Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Eat This Glob posted:

Awesome. That'll be a great help. Now to get my boss to cover the cost of booze and smokes for gifts! Is there a limit I can bring in to the country? I'm not planning on filling a duffel bag full, but would two 750ml bottles of Johnnie Walker and a couple cartons of smokes get me in trouble?

Most countries, and I think China is one, you can have three 750 ml bottles of whatever and Customs won't care. I've never had customs in China even look at my stuff, and I doubt they'd care if you're a little over.

You can buy Johnny Walker pretty much anywhere that stocks foreign hard liquor in China; though it's more expensive here. Same with Jack Daniels, and most other popular mass-market brands of booze. (I can't recall seeing Maker's Mark in China, though) If there's some decent local or regional booze you can bring, bring that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

VideoTapir posted:

Most countries, and I think China is one, you can have three 750 ml bottles of whatever and Customs won't care. I've never had customs in China even look at my stuff, and I doubt they'd care if you're a little over.

You can buy Johnny Walker pretty much anywhere that stocks foreign hard liquor in China; though it's more expensive here. Same with Jack Daniels, and most other popular mass-market brands of booze. (I can't recall seeing Maker's Mark in China, though) If there's some decent local or regional booze you can bring, bring that.

Maybe i'll bring in some Templeton Rye. Al Capone's whiskey of choice. Still bottled about an hour from here, but I doubt folks in China know who Capone is. That'd be something homespun nonetheless.

Modem Noise
Oct 23, 2004

I draw close to you little by little
I'm in Hong Kong for a week. I've been here before, so I've already been to the major tourist places like the Peak, Star ferry, TST and Mongkok.

I want to see something uniquely Hong Kong, something that tourists don't usually get to see. Do you guys have any recommendations?

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

Modem Noise posted:

I'm in Hong Kong for a week. I've been here before, so I've already been to the major tourist places like the Peak, Star ferry, TST and Mongkok.

I want to see something uniquely Hong Kong, something that tourists don't usually get to see. Do you guys have any recommendations?

Mainlanders with arms full of baby formula legging it through customs.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you like city stuff then you can try shum Shui po and go get electronics and try the tofu pudding store opened since the 50s. There's hk Disney if that's your thing.

If urban city stuff is getting boring,.then go to the out lying islands and go for a hike. Or bike ride from the new territories to the Shenzhen border.

Oh there are also quite a handful of still inhabited old tolo tribe and hakka village houses.

Actually climb Sharpe peak. It's my favorite hike in sai kung. Ask the hk goons to hang out. I'm busy in Maine and won't be back until August 10

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

Eat This Glob posted:

Maybe i'll bring in some Templeton Rye. Al Capone's whiskey of choice. Still bottled about an hour from here, but I doubt folks in China know who Capone is. That'd be something homespun nonetheless.

The actually have Templeton in China and it's drat good

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

tacoman165 posted:

The actually have Templeton in China and it's drat good

Get some moonshine, moonshine wins friends.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Apparently this is all you need to breathe cleaner air.

Article

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

SB35 posted:

Apparently this is all you need to breathe cleaner air.

Article

That's basically what any off-the-shelf model is, except with better sealing around the edges.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

That's basically what any off-the-shelf model is, except with better sealing around the edges.

And probably hundreds less!

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I just ordered crap off taobao to make one.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

I CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE CLOPPING TO PONIES; PLEASE KILL ME

Eat This Glob posted:

Yeah I really wouldn't go to too much trouble in this regard. There really isn't the concept here of appreciating a 'thoughtful' gift.

Also the Danish Butter Cookie system is in effect 365 days a year here, so your gift will probably sit in a cupboard somewhere until that person needs something to give to someone else.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

I CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE CLOPPING TO PONIES; PLEASE KILL ME

Magna Kaser posted:

I just ordered crap off taobao to make one.

I made on of these at the weekend after getting some filters from Taobao but I don't think its working (still waiting for the AQI monitor to arrive).

I find it hard to believe the filter he made is effective as I found a hell of a lot of air was escaping from the sides and blowing back through the other side of the fan. There didn't seem to be much fresh air coming through the filter itself.

Kept in on for a few hours when going out and when we got back in the room smelled really strange (unless fresh air smells weird to me know?).

