Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Doesn't Burn have some sort of connection with the Azath?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

amuayse posted:

Doesn't Burn have some sort of connection with the Azath?

Her physical body is inside an azath house

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Skuzal posted:

Her physical body is inside an azath house

Or it's olar ethil or iskaral pust's mule or a bole sister

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Speaking of Azath houses in Forge of Darkness we learn a lot of the elder gods are actually a group of people called Azathanai. There has to be some kind of connection between the two but I am not really sure what it could be.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
e: ^^^ this is also hinted at (and the name Azathenai used) at least once in the original series. Haven't gotten to Forge yet as I'm just finishing up my pre-Forge reread, so I don't know anything else of what happens in it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Azath 'realm' birthed them.

Dalmuti posted:

you can't prove that. i'm of the opinion that ole silchas ruin started hearing poo poo after a couple thousand years buried in the dirt
I am not quite sure which part you are referring to? But if it's the bit about selecting guardians, then Silchas and Kettle are hardly the only examples.

Sir Bruce posted:

Someone/thing is also giving the Nameless Ones their marching orders, or, at the very least, information on what's happening with all things Azath.

Perhaps, but there appear to be quite a few beings who have, at least, a good working knowledge of the Azath. They also had Spite for a while - have we even heard much of / from them since that little disaster involving her and freeing the D'ivers whose name inexplicably escapes me at the moment?

I guess to me, the Azath seem like a type of emergence - not a sentient entity, per se, but with an eventual pattern from which springs consequent range of essentially mindless - though not purposeless - actions.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 6, 2013

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
From what I know, the Azath seem to act as sort of an immune system for the world to make sure it doesn't blow up in DBZ-style fireworks. Though in function they seem to be a cross between a prison and a retirement home.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Ethiser posted:

Speaking of Azath houses in Forge of Darkness we learn a lot of the elder gods are actually a group of people called Azathanai. There has to be some kind of connection between the two but I am not really sure what it could be.

There's also a suspicious amount of detail paid to the dwellings of the Azathanai when Draconus goes through town.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

There's also a suspicious amount of detail paid to the dwellings of the Azathanai when Draconus goes through town.

I'm trying to remember but weren't all there houses all beat up and in poor shape.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Ethiser posted:

I'm trying to remember but weren't all there houses all beat up and in poor shape.

I actually don't really remember, I just remember that it seemed to hint at importance the way it it was presented. That sounds familiar though.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Ethiser posted:

I think that the houses in poor shape was just an illusion or something.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
The idea of an Azath house is so interesting, just like a tar pit full of badass gods and ascendants, haha.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Loving Life Partner posted:

The idea of an Azath house is so interesting, just like a tar pit full of badass gods and ascendants, haha.

And people who step off the loving path. Because some dumb rear end tourist is obviously at the same threat level as loving gods and d'i'v'e'r's and poo poo.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Hey azath eat this guy named snic'kers. You're not you when you're hungry

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

And people who step off the loving path. Because some dumb rear end tourist is obviously at the same threat level as loving gods and d'i'v'e'r's and poo poo.

That's why I like the emergent idea, rather than true sentience. On the other hand, a rational guardian seems able to exercise some selection, as hinted by Raest regarding that one Imass.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well some of the Azath are quite comfy. It's not exactly the worst fate you could suffer for eternity in the Malazan series.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Considering the only other previously inescapable fate was dragging a giant wagon of dead with the heart of Kulald Galain chained under it away from the forces of chaos, yeah, not too bad.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

The Letheri Azath house was pretty bad. Buried alive forever (until you're murdered).

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

amuayse posted:

Well some of the Azath are quite comfy. It's not exactly the worst fate you could suffer for eternity in the Malazan series.

But they're only comfy for visitors of the house. The beings that usually end up imprisoned there are under the Azath grounds and don't exactly seem to have a great time of it.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:
I finished Memories of Ice last night. :smith: I think that's the fastest I've ever read a book of that size before.

