Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!

Fojar38 posted:

So are there any AI civ's at all who won't immediately try to shove Arts Funding through the World Congress the moment they get the ability to propose resolutions? And have everyone love them for it?

The AI universally approves of Arts Funding and universally hates Science Funding. This is baffling.

The AI tends to pick world congress stuff that will allow them to make up for deficits. They tend to be neck and neck on science, or a bit a head, usually at the cost of culture, so they love the culture stuff. If an AI is going for a culture victory, they also like arts funding. They generally only like science funding if they are a good bit behind on science or ahead on science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Fojar38 posted:

So are there any AI civ's at all who won't immediately try to shove Arts Funding through the World Congress the moment they get the ability to propose resolutions? And have everyone love them for it?

The AI universally approves of Arts Funding and universally hates Science Funding. This is baffling.

Germany and Korea pushed for Science Funding and won. This was in my game as Napolean going for a cultural victory. :smith:

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Fojar38 posted:

Yeah it seems really odd. Granted I've never had Korea in a BNW game yet, but every time I try to do Science Funding I get a massive amount of hate from every civ in the game. What is up with that?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fojar38 posted:

In six or seven games where I got to the World Congress, I've never seen Arts Funding even proposed. Also there are a lot of civs who would be happy with Science Funding.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Pvt.Scott posted:

I'm going to give civ IV a shot, since I've got beyond the sword. Fall from Heaven also looks pretty cool. Any general tips?

Also, how do people feel about Colonization (old or new) and FreeCiv?

E: also Civ:Revolutions.

I only played Civ Rev on Xbox 360 but I couldn't stand it. It's extremely simplified compared to normal versions of Civ, and very easy to game once you figure out the basics. I was hoping it would be a fun diversion but it just ended up being unsatisfying for me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Civ Rev is a lot of fun on the DS, though it's really, really easy. The Lightning upgrade trivializes the game from what I remember and the AI is even worse at waging war than usual. I was able to win on deity on a regular basis.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Sounds like a case of confirmation bias re: science and arts funding.

By the way, what are the rules for who gets to propose resolutions? It always seems to be me even when I see no reason for it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

KKKlean Energy posted:

By the way, what are the rules for who gets to propose resolutions? It always seems to be me even when I see no reason for it.

Pretty sure it's the Host and whoever has the most delegates (or second most if the Host also has the most).

Edit: Not sure about ties, though. I think it's random?

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
I've seen ties go to the world host.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

KKKlean Energy posted:

Yeah, I've personally never been able to propose either science or art funding and not make someone angry.

I put the game down for a while and recently got back into it, now playing only Continents/Pangaea Plus w/ altered CS placement, and it's making the game so much more enjoyable for me it's kind of ridiculous. If you haven't given it a shot but frequently find yourself hating the maps you're getting, try it out - it's the poo poo.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
So I thought I'd give the mod tools a go for this, just for a small mod that changes some of the leader dialogue. Do I need the suite for this or can I just dive straight into the XML files?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kyrosiris posted:

Edit: Not sure about ties, though. I think it's random?

I think a tie means the proposal doesn’t pass.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

ETB posted:

Germany and Korea pushed for Science Funding and won. This was in my game as Napolean going for a cultural victory. :smith:

Diplomats! You can buy almost every vote in the game.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jedit posted:

If it's not dependent on range, maybe. If it is, then it's just a version of Religious Texts that doesn't work on other civs.

Consider this: Religious Texts got nerfed, it only increases spread by +25% in general until Printing Press, which gives you +50%. This is +100%, and it can daisy-chain from one city-state to the next provided you keep 'em friendly. Sure, those CS will only exert normal pressure on civs, but multiple city-states converting early will swamp the map with pressure. Plus: a converted city-state loses its influence with you at a reduced rate, so there's a really good tactical reason for always converting city-states.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Does anyone know if there has been a patch yet that fixes Steam achievements for people without BNW ? I am a huge loser and can't stomach not getting them as I play the game. I could just buy BNW but I am worried that it will invalidate all my hard earned saves I have racked up by changing the winning conditions.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Verviticus posted:

Diplomats! You can buy almost every vote in the game.

I ended up buying votes for naying on an opposing world ideology. I think it was a better use of my money.

Has anyone ever thrown votes to a diff civ for world leader just so the one with most delegates wouldn't win?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

ETB posted:

I ended up buying votes for naying on an opposing world ideology. I think it was a better use of my money.

