Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Set your background framerate to be equal to your normal framerate to make autofollow work much better when boxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Even with the background framerate and setting CPU-affinity to -1, autofollow will still send the follower off into lava or over cliffs whenever it feels like it.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Meowbot posted:

Since auto follow seems to just create a total mess when multiboxing with isboxer what is the best way to navigate characters through areas with tight corridors like in the jails of Sebilis? I've tried to use repeater to move them but then everyone ends up going the wrong angle - is there a good way to "nudge" them through these spots without having to switch windows/drowning?
It's possible to navigate tight dungeons with a little practice. I've run several boxes through stuff like Sol B for example. Only water is really impossible.

First, remember that all your movement take like half a second to propagate to the other chars. Second, they are always a foot or so behind you. When navigating a zig-zag tunnel, you need to sort-of slam into the corners in order for your boxes to get far enough ahead to be able to get around the corner when you move on. You also need to wait for half a second for them to catch up, then move again. It's actually incredible how long a distance your chars will keep attempting to auto-follow you, so if you can nudge your main in the right general direction, they will "snap" out of being stuck behind walls and such. I've even used auto-follow in Kedge Keep of all places, with some success.

A trick you can also use if a box is stuck is to not hit the arrow key or anything that makes it stop auto-follow. Instead, simply use mouseview (hold down right the right mouse button), and hone him in on the main box.

Here's a quick MSPaint assuming navigation of a tunnel with corners:

Personally I've never had anything change when fiddling with framerates, although I have heard the trick about setting framerates equal helping.

Another thing I might suggest is to use round-robin CPU management instead of dedicating cores. That allowed me to 6-box for a while.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 4, 2013

si
Apr 26, 2004
It's worth mentioning that in some places (SolB is a great example), you are going to have to just stop and manually move each box through an area. Even in some of the twisty spots of like PoK, you're just not going to get them through as there isn't enough room to do the corner-mashing Pilsner mentioned.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Pilsner posted:

Auto-follow tricks

What I found helped immensely was to set up a key in ISBoxer that sends 'move forward' to 'windows other than active' (I forget the exact setting but you also need to set it to transmit continuously when held down rather than just a keypress). Since moving forward doesn't break autofollow, when you're navigating twisty areas just stop at the tight turns and hold that key to move the other characters right up until they are on top of the main toon, then continue. Works like a charm.

Edit: Does anyone have experience with using AutoHotKey through ISBoxer? I'm trying to set up a repeating keypress to macro some skills up overnight (pita ones like Tracking), but ISBoxer doesn't seem to recognise the keypress. I've tried googling it but all the ISBoxer threads about it get closed because it's 'hacking'.

I guess if all else fails I can log the account in normally to do this, but it would be nice to get it working.

Vulpes fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 4, 2013

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Vulpes posted:

What I found helped immensely was to set up a key in ISBoxer that sends 'move forward' to 'windows other than active' (I forget the exact setting but you also need to set it to transmit continuously when held down rather than just a keypress). Since moving forward doesn't break autofollow, when you're navigating twisty areas just stop at the tight turns and hold that key to move the other characters right up until they are on top of the main toon, then continue. Works like a charm.
That's a great idea.

Vulpes posted:

Edit: Does anyone have experience with using AutoHotKey through ISBoxer? I'm trying to set up a repeating keypress to macro some skills up overnight (pita ones like Tracking), but ISBoxer doesn't seem to recognise the keypress. I've tried googling it but all the ISBoxer threads about it get closed because it's 'hacking'.

I guess if all else fails I can log the account in normally to do this, but it would be nice to get it working.
Hmm, why do you particularly want to make AHK call ISBoxer? I doubt that's possible.

AHK is much more powerful than ISB since it can loop, pause and perform multiple keystrokes, but its downfall is of course that it's not made for multi-window shenannigans, and EQ resists its keystrokes sent to background windows.