Just started House of Chains today.

It just occurred to me that the first 3 books are the only fiction books I've read since high school (11 years ago now).

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

Rye Bread posted:

I finished Memories of Ice last night. :smith: I think that's the fastest I've ever read a book of that size before.

Just started House of Chains today.

It just occurred to me that the first 3 books are the only fiction books I've read since high school (11 years ago now).

Wow well you're really picking a heavy fiction series to start on drat.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Habibi posted:

But they're only comfy for visitors of the house. The beings that usually end up imprisoned there are under the Azath grounds and don't exactly seem to have a great time of it.

Does Raest count as a visitor?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Raest has it nice. Just chilling and being a NEET with his cat inside the Finnest House.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Elyv posted:

Does Raest count as a visitor?

Uh, no, he counts as the Guardian, and has it pretty well at outside of being dead and lacking the freedom and ability to even acquire a cat without middlemen (and women).

Rallick Nom and Vorcan do, though.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

So I just finished Forge of Darkness and overall I enjoyed it except for the last quarter or so of the book. It seemed to be full of PoV's for characters that I have no reason to care about. Between Rint, Rise Herat, and Haral I found myself skipping large chunks of the book to get to actual plot points. It seemed like TtH but the characters were less consequential so it became a bit of a slog towards the end.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Ochowie posted:

So I just finished Forge of Darkness and overall I enjoyed it except for the last quarter or so of the book. It seemed to be full of PoV's for characters that I have no reason to care about. Between Rint, Rise Herat, and Haral I found myself skipping large chunks of the book to get to actual plot points. It seemed like TtH but the characters were less consequential so it became a bit of a slog towards the end.

There were too many character POVs for me too, and having them always start with the character philosophizing about something made it worse. It really screwed up the pacing of the book for me because it seemed like every time I would start really getting into the story and things would start picking up, there'd be another POV switch and things would slow right down again. I'd love for Erikson to write a book with a small amount of POVs.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

That was also my biggest problem with the book. I don't want a philosophical speech three fourths into the book from a character I have have not been previously introduced to. I'm still not sure what the Hust were doing in the book.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

savinhill posted:

There were too many character POVs for me too, and having them always start with the character philosophizing about something made it worse. It really screwed up the pacing of the book for me because it seemed like every time I would start really getting into the story and things would start picking up, there'd be another POV switch and things would slow right down again. I'd love for Erikson to write a book with a small amount of POVs.

I saw FoD as a setup for all of the things that is going to happen in the remainder of the books.
Based of the original series we have some ideas what will happen, but not how it happens.
I'm really looking forward to get the back story of the Tistes, Elder Gods and Jaghuts.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Habibi posted:

But...that's what immortal means?

Undying means, well that he'll never stop existing as an alive being. However, as he's not ageless he will continue to physically age for all eternity whereas your standard immortal remains in their physical prime. Without his candles he'd eventually age into full-on decrepitude and might as well be dead.

Call it a different flavor of immortality if you will, but his curse is still not the real deal. :v:

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
So I finished The Crippled God on Friday and had a few days to let it sink in. Obligatory nagging questions:

I never quite understood what the Dying God was. I thought in MoI they said that Tattersail had Nightchill and Bellurdan's souls in her when reborn as Silverfox, so how did Bellurdan become The Dying God? The whole explanation that his soul found Heirlock's while wondering around in Chaos or whatever made no sense to me. I seem to recall he crashed down from the sky in some broken machine, so am I correct to assume that Heirlock escaped as well? Still... I thought his soul was inside Silverfox?

And can someone explain the boat Stormy, Gesler, and Truth find? I get that it was being used by one of the Sengar brothers to go and find a champion before Karsa came up and wrecked the party but still leaves the whole headless Andii crew. That all seems well beyond any of the Edur magic. Was it one of Hood's Death Boats?