Has anyone ever thrown votes to a diff civ for world leader just so the one with most delegates wouldn't win?

I do that all the time, since the AI is pants on head stupid about voting for host or World Leader. If I can't have it, I'll at least help take it away from the top dog. That'll get me a few points of green diplomacy, or at the very least a nice message from the leader.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Platystemon posted:

I think a tie means the proposal doesn’t pass.

No, I mean for who gets to submit a proposal.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ETB posted:

Of course. Gotta get your friends elected so there's one less chance at a proposal to ban your luxuries.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

ETB posted:

Yes, and if the person you voted for wins, they're your buddy forever and ever.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

mitochondritom posted:

I could just buy BNW but I am worried that it will invalidate all my hard earned saves I have racked up by changing the winning conditions.
This won't happen. Saves are fixed to whatever DLC was active when they were started. You can enable or disable DLC even for new games, so you could even start a fresh game of just plain Civ V if you wanted even if you owned all the expansions.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

You can't even loving enable some stuff like quick movement in multiplayer after you start a game so DLC or expansions changing the game in any mode would be incomprehensible.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

I can't find the post anymore, but someone posted a screenshot talking about a new map-script being worked on that would do things like create Mediterranean-esque inland seas and stuff that looked pretty cool. What was the story behind that?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

AriadneThread posted:

I can't find the post anymore, but someone posted a screenshot talking about a new map-script being worked on that would do things like create Mediterranean-esque inland seas and stuff that looked pretty cool. What was the story behind that?

Thal, the guy that makes the GEM and CivUP mods, has been modifying the PerfectWorld3 map script to apparently add some additional interesting features. I don't think he's released anything yet though.

It does look cool, but knowing Thal, he'll rename "Jungles" to "Rainforests" for no real reason, but it will break all policies and buildings that affect Jungle tiles.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've been using a modified version of PW3 that fixes some of the bugs, someone uploaded a version with all of the fixes here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=12655678&postcount=416

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Some people found those modifications to really change the script too much so that it lost some of its original personality. I also had problems with the AI not expanding when running it, but I'm not sure why. I've settled on this script, which is just 4 variables in the settings tweaked to add ocean on the East and West edges of the map so land rarely exists along the seam:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5264731/PerfectWorld3.lua

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Verviticus posted:

Yes, and if the person you voted for wins, they're your buddy forever and ever.

Unless they're America and they have a large land border with you. I had nothing but bright green modifiers with Washington and he backstabbed me anyway--fortunately, said border sat astride a desert that I'd thought to fill up with Kasbahs, machine guns, and upgraded Berber Cavs. :getin:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

SlightlyMadman posted:

It does look cool, but knowing Thal, he'll rename "Jungles" to "Rainforests" for no real reason, but it will break all policies and buildings that affect Jungle tiles.

Map scripts can't do that, all that's going to be in the CEP mod though :v:

I don't think the map script he's working on is a modification of PW3 though, it seems like it's totally separate. I've been keeping an eye on it though.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Bro Enlai posted:

Unless they're America and they have a large land border with you. I had nothing but bright green modifiers with Washington and he backstabbed me anyway--fortunately, said border sat astride a desert that I'd thought to fill up with Kasbahs, machine guns, and upgraded Berber Cavs. :getin:

I don't think I've ever been warred on by a civ with a DoF. I wasn't even sure it was possible until I read this thread.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Brannock posted:

I don't think the map script he's working on is a modification of PW3 though, it seems like it's totally separate. I've been keeping an eye on it though.

Hmm, I know I read that somewhere, but it was probably just a random CivFanatics post or something so I'm most likely wrong.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So under what circumstances have people here been taking piety, if ever? Reformation beliefs can be so strong that I feel like I really should dip into it if I have any decent faith income at all (Desert folklore, Maya/Ethiopia, Mt. Sinai), but everything else about it seems so much weaker than going the usual tradition. That loss of happiness and gold really hurts. I've done games where I try to get the best stuff out of tradition and then start piety, but by that point a lot of the awesome reformations (Jesuit Education!) are almost always taken since the AI has a huge piety boner for whatever reason.