For macroing skills, I always use AHK. Just set up some old-fashioned in-game macros that spam some spells or your Tracking skill, and repeat them as necessary with an AHK script. You make a loop and Sleep an appropriate amount between your Send commands. I once made a giant script that spammed spells on 4 characters (swapped between them then started an EQ macro that cast 5 spells on each character) in order to skill stuff like Divination, Alteration and Abjuration up. Was pretty neat.

I'm pretty good at both AHK and EQ macro tricks, so ask away if you need help.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 4, 2013

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Pilsner posted:

Hmm, why do you particularly want to make AHK call ISBoxer? I doubt that's possible.

I wanted to be able to send the keystrokes to multiple EQ windows so that I could level annoying skills on multiple characters at the same time. I guess I can do the same thing with old-fashioned multiple instances of EQ without ISBoxer involved, though - just a bit more fiddly.

If you happen to have a 'hit key, switch window, repeat' AHK macro floating around, that would be awesome and save me the time of figuring out how to write it myself.

Wask
May 2, 2003
I punch midgets for fun
Autohotkey works with ISBoxer so long as AHK is being run as an administrator.

That's how I leveled up a bunch of spell skills: Set up a macro in EQ on several characters to cast a bunch of spells in the 1 hotkey slot, make a super simple AHK script to loop pressing the '1' key with a delay, ran the script as admin, and turned on broadcasting to all windows in ISBoxer. Came back overnight, maxed spell skills.

AHK alone won't broadcast to non-active EQ windows. Seems to be a EQ coding limitation.

So I'm about to hit level 94 with my box team working on the T1 difficulty stuff in Valley of Lunanyn. I was going to stick around for another level or two, but would I be better off just jumping in to Shard's Landing? I'm at 4k AA in a mix of RoF and VoA T1 gear... earrings seem super hard to find.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Shard's Landing quests are pretty goddamn good XP so I'd recommend at least doing the story line. It's not TOO annoying with a box farm, the last group mission might be problematic though if you aren't fast on the pickup.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Wask posted:

So I'm about to hit level 94 with my box team working on the T1 difficulty stuff in Valley of Lunanyn. I was going to stick around for another level or two, but would I be better off just jumping in to Shard's Landing? I'm at 4k AA in a mix of RoF and VoA T1 gear... earrings seem super hard to find.

Skip VoA. One of the first Shards Landing quests can give you max Alaran. And all the RoF achievement rewards for finishing storylines give a TON of exp. Shards is something like 25% of a level, plus AAs for finishing the zone.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Zeta was a lot better than Kurn's was for my terrible bard's AA rate. I can clear the zone in about six pulls, and while the AA rate isn't mindblowing, but it's not bad, maybe 10 per pull without lesson. If I had a shining bastion bot, I could kill the whole zone in one pull. I'm not sure if I could be doing better.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Vulpes posted:

If you happen to have a 'hit key, switch window, repeat' AHK macro floating around, that would be awesome and save me the time of figuring out how to write it myself.
Here's my macro - roughly, as I have modified it since I last used it.
code:
	#MaxThreadsPerHotkey 2
	#IfWinActive is
#s::
	doLoop := ! doLoop
	Loop
	{
		If ! doLoop
			Break

WinActivate is1
		Send +6
		Sleep 200
		WinActivate is2
		Send +6
		Sleep 200
		WinActivate is3
		Send +6
		Sleep 200
		WinActivate is4
		Send +6
		Sleep 200

Sleep 25000
	}
	return
	#MaxThreadsPerHotkey 1
	#IfWinActive
Explanation:

#IfWinActive is - ensures the macro will only be run if one of my EQ windows (named is1, is2, is3, is3) are active, so you don't accidentially execute it while browsing and stuff.
#s:: - WinKey+S
doLoop variable - allows you to break the loop using the same hotkey.