I may give it another go but meh :effort:

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...
So I have arrived in Shenzhen!

First thoughts are drat its hot, I'm staying across from central park and really surprised how green the city is.

Went flat hunting yesterday and everywhere had a view of building construction and was expensive as its in the middle of town. Today we are hunting further out of the center in Futian so fingers crossed.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
You're going to have to seal the edges somehow. Duct tape, I guess.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ally_1986 posted:

So I have arrived in Shenzhen!

First thoughts are drat its hot, I'm staying across from central park and really surprised how green the city is.

Went flat hunting yesterday and everywhere had a view of building construction and was expensive as its in the middle of town. Today we are hunting further out of the center in Futian so fingers crossed.

Welcome to Shenzhen. By central park do you mean near the convention center? Where's your job located, because central Futian has basically the most expensive rent in the city if that matters to you.

e: also it's not hot today :lol:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

You're going to have to seal the edges somehow. Duct tape, I guess.

It depends on what you're doing with it. If you're putting a filter on some kind of intake fan then you need to, but if you're trying to build a scrubber that will sit in the living room then sealing is unnecessary. All you have to do is force air through the filter.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Arglebargle III posted:

It depends on what you're doing with it. If you're putting a filter on some kind of intake fan then you need to, but if you're trying to build a scrubber that will sit in the living room then sealing is unnecessary. All you have to do is force air through the filter.

And if you dont' seal the edges, you're just forcing air AROUND the filter.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
What if you out the filter on the back where that type of fan is flatter, it would suck air in through the filter and blow out clean air instead of blowing dirty air through the filter.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

And if you dont' seal the edges, you're just forcing air AROUND the filter.

Some of it will probably go through :effort:

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

There is a negligible amount going through in the middle but most is being pushed round the sides.

I read on some DIY forum where they were discussing this, one guy who said he built 99% of his house using recycled/DIY materials conceded home made air filters were impossible to replicate the quality of the expensive bona fide ones.

A lot to do with the design of the fan or something technically boring like that.

Edit: I also guess when the filter expires you have to go through the rigmarole of untying/ducktaping/whatever all over again....

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
So basically unless you find the perfect combination of box fan and nearly-same-sized super-cheap filter, it isn't worth it.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So, the feedback is that the interviews went well and the company are preparing an offer. So I will become a China (Shanghai) goon. More to come...

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

MeramJert posted:

e: also it's not hot today :lol:

There is literally a big sign across from me that says Shenzhen central park. If your Scottish anything above 30 is hot! Flat hunting went better today, agents are really strange. Yesterday a guy, who was maybe the quickest walker i have ever meet, showed us around with two pretty hot chicks who were giggling ever two seconds.

Today was a different guy who seemed to have no idea where any of his flats were and was on the phone the whole time. Sadly the only decent flat was around 5000 which I was interested in but the landlord wasn't wanting me to take it as her paperwork was not on record with the government and if take the place i need to get some signed receipt from her which would maybe land her in trouble!

So day 3 of flat hunting is tomo yippie! SO far loving the food here and its pretty cheap compared to the UK!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

ally_1986 posted:

There is literally a big sign across from me that says Shenzhen central park. If your Scottish anything above 30 is hot! Flat hunting went better today, agents are really strange.

Unless this agent came recommended to you by someone you trust and have good reason to trust, they're probably looking to screw you. Agents are scum.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

Unless this agent came recommended to you by someone you trust and have good reason to trust, they're probably looking to screw you. Agents are scum.

I dunno, I've used Century 21/HomeLink/etc to look at apartments occasionally (even online, most listings are through these guys these days it seems :smith: ). I don't think I've really been screwed outside of the fee which is part of the deal of using these guys, and seems pretty standard wherever you are.

Also, to be honest, agencies and stuff are pretty useful if you're looking for something specific. Like in Chengdu, some places have 20M internet, some places 100M, some places more... but most places are stuck with crappy ADSL. Even online it only says 宽带 without any specifics. If you go to an agency and say "I want a place in this area with a at least a 100M internet connection" they can pretty much make a list and you're on your way.

