able to play Counter-Strike and other comparable Steam titles

My budget for this is about $500.
Blu-ray's going to eat into that budget. You're looking at about $100 for the blu-ray software*, and you'll probably also end up having to buy separate blu-ray decryption software (another $100 or so) when your software player decides that some random combination of your monitor/OS/video card/drivers are intended for piracy and drops its output to 480p just in case.

*And the same again in a couple of years when a new version of the software comes out and they stop updating your version so you can't watch new blu-rays on it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

g0del posted:

Blu-ray's going to eat into that budget. You're looking at about $100 for the blu-ray software*, and you'll probably also end up having to buy separate blu-ray decryption software (another $100 or so) when your software player decides that some random combination of your monitor/OS/video card/drivers are intended for piracy and drops its output to 480p just in case.

*And the same again in a couple of years when a new version of the software comes out and they stop updating your version so you can't watch new blu-rays on it.

Holy poo poo is that how blu-ray works on non-settop boxes? What a loving joke.

I just thought it'd be nice to be able to play a new movie every once in a while but not if I have to worry about poo poo like that. Maybe I'll just downgrade the requirement to "able to play dvds" instead since that's usually what we check out from the library anyway.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

g0del posted:

This is sadly exactly true. Not to mention the cost for the drive.

Take the money, buy a couple of large hard drives and make your blu-ray's into MKVs.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've been using MyMovies as to catalogue all my movies/TV shows on my HTPC which has been rather manually intensive.

A mate told me about Plex today and it sounds pretty incredible. He also told me about XBMC (which I had heard of before, but always avoided it due to the "XB" thinking it was for the poor mans media centre).

Can someone do a quick summary of the pros and cons of each of these? I'm not sure which I want to use.

My main wants/needs/questions:

-Which is the prettiest by default (not overly interested in spending a bunch of time getting skins)
-Which has the more comprehensive metadata library?
-Which integrates best with a Nexus 4 phone/tablet.
-Do they both have the ability to play media from another PC on the network? i.e Can they catalog and play media on my desktop PC directly to the HTPC?
-My mate told me about the "sync files to play offline on your tablet" feature of plex. Does XBMC have this?
-Do either of these deal with music or is it just movies/TV?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

UndyingShadow posted:

Take the money, buy a couple of large hard drives and make your blu-ray's into MKVs.
This. Get MakeMKV (free while it's in beta, eventually it'll be $50) and rip your blu-rays. Then you can use XBMC or another nice front-end and forget about all the stupid anti-piracy garbage that they've stuffed into blu-ray.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Fancy_Lad posted:

At around $300, is there really a reason other than form factor to go with a NUC rather than something like a refurb i3 or i5 laptop? I nabbed an i5 Lenovo IdeaPad U510 from their outlet store about a month ago for the wife for $320. From a pure price perspective, it seems like a pretty solid win vs a NUC since it came with 4GB RAM and a who cares how large hard drive, as well as a Win8 license.

Since picking that up, I've been toying with the idea of getting a 2nd one (or another laptop with comparible specs that I can find cheap) for use as an XBMC client. I think that should be the same GPU, better CPU, and should still be fairly low power since it is a laptop.

What am I missing here - specifically with a mind to use XBMC on it?

I don't think you're missing anything big. If you're interested in some extra-XBMC functionality (Netflix, emulators, etc.) the laptop is going to be most cost effective. The NUC has a definite advantage in form factor, which is pretty important to me. Probably has an acoustics advantage as well, but I guess that depends on the laptop.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The size and noise factor are the big ones for me. The space I have doesn't really accommodate a laptop and it would just end up looking janky and terrible.

I am conflicted with the fact that a built NUC will cost about the same as a Mac Mini, though...

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Bucket Joneses posted:

Alternatively, is anyone using a NUC for an HTPC? I thought I saw them mentioned earlier in the thread but I'm not sure what the verdict ended up being.

Like tk, I found the NUC a bit pricey, but I do enjoy it immensely now I have it. Ran it for three-four weeks as openelec on the SSD, but wanted to play emulators, so I installed xbmcbuntu instead. If you're happy with just openelec, it boots really quick from a USB stick, so you can hold off on the SSD purchase.

