Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

I fervently stuck to single action revolvers. That's the real way to play, none of those new fangled nancy pussy semi-automatics.

Double-Action Revolver or bust, friend :clint:

Even when I unlock better weapons in PvP I still rely on my trusty Double Action. It's stylish and effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Double Action solely for the noise it makes.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I wish there was a way you could go back and use the explosive rifle in the duels.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

isk posted:

Double Action solely for the noise it makes.

Eugh, I go out of my way to use the volcanic pistol which I think sounds much better.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I use the hi power pistol because it sounds awesome and it looks cool.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
LeMat or :frogout:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Fuzz posted:

Historial LeMats had a 9-shot cylinder.. and a shotgun shell you fired from a pistol-length barrel with a second trigger. I wish they'd put that into the game. :clint:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

blackguy32 posted:

I use the hi power pistol because it sounds awesome and it looks cool.

The most important reason to use the high power pistol is because it's the gun Ross himself gives to John. Return to sender, cocksucker.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I like to think that Jack went back to the ranch and became an honest man after that one act of violence. John had worked so hard to reform and start a family, it's a :smith: thing to think Jack throws it away for a life of violence and being an outlaw.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

OldMemes posted:

I like to think that Jack went back to the ranch and became an honest man after that one act of violence. John had worked so hard to reform and start a family, it's a :smith: thing to think Jack throws it away for a life of violence and being an outlaw.

In my world he goes around hog-tying people and leaving them on the railroad tracks in front of on-coming trains.

fungi^2
Oct 2, 2004

people say i'm a fun guy
I recently picked this up to see what all the fuss was about. About five hours in now, and I'm getting murdered by random encounters pretty regularly. Is this normal? Is there any way to increase the number of hits you can take?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Not really. Won't be long before you'll know all the types of random encounters well enough to spot them at a distance and prepare accordingly - which is less complicated than it sounds. Simply have the right weapon ready on the approach, and steer your horse accordingly. In the meantime, Medicine and Deadeye/Tobacco will get you through most of them.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Fuzz posted:

Wisdom right here.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

fungi^2 posted:

I recently picked this up to see what all the fuss was about. About five hours in now, and I'm getting murdered by random encounters pretty regularly. Is this normal? Is there any way to increase the number of hits you can take?

Nope. Damage always remains static. The only thing the difficulty slider changes is how forgiving the auto-aim is. With the difficulty slider all the way up it's thankfully non-existent.

And to expand on consumables/dead-eye in regards to survivability I would recommend saving dead-eye for those really tricky shots while on horseback or as an "oh poo poo" button when you're in over your head and about to die. I also found that the cover system to be kind of clunky, as cover systems always are, and found that merely crouching manually behind cover to be not only more effective but also allows you to shoot without exposing your entire torso when you take aim. Food for thought. Tool around with everything a little bit and eventually something will click for you.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 5, 2013

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
Just finished the last mission including strangers and hunting shooting challenges, I'm slowly ticking off the gambling challenges for the outfits which is a complete bore I hate playing cards in real life so having no real knowledge about card play and zero interest in learning its a bit of a drag to what has been a great game.

My only other gripe is you'd think in 3 years passing, Blackwater would have finished it's roads

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
My son, who's nine, played through the entire main storyline (on hardcore, no less) playing John Marston as a good guy, only rarely accidentally killing civilians. After switching to Jack, he's become a total maniac, tying up people and feeding them to coyotes or rolling them off cliffs, setting tables full of poker players on fire, the works.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

^ Might want to spoil that. Just in case some poor sap stumbles across it.

fungi^2
Oct 2, 2004

people say i'm a fun guy

fennesz posted:

Nope. Damage always remains static. The only thing the difficulty slider changes is how forgiving the auto-aim is. With the difficulty slider all the way up it's thankfully non-existent.

And to expand on consumables/dead-eye in regards to survivability I would recommend saving dead-eye for those really tricky shots while on horseback or as an "oh poo poo" button when you're in over your head and about to die. I also found that the cover system to be kind of clunky, as cover systems always are, and found that merely crouching manually behind cover to be not only more effective but also allows you to shoot without exposing your entire torso when you take aim. Food for thought. Tool around with everything a little bit and eventually something will click for you.

Thanks! I haven't found dead-eye yet but read up a bit and it looks very helpful. Having trouble with the consumables, by the time I can tell I need them it seems like the time-to-drink is longer than how long it takes me to die.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
After seeing the lost planet 2 revival, is anyone interested in an xbox 360 multiplayer comeback? Maybe organize one night a week for some gang matches.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

always be closing posted:

After seeing the lost planet 2 revival, is anyone interested in an xbox 360 multiplayer comeback? Maybe organize one night a week for some gang matches.

I would be up for this. My xbox is collecting dust currently and I could use something to justify buying another year of LIVE.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

always be closing posted:

I actually might do this as long as the gang matches are hardcore :banjo:

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Is there any way to get beaver pelts before you have access to Tall Trees?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

*edit - better way spelled out below

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
You could use the Tall Trees glitch and get there early. Get a bounty and a posse after you in Macfarlane's ranch, and ride straight north towards the train tracks. There will be a waterfall and a little cliff to the left of the waterfall, get off your horse and make your way up towards that cliff. Once you get far enough, the top of your screen will read Tall Trees. Get arrested up there and you'll be teleported to Blackwater.