Of course you should negotiate the price of the place a bit, and you do get stuck with that fee, but I really don't think it's quite as bad as you're making it out. When I lived in Qingdao I was pretty busy from the second I moved there and an agent really helped me out as I gave them some vague criteria and they found a ton of decent places. I ended up negotiating the price of the place down 500/month (from 2200 to 1700), and the fee I paid the agent was only like 1000 or something. Seemed pretty fair.

I'm apartment hunting too, and on all the big web portals listings from people renting places themselves are bleak as hell. What happened Chengdu????

Private Snowball
Jul 22, 2007

Ride the Snide
So after 2 years in China I returned home to the West for my summer holiday. This place is strange and everyone is fat.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Private Snowball posted:

So after 2 years in China I returned home to the West for my summer holiday. This place is strange and everyone is fat.

I did this too. I learned fat people also exist in continental Europe, which blew my mind as everyone always told me it was only English-speaking countries that are fat.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Private Snowball posted:

I remember my first time going to a fast food place back in America after living in China for a while. I couldn't believe how big the portions were, even for the smallest combo meal. And the people eating there were enormous, plus it felt weird to order in English.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Private Snowball posted:

Girlfriend and I flew into Detroit, and holy poo poo, 9/10 people that work in that airport are enormous. She was simply amazed.

Then we ate Taco Bell.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

SB35 posted:

Girlfriend and I flew into Detroit, and holy poo poo, 9/10 people that work in that airport are enormous. She was simply amazed.

Then we ate Taco Bell.

I consistently have the worst experiences with security and staff at Detroit airport but they're probably upset because their city is lovely.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Detroit staff aren't so bad. I've even seen them being helpful and friendly at times, unlike Houston where all the TSA guys are on a huge power trip.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

synertia posted:

I consistently have the worst experiences with security and staff at Detroit airport but they're probably upset because their city is lovely.

Sport the latest bootleg Lions jersey and everything is a breeze.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Hey, is there any consensus among you goons about which is the best VPN to go for? Or are they all much the same and I can just pick any of the ones in the OP?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SB35 posted:

Then we ate Taco Bell.

When I got into Detroit once, the family across from me as I waited for my flight to Atlanta were fat rednecks in hunting camo. It was just a sampler for Florida, my final destination.

pyr0maniac
Apr 23, 2004
$3 wh0re
I'm still a little confused about the visa stuff.When I came here I just got a F visa for 6 months study, no need a resident permit or medical check up etc. (under 6 months study F visa)

I'll hopefully leave mainland China next week or so and am going overseas to my home county and a few other places.

The school suggested I change to an X visa in the mainland thereby allowing me to stay in China for a year..but I will need to wait here and extend the visa get medical check ups etc, seems like a bit of a pain. I'll definitely do that if I 100% have to, but not really keen on 2 chest xrays and blood tests etc if not necessary. [Especially since I'm leaving anyway.. then returning to study a separate course]

Since I'm leaving anyway, can I just get a new F visa the same as when I first got here? I have heard that the new regulations come into play SEP 1. That way I can leave now, skip chest xrays, save the medical costs, and it's a lot less hassle.

I'd be applying before September for sure.

Edit: I have all the forms to apply for an F visa again JW202 and invitation letter blah blah.

pyr0maniac fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 7, 2013

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

BadAstronaut posted:

Hey, is there any consensus among you goons about which is the best VPN to go for? Or are they all much the same and I can just pick any of the ones in the OP?

Vita VPN is very good. They have a free trial of 888mb but if you run out of that all you gotta do is make a new email address and you've got another account ready to go. It literally only takes 3 minutes to make a new account so I think it's worth it.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

VideoTapir posted:

Yes. They jack up prices in addition to the other issues. People are always on about fees - their fee is based on rent. It's their job to jack up the rent.

You guys must have the local telephone poll and cork board posting thing there.

Private Snowball posted:

7 years on, my biggest realization on my last trip was, "Holy poo poo, there is a TV every 5 feet everywhere you go and no matter what activity people are engaged in, they're staring blankly at a TV."

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 7, 2013

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

ReindeerF posted:

7 years on, my biggest realization on my last trip was, "Holy poo poo, there is a TV every 5 feet everywhere you go and no matter what activity people are engaged in, they're staring blankly at a TV."

And about 2/3rds of what's on TV is some sort of consumption — cooking shows, eating shows, shopping shows, auction shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Do ISPs in China generally have uncapped or limited bandwidth?