Other than that it should be straight forward. It sends Shift+6 to each window then waits 25 seconds. Shift+6 is bound in EQ to a macro like this:
code:
/pause 50, /cast 1
/pause 50, /cast 1
/pause 40, /cast 2
/pause 40, /cast 2
/cast 3
...where, for example, 1 is an Alteration spell, 2 is an Abjuration spell and 3 is a Divination spell. Just an example.

Xars
Jul 7, 2013

Meowbot posted:

Since auto follow seems to just create a total mess when multiboxing with isboxer what is the best way to navigate characters through areas with tight corridors like in the jails of Sebilis? I've tried to use repeater to move them but then everyone ends up going the wrong angle - is there a good way to "nudge" them through these spots without having to switch windows/drowning?

Repeater is bad when moving. Don't ever use it. One slight angle change on any toon and they go flying in all directions.

Are your boxes in first or third player mode? When dealing with water, it's easier to play in first player mode. You can use repeater to slightly change the angle everyone is looking at to dive/surface, but usually you have to manually adjust each screen.

Auto-follow works in tight/weird places. You just have to move slowly and deliberately with your main toon. Hug the outside wall is the best way advice I can give. ie If you need to move left, then with your main toon, take the widest left turn you can (hugging the right wall) so the boxes will stay in the middle.

In short, it's much better to just avoid water, lava, etc. when boxing.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I refuse to believe people play this game in the thirds person. BLASPHEMY!

si
Apr 26, 2004
Wait, people play this game in first person?

Is this why I can never get characters out of water/lava?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It's the way the game is intended to be played! DO NOT DEVIATE

si
Apr 26, 2004

RCarr posted:

It's the way the game is intended to be played! DO NOT DEVIATE

When I started playing (granted this was the 90s) - I played an enchanter. First person was not even remotely useful for me, so I don't think I've ever used it.

How does one keep track of like roamers/surroundings/adds/positioning in 1st person?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

si posted:

When I started playing (granted this was the 90s) - I played an enchanter. First person was not even remotely useful for me, so I don't think I've ever used it.

How does one keep track of like roamers/surroundings/adds/positioning in 1st person?

You look around.

RCarr speaks truth! First person for life. It's what made EQ so immersive for me. As a puller, I was constantly having to run the tiny corridors over and over, so honestly, I used a lot of everything. First person while picking up the mobs and navigating the tunnels, but then I'd have to swap out to peek around corners to know when to flop, see if roamers went back to their spawn point, etc. But mainly in first person if I wasn't on the ground.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

xZAOx posted:

You look around.

RCarr speaks truth! First person for life. It's what made EQ so immersive for me. As a puller, I was constantly having to run the tiny corridors over and over, so honestly, I used a lot of everything. First person while picking up the mobs and navigating the tunnels, but then I'd have to swap out to peek around corners to know when to flop, see if roamers went back to their spawn point, etc. But mainly in first person if I wasn't on the ground.

I always laugh thinking about FD pulling. You go up and bonk a monster on the head, then him and his buddies come chasing after you. Suddenly, the guy they're chasing drops dead of an apparent heart attack and they say "Alright guys, lets get back to our card game."

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

xZAOx posted:

You look around.

I played in 3rd person when I came back recently but the way I played back in 2000 was always in first person and I would smash f9 occasionally to look around then back to 1st person.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Vomik posted:

I played in 3rd person when I came back recently but the way I played back in 2000 was always in first person and I would smash f9 occasionally to look around then back to 1st person.

Hah, I finally wisened up about halfway through my P99 career, and instead of cycling F9, I just made F9 go to the view I always wanted anyways (if not in first person). There's so many crappy camera modes, who the hell uses them?

