Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nightblade posted:

I think I hit a bug. As Scandinavian emperor I launched a conquest for Asturias de Oviedo against the king of Castille, but when I won the war this happened:

Since he was a dirty heathen I could also revoke his king title and all his provinces without any negative reactions from my vassals.

This can't be right?

That is quite some bug. I could imagine if the count of Asturias was pressing a claim on Castille, that you conquering him just as he won the war could lead to this strange outcome, but it is definitely a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN
I'd be content if they just added a reset button to the character finder, along with a "My Dynasty" filter.

Also, I love how Wiz's last CK2+ release came about a week before a new patch. :v:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Alkanos posted:

I'd be content if they just added a reset button to the character finder, along with a "My Dynasty" filter.

Also, I love how Wiz's last CK2+ release came about a week before a new patch. :v:

Click "Search All/Realm/etc." again and it refreshes. :)

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

Think I might've found a kind of weird bug.

So, as a Karling, I made one of my relatives the Patrician of the Republic of Brittany. Fast forward a couple hundred years, and the Patrician Karlings are still going strong, though they've sat out the latest Doge election. Now the Lord-Mayor Karling patrician is Count of Léon, vassal of the current Doge of Brittany. I decide that I've gotten sick of being the Mega-HRE and tag over to him, and find that I can plot to fabricate a claim on the Republic of Brittany.

I do so, and then declare a war for my claim. However, when the sitting Doge relinquishes his claim to me, I get a game-over saying that I have "become the ruler of a Republic and must end the game".

Why is this?

All else fails, get your warscore to 100% and use the console to give him the title. That might work?

give_title d_brittany <char-ID>

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Thats a good cheat. How do you find the tags for the titles though? Say I accidentally gave my son a county before its first town was built, thus turning him into a feudal lord that hates my republic government. Could I cheat the title back to my self, wait for the town to finish, then give it back to him as a proper mayor?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
The tag is the letter showing what type of title it is before the name of the title. So b_, c_, d_, k_, e_, then the name of the holding/title. If the names two words there's probably an underscore in between.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Trujillo posted:

The tag is the letter showing what type of title it is before the name of the title. So b_, c_, d_, k_, e_, then the name of the holding/title. If the names two words there's probably an underscore in between.

Note that the name of the title may not be the same as the internal name used for console commands (usually because of cultural names, such as Scotland becoming Skotland when the title is controlled by the Norse). When in doubt, check landed_titles.txt in the common folder in the CK2 directory.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

DrSunshine posted:

Think I might've found a kind of weird bug.

So, as a Karling, I made one of my relatives the Patrician of the Republic of Brittany. Fast forward a couple hundred years, and the Patrician Karlings are still going strong, though they've sat out the latest Doge election. Now the Lord-Mayor Karling patrician is Count of Léon, vassal of the current Doge of Brittany. I decide that I've gotten sick of being the Mega-HRE and tag over to him, and find that I can plot to fabricate a claim on the Republic of Brittany.

I do so, and then declare a war for my claim. However, when the sitting Doge relinquishes his claim to me, I get a game-over saying that I have "become the ruler of a Republic and must end the game".

Why is this?

There is definitely some weirdness with losing republican elections, then becoming a count (rather than becoming a lord mayor of whatever personal holdings you have), then something happening to the ducal title. One time I tried playing a Lithuanian republic within the kingdom of Lithuania, and things got screwy when I lost an election (only had kids as potential successors) and then had someone succeed in a plot to transfer the duchy over to me.

So yeah, republics get really buggy when you deal with DIY ones rather than the built-in ones.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
It has been said many times already but, boy, is this game enhanced by its mods. I am trying to create a Wendish Kingdom in anticipation of EU4, and playing without CK2+ is such a change of pace. Hopefully some enterprising goon figures out a way to make the converter play nicely with the community's mods, otherwise a nice bit of the game will be lost to me.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

It has been said many times already but, boy, is this game enhanced by its mods. I am trying to create a Wendish Kingdom in anticipation of EU4, and playing without CK2+ is such a change of pace. Hopefully some enterprising goon figures out a way to make the converter play nicely with the community's mods, otherwise a nice bit of the game will be lost to me.
I mentioned earlier today that I would be playing a (mostly) vanilla game in preparation for patch 1.11 breaking mods and/or eventually converting to EU4. And I was actually looking forward to it because I had just tried a couple of Project Balance + VIET games as the Livonian high chief and as the Zoroastrian dude that had gone down in flames, which had been a pretty rough introduction to Old Gods. (Mostly due to some serious 'gently caress you' options in those otherwise decent mods. Can't use Subjugation or Holy War CBs if you're slothful, really?)