I bought a wired XBMC controller. Works just dandy for launching mupen64plus and zsnes from xbmc via the Advanced Launcher addon. Gonna get a second controller for the gf, and install mednafen and VICE next. Conflicted as to getting wired vs wireless controller. Hate cables on the floor, but I read that the wireless ones have problems synchronizing, and don't shut off automatically under Linux.

As for games, I have the i3 version. Didn't try Counterstrike, but it might work, I guess ... The HD4000 GPU is not really built for 3d performance. Portal 1 starts and plays decently through Steam, but there are a few glitches where you can see through doors etc, so I guess the drivers are not perfect yet. You might have better luck in Windows, maybe?

It makes some noise when doing 3D, but during movies and oldtimey games, it's more or less silent.

Edit: This controller right here.
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/xbox-360-controller-for-windows
If you buy wireless, make sure you get the one that includes the USB receiver. They don't use bluetooth.
If you get some other controller that uses bluetooth, get an internal mini-PCIe wifi/bluetooth card, saves you a USB port and you'd get better reception with the builti-in antenna, I bet.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 2, 2013

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Like tk, I found the NUC a bit pricey, but I do enjoy it immensely now I have it. Ran it for three-four weeks as openelec on the SSD, but wanted to play emulators, so I installed xbmcbuntu instead. Bought a wired XBMC controller. Works just dandy for launching mupen64plus and zsnes from xbmc via the Advanced Launcher addon. Gonna get a second controller for the gf, and install mednafen and VICE next.

I have the i3 version. Didn't try Counterstrike, but it might work, I guess ... The HD4000 GPU is not really built for 3d performance. Portal 1 starts and plays decently through Steam, but there are a few glitches where you can see through doors etc, so I guess the drivers are not perfect yet. You might have better luck in Windows, maybe?

It makes some noise when doing 3D, but during movies and oldtimey games, it's more or less silent.

Which controller did you buy? I was hoping to use a USB bluetooth dongle and go wireless for the controllers.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

Bucket Joneses posted:

Alternatively, is anyone using a NUC for an HTPC? I thought I saw them mentioned earlier in the thread but I'm not sure what the verdict ended up being.

Yep, I've been running one for a while on openelec
Only had one issue, which was the msata ssd disappearing. The box then failed to boot until i pulled the power cord and plugged it back in again.
After some googling it seemed that the heat management stuff wasn't working properly so the fix was to up the idle fan speed in the bios, no problems since I made that change and i still can't hear the fan when it's running.

i ran an arctic MC001 before the nuc and the menus are a lot snappier now.

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

g0del posted:

This. Get MakeMKV (free while it's in beta, eventually it'll be $50) and rip your blu-rays. Then you can use XBMC or another nice front-end and forget about all the stupid anti-piracy garbage that they've stuffed into blu-ray.

MakeMKV is the single best software purchase I have ever made. I suggest all of you shell out for it. I have yet to find something it won't rip and dump into a perfect no mess .mkv file.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Does anyone have a good solution for watching HBO Go through either Steam Big Picture Mode or XBMC? It's a bit annoying to have to switch back to the keyboard and type in the address.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

SnatchRabbit posted:

Does anyone have a good solution for watching HBO Go through either Steam Big Picture Mode or XBMC? It's a bit annoying to have to switch back to the keyboard and type in the address.

Check in the XBMC thread, I don't think there's any sort of decent method of doing this other than try and launch the website from an .exe or batch script however. There are ones for other channels, and I'm sure HBO Go is on the horizon, but not quite there yet.

XBMC Thread

Free Cable Add-On

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima
Is there an option to cause Plex to automatically pause when another windows is active? It would be nice if I could just exit out to media center without having to pause playback first.