The only MMORPG since then that I've played first person is LOTRO, of all things. Most people joke at me about it, but poo poo, the game is super easy, not like my "performance" or anything suffered from it. It's made LOTRO one of the MMOs I really enjoyed because of it too.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I do first person for some traveling, third person during fights so I can watch for adds. I'm constantly zooming in and out with the mouse wheel. First person is a must for those small corridors, narrow ledges, and treacherous jumps like in Evantil. I'll make it to the top of the tree by controlling the game like it's a first person shooter while the rest of the group is still struggling to make it up the first few ramps.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Speaking as a tank, I am in third person when I am tanking pretty much always. The extra situational awareness you get by being able to look around you easily without turning your back to what you're tanking (and therefore being unable to dodge, block, parry/riposte it) is big, in my experience.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Pilsner posted:

AHK goodness

Thanks! I will give this a spin tonight.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Am I blind or have they removed the Live/Test swap button on the launchpad?

I'm going to jump back onto the Necro I got to 80 last time but not burn out so fast hopefully. I think heading to where I can reliably root/rot will be my best bet so heading to 85 is the first target. Are the crocs still the go-to mobs for doing 80-85 reliably if rather unexcitingly?

si
Apr 26, 2004

Fazana posted:

Am I blind or have they removed the Live/Test swap button on the launchpad?

I'm going to jump back onto the Necro I got to 80 last time but not burn out so fast hopefully. I think heading to where I can reliably root/rot will be my best bet so heading to 85 is the first target. Are the crocs still the go-to mobs for doing 80-85 reliably if rather unexcitingly?

If you got to 80, I'd think you didn't burn out very quickly. Then again, were you just trying to blitz level? I'm only at like 57, but I'm enjoying quite thoroughly. I don't have enough time to do a lot of stuff, but leveling is barely even hitting my radar. I was hanging out at 52 to do Nag/Vox. I was able to take Nag out with my box group alone, and went to visit Vox to find out there's some hardcore heritage thing going on where it's now a level 90+ event. It hurt, a lot.

So I threw away this idea of hanging out at 52 to do her, I'll come back with another char later. Now I'm exploring old content. I explored my way into The Hole yesterday. That was pretty fun. I got very lost, and stuck a few times. Then I ran into some bastard punk blue NPC 'spirit of the old city' that did some sort of lay on hands/harm touch that instakilled my SK. Unfortunately my SK also had the healer merc, so no rez.

I decided to just plow forward with my 2 remaining boxes while the SK hung out in PoK. I made it through all the way from the bottom up to Paineel. Then I found out they're both KoS in Paineel.

Rambling story tl;dr: there's lots of fun stuff to do other than leveling, at any level.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
Well that was interesting. I left my chars online while I was at work today to get some AA. I set my computer to sleep after 5 hours and came home and it never went to sleep. I had 30 AA and I guess once you hit the AA cap it switches over to normal experience. It was pretty cool to see my characters have got an extra level and a half from killing one room of light blues all day.

My ranger, wizard, and bard are now at level 61 with a little over 200 AA each. I had 15 last night so I think I am doing pretty good for a one man army. Now my goal is to get to level 65 and set up an AA kill camp in Wall of Slaughter for a couple of days. Hopefully I can get a couple hundred AA at level 65 before moving on.

All of the advice in this thread has been phenomenal. Thanks for rekindling my love of EverQuest.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

si posted:

Rambling story tl;dr: there's lots of fun stuff to do other than leveling, at any level.

Most all returning players miss this completely and blitz level trying to get to endgame, then burn out. You're doing it right.

Lemme just say: level 100 if you're not raiding isn't that fun. You fight the same mobs you could've fought at level 60, only have less to show for it. I hit 100 and would've quit very shortly thereafter if I hadn't started raiding, because there's just no reason to keep playing

Velvis
Aug 18, 2005

Corn tastes good.

MrTheDevious posted:

You're doing it right.

I agree. You're doing it right by exploring the hole before you do vox. Any lady would appreciate that.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Heh, I love digging through the messy EQ install directory. My installation is based on an original Kunark install CD from 2000 that I still have. I stumbled upon a file called "revisions.txt" today. "Boats should be very stable now". Also note the public shaming of exploiters on RZ.

quote:

2/10/99 10:41am
---------------
Welcome to Phase 4 of the EverQuest BETA Test!