If you get yourself the American Standardbred horse while you're up there, you'll be able to go fast enough to jump the gap from West Elizabeth into Thieve's Landing :toot:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Holy crap, I didn't know about that glitch. Can you buy the guns and stuff up there, too?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Some may not be unlocked until specific story events, but I was able to buy the Explosive Rifle last I tried. It's a pretty great glitch, especially if you want to use the Legend of the West outfit for more than the final stretch of the game.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
I really enjoy this games but in short spurts. Last time I played was a few months ago.
How do you activate dead eye? And is there any tips to find missions? I felt I was just kinda roaming around until I found one. I haven't earned any outfits yet if that is any indication.

Although I never get tired of roaming around, shooting at random animals or punching horses.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

iLikeMidgets posted:

I really enjoy this games but in short spurts. Last time I played was a few months ago.
How do you activate dead eye? And is there any tips to find missions? I felt I was just kinda roaming around until I found one. I haven't earned any outfits yet if that is any indication.

Although I never get tired of roaming around, shooting at random animals or punching horses.

The letters on your map indicate important NPCs that have jobs for you. You primarily move the story along by going to those people and doing stuff for them. You gain access to Dead Eye in one of the early story missions; until then, you can't use it.

If you've got a couple hundred bucks to play with, you can easily get another outfit. Go into your inventory, use your camp, and then fast travel to Thieves' Landing. The tailor there can sell you a fancy suit. Be careful while you're there; it is a shithole town full of liars and jerks and there is no law to speak of, so you might be assaulted at random or stumble upon various nefarious acts in progress.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Angry Diplomat posted:

The letters on your map indicate important NPCs that have jobs for you. You primarily move the story along by going to those people and doing stuff for them. You gain access to Dead Eye in one of the early story missions; until then, you can't use it.

If you've got a couple hundred bucks to play with, you can easily get another outfit. Go into your inventory, use your camp, and then fast travel to Thieves' Landing. The tailor there can sell you a fancy suit. Be careful while you're there; it is a shithole town full of liars and jerks and there is no law to speak of, so you might be assaulted at random or stumble upon various nefarious acts in progress.

Thanks alot. That really helps. I'm going to try to put a few hours a week into this game. All the recent spoilers sounds exciting.

I believe I've already got dead eye but it's been so long since I played I don't recall how to activate it.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Dead Eye is clicking in the right thumbstick while aiming. You learn two more levels of it throughout the game, but you always have Level 1 from the start.

e: How do you get arrested? I've played this game from launch, and everybody just shoots me to death even if I stand still with no gun out..

Bloodcider fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 18, 2013

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Folks will usually take a shot or two before they start creeping in to attempt an arrest. You need to get to cover, holster your gun, and then stand still; when someone comes over to try to flush you out, he might shoot you once but then he'll stand there and hold you at gunpoint for an arrest. If nobody is coming over, try to peek out where only one person can see you, then stand still. Don't move unless he's clearly just going to keep shooting - if you move during an attempted surrender it seems to make the lawmen a lot more squirrelly and it can be really hard to surrender without just getting shot in the face after that.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Just when I think I've seen most things in this games I find out today that there's safe-breaking. Oh RDR I love you so :allears:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

What would yall say is the quickest way to make lots of money in this game? I want to buy the explosive rifle but that thing is pretty pricey. Hunting beavers and buffalo?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

What would yall say is the quickest way to make lots of money in this game? I want to buy the explosive rifle but that thing is pretty pricey. Hunting beavers and buffalo?

Five finger filet can get you fast cash once get the pattern dialed in.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Hunting in Tall Trees nets a lot of cash, too.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Hunting beavers and buffalo?

Bears, as well. Be sure to sell 'em in Mexico.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Blue Raider posted:

Hunting in Tall Trees nets a lot of cash, too.

Especially when you pot thirty bears in a row faster than you can skin them because the game just loving does that sometimes.

Just in case anyone's new to this game and it hasn't been said in a while (and especially when you have like 30 bear carcasses to skin), you can get out of the skinning animation by parking your horse right on top of the corpse. You'll have the skin prompt before you're even fully dismounted... hit it, and you'll just get the tooltip of what you took off the corpse.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

5er posted:

Just in case anyone's new to this game and it hasn't been said in a while (and especially when you have like 30 bear carcasses to skin), you can get out of the skinning animation by parking your horse right on top of the corpse. You'll have the skin prompt before you're even fully dismounted... hit it, and you'll just get the tooltip of what you took off the corpse.

You are a saint.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

OldMemes posted:

I don't know why we should assume that Jack becomes an outlaw. Ross was a scumbag and the only thing that made him any different from an outlaw was that he had a badge and the law to help him carry out his murders, and got awarded and praised for it. That son of a bitch deserved every bullet he got, and I don't think giving them to him makes you a bad guy, that's just how you roll in the wicky wicky wild wild west.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

The hostiles in that game are such homicidal psychopathic caricatures anyway, Jack can get a very reasonable benefit of the doubt as being a better man than his father. No matter how ethically you go about it you will slay a shitload of dudes on your way to finishing the game, but you can still feel Jack is a better person.

• Locked thread