But boy, had I forgot just how different vanilla was. I started as the shittiest of the three Dregovich half-brothers, the one that's a Slavic count vassal to Dyre the Stranger of Kiev, and instead of the long climb to independence I expected, I had a bunch of civil wars and pagan strife all around me that, in under 20 years, served me three duchies practically on a silver platter (as in, I only ever used mercenaries to speed up a couple of sieges). Barring a heart attack, I should form Ruthenia in the next 4-5 years, so I'm really not seeing this game going the distance.

Blame myself for not roleplaying the Content trait my dude has, I guess. Though when your rear end in a top hat infidel ex-liege is sitting next to you on a holy site, completely out of manpower and with a nice Conquest CB on his head, it's really hard to see even the shittiest chief going "eh, whatever" :v:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there a way in-game to find out the holy sites of enemy heathen "religions" because I'd love to break the backs of some of these huge religious blocs. Old gods is rad. I've got a massive slavic pommeranian empire to my south, a mix of old-norse and what ever the gently caress finland is to the north, a ton of Catholics to the south, and a scary-big Hungary blobbing in eastern europe.

It's fairly interesting playing in europe where most of the map isn't catholic and there's no HRE. It's a very different experience than the the vanilla start date.

An AI question though, maybe wiz would know (if he still even has time to post here) but do the AI's actually go for holy sites in the hopes of reforming their religion? I managed to reform Norse within the life-time of my first leader through a series of opportunistic coastal invasions but so far I'm the only religion to reform its self.

Oh and an interface question: Is there a quick way to filter for my kin? My family tab only shows my direct relatives but it doesn't show all my half-cousins and "kinsmen" and such. Basically is there a quick filter to only see people who would display the little blood-drop next to their portrait? I'm trying to stack the deck in my empire with blood-kin but it's often an effort and a lot of scrolling to find them.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 7, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Anyone have any mod suggestions for something that makes it much easier for large kingdoms/empires to break apart and change over time, so there's not as much long term blobbing as vanilla? I've heard CK2+ is okay for that but since it's not being updated any more, are there any other good alternatives? PB maybe?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Is there a way in-game to find out the holy sites of enemy heathen "religions" because I'd love to break the backs of some of these huge religious blocs. Old gods is rad. I've got a massive slavic pommeranian empire to my south, a mix of old-norse and what ever the gently caress finland is to the north, a ton of Catholics to the south, and a scary-big Hungary blobbing in eastern europe.

Go to the religion map screen and then click on a county controlled by the religion you are curious about, their holy sites should show up as white counties.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Fintilgin posted:

Also, a filter for positive/negative traits for my medieval eugenics program.
This. What's the point of having a character search if you can't search by trait or set bounds on stats? I've wanted this since Day 1.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I would loving kill for the ability to queue up holding improvements. Sometimes I'm sitting on a few thousand gold and I just want to say "hey new city holding, here's 2000 worth of improvements, let me know when you're done". I find often the bottleneck for improvements isn't my money but going into the interface. So I tend to save up huge amounts of money and then go on a big improvement-binge.

I'd love to have it so you could just keep clicking improvements and spend the money on them and then have them build in order, but you can cancel un-started projects any time and get the money back. I'd also love the ability to automate holding improvement. Like say "economy focus" or "defense focus" or what ever and then you could just throw money into a "construction" pot that is then divided amongst your holdings and spent on construction.