I suppose another option would be to bind the remote's "Windows" button into Alt-Tab instead of having it open up Media Center. Otherwise it becomes pretty upsetting when multiple audio sources are playing at one time.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Has anyone here tried the "Wireless Xbox 360 Controller for Windows(TM)" with Linux?
I'm using the wired one with xbmcbuntu, and it works perfectly, just plug-and-play. Now, I want to add a second one, so I figured I'd make it a wireless one, and it could act as my main remote in xbmc. However, posts like this one makes it look like the controller can't be manually turned off, save by popping the batteries out.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=130491

That would be really annoying to me - ideally I'd want it to power down when I hold down the big middle button ("Guide"), like on an xbox.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Has anyone here tried the "Wireless Xbox 360 Controller for Windows(TM)" with Linux?
I'm using the wired one with xbmcbuntu, and it works perfectly, just plug-and-play. Now, I want to add a second one, so I figured I'd make it a wireless one, and it could act as my main remote in xbmc. However, posts like this one makes it look like the controller can't be manually turned off, save by popping the batteries out.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=130491

That would be really annoying to me - ideally I'd want it to power down when I hold down the big middle button ("Guide"), like on an xbox.

I use this, which works great (as recommended in this or the XBMC thread), but you do have to click off the battery pack to shut the controller off, which is really a non-issue.

All you have to do is take it out enough to severe the connection between the pack and controller, which is not far at all. Then you just pop it back in.

edit: I think it takes less time than holding in the Xbox button.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 7, 2013

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I use this, which works great (as recommended in this or the XBMC thread), but you do have to click off the battery pack to shut the controller off, which is really a non-issue.

All you have to do is take it out enough to severe the connection between the pack and controller, which is not far at all. Then you just pop it back in.

edit: I think it takes less time than holding in the Xbox button.

If you say it's easy to pop out, I believe you! Thanks for the advice!

Does it shut off automatically for you, like others have reported? After 20 mins or so.

Since you say "battery pack", I guess you bought the official "play and charge kit"?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA29T0U59736
Seems to cost a little extra, I guess it's not included when I buy the controller, right?

I did find some nice packages with the official RF receiver included though.

E:sp

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 7, 2013

general chaos
May 20, 2001
The play and charge kit is crap. Get a stable of decent rechargeable AA batteries for whatever devices turn up that require them.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
The play and charge kit is kind of crappy. But it's the same mechanism to remove the battery from the controller regardless of energy storage type (AA battery vs static proprietary battery).

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

This is nuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCK6jdgjG2A

https://plus.google.com/110558071969009568835/posts/5fWK26rqitc

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

He says there's no transcoding going on, so that means that codec support is only what the Chromecast supports...whatever that is.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
I want to rip my DVD collection and setup XBMC. Is MKV the recommended format to rip to? If so is MakeMKV ok?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

The play and charge kit is kind of crappy. But it's the same mechanism to remove the battery from the controller regardless of energy storage type (AA battery vs static proprietary battery).

Protip: The "proprietary" play & charge kit actually has a pair of rechargeable AA batteries inside its pack. :ssh:

I dunno, maybe I'm missing something but what's to keep VLC or another open source media player to just add Chromecast support through its API instead of jumping through these hoops?

Jan fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 8, 2013

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Jan posted:

Protip: The "proprietary" play & charge kit actually has a pair of rechargeable AA batteries inside its pack. :ssh:

Hehe, that's pretty clever of them. So the only advantage is the ability to play while you charge. I can just switch over to my wireless keyboard, so I guess I'll use my old battery charger instead.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Is there such a thing as a wireless USB hub to which I could attach USB devices (joysticks, primarily) and have the hub broadcast to my mediabox? I don't mind plugging the hub itself into something; the point is basically having a place to plug the joysticks in that can be remote from the actual PC (10 feet maybe) and not trip everyone coming into the room. Searches for Wireless USB Hubs come up with what look like they might be actual network hubs with USB inputs, which isn't quite the same thing.

I could just get a wired hub with a really long cable, but I'd like to minimize the amount of wires I'm snaking around the room under the carpet if possible.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Hehe, that's pretty clever of them. So the only advantage is the ability to play while you charge.

Yeah, which was advantage enough for me when I didn't want to interrupt a game session to go rifling for extra batteries. Just grab for the cable, plug in, resume. Compared to the PS3's ridiculously short USB adapter...