Thank you for participating in the final EverQuest beta phase.

Please keep in mind that this is still BETA. There will be bugs, there will be problems.

With 25,000 of you entering the game these next few days there will undoubtedly be difficulties. We will resolve them as quickly as possible, but we ask for your patience and help, especially during this time. Expectations are high, and while I don't think you'll be disappointed, please remember this is still a test, and we are all here to help in this process.

With that said, welcome to our world -- I'll see you in-game :)

-Brad McQuaid
Producer, EverQuest

*NOTE* Phase 3.0 and 3.5 testers wishing to have their accounts restored MUST use the test server.

If you wish to connect to the EverQuest Test Server, you must run "testEverQuest.exe" instead of "EverQuest.exe".

2/15/99 12:30am
---------------
We have added the EverQuest tutorial, which is recommended for new players getting started in the world of Norrath. To patch the tutorial, you will need to patch using the "testeverquest.exe" to receive all of the required files, then run "tutorial.exe". Please give us any feedback that you may have for improvments that should be made. All of the character restorations from phases 3 and 3.5 to the "Test" server should be completed by the end of the day. Also, please note that the "News" window will only contain information regarding the current additions and bug fixes, all past news can be read from the "revision.txt" file located in your EverQuest directory.

Bug Fixes

- The "Backstab" and "Bind Wound" skills should be working as intended.
- We believe we have solved one of the problems that occurs when people
would get booted at the EverQuest loading screen (with the Elf woman on it).
- We should very shortly have fixed all of the registration problems. Try back
later tonight if you haven't successfully registered.
- Zones should be MUCH, MUCH more stable now. We fixed a major crash problem with them.
- New Banshee drivers should be up on https://www.everquest.com - These are EverQuest specific.
Thanks to 3dfx for giving us these drivers before they are generally released.
- If you have a Voodoo2 and you have THE latest drivers from 3dfx, you will have
a problem switching resolutions. Please use the drivers off of https://www.everquest.com as they
work properly.

2/19/99 9pm
-------------
The EverQuest Team is pleased to announce a major enhancement to Trade Skills!

We've just updated our all of our servers with over 1,000 new items, the vast majority of which are created exclusively using the various trade skills available to players in the game. The EverQuest manual has been updated to reflect these skills.

To be really successful as a tradesman it is important to remember a few things:
-A trade merchant shouldn't sell every component required to make an item. They don't want you undercutting them.
-A merchant will usually not give you retail value for a product you are selling. They need to make a profit.
-A merchant will usually give you more money for an item than the cost of the components if the item is only available from PC tradesmen.
-A merchant will usually charge a high price for a trade item. This allows a PC tradesman a hefty profit if they wish to sell directly to players.
-A trade item will usually be better than a merchant bought item of the same cost.

2/22/99
----------
-Test Server Update

Good evening citizens of Norrath!

Various changes have been made to the trade skills, including additional component carrying merchants, new items, and general bug fixes. Pending the success of the changes and bug fixes on the Test server, all remaining world servers should be updated on Thursday, 25th. If you have any suggestions or complaints about the trade skills, please direct all comments to us via the "/feedback" command.

Included in the patch is an updated version of the EverQuest beta manual.

The following players have been banned from the Phase 4 EverQuest beta test for failure to comply with repeated warnings against exploiting mobs and other PvP+ players on the Rallos Zek server.
Chat Handle/Character Name:
Tweed/Tweed
Bendoggius/Smizzurf
Lucenthawk/Lucenthawk
Jakila/Revken
DustyAirs/Amoush
lou76/Llan

The following player has been banned for ignoring repeated warnings against the use of profanity and racial slurs on the Chat server.
Moonrings

We regret the necessity of these actions, but we are committed to providing a positive play environment for our testing customers.