And an actual question: what determines how much money I get from a holding? I control Zeeland and Holland. Zeeland just has 4 holdings but Holland has 6. Both have a bunch of nearly max-upgraded holdings. Zeeland has a total tax base of like 48 and Zeeland is around 60. Both are directly ruled by me and the lower holdings all ruled by people with 80-100 opinion of me. Yet inferior Zeeland is paying me like 30/48 taxes while Holland is giving a lovely 16/60 taxes. I can mouse-over the little coin and it gives a break down but it doesn't explain WHY. Why is one city in Holland paying like 8/12 and the other identical city with a nearly identical ruler both at 100 opinion paying me like 2/12 ??

Both are the same religion and same culture too. Inferior Zeeland also tends to provide a lot more troops as well.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Vastly lower tech level? Huffy vassal barons?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I mean the 8/12 and 2/12 are in the same county, they're just different city-holdings within the same place so same tech level. Both mayors love me and have similar stats. I can't figure out why there's such a disparity. What's the actual formula for how much of a holding's income you get?

And also, is that 2/12 city meaning although I'm only getting 2 of its income, the mayor is getting 10 into his pockets? If I lower the taxes in my realm does that mean my vassals will have more money to spend on improvements?

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Maybe one of the cities has improvements that's earning extra cash?

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

gently caress. I guess that means my precious Game of Thrones mod is gonna get broken again. :(

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Well, I just found out something incredibly annoying:

The Better Armies mod (at least the non-CK2+ version) sets the game's end date to essentially never. 100,000 AD.

Why the gently caress do mod authors insist on changing poo poo that has no loving relation to the purpose of their mod? Yes, now that I finally figured out what it was that caused my Roman Empire game to derail (I was planning everything for a 1453 end date), it's easy to fix just by changing that line back to default, but Goddamn it's aggravating.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Zurai posted:

Well, I just found out something incredibly annoying:

The Better Armies mod (at least the non-CK2+ version) sets the game's end date to essentially never. 100,000 AD.

Why the gently caress do mod authors insist on changing poo poo that has no loving relation to the purpose of their mod? Yes, now that I finally figured out what it was that caused my Roman Empire game to derail (I was planning everything for a 1453 end date), it's easy to fix just by changing that line back to default, but Goddamn it's aggravating.
Why not just stop playing at 1453?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Yureina posted:

gently caress. I guess that means my precious Game of Thrones mod is gonna get broken again. :(

Just right click on CK2 in your steam library -> Properties -> Updates -> Do not update.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

Why not just stop playing at 1453?

Because I've been without internet for the last week (thanks for nothing, Comcast) and had never gotten to the end date before, so I wasn't 100% sure it was 1453. I thought it was, and it turned out I was right, but when the game kept going after 1453 I just assumed that I'd mis-remembered the end date. At least until 1500 rolled around.

Also, I was thinking about importing the game to EU4. Better Armies was the most high-impact mod I was using and I didn't think it would make any difference since I doubt the conversion cares about either constructed buildings or army size and composition (both should be wildly different in EU4). Those were the two save data related things the mod was advertised to change.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
So I'm having a bit of trouble with the Sonendar mod. I'm playing as Leung and have conquered the Qing and Yao Kingdoms and the occupied Zhu provinces but I can't seem to obtain the Mandate of Heaven.

Apparently I don't control Yao. The problem is I totally do control all of Yao. Am I missing something obvious? Is there a console command I can input to make the Mandate of Heaven event fire?

Screencaps:

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Zurai posted:

Because I've been without internet for the last week (thanks for nothing, Comcast) and had never gotten to the end date before, so I wasn't 100% sure it was 1453. I thought it was, and it turned out I was right, but when the game kept going after 1453 I just assumed that I'd mis-remembered the end date. At least until 1500 rolled around.

Also, I was thinking about importing the game to EU4. Better Armies was the most high-impact mod I was using and I didn't think it would make any difference since I doubt the conversion cares about either constructed buildings or army size and composition (both should be wildly different in EU4). Those were the two save data related things the mod was advertised to change.

You realize you can export a save for EU4 from any date, right? It really doesn't matter if you went fifty years over, as far as the converter is concerned.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

brocretin posted:

You realize you can export a save for EU4 from any date, right? It really doesn't matter if you went fifty years over, as far as the converter is concerned.