If nothing else, I love playing the Maya and I'm convinced that at least the opener and maybe the extra faith would be pretty decent for getting your pyramids online faster and making them better, but even as advantageous as that can be, I still feel like I'm gimping myself by neglecting tradition.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I tried taking Piety first in my first BNW game and even though I had desert start Morocco with Desert Folklore and Petra, I still ended up being unable to expand due to happiness cap, and could never quite catch up enough to compete. I'd personally only do it again as a second tree, if anything.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SlightlyMadman posted:

I tried taking Piety first in my first BNW game and even though I had desert start Morocco with Desert Folklore and Petra, I still ended up being unable to expand due to happiness cap, and could never quite catch up enough to compete. I'd personally only do it again as a second tree, if anything.

Piety as an opener isn't so hot, but it's decent if you can swing it in hybrid with either Tradition or Liberty, personal preference.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Fojar38 posted:

In my games the AI congress proposals are almost entirely "ban luxury resources." In my last game as venice they'd banned 4 luxuries and were trying to ban a 5th before I started using my resources to force the votes to fail and get repeals on the earlier bans.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
How to correctly play Piety (one of my friend's screenshots, either on King or Emperor):

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

President Ark posted:

In my games the AI congress proposals are almost entirely "ban luxury resources." In my last game as venice they'd banned 4 luxuries and were trying to ban a 5th before I started using my resources to force the votes to fail and get repeals on the earlier bans.

Well, arts funding is desired for two reasons: it lets you generate Great Artists faster, who develop your own culture faster and also potentially generate tourism. So it's good for both artistic defense and artistic offense. It also keeps science leads from pursuing even further science leads. So Arts Funding is usually desired by whoever is the underdog. If you are the one who's pulling ahead....

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ruder posted:

So under what circumstances have people here been taking piety, if ever?

I only open Piety if I need a religion and have been shafted on natural wonders/city states/ruins/pantheons. Double‐speed shrines and temples allow me to brute‐force my way to a religion. The other policies aren’t worth taking.

The only time I would go deeper into to the tree is when abusing Siam’s Wat + university oversight. Reformation beliefs are okay, but finishing my starting tree, putting points into Rationalism, and open other trees takes priority. By the time I’m willing to get around to finishing Piety, religion is waning anyway.

Speedball posted:

Well, arts funding is desired for two reasons: it lets you generate Great Artists faster, who develop your own culture faster and also potentially generate tourism. So it's good for both artistic defense and artistic offense. It also keeps science leads from pursuing even further science leads. So Arts Funding is usually desired by whoever is the underdog. If you are the one who's pulling ahead....

I’m not averse to Arts Funding if I can delay it long enough. At some point my Great Scientists/Engineers/Merchants take so many points to generate that I’m realistically not getting another with or without the bonus/malus to generation.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 6, 2013

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Seriously, that's just asking for it.

At that point he was also coveting my lands. Cue a few turns later, he's also expanded all the way down towards my two cities and I see Ashurbanipal shuffling around his siege towers, click next turn and Ashurbanipal shows up with a proposition... give me ten turns. :getin:

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Does anybody have advice for playing Venice? I love the concept of the civ, but I feel like I'm not really playing it right (I'm new to Civ V so that's probably part of it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Grand Temple with Venice is generally strong, especially if you go Religious Texts. Your bonus trade routes really allows you to get the most out of trade route pressure. I'd still probably prefer that to the double city state pressure belief in that instance. Just because it doesn't take long for city states to fall massively behind in trade route value.

I did this last night on that Immortal-spice save that was posted a few pages back. Even though I got Grand Temple and Itinerant Preachers, Spain's Buddhist Holy City was churning out 130+ pressure to my 60 something. I was religiously swamped the entire game. Does the AI get a pressure bonus on Immortal? I checked the beliefs the AI picked, and they were all random non-pressure bonuses, nothing indicating why my religion was so totally outclassed.

Oh well, it was still a stupidly easy win. Venice + Freedom is pretty broken, I might even be able to win on Deity with that combo.

Silvergun1000 posted:

Does anybody have advice for playing Venice? I love the concept of the civ, but I feel like I'm not really playing it right (I'm new to Civ V so that's probably part of it).

Prioritize the Colossus and Petra and the trade route techs, build a shitload of cargo ships, ally all the city states (I bought 2 just for the Ideology factories and a bit of trade food in my Capital), boss the AI around with the Council, win.

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 6, 2013

• Locked thread