February 26th
-------------

1) Problem with people unable to enter the game after getting disconnected - We found this problem
and we believe we have completely corrected it.
2) Seeing your own Hit Point bug - We corrected several problems in this area. You shouldn't
have any more problems seeing your own Hit Points any more. In addition, you shouldn't have
any more problems seeing the Hit Points of your own party or monsters you target. This should
fix the Paladin - Lay Hands on problem as well.
3) Charm Spell problems - We should have fixed all the problems related to this spell, particularly
regarding Hit Points and other associated problems.
4) Problems with falling thru the World while zoning - We believe this problem has been fixed.
If anyone still encounters this problem, please email us immediately.
5) All Bards should now get Dual Wield.
6) Rangers, Shadow Knights and Paladins should all get channelling.
7) Several Crash Bugs have been fixed on both the zone and world servers.
8) Several Combat bugs have been fixed regarding damage.
9) You should now be able to target translucent creatures (also see note below).
10) You can no longer trade with NPC's from any height.
11) If you zone while anonymous, you will still be anonymous when you reach the new zone.
12) Sound - We have finally activated music. You will only get music if you have a Sound Font
capable sound card. These cards include - Awe 64 Gold and Value, Awe32, SB Live - In the next
few days we will be activating the music on ALL sound cards. As this is code hasn't been
in before, please let us know of any problems you encounter.
13) Other Client side bugs, including several lockups and crashes.
14) Boats - Boats should be very stable now. Enjoy sailing!!
15) Targeting - We have made MAJOR improvements to the targeting routines. Try
them out and tell us what you think.
16) You should no longer lose your Newbie Guild Tunic upon death.
17) The chat server is now optional.
18) We have TEMPORARILY disabled Glide on Banshees.. we've found a potentially
fatal problem, and are working with 3dfx to resolve it.

Wednesday March 3rd

BILLING SYSTEM TEST
-------------------

Beginning tomorrow (Thursday March 4th) at around 11am PST we will begin
conducting live tests of our billing system. What that will mean for you
is that the next time you log in after we turn this on, you will need
to enter your billing information.

NO CHARGES WILL BE PUT ON YOUR CARDS - THIS IS A ZERO DOLLAR TEST.

You will still see our pricing options, but ignore those dollar amounts
as nothing will actually be charged to your card. We are merely doing
a dry run of the system. Please select randomly from the different
pricing plans.

For those of you who do not have credit cards, you will be unable to
play EverQuest for the remainder of the test. We apologize, but this
is neccessary for us to test the functionality of the Billing System.

The Credit Card you use DOES NOT HAVE TO BE THE SAME ONE YOU USED FOR THE
PHASE 4 BETA.

Also, we will be at times forcing people to resubscribe (maybe once or twice
over the next week) just to shake out any problems with the billing system.

The EverQuest Team

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
That's a nice read, 14 years ago, drat >.<

Necro experts, when does root rotting become less than an exercise in dancing around when they start breaking like mad? Thought I'd give it a try this morning and it looks like I'll still be much better off snare kiting for now. Presuming it's not until the 90s and getting hasted Persistent Paralysis that you can go completely nuts root/rotting?

As for rushing to content, I've seen most of the earlier content in my many many runs before. I'm mostly heading to 85 (or even 92!) this time to see the newer stuff I haven't participated in before. I hear 92 is a really sweet spot for necro power and that coincides with a gear level as well so win/win!

Is <Roost> still considered a disgraced guild? I was still tagged when I logged in but haven't had any hate-tells yet. Should I look elsewhere asap?

Edit: VVV Fair enough. I'm not in a rush so I'll listen out for a decent guild along the way then and stay tagged for now. For interaction purposes there's the chat channels at least!

Fazana fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 6, 2013

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The "disgraced" thing was just some drama between two or three people in the guild. Ignore it. No one gives a poo poo what guild you are in. Don't worry about it.

