Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

luscious posted:

She just wanted treats :haw:

Check for poop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Check for poop?

There was a poop :(

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

luscious posted:

There was a poop :(

Its a bunny. There is ALWAYS poop.

Here are some sleeping bunny butts, just finished redestroying their rabbit pen.

Tubby Lumpkins

Lils

Content little bastards.

That thing was spotless last night after we swept everything up cleaned it all out.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

:stare:

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Tubby Lumpkins

This bunny seems to be a clone of Bitsy

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
What's the deal with rabbits deciding that some hay is for eating and some hay is for building/throwing/hiding? Do they ever reclassify building hay as eating hay?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Bloodnose posted:

What's the deal with rabbits deciding that some hay is for eating and some hay is for building/throwing/hiding? Do they ever reclassify building hay as eating hay?

Yes when they run out of eating hay.

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!
It's looking more and more like my boyfriend and I are going to go our separate ways. The only thing is his cat and my bunny have become pals. He has done nothing to make sure his cat is up to date on his vaccinations or anything.

I really want to keep his cat (my bunny's vet has given me a quota to get the cat up to date in everything. My soon to be ex groaned at the price. I know his cat will not get proper care unless I take full responsibility.)

The two are pals.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So, I'm looking for a new roommate right now and have gotten responses from two people with dogs. One is said to grow to 22 pounds, and the other is a chihuahua. Should I decline both for Harriet's sake?

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

If there's any other way I'd avoid people with cats or dogs. Or ferrets or anything like that. The rabbit will never be comfortable with a predator around. Any sign of predatory behavior and she will be terrified out of her mind.

Even if they don't show predatory behavior. If anything goes wrong it might not even be their fault. But why risk it? I guess what I'm saying is get one with a rabbit :o:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

DS at Night posted:

If there's any other way I'd avoid people with cats or dogs. Or ferrets or anything like that. The rabbit will never be comfortable with a predator around. Any sign of predatory behavior and she will be terrified out of her mind.

Even if they don't show predatory behavior. If anything goes wrong it might not even be their fault. But why risk it? I guess what I'm saying is get one with a rabbit :o:

How about pet rats? Are those cool?

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Well I'm not an expert. But I doubt they'd mind each other much. But I do know that some rodents should not share living environments with a rabbit because of... bacteria or something? I know that's true for guinea pigs. Then again as long as they don't share a cage I don't think it matters much.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

bunnyofdoom posted:

Guinea Pigs only. :colbert:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Guinea pigs very commonly carry bacteria dangerous to rabbits.

I don't know whether rats do, but when I had rats, Gordon didn't care about them unless one of them was chasing her.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

NancyPants posted:

Guinea pigs very commonly carry bacteria dangerous to rabbits.

I don't know whether rats do, but when I had rats, Gordon didn't care about them unless one of them was chasing her.

I'm fairly sure it's the other way around, http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/pets/rabbits/company/rabbitsandguineapigs.

The337th fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 3, 2013

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

The paragraph about rabbits bullying guinea pigs is hysterical. I have no doubt my rear end in a top hat bunnies would terrorize any pig in their enclosure.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=....50165853,d.eWU

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 3, 2013

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The paragraph about rabbits bullying guinea pigs is hysterical. I have no doubt my rear end in a top hat bunnies would terrorize any pig in their enclosure.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=....50165853,d.eWU

Oh come on, most of that list was just bunnies humping things. Where's "waking up at 3am and finding your bunny sitting literally inches from your face, watching you sleep"?

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

I lurk this thread on and off cause bunnies are cute. But today I was out clothes shopping and thought of you all when I saw...

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
WHERE IS IT. I want it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Target. I see Mossimo on the tag.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

NancyPants posted:

Target. I see Mossimo on the tag.

Correct! Good eye.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

My girlfriend and I have a bunny and two rats. Never seen and problems. Sometimes the bunny likes to sit under their cage, and the rodents go wild trying to sniff her out, but nobody ever seems scared or defensive.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Seemed like the best place to ask, sorry if this breaks the "no vet advice" rule. There's a rabbit outside in my apartment parking lot that's been chilling under a car for like 3+ hours now. I don't see any obvious signs of injury but it let me walk right up next to it and it's acting kind of weird so I'm thinking something is wrong with it. I put a piece of celery right next to it and it hopped once about 4 inches away and it seemed to hop just fine. There was also about a dozen pieces of rabbit poo under there with it. It's also holding its head at a strange angle. Is the rabbit just being weird? This is Portland so maybe even the rabbits are weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u7H9cxFbK8

hayden. fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 5, 2013

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

hayden. posted:

Seemed like the best place to ask, sorry if this breaks the "no vet advice" rule. There's a rabbit outside in my apartment parking lot that's been chilling under a car for like 3+ hours now. I don't see any obvious signs of injury but it let me walk right up next to it and it's acting kind of weird so I'm thinking something is wrong with it. I put a piece of celery right next to it and it hopped once about 4 inches away and it seemed to hop just fine. There was also about a dozen pieces of rabbit poo under there with it. It's also holding its head at a strange angle. Is the rabbit just being weird? This is Portland so maybe even the rabbits are weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u7H9cxFbK8

If it is consistently holding its head at an angle, it most likely has head tilt. If it's friendly enough that you could get next to it, then it most likely is/was someone's pet. :(

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Does it have a scab on its back, too?

Could you try to either catch it or call a rescue in the area?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

pseudonordic posted:

If it is consistently holding its head at an angle, it most likely has head tilt. If it's friendly enough that you could get next to it, then it most likely is/was someone's pet. :(

Its ears look pretty frayed, if it's a house pet it's been in the wild quite a while. I looked up head tilt and it looks like it can be caused by stroke or trauma, so maybe it was hit by a car or maybe it had a stroke.

luscious posted:

Does it have a scab on its back, too?