I fail to see how that has any bearing on how annoying it is for a mod that proclaims itself as a purely military balance mod to change the end date of the game without any documentation thereof.

Also, I would kind of expect that exporting a 1501 save would prevent me from starting before 1501, even if it is indeed permitted, yes? Yes, I can roll back until a pre-1453 save, and I intend to. I said it was annoying, not game-ending.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Necroskowitz posted:

So I'm having a bit of trouble with the Sonendar mod. I'm playing as Leung and have conquered the Qing and Yao Kingdoms and the occupied Zhu provinces but I can't seem to obtain the Mandate of Heaven.

Apparently I don't control Yao. The problem is I totally do control all of Yao. Am I missing something obvious? Is there a console command I can input to make the Mandate of Heaven event fire?

Screencaps:

Actually, the decision is functionally identical (except for obvious landed titles differences) to "Restore the Roman Empire" in Legacy of Rome, which, IIRC, has the same problem with completely controlling things. I literally copied and pasted the Byzantine decision and changed some names. Check and see if there are any independent baronies or anything like that.

If not, press "~" and go into the console, and type "event YUA.1".

EDIT:

code:
restore_yuan = {
		is_high_prio = yes
		potential = {			
			any_demesne_title = {
				OR = {
					title = k_yao
					title = k_zhu
					title = k_aztlan
				}
			}
			ROOT={
				culture_group = yuanese
				religion_group = imperial
			}									
		}
		allow = {
			war = no
			age = 16
			is_female = no
			prestige = 2000
			piety = 500			
			completely_controls = k_yao
			completely_controls = k_zhu
			completely_controls = k_aztlan			

}
		effect = {
			narrative_event = { id = YUA.1 tooltip = EVTTOOLTIPYUA.1 }
		}
		ai_will_do = {
			factor = 1
		}
	}
code:
restore_roman_empire = {
		is_high_prio = yes
		potential = {
			has_dlc = "Legacy of Rome"
			age = 16
			prisoner = no
			NOT = { trait = incapable }
			has_landed_title = e_byzantium
			religion_group = christian
		}
		allow = {
			prestige = 3000
			completely_controls = d_latium
			completely_controls = d_venice
			completely_controls = d_ferrara
			completely_controls = d_sicily
			completely_controls = d_genoa
			completely_controls = d_capua
			completely_controls = d_apulia
			completely_controls = d_thrace
			completely_controls = d_antioch
			completely_controls = d_jerusalem
			completely_controls = d_alexandria
			completely_controls = d_athens
			completely_controls = d_tunis
			completely_controls = d_croatia
		}
		effect = {
			narrative_event = { id = LoR.20 tooltip = EVTTOOLTIPLoR.20 }
		}
		ai_will_do = {
			factor = 1
		}
	}

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Zurai posted:

I fail to see how that has any bearing on how annoying it is for a mod that proclaims itself as a purely military balance mod to change the end date of the game without any documentation thereof.

Also, I would kind of expect that exporting a 1501 save would prevent me from starting before 1501, even if it is indeed permitted, yes? Yes, I can roll back until a pre-1453 save, and I intend to. I said it was annoying, not game-ending.

Any save you export, regardless of date, produces a 1453 start-date game. There is no reason for Paradox to add in a restriction like that. Also you're getting really exercised about a modification that does literally nothing but benefit you, so stop complaining. And if you care so much, have a tutorial for how to change end dates.

vv The flavor events for SI are all really neat like that, and if I'm not mistaken the Aztecs appear 100% of the time if the DLC is on.

brocretin fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 8, 2013

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I just got an event saying my adventuresome viking brethren had landed on a new continent but some shockingly advanced natives butchered most everyone and stole our ships, which they are now sailing back to their great cities to the south to study and replicate.

That's kinda awesome how they explain the whole coming Aztec invasion as being my fault! Also does this event mean for certain they'll show up later?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

brocretin posted:

Any save you export, regardless of date, produces a 1453 start-date game. There is no reason for Paradox to add in a restriction like that. Also you're getting really exercised about a modification that does literally nothing but benefit you, so stop complaining. And if you care so much, have a tutorial for how to change end dates.