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Jan posted:

Compared to the PS3's ridiculously short USB adapter...

You're willing to buy a play and charge kit but aren't willing to spring for a significantly cheaper long mini USB cable?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Jan posted:

Yeah, which was advantage enough for me when I didn't want to interrupt a game session to go rifling for extra batteries. Just grab for the cable, plug in, resume. Compared to the PS3's ridiculously short USB adapter...

Err it just uses any mini USB cable. I agree that the one it comes with is way too short though.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Is there such a thing as a wireless USB hub to which I could attach USB devices (joysticks, primarily) and have the hub broadcast to my mediabox? I don't mind plugging the hub itself into something; the point is basically having a place to plug the joysticks in that can be remote from the actual PC (10 feet maybe) and not trip everyone coming into the room. Searches for Wireless USB Hubs come up with what look like they might be actual network hubs with USB inputs, which isn't quite the same thing.

I could just get a wired hub with a really long cable, but I'd like to minimize the amount of wires I'm snaking around the room under the carpet if possible.

I'm also interested in something like this. I was hoping that someone made a bluetooth usb hub but I don't see anything on Amazon.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mouse Cadet posted:

I want to rip my DVD collection and setup XBMC. Is MKV the recommended format to rip to? If so is MakeMKV ok?
Yes and yes. Note that if makemkv ever comes out of beta you'll have to pay for it. It's still worth it.

Also, the mpeg2 compression used in dvds isn't very good. Handbrake with a good x264 preset can cut the mkvs to 1/2 - 1/3 the size without any visible degradation.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
My Zotac AD10 has no problems playing my 1080p videos streamed over from my server, but when I try to watch streaming video online at even 480p it stutters. Right now I'm trying to watch the Dota 2 tournament on Twitch, but it's also happened watching sports like March Madness. My computer and tablet have no problems streaming 1080p over the same internet connection, so it's not that. Why would this happen?

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 10, 2013

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

KingKapalone posted:

My Zotac AD10 has no problems playing my 1080p videos streamed over from my server, but when I try to watch streaming video online at even 480p it stutters. Right now I'm trying to watch the Dota 2 tournament on Twitch, but it's also happened watching sports like March Madness. My computer and tablet have no problems streaming 1080p over the same internet connection, so it's not that. Why would this happen?

Flash the latest bios and increase the video ram to 512mb or 1gb

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Don Lapre posted:

Flash the latest bios and increase the video ram to 512mb or 1gb

How do I upgrade the video RAM? It has a AMD Radeon HD 6310 onboard and dxdiag says it's using 2GB.

I flashed the latest BIOS and it's still not working well.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

KingKapalone posted:

How do I upgrade the video RAM? It has a AMD Radeon HD 6310 onboard and dxdiag says it's using 2GB.

I flashed the latest BIOS and it's still not working well.

There is a setting in the newest bios to increase vram.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gorfob posted:

MakeMKV is the single best software purchase I have ever made. I suggest all of you shell out for it. I have yet to find something it won't rip and dump into a perfect no mess .mkv file.

Does this work with DVDs I've already run through DVDDecrypter? I have a bunch of VIDEO_TS directories left over from discs I've ripped but it would be nice to just have flat video files.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Hed posted:

Does this work with DVDs I've already run through DVDDecrypter? I have a bunch of VIDEO_TS directories left over from discs I've ripped but it would be nice to just have flat video files.

Handbrake can do that.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
I think makemkv can handle video TS files. if not, DVD shrink and decrypter can convert the folder into a single ISO, and makemkv can convert that into a single mkv file.

Handbrake would take a while and compress the file. DvdShrink would just move it to a new container , provided you had the settings at "no compression"

Even when you have handbrake at the "lossless" setting, it's still converting the native file to h264, which adds time and compression.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I'm a little confused with the whole 3D thing since there are so many different formats, but the scene has seemed to latch onto releasing half SBS 3d encodes. Is my Zotac AD10 going to be able to play these back, and if so, is a special video player required or can I just play them in XBMC, MPCHC, or whatever?