Could you try to either catch it or call a rescue in the area?

I took a box out there with the celery to see if I could coax it out but frankly I don't want to remove it from its habitat unless it won't survive without intervention. I didn't notice a scab on its back but I also didn't get a great look at it.

edit: just checked and its gone, not sure it touched the celery at all. God speed mister rabbit.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 5, 2013

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Bitsy is being really affectionate. She's happily sitting on the edge of the couch letting me pet her getting all doe eyed when I do. No pee and no poops left behind... just pure love.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

hayden. posted:

I took a box out there with the celery to see if I could coax it out but frankly I don't want to remove it from its habitat unless it won't survive without intervention. I didn't notice a scab on its back but I also didn't get a great look at it.

edit: just checked and its gone, not sure it touched the celery at all. God speed mister rabbit.

An abandoned pet that is either sick or friendly enough not to even attempt to avoid you probably isn't going to survive too well in that habitat, honestly. If you were to see it again it would be for the best to find a rescue or something to take it to.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

hayden. posted:

It does not have a 'habitat'. A pet rabbit does NOT belong in the wild. And it will not survive without intervention. That whole rabbits belonging outside idea is a huge misconception. Wild rabbits obviously should be outside. Pet rabbits are fluffballs with no survival instinct. They have no idea where to get food. They have no clue how to find decent shelter. They will be terrified most of the time. It's only a matter of time before a dog chews on it, a car runs it over, it succumbs to illness or starvation, you name it.

Sooo keep that in mind if you happen to see it again, or any other pet rabbit that's outside. Please try your best to get it to a rescue.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Would a pet rabbit have frayed ears like that? I don't get why it wouldn't have taken the celery if it was some starving house pet.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

hayden. posted:

Would a pet rabbit have frayed ears like that? I don't get why it wouldn't have taken the celery if it was some starving house pet.

It could have ear mites, which would make the ears look that way. As for the not eating the celery, it might not have been able to eat anything. Rabbits can develop dental issues given enough time with very little attention.

Also, because it is a rabbit.

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 5, 2013

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The funny thing about this picture is that like half the questions are really easy to answer. Rabbits pee on your bed because it smells like you, you can't hold it because they have powerful back legs and sharp claws and don't really like being held, it eats coroplast because if it didn't it would die, and so forth.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

FactsAreUseless posted:

It eats coroplast because if it didn't it would die, and so forth.

Um, no.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that may have been a joke.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

it eats coroplast because if it didn't it would die, and so forth.

I hope you're confusing coroplast with cecals.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

The funny thing about this picture is that like half the questions are really easy to answer. Rabbits pee on your bed because it smells like you, you can't hold it because they have powerful back legs and sharp claws and don't really like being held, it eats coroplast because if it didn't it would die, and so forth.

Coroplast is the plastic used for signs.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yup, I am. To be fair, I think if rabbits do not arbitrarily destroy things they might die. The word I was confusing it with was "caecotroph."

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yup, I am. To be fair, I think if rabbits do not arbitrarily destroy things they might die. The word I was confusing it with was "caecotroph."

Whew, I was worried. Cilantro doesn't have any coroplast to chew on and I didn't want her to be disadvantaged. It's tough enough for her as a black orphan.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
Any of you guys have any place for bulk hay that has decent shipping rates to the west coast? Kleenmama hasn't had any 2nd cut timothy in a while, and each box of 3rd cut I've gotten has been worse and worse. My rabbits love the really stemmy 2nd cut, and the 3rd just doesn't interest them. I can get 33-36 lbs for about the same from american pet diner, and it looks like Drs. Foster % Smith have free shipping, but only Oxbow hay, which I've heard not great things about. Although one of the main complaints is the dust, and I've been getting a TON of dust in my Kleenmama shipments. Anywhere else I can look? It should be noted my buns don't like bluegrass, just the stemmy Timothy.

E: Gonna try Drs. Foster and Smith, they have a sale on their brand of hay that'll be smaller, less messy packages, and great prices on treats.

Deceptor101 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 8, 2013

ZeBourgeoisie
Aug 8, 2013

THUNDERDOME
LOSER
So, this is my first venture into rabbit ownership. Had one as a kid but didn't take care of it too terribly well, so now I want one as an adult. I've read all the faqs I could get my hands on, got a large room set off just for a bun, and have already stockpiled pellets and hay.

However, I really want a Dutch rabbit. I don't know why, they're just so adorable to me. But it's hard to find Dutch breeders in the middle of hickland, so the search has been a bit exhaustive.

Anyways, this is where I need you guy's help. I've recently found a guy on Craigslist that will sell me a Dutch, but he left this cryptic note.

"She does not play well with other bunnies."

Giant red flag, I know. Still, is this a complete deal breaker? What would I expect from a rabbit that "doesn't play well with other bunnies"?

I'm contemplating sending him an email asking for more details, but I want your opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

To be honest that's really not that uncommon. If a rabbit came from a mill or hasn't really been around other rabbits they may not socialize well without some effort on your part. Really doesn't make much of a difference about how good of a pet they'll make.

When I had rabbits with my ex we had a male Dutch and a female French Harlequin, and they straight up hated each other for almost three years. Like chasing, biting, growling, fur ripping, terrible smells, the whole deal. They had cages close to each other but weren't allowed out at the same time.

One day they just decided to start getting along and are now bonded.

Bunnies are mysterious little creatures.