I already stated I know how to change the end date, thanks. I'm making a valid, and again admittedly minor, complaint. If you don't like it, feel free to stop complaining about me complaining so this mini-conversation ends.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 8, 2013

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I'm pretty sure that was a CK2+ change that the Better Armies guy merely retained. So blame Wiz.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

That's fair enough I guess, but my complaint was really just the more general "why do mod authors change things unrelated to their mod and then not even document it". Even then, this was just irritating, and wouldn't even have been all that irritating if it wasn't compounded by my lack of internet.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Fair enough. Arbitrary changing of start/end dates is one of the things that usually makes me stay the hell away from a mod.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
In preparation for EU4 save conversion, I decided to run a quick game from the 1337 start as Scotland. I figured things couldn't get too far off the rails with only 100-odd years, especially if I intentionally refrained from blobbing.

Boy, that was a naive assumption.

Let's take a look at the Known World in 1437, shall we?

The Byzantines are hanging on by a thread in Thessaloniki, having been evicted from Constantinople by the Genovese. The Ottomans scarcely fare any better; the Eretnids are the largest Turkish power, but Candar isn't doing too badly for themselves either. Venice appears to be the real power player in the region; I'd estimate they're easily within the ten most powerful states.

The Timurids are of course being their usual selves. Bonus points for spotting the remnants of HRE Jerusalem.

---

Timurids have formed the Polish-Lithuanian Khanate. Golden Horde has steadily been losing ground to Novgorodian Rus, but they still steadfastly hold onto Wallachia.

More Candar territory in Crimea. Hungary looking surprisingly de jure (current civil war notwithstanding).

---

Italy's a tad chaotic, but that's perfectly normal for the time period. Note the further Venetian hegemony.

---

As usual, I have no idea what's going on in France. I can find no indication of how the (English) King of Navarra ended up with Aquitaine and Flanders. Note that some of the duchies are rebelling from France and others from Navarra.

Also, the King of Navarra is pressing his claim on France and winning.

---

...okay, I can explain what Lithuania is doing there, but the rest of this madness is beyond my understanding.

At one point there was a Jihad launched to reclaim Andalusia, which promptly failed. Presumably the Muslims saw this mess, said "gently caress this", and went home.

---

Lastly, my home. The King of England resides somewhere in Germany, since Wales controls London (but 0% of Wales proper). Navarra's here too; the king is also Duke of Gloucester and Deheubarth.

Scotireland is obviously my doing, as is Lithuania-Portugal-Andalusia not only controlling Ulster, but reigning from there.

---
Other regions: HRE is stable at Medium crown authority (was High for a bit), Africa is boring, and Sweden controls most of Scandinavia.

Let's see how much crazier this can get in 16 years.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Yeah, reloading was the right answer. Now I have content for another two updates and things are still going crazy, but they're doing it in an interesting manner. Much better.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Zurai posted:

I already stated I know how to change the end date, thanks. I'm making a valid, and again admittedly minor, complaint. If you don't like it, feel free to stop complaining about me complaining so this mini-conversation ends.

Ahahahahaha, man you are worked up about video game mods.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Zurai posted:

If you do want to import to EU4, it might be worth noting that while vanilla CK2 runs through 1453, EU4's start date is 11 November, 1444.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

My current vanilla game, going from a 1081 start and forming the Latin Empire, hasn't gotten quite as crazy as Timurid Lithuania. :smith:

Although... Wales is united under the king of Greece, a Welshman who controls Samos, Cyprus and all of Wales, and even keeps his capital in Wales. And the Fatimids won a jihad for Portugal, so there's that too. Goddamn Mongols had to mess up Cumania too, which was sad since they were poised to become a Cuman equivalent to Russia, down to the Orthodoxy and everything.

e: and Normandy turns out to be the 'Petty Kingdom of Normandy', ruled by Irishmen.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 8, 2013

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Omnicarus posted:

Ahahahahaha, man you are worked up about video game mods.

gently caress you, changing the end date is really stupid and doesn't belong in that mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Uh, changing the end date is not a huge deal. No reason to get worked up about not getting a popup in 1453.

• Locked thread