On the other hand, <Roost> is pretty much deserted. Most I ever see are maybe 2 or 3 box teams on at once. I'd look for another guild if you actually want to group/interact with guildmates.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Snare kiting is always preferable to rootrotting, it's just more effort. PP is your only effective root until 98, when you get a new one. At 100, my 98 root on a mob I've scented/tashed is basically PP though.

That said, at 92, go to BD or CoB and kill some plants. Both are really easy to aggro kite and your hastened PP is high enough at that point you can PP once a minute if you'd rather rootrot. With 92 gear, it'll still take you enough dots per mob that PP generally suffices. I did BD to 95, CoB to 98, then 98-100 in Evantil. The xp is ridiculously fast. Ridiculously.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Cheers for the info, only 81 right now so that's a while away. Will probably do Loping crocs to 85 and then see what's what elsewhere.

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!

Fazana posted:

Cheers for the info, only 81 right now so that's a while away. Will probably do Loping crocs to 85 and then see what's what elsewhere.

Valdeholm (Valdholm? I forget) is a great spot until 85/86 as well, especially the big pit at the entrance with the spiders and whatnot in it. Further in there are some halfway decent aug drops, too, but it's a little more challenging.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Sorry if I missed the OMMs earlier jetz0r, my internet connection went down for a bit. One drop of rain and a boom of thunder is enough to scare it off.

Pilsner posted:

Heh, I love digging through the messy EQ install directory. My installation is based on an original Kunark install CD from 2000 that I still have. I stumbled upon a file called "revisions.txt" today. "Boats should be very stable now". Also note the public shaming of exploiters on RZ.

I still have my beta phase 4 letter and CD. I will treasure it always.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Is the shaman puma line of spells a really big DPS increase with shaman pet, SK pet and SK attacking? It feels like it is but I'll be damned if it isn't the most annoying spell in the world to keep up, if it's only a slight boost then I wouldn't feel too bad skipping it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Midnight City posted:

Is the shaman puma line of spells a really big DPS increase with shaman pet, SK pet and SK attacking? It feels like it is but I'll be damned if it isn't the most annoying spell in the world to keep up, if it's only a slight boost then I wouldn't feel too bad skipping it.

I don't know about pets, but I like it, even as a paladin. It can crit. I talked to a shaman in Realm of Insanity, who is a very nice and drunk fellow, and he told me he had that spell in his lineup for group situations.

Node fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 7, 2013

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I was hunting at level 65 with 100% AA/0% experience and fell asleep in walls of slaughter and woke up with 30 AA but it looks like since I maxed out AA it rolls over to normal experience because my chars who were 8% into 65 were halfway through level 66! Is there a way to turn that off or do you just have to make sure you don't go over 30 AA? I am kinda bummed because I heard level 65 was the best to grind AA here.

Meowbot fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Midnight City posted:

As far as I recall from parsing, it's very far from a "big" DPS increase. At the highest level it lands for around 1300ish I believe, and my Monk does regular melee hits for 1000+ with 1h weapons, as a comparison. I don't bother buffing it most of the time, but sometimes I can't help myself. I believe there's also a Type3 aug that extends its duration by 1 measly tick.

As with anything, making an ISBoxer macro that pops it makes it a lot easier. I usually cast it as my Monk is incoming with a pull.

Meowbot posted:

I was hunting at level 65 with 100% AA/0% experience and fell asleep in walls of slaughter and woke up with 30 AA but it looks like since I maxed out AA it rolls over to normal experience because my chars who were 8% into 65 were halfway through level 66! Is there a way to turn that off or do you just have to make sure you don't go over 30 AA? I am kinda bummed because I heard level 65 was the best to grind AA here.
I don't think there is, but you can always just die a few times to lose XP. :) The guard patrolling the entrance to West Freeport, just inside the gate near Boomba the Big, is good for dying on, as he hits for 150k+ per hit.