And the Nascent - I remember Rhulad told his mages to flood their warren or whatever to go and find champions and assumed this was the result. But I thought the Edur didn't actually have a warren since it was completely shattered. So even if that is the case, why did they need to flood a warren to travel by boat the same way everyone else seemed to get to Lether in order to gather champions? And if that's the same place Rhulad had Trull tied up to slowly drown as punishment how did an Imass get in there to become his buddy? That entire part is pretty hazy to me.

I'm sure I'll think of more questions. I never expected the last book to tie everything up considering there are still books being written, but I can't help but feel that it fell a bit flat for me in terms of my expectations. It still had a ton of great moments for me like Toc getting to ride off with the Bridgeburners, Stormy and Gesler's, Jaghuts being loving awesome. But that said the whole power draws power theme and way almost every novel reached some crazy convergence its climax, I kind of expected more with 10 books of players being on the table [spoiler]in some mega All The Gods Battle Royal and instead got what seemed like an pretty ordinary battle all things considered with that strange dragon apocalypse story that seem to come out of nowhere thrown in. Barely any Karsa or Icarium? Bummed me out considering how much I loved those characters.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Robot Danger posted:

So I finished The Crippled God on Friday and had a few days to let it sink in. Obligatory nagging questions:

And the Nascent - I remember Rhulad told his mages to flood their warren or whatever to go and find champions and assumed this was the result. But I thought the Edur didn't actually have a warren since it was completely shattered. So even if that is the case, why did they need to flood a warren to travel by boat the same way everyone else seemed to get to Lether in order to gather champions? And if that's the same place Rhulad had Trull tied up to slowly drown as punishment how did an Imass get in there to become his buddy? That entire part is pretty hazy to me.

I might be remembering incorrectly as it's been a while, but the Tiste Edur made a deal with the Kenryllah demons (Lilac from Midnight Tides) and drained the oceans of the demons they had been at war with into a fragment of Kurald Emurlahn, diverting their fleets. Something to do with the Kenryllah demons being at war with the other demons and losing.

As for Onrack, he was chasing after the seven renegade T'lan Imass that you see pop-up here and there in the series

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Concurred posted:

As for Onrack, he was chasing after the seven renegade T'lan Imass that you see pop-up here and there in the series

Were they the ones in Karsa's village that were imprisoned?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Headless andii ship:
Wasn't that Karsa's work?

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Headless andii ship:
Wasn't that Karsa's work?

Yes, not the headless andii but the rest :black101:

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
That was awesome. I got such a kick out of the way the two stories intersected like that.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Hipster Occultist posted:

Undying means, well that he'll never stop existing as an alive being.

Correct, he's immortal. Glad you came around.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Canuckistan posted:

Were they the ones in Karsa's village that were imprisoned?

Yeah, their names were slightly changed but it was the same

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I'm bad with names in real life. I have to admit that I couldn't keep 2/3 of the characters straight, especially the long names that look very similar to the all the other long names.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Ideally every character would have been named by Braven Tooth, because I remember most of the marines distinctively.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Ideally every character would have been named by Braven Tooth, because I remember most of the marines distinctively.

I dunno, Beak/Balm/Bent/Bowl can get a tad confusing sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Robot Danger posted:

I never quite understood what the Dying God was. I thought in MoI they said that Tattersail had Nightchill and Bellurdan's souls in her when reborn as Silverfox, so how did Bellurdan become The Dying God? The whole explanation that his soul found Heirlock's while wondering around in Chaos or whatever made no sense to me. I seem to recall he crashed down from the sky in some broken machine, so am I correct to assume that Heirlock escaped as well? Still... I thought his soul was inside Silverfox?

It's a weird storyline that basically exists to give Itkovian and the Black Coral Andii something to do and basically references a bunch of unclear and largely forgotten GotM stuff. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think Silverfox casts out Bellurdan's soul and he's mad that he's not with Nightchill or